NYU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NYC_7911

Re: NYU 2011

Postby NYC_7911 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:44 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:If you can find something close to any train stop, the safer you will be, especially in neighborhoods like Bed Stuy or East Williamsburg BUSHWICK. (Sorry, pet peeve. East Williamsburg does not exist).

I have a lot of friends in Crown Heights, for example, which can get SUPER shady in some parts, but they are all essentially sitting right on top of the 2/3 stop so they are in a fairly gentrified/Hasidic neighborhood, and I've been to and from there plenty of times and felt fine.

Haha that's right, I have heard that about "East Williamsburg." Very true about proximity to a subway stop. I just want to make sure I feel entirely comfortable coming back late at night alone, etc. I'm very comfortable in the city and not at all unreasonably nervous about sketchy neighborhoods, but at the same time I want to be smart about it. Ideally, I'd like to be near the first couple stops on the L in Williamsburg, and a friend of mine had a great 1BR there for $1400/month. I haven't really looked into it enough to get a sense of whether that's an anomaly, though. Anyway, thanks for the input!

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:48 pm

ppch wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
somewhere wrote:I'm not a New Yorker, so please clarify:

What's wrong with Washington Heights?

Nothing there, everything closes early, no good grocery stores, three bars.

Yes. I've lived off the A in Brooklyn and Washington Heights, and unless you need to be in upper Manhattan (e.g., Columbia), Brooklyn's a better choice for my money. More aesthetically pleasing (brownstones), closer to fun things to do. I feel like people are often inclined to live in Washington Heights rather than Brooklyn because they really want to live in Manhattan, but it's so different from living on the Upper West Side or in the Village.

Hopefully all of this know-it-all behavior will not hurt my getting-into-NYU karma! Oh please!

Man, that's exactly how I feel :(

And you're exactly right - people live in Wash Heights because they feel some kind of stigma about living in Brooklyn.

Which is really stupid, honestly.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:51 pm

NYC_7911 wrote:
Zarathustraspoke wrote:
From Bed-Stuy to NYU Law Building if you're close to any train it should not take you more than half hour... Bed-Stuy is one of those neighborhoods that is becoming a little nicer than it was a few years ago(it use to be and still kinda is a war zone out there)

This is what intimidates me about looking in Brooklyn--the obviously good neighborhoods are $, and I feel like you have to have a good feel of the neighborhood down to level of several blocks if you're looking in Bed-Stuy/E. Williamsburg. Thoughts from Brooklynites? I live in NJ (hour commute to NYU), but I obviously want to be closer for school, and Brooklyn is a top option.

I would recommend the Kensington neighborhood extremely highly. I believe it is the Brooklyn neighborhood with the best combination of affordability and safety. It is a little farther out than most of the cool neighborhoods - from the Church Avenue station to 4th St (NYU) would take about 30-35 minutes on the F line or 25-30 if you transfer to the A/C at Jay St. However, the prices are worth it. It's definitely not a hip and exciting neighborhood, but there is a 24-hour grocery store with a lot of options, and lots of random fun 99 cent stores. Moreover, it is like a diversity mecca, with tons of nationalities living in the area, and everything from a polish butcher to a great taquieria right nearby. I have never felt unsafe (more than to stay aware of my surroundings), even walking home alone after 2 in the morning. It's a stone's throw from Prospect Park, where you can go running or walking or just chill at the lake. And my boyfriend and I pay $1175 for a 1.5 bedroom apartment with lots of space, in good shape and with a responsive management company. (Most of these characteristics would also be true of the abutting Windsor Terrace neighborhood.)

There's also Ditmas Park, which is right next to Kensington, a little farther out from the city. Most of the old mansions over there are still full houses, but a few are converted to apts and would be great places to rent - not crazy expensive. Cortelyou Road has a lot of nice restaurants - everything from Tibetan to a hummus place to a really nice "foodie" place with reasonable prices and awesome little dishes. There's something of a community vibe to the neighborhood - the businesses go out of their way to build one, I think. From there you'd be taking the Q or B, and I think you might have to transfer to get to NYU, not sure how long it would take. You also might want to be careful around that neighborhood at night if you're closer to Flatbush than Coney Island - I'm not sure because I'm not there super late a lot.

