NYU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pink

Re: NYU 2011

Postby Pink » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Just dinged via e-mail. Guess they didn't accidentally drop my app in the admissions pile like I was hoping for :D Lol.

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Pink wrote:Just dinged via e-mail. Guess they didn't accidentally drop my app in the admissions pile like I was hoping for :D Lol.

Well, that's just fucking perfect.

(P.S. I don't really like Pink, but that song is decent. ): sorry about the ding)

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Pink wrote:Just dinged via e-mail. Guess they didn't accidentally drop my app in the admissions pile like I was hoping for :D Lol.

Sorry, Pink :( Just curious, does your status checker say DLS 1/26?

Pink

Postby Pink » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:59 pm

ilovemulch wrote:

Still says UR 12/9, though I'm guessing it'll probably update soon. I'll let you know if/when it does :)

Pink

Postby Pink » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Pink wrote:
ilovemulch wrote:

Still says UR 12/9, though I'm guessing it'll probably update soon. I'll let you know if/when it does :)

Oops, just changed. DL sent 1/26.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Pink wrote:
Pink wrote:
ilovemulch wrote:

Oops, just changed. DL sent 1/26.

Sorry, Pink :( Awaiting mine any minute...

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm under review 12/16 . . . so I guess I will be receiving my ding email soon :oops:

Pink

Postby Pink » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Sorry, Pink :( Awaiting mine any minute...

Thanks :) I'm not too bummed, my #'s are way under their 25ths so I was expecting it. But, had to throw in a 'what if' application anyway :) GL Everyone!

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Pink wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Sorry, Pink :( Awaiting mine any minute...

Thanks :) I'm not too bummed, my #'s are way under their 25ths so I was expecting it. But, had to throw in a 'what if' application anyway :) GL Everyone!

Heh, I'm in the same boat (UR since 12/20) and I fully expect to get beaten like a red headed step-child.

Although, I entertain with a certain diabolical relish that this may induce one of my recommenders to stop dumping truck loads of cash on a certain academic institution at Washington Square

Actually, there's little chance of that happening, but my poor, bruised little ego can dream!

PS: I hope everyone who *does* get in goes - especially anyone who got into CLS as well. I spent the bulk of my young life before college within pissing distance of Columbia, and I'll be damned if I don't wish my family had lived near NYU instead.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Guicciardini wrote:PS: I hope everyone who *does* get in goes - especially anyone who got into CLS as well. I spent the bulk of my young life before college within pissing distance of Columbia, and I'll be damned if I don't wish my family had lived near NYU instead.

why?

Oracl3

Postby Oracl3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Guicciardini wrote:PS: I hope everyone who *does* get in goes - especially anyone who got into CLS as well. I spent the bulk of my young life before college within pissing distance of Columbia, and I'll be damned if I don't wish my family had lived near NYU instead.

why?

Morningside Heights = Siberia

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:

why?

From lurking, r6, I am to understand that you have a young child. A son, correct?

In that case, I would actually reverse my recommendation. For young parents, and especially for a small child, the Upper Upper West Side (this isn't really a formal designation, I just mean to include the 90s) and Morningside Heights is a truly spectacular place. You've got a great selection of schools, Riverside Park (I grew up at 420 Riverside Drive, so I'm biased), etc.

But the advantage is that the university definitely lowers the COL vis a vis other parts of Manhattan (there's no way my parents could have afforded an apartment as huge as the one we had in most parts of the city), and just as importantly, the Columbia security forces act as an extremely powerful auxillary of the NYPD. Frankly, the best indicator is that if you walk about the park or Broadway on a weekend late morning or early afternoon, you're going to see loads of families with small children, and I can't think of a better example than that.

Finally, if you've got a spouse, the 1-2-3 system is *vastly* less prone to the kind of delays that one (for example, myself or my mother) see on the Lexington avenue lines, and they allow a really easy commute into Midtown or even into the southern part of the island (which is extremely helpful if your spouse is engaged in one of New York's principal industries)

If you want a more detailed weighing of CLS vs NYU from this perspective, by all means PM me, and as long as I'm not busy at work, I'll try to respond. Hell, if you'd like, I could even put you in touch with my old Headmistress, since my old school begins in Nursery or so.

Oh, and Morningside Heights sucks ass for younger, single law students. Especially since those who aren't as familiar with The City won't even realize what they're missing by being ridiculously far from Brooklyn, for example.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Guicciardini wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

why?

From lurking, r6, I am to understand that you have a young child. A son, correct?

In that case, I would actually reverse my recommendation. For young parents, and especially for a small child, the Upper Upper West Side (this isn't really a formal designation, I just mean to include the 90s) and Morningside Heights is a truly spectacular place. You've got a great selection of schools, Riverside Park (I grew up at 420 Riverside Drive, so I'm biased), etc.

