NYU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sgtgrumbles

Re: NYU 2011

Postby sgtgrumbles » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Let's bear in mind that the most recent entering class had 476 students. Obviously many more acceptances than that went out. Since LSN data only encompasses a fraction of the total applicants, we can't draw too many conclusions from it. I don't know what NYU's yield is, or what proportion of those 476 students were ED candidates (is that data available?), but needless to say, hundreds and hundreds more acceptances will be sent out.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:54 pm

LSN way out of date, shit. Forget about the post.
Last edited by dissonance1848 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:13 pm

All you 12/15 people with decision letters sent on that date... are you feeling nervous yet? On which day do you think we'll be receiving the letters this week? I really hope it comes tomorrow or Tuesday, as I'm flying out on Wednesday. If I get accepted when I'm gone, it will be very hard for me to withdraw from other schools quickly (though I doubt it will be an acceptance.... I'm an ED with a low LSAT).

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:14 pm

arism87 wrote:
dbrddr wrote:Fo like the bergillionth time, I may not be able to go because of the SO's grad-school application situation. If it turns out that Y and H aren't even options for me, then yes, it would be pretty sweet to have numerous other options so the soon-to-be newlyweds don't have to live apart for 3 years.

*no one gets me*

This is why I can never have a boyfriend. If I got into Yale, I'd never look back, lol

+1 :)

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:19 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:NYU accepts around 1450-1550 applicants a year, which is around 400 more than CLS. So, if you are borderline or splitter, your shot at NYU is a many times more than at CLS.

Check LSN for stats and accepts and yield.

Where did you find that #? I estimated more like 1150...based on the stat from their website that only 1 out of every 7 applicants are admitted and last year they reported to have about 8,000 applications...so that comes to about 1150...

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:27 pm

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:49 pm

To the original poster, I am in a very similar situation. I can't go to the best school I can get into, because I'll be married soon. But our situation is further complicated by the fact that my fiance is on a student visa (he's a foreigner), and we actually have to live together for him to get his green card. He can't just follow me to where I go to school, as he's a grad student at a prestigous institution. So you're not alone out there... I think there are hundreds of applicants who have to consider these issues. Law school prestige doesn't have to be the deciding factor.

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
arism87 wrote:
dbrddr wrote:Fo like the bergillionth time, I may not be able to go because of the SO's grad-school application situation. If it turns out that Y and H aren't even options for me, then yes, it would be pretty sweet to have numerous other options so the soon-to-be newlyweds don't have to live apart for 3 years.

*no one gets me*

This is why I can never have a boyfriend. If I got into Yale, I'd never look back, lol

+1 :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:07 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:To the original poster, I am in a very similar situation. I can't go to the best school I can get into, because I'll be married soon. But our situation is further complicated by the fact that my fiance is on a student visa (he's a foreigner), and we actually have to live together for him to get his green card. He can't just follow me to where I go to school, as he's a grad student at a prestigous institution. So you're not alone out there... I think there are hundreds of applicants who have to consider these issues. Law school prestige doesn't have to be the deciding factor.

I am in the same position in that we are in the same school now but I may want to go to a different LS which will fit my career path better. We will have to ultimately choose to accommodate one or the other. But since I will be doing the working and producing the income, we may decide to put hers on hold while I finish. We will have to prioritize and the work out a way to make both work eventually.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:To the original poster, I am in a very similar situation. I can't go to the best school I can get into, because I'll be married soon. But our situation is further complicated by the fact that my fiance is on a student visa (he's a foreigner), and we actually have to live together for him to get his green card. He can't just follow me to where I go to school, as he's a grad student at a prestigous institution. So you're not alone out there... I think there are hundreds of applicants who have to consider these issues. Law school prestige doesn't have to be the deciding factor.

I am in the same position in that we are in the same school now but I may want to go to a different LS which will fit my career path better. We will have to ultimately choose to accommodate one or the other. But since I will be doing the working and producing the income, we may decide to put hers on hold while I finish. We will have to prioritize and the work out a way to make both work eventually.

Similar situation here... point being that although we (we definitely includes me at present) may be insanely (or secretly) jealous of those who are accepted at HYS or any other school, most people make a LS selection based on a long list of criteria- some (like SO's education/career or $) that can easily trump USNWR rankings. So maybe we could spend fewer posts hissing at those who've been tapped by x LS that we want to attend? Although if dbrddr wants to trade H/Y acceptances for my purple envelope I'm in... :P

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:04 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:All you 12/15 people with decision letters sent on that date... are you feeling nervous yet? On which day do you think we'll be receiving the letters this week? I really hope it comes tomorrow or Tuesday, as I'm flying out on Wednesday. If I get accepted when I'm gone, it will be very hard for me to withdraw from other schools quickly (though I doubt it will be an acceptance.... I'm an ED with a low LSAT).

