NYU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bhan87

Silver

Re: NYU 2011

Post by bhan87 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:17 pm

shoop wrote:Is anyone else trying to do Columbia ASW and NYU ASW in one trip, March 30-April 1?

Any ideas on where to stay for cheap? Does either school offer a cheap hotel block or help you find current students to crash with? I don't care if I stay near one or the other or even right in between... I'll need to learn to navigate NYC public transit at some point anyways.
Columbia's Admitted Student Handbook (the big binder they mail) has a list of current students willing to provide accommodations. It's in the back of the Visiting Columbia section. I don't think this list is online anywhere so you might have to wait till you get the package with the binder.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:53 pm

swampthang wrote:
dot wrote:For housing with current students, I found it helpful to check with student groups that have reached out to me.
You mean besides just the standard admissions welcome group??
Yea, like minority student groups of various sorts

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:56 pm

dot wrote:
swampthang wrote:
dot wrote:For housing with current students, I found it helpful to check with student groups that have reached out to me.
Ah, I feel the love :D When I read "student groups" I keep thinking that the Tiddlywinks Club has been directed to contact a few potential team members, but then I get upset because I was an internationally competitive tiddllywinker and haven't heard anything from them. And I guess I did get something from a graduate of my alma mater, so I'm not totally out in the cold.

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Anyone else who went DLS on 2/17 not get their envelopes yet?? I've been able to sign in to the ASW for a week now, got the email about financial aid today, and still no envelope.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:16 pm

shoop wrote:Is anyone else trying to do Columbia ASW and NYU ASW in one trip, March 30-April 1?

Any ideas on where to stay for cheap? Does either school offer a cheap hotel block or help you find current students to crash with? I don't care if I stay near one or the other or even right in between... I'll need to learn to navigate NYC public transit at some point anyways.
theyre very easy to get between, even if you dont know ny or the transit system well. the 1 goes between both (a couple blocks away from nyu) or you can just take another closer train from the village and connect to the 1. same thing. its quick and takes like 20 minutes. when youre at cls you get off, walk right through the campus core and youre there. and the nyu class of 2014 facebook group social chair is helping students on there find others to crash with so check that out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nerdherder

New

Post by nerdherder » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:43 pm

swampthang wrote:
dot wrote:
swampthang wrote:
Ah, I feel the love :D When I read "student groups" I keep thinking that the Tiddlywinks Club has been directed to contact a few potential team members, but then I get upset because I was an internationally competitive tiddllywinker and haven't heard anything from them. And I guess I did get something from a graduate of my alma mater, so I'm not totally out in the cold.
I'm also really disappointed that the NYU Tiddlywink team is so selective about its recruiting this year. I blame the economy :)
Last edited by nerdherder on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm in via ASweb as of tonight, though I'm still waiting on the big purple envelope. Getting your first acceptance feels pretty good. :D

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:15 am

nerfherder wrote:
swampthang wrote:
I'm also really disappointed that the NYU Tiddlywink team is so selective about its recruiting this year. I blame the economy :)
Travel ain't cheap. And don't even get me started on equipment.

helloperson

Bronze

Post by helloperson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:15 am

It looks like last cycle NYU sent all the rejects/WLs about a month after the vast majority of admits, and it looks like this cycle is shaping up to be similar. I will give it another two weeks before I completely lose what 16% hope I had.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:57 am

helloperson wrote:It looks like last cycle NYU sent all the rejects/WLs about a month after the vast majority of admits, and it looks like this cycle is shaping up to be similar. I will give it another two weeks before I completely lose what 16% hope I had.
Dammit and I thought the longer the better. No auto reject huh?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 am

helloperson wrote:It looks like last cycle NYU sent all the rejects/WLs about a month after the vast majority of admits, and it looks like this cycle is shaping up to be similar. I will give it another two weeks before I completely lose what 16% hope I had.
Last year all the RD waitlists came in April.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =5&type=jd

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:02 pm

eskimo wrote:
Last year all the RD waitlists came in April.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =5&type=jd
Very late in April.

InformationOVERLOAD

New

Post by InformationOVERLOAD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

cmon let's keep it positive . . .

and for the sake of those of us who still languish "under review," could you accepted folk take the ASW conversation to the "In at NYU" thread? We're happy for you, but seeing the thread bumped and then finding that it's just the admits talking about hotels makes me feel a little, you know, defeated and suicidal. K thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Guy

New

Post by Guy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:27 pm

+1
InformationOVERLOAD wrote:cmon let's keep it positive . . .

and for the sake of those of us who still languish "under review," could you accepted folk take the ASW conversation to the "In at NYU" thread? We're happy for you, but seeing the thread bumped and then finding that it's just the admits talking about hotels makes me feel a little, you know, defeated and suicidal. K thanks!

ppch

New

Post by ppch » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:16 pm

So... I know this has been discussed previously, but I'm dreading that late April WL pool. I'm going to be attending a class at NYU tomorrow morning. After I go, I'm planning on writing a letter about my impressions of the school, etc., highlighting the fact that NYU is really my first choice (not emphasized on my original application, unfortunately). I was originally planning on saving this to be used as a LOCI in the (quite possible) event that I am waitlisted, but I'm also kind of wondering if it would be better to send this pre-waitlist. Thoughts?

tguk53

New

Post by tguk53 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:54 pm

[/quote]

+1

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:21 pm

I actually think that a late April WL is positive because it means there are almost 2 months in which you could be accepted before any WL's go out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ppch

New

Post by ppch » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:39 pm

bdubs wrote:
I actually think that a late April WL is positive because it means there are almost 2 months in which you could be accepted before any WL's go out.
Now you're talkin'!

happyfeet

New

Post by happyfeet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:43 pm

tagged

InformationOVERLOAD

New

Post by InformationOVERLOAD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Do you think that setting myself aflame in the middle of Washington Square Park (ala courageous North Africans) would count as a "letter of continued interest?" Or is that coming on too strong?

Join me, brethren; we'll overthrow the admissions staff and simply admit ourselves!

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:47 pm

InformationOVERLOAD wrote:Do you think that setting myself aflame in the middle of Washington Square Park (ala courageous North Africans) would count as a "letter of continued interest?" Or is that coming on too strong?

Join me, brethren; we'll overthrow the admissions staff and simply admit ourselves!
Would probably work, assuming you survived the inferno.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

InformationOVERLOAD

New

Post by InformationOVERLOAD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:52 pm

RJ127 wrote:
InformationOVERLOAD wrote:Do you think that setting myself aflame in the middle of Washington Square Park (ala courageous North Africans) would count as a "letter of continued interest?" Or is that coming on too strong?

kind of cheating to do it without "skin in the game," but hey, admissions are competitive!

--LinkRemoved--

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:55 pm

InformationOVERLOAD wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

kind of cheating to do it without "skin in the game," but hey, admissions are competitive!

--LinkRemoved--
Quit while you're ahead behind, please.

InformationOVERLOAD

New

Post by InformationOVERLOAD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 pm

InformationOVERLOAD wrote:--ImageRemoved--