I looove to write about my South Brooklyn neighborhoods! Wish I were going to get into NYU so I could stay out there... sigh.

Edit: Whoops, sorry, I didn't read about your wanting to be on the L. Well, these are still worth considering :)

agora139

Postby agora139 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:39 pm

hi! quick off topic question: i applied 11/9, but emailed them to hold my app for the december lsat. i've since gotten that score, and it's been sent to nyu, so i should be complete. however, my status checker says 'application being processed' and the date is still 11/9. should i be worried, or contact them?

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:40 pm

agora139 wrote:hi! quick off topic question: i applied 11/9, but emailed them to hold my app for the december lsat. i've since gotten that score, and it's been sent to nyu, so i should be complete. however, my status checker says 'application being processed' and the date is still 11/9. should i be worried, or contact them?

You should probably contact them. NYU can move quickly - and it can move slow - but that's a Cornell level of slowness.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:I would recommend the Kensington neighborhood extremely highly. I believe it is the Brooklyn neighborhood with the best combination of affordability and safety. It is a little farther out than most of the cool neighborhoods - from the Church Avenue station to 4th St (NYU) would take about 30-35 minutes on the F line or 25-30 if you transfer to the A/C at Jay St. However, the prices are worth it. It's definitely not a hip and exciting neighborhood, but there is a 24-hour grocery store with a lot of options, and lots of random fun 99 cent stores. Moreover, it is like a diversity mecca, with tons of nationalities living in the area, and everything from a polish butcher to a great taquieria right nearby. I have never felt unsafe (more than to stay aware of my surroundings), even walking home alone after 2 in the morning. It's a stone's throw from Prospect Park, where you can go running or walking or just chill at the lake. And my boyfriend and I pay $1175 for a 1.5 bedroom apartment with lots of space, in good shape and with a responsive management company. (Most of these characteristics would also be true of the abutting Windsor Terrace neighborhood.)

There's also Ditmas Park, which is right next to Kensington, a little farther out from the city. Most of the old mansions over there are still full houses, but a few are converted to apts and would be great places to rent - not crazy expensive. Cortelyou Road has a lot of nice restaurants - everything from Tibetan to a hummus place to a really nice "foodie" place with reasonable prices and awesome little dishes. There's something of a community vibe to the neighborhood - the businesses go out of their way to build one, I think. From there you'd be taking the Q or B, and I think you might have to transfer to get to NYU, not sure how long it would take. You also might want to be careful around that neighborhood at night if you're closer to Flatbush than Coney Island - I'm not sure because I'm not there super late a lot.

I looove to write about my South Brooklyn neighborhoods! Wish I were going to get into NYU so I could stay out there... sigh.

Edit: Whoops, sorry, I didn't read about your wanting to be on the L. Well, these are still worth considering :)

Thanks for this! I know even less about Kensington and further out, so that is really helpful. I'm not all that set on living in a trendy neighborhood--right now, we are living out in Jersey, and even that's not so bad...it's mostly frustrating because to get ANYWHERE in the city takes 45 minutes to an hour, and train is expensive and doesn't run late, etc. I'd be perfectly happy in an environment like you describe, and will definitely look into it. I'm not set on the L at all -- I just said that because I know it's a nice commute, interesting area, etc. Anyway, good luck with NYU...hope you get in!!

CM612

Postby CM612 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:51 pm

I lived off the Dekalb/Jefferson stop on the L about 2 years ago and my boyfriend was there this past summer. I loved it. I always felt safe and it was a quick commute to the city (20 min. to Union Sq.). Plus I know you can find rooms in the $700 range.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Another Brooklynite here to weigh in.