It took one full week for me to get my letter ("Decision Letter Sent" Monday 12/6; letter received on 12/13) and I think some people's took a bit longer than that. Could you forward your mail for the break or is that too much trouble? Or do you have someone who can check it for you?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:05 pm

jd2014! wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Similar situation here... point being that although we (we definitely includes me at present) may be insanely (or secretly) jealous of those who are accepted at HYS or any other school, most people make a LS selection based on a long list of criteria- some (like SO's education/career or $) that can easily trump USNWR rankings. So maybe we could spend fewer posts hissing at those who've been tapped by x LS that we want to attend? Although if dbrddr wants to trade H/Y acceptances for my purple envelope I'm in... :P

For the record, I wasn't saying this isn't the right thing to do, just that I'm too selfish for mature relationships..lol

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:19 pm

arism87 wrote: For the record, I wasn't saying this isn't the right thing to do, just that I'm too selfish for mature relationships..lol

It's a good thing I will never be accepted to Y, because I would likely be tempted regardless of the SO. :P I think ppl were referencing up thread when someone said the HY-accepted poster should stop talking/worrying about his NYU app...

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:31 pm

I didn't follow the conversation at all... just managed to catch that some people were joking about choosing HYS over following SO. I was just putting out that there are some people who choose the latter. Not saying one way or the other is better, it's just a personal preference. :-)

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm getting married in April and I'm so glad my SO is willing to follow me wherever the path leads. Although he put the kibosh on any applications to schools in the south...

cruelestgame

Postby cruelestgame » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:14 pm

so as an ed applicant....is it definite that i would be hearing before christmas? cause it's looking like even if a decision was rendered...i'd receive it after...

IsleMet

Postby IsleMet » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Have any 12/15 EA "Decision Rendered" people checked their mail yet today? I live in Manhattan, so I would think it would be here today.

ميشيل عفلق

Postby ميشيل عفلق » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:26 pm

cruelestgame wrote:so as an ed applicant....is it definite that i would be hearing before christmas? cause it's looking like even if a decision was rendered...i'd receive it after...

this is what i'm saying-- i think we've been deferred and we'll receive a letter saying so before christmas. the status checker will stay the same. just a theory

Buffalo Bill

Postby Buffalo Bill » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:27 pm

I am an ED candidate and still haven't heard either. I went from 11/18 UR to 12/15. Nothing has updated since 12/15...

jsong10

Postby jsong10 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Shloime wrote:
ilovemulch wrote:I'd just like to note that this year we are already up to 127 pages by mid december..last year there were 167 in NYU thread at the end of April!!! Any guesses on how many this will reach by end of April? I'm guessing 225....

(think the advent of status checkers probably has something to do with it)

Shloime - ED/RD? Havent heard of anyone having multiple UR dates or 12/12 - has anyone else?

RD. And, yeah, I haven't heard anyone mention multiple UR dates either :? For the record, I think I'm a borderline applicant.

Btw, how does veryone keep track of multiple UR dates with other schools? Is everyone besides for me keeping spreadsheets, or is there some kind of way to see that info?

I am UR 12/13 if that helps...I feel like I should hear back this week, if I were to get in.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:45 pm

jsong10 wrote:
I am UR 12/13 if that helps...I feel like I should hear back this week, if I were to get in.

me too...LSN's wisdom shows that if we don't hear this week we're destined for a WL/rejection =/ I'm trying to stay positive!

czelede

Postby czelede » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Still 11/08 :(

Waiting for that WL in April...

(Why can't they just get it over with and WL me now?)

bosox777

Postby bosox777 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:51 pm

I went UR 12/8, no updates since then but received a purple envelope today! Status check still says UR though, so kinda confused...I am above both medians, so I did expect a purple envelope at some point or another.

Soda Mixer

Postby Soda Mixer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:01 pm

bosox777 wrote:I went UR 12/8, no updates since then but received a purple envelope today! Status check still says UR though, so kinda confused...I am above both medians, so I did expect a purple envelope at some point or another.

Wow, that's awesome! Based on your user name, I assume you live in New England/on the East Coast? I'm a fellow 12/8er but am in California, so I guess I shouldn't start stalking my mailman just yet. Anyway, congrats!

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:02 pm

bosox777 wrote:I went UR 12/8, no updates since then but received a purple envelope today! Status check still says UR though, so kinda confused...I am above both medians, so I did expect a purple envelope at some point or another.

wow... weird! ED/RD?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”