But the advantage is that the university definitely lowers the COL vis a vis other parts of Manhattan (there's no way my parents could have afforded an apartment as huge as the one we had in most parts of the city), and just as importantly, the Columbia security forces act as an extremely powerful auxillary of the NYPD. Frankly, the best indicator is that if you walk about the park or Broadway on a weekend late morning or early afternoon, you're going to see loads of families with small children, and I can't think of a better example than that.

Finally, if you've got a spouse, the 1-2-3 system is *vastly* less prone to the kind of delays that one (for example, myself or my mother) see on the Lexington avenue lines, and they allow a really easy commute into Midtown or even into the southern part of the island (which is extremely helpful if your spouse is engaged in one of New York's principal industries)

If you want a more detailed weighing of CLS vs NYU from this perspective, by all means PM me, and as long as I'm not busy at work, I'll try to respond. Hell, if you'd like, I could even put you in touch with my old Headmistress, since my old school begins in Nursery or so.

Oh, and Morningside Heights sucks ass for younger, single law students. Especially since those who aren't as familiar with The City won't even realize what they're missing by being ridiculously far from Brooklyn, for example.

Wow, thanks for that! Really really informative. I will hit you up if I get that purple or vomit! (neither so far lol). I don't actually know if I would move up there if I get in and choose to attend. I have family in Bronx that I can get a room from for probably free/very little, and I can commute back home on weekend/light days. I don't think I need to get into any more debt than what I would be paying :lol: but it's really nice to know that the options are there and it's family friendly.

Thanks again! Hopefully I will have more questions at a later time! :mrgreen:

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Guicciardini wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

why?

Wow, thanks for that! Really really informative. I will hit you up if I get that purple or vomit! (neither so far lol). I don't actually know if I would move up there if I get in and choose to attend. I have family in Bronx that I can get a room from for probably free/very little, and I can commute back home on weekend/light days. I don't think I need to get into any more debt than what I would be paying :lol: but it's really nice to know that the options are there and it's family friendly.

Thanks again! Hopefully I will have more questions at a later time! :mrgreen:

If God, the saints, and Tom Trump Supporter Brady smile on my application, then perhaps we can do this at the NYU ASW ;)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Guicciardini wrote:If God, the saints, and Tom Trump Supporter Brady smile on my application, then perhaps we can do this at the NYU ASW ;)

Haha I am at 1/5 UR, nervous.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Guicciardini wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

why?

That is not a good look for me.

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:15 pm

so what you're basically saying is.... even if i happen to get into CLS, I should choose NYU? hahaha cause that would calm some nerves after constantly freshing the CLS thread.

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:19 pm

glitched wrote:so what you're basically saying is.... even if i happen to get into CLS, I should choose NYU? hahaha cause that would calm some nerves after constantly freshing the CLS thread.

Unless you're certain that in about 30 to 40 years time a president of your political persuasion will pick you - after conferring with party leaders in Congress, major donors, and their own political and legal staffs - out of the many thousands and tens of thousands of lawyers in this country to join the world's most exclusive and powerful geriatric ward since the Politburo went out of business...

...then yes.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Guicciardini wrote:
glitched wrote:so what you're basically saying is.... even if i happen to get into CLS, I should choose NYU? hahaha cause that would calm some nerves after constantly freshing the CLS thread.

Unless you're certain that in about 30 to 40 years time a president of your political persuasion will pick you - after conferring with party leaders in Congress, major donors, and their own political and legal staffs - out of the many thousands and tens of thousands of lawyers in this country to join the world's most exclusive and powerful geriatric ward since the Politburo went out of business...

...then yes.

So you're saying there's a chance...

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Guicciardini wrote:

...then yes.

damn........ well, in that case, then i think my choice is clear: CLS.

LOL I am a CA native born and raised so I'm kind of just looking for that a new cool awesome hip experience.

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:36 pm

glitched wrote:
Guicciardini wrote:

...then yes.

damn........ well, in that case, then i think my choice is clear: CLS.

LOL I am a CA native born and raised so I'm kind of just looking for that a new cool awesome hip experience.

The Upper West Side is many things.

New, cool, awesome, and hip it is not.

But if you want a killer pre-war building with views of the Hudson, then you're set!

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:40 pm

okay i have NO idea what you're talking about. I don't know if upper west side is near CLS, NYU, or who knows where? LOl all those places mean nothing to me.

EDIT: let's take this to PMs. Unless someone on this thread is also interested.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 pm

glitched wrote:okay i have NO idea what you're talking about. I don't know if upper west side is near CLS, NYU, or who knows where? LOl all those places mean nothing to me.

EDIT: let's take this to PMs. Unless someone on this thread is also interested.

I'm actually kind of interested. I know absolutely NOTHING about NYC. Not that I know whether or not CLS is an option for me yet.

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:54 pm

GAH still UR 11/22.....chinese water torture.

mm202

Postby mm202 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Sgtpeppernyc wrote:GAH still UR 11/22.....chinese water torture.

same. :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”