I've lived in Williamsburg, Clinton Hill and south Park Slope ("South Slope" is one of those made-up neighborhoods - like East Williamsburg - that real estate agents use to make the neighborhood sound more attractive. South Slope, as far as I can tell, refers to Greenwood or Windsor-Terrace, but I'm north of those, in actual Park Slope, but in the south of the neighborhood. /ramble). My favorite of those was Clinton Hill, but I ended up finding a cheaper place in Park Slope than I could in Clinton Hill (NYCers will be shocked by this. I think it's a sign of how much Clinton Hill is gentrifying.). Clinton Hill was the most diverse of those neighborhoods, which is what I liked about it. It was a great mix of young people (which is all Williamsburg has) and families (which is mostly what Park Slope has), middle-class and working-class, yuppie/hipster transplants and old-timers. That's a mix that's hard to find, and it gave the neighborhood a vibrant, up-and-coming feel without having crowded out all of the long-time residents. There are a ton of great neighborhoods in Brooklyn, each with a distinct character. I encourage you to do some research and find one that's to your liking. I expect that it'll be easy to find the cool, down-to-earth people at NYU Law - they'll be the ones living in Brooklyn. The ones who refuse to leave Manhattan will be the sheltered kids who have lived in the suburbs all their lives and think the outer boroughs are "scary."

To get you started, here's a cool story and tool by Nate Silver, the statistics whiz who does the 538 blog and NYT section, that ranks the best neighborhoods in NYC: http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/65374/. There's a feature where you can choose on a scale how important different features are, e.g., "Nightlife" or "Affordability" or "Creative Capital" and see which neighborhoods best fit your preferences.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:00 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Another Brooklynite here to weigh in.

I've lived in Williamsburg, Clinton Hill and south Park Slope ("South Slope" is one of those made-up neighborhoods - like East Williamsburg - that real estate agents use to make the neighborhood sound more attractive. South Slope, as far as I can tell, refers to Greenwood or Windsor-Terrace, but I'm north of those, in actual Park Slope, but in the south of the neighborhood. /ramble). My favorite of those was Clinton Hill, but I ended up finding a cheaper place in Park Slope than I could in Clinton Hill (NYCers will be shocked by this. I think it's a sign of how much Clinton Hill is gentrifying.). Clinton Hill was the most diverse of those neighborhoods, which is what I liked about it. It was a great mix of young people (which is all Williamsburg has) and families (which is mostly what Park Slope has), middle-class and working-class, yuppie/hipster transplants and old-timers. That's a mix that's hard to find, and it gave the neighborhood a vibrant, up-and-coming feel without having crowded out all of the long-time residents. There are a ton of great neighborhoods in Brooklyn, each with a distinct character. I encourage you to do some research and find one that's to your liking. I expect that it'll be easy to find the cool, down-to-earth people at NYU Law - they'll be the ones living in Brooklyn. The ones who refuse to leave Manhattan will be the sheltered kids who have lived in the suburbs all their lives and think the outer boroughs are "scary."

To get you started, here's a cool story and tool by Nate Silver, the statistics whiz who does the 538 blog and NYT section, that ranks the best neighborhoods in NYC: http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/65374/. There's a feature where you can choose on a scale how important different features are, e.g., "Nightlife" or "Affordability" or "Creative Capital" and see which neighborhoods best fit your preferences.

I always think South Slope=Gowanus. I have some friends who just moved there, and oh MAN I like their area.

I have to +1 pretty much everything both grumbles and habit have said here: there are lots of different excellent neighborhoods, don't be afraid of living too far out, and overspend on rent just to live in Williamsburg when there are SO many nicer neighborhoods.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Good advice and link--thanks! You speak to my concern about Williamsburg...I don't want to be in an area with all young people (let alone hipsters, but we won't get into that).

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:41 pm

NYC_7911 wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I would recommend the Kensington neighborhood extremely highly. I believe it is the Brooklyn neighborhood with the best combination of affordability and safety. It is a little farther out than most of the cool neighborhoods - from the Church Avenue station to 4th St (NYU) would take about 30-35 minutes on the F line or 25-30 if you transfer to the A/C at Jay St. However, the prices are worth it. It's definitely not a hip and exciting neighborhood, but there is a 24-hour grocery store with a lot of options, and lots of random fun 99 cent stores. Moreover, it is like a diversity mecca, with tons of nationalities living in the area, and everything from a polish butcher to a great taquieria right nearby. I have never felt unsafe (more than to stay aware of my surroundings), even walking home alone after 2 in the morning. It's a stone's throw from Prospect Park, where you can go running or walking or just chill at the lake. And my boyfriend and I pay $1175 for a 1.5 bedroom apartment with lots of space, in good shape and with a responsive management company. (Most of these characteristics would also be true of the abutting Windsor Terrace neighborhood.)

Thanks for this! I know even less about Kensington and further out, so that is really helpful. I'm not all that set on living in a trendy neighborhood--right now, we are living out in Jersey, and even that's not so bad...it's mostly frustrating because to get ANYWHERE in the city takes 45 minutes to an hour, and train is expensive and doesn't run late, etc. I'd be perfectly happy in an environment like you describe, and will definitely look into it. I'm not set on the L at all -- I just said that because I know it's a nice commute, interesting area, etc. Anyway, good luck with NYU...hope you get in!!

Awww, thanks <3

Grumbles, that tool sounds awesome! And Linzer, um, amazing new tar! :)

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Anyone here still UR 12/12 or earlier? Is it the consensus that we should be expecting dings/WL's at this point?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:46 pm

jman77 wrote:Anyone here still UR 12/12 or earlier? Is it the consensus that we should be expecting dings/WL's at this point?

I'm still UR 12/8, with a lower GPA than you. NYU's my biggest reach. I've been expecting a ding for ages now (or WL, I suppose, best-case scenario.)

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
jman77 wrote:Anyone here still UR 12/12 or earlier? Is it the consensus that we should be expecting dings/WL's at this point?

I'm still UR 12/8, with a lower GPA than you. NYU's my biggest reach. I've been expecting a ding for ages now (or WL, I suppose, best-case scenario.)

The thing is, though, my GPA is not reportable since it's international, so all I really have is my LSAT, which is a tad short of their median. Sigh.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:And Linzer, um, amazing new tar! :)

Are those drawn avatars some new trend? Is that like a TLS movement or something?

EDIT: Just saw the topic in the Lounge.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:44 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I'm UR from NOVEMBER. Do I win?

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:34 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I'm UR from NOVEMBER. Do I win?

UR 10/31. Sorry. No wins for you.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:37 pm

whathojeeves wrote:

Does that mean I have to wait another 2 months at least since I am 1/5? :shock:

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:

It means that while you're standing in line to pick up your book list at Berkeley in September, you'll feel your phone vibrate and it will be an email from NYU law.

beatrock

Postby beatrock » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:58 pm

UR 10/29

I win.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:18 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:

It means that while you're standing in line to pick up your book list at Berkeley in September, you'll feel your phone vibrate and it will be an email from NYU law.

If that is true, forget NYU - since the that means Berkeley gave me a better deal than UVa.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 pm

beatrock wrote:UR 10/29

I win.

10/22 Sorry to take this from you.

And btw. Does anyone know if it be a good idea to write a LOCI at this point?

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:21 pm

I submitted an LOCI on Monday.

justhoping

Postby justhoping » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:29 pm

jman77 wrote:I submitted an LOCI on Monday.

UR 12/2
gonna get crackinig on the LOCI, doubt it would help... seems like i'm WL-magnet...

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:33 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
beatrock wrote:UR 10/29

I win.

10/22 Sorry to take this from you.

And btw. Does anyone know if it be a good idea to write a LOCI at this point?

10/20... but I feel as though winning this game is actually losing. because i'm definitely WL/rejected. :|

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”