NYU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
law_monkey

Re: NYU 2011

Postby law_monkey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:03 am

birdlaw117 wrote:So I did some LSN searching, and for those of us receiving decision letters soon we can be pretty confident. The first RD rejects (they were before any WLs) were 1/6. There were, however, 4 ED rejects in December. One did not disclose numbers, two were significantly below NYU standards, and the other actually seemed like a reasonable candidate, so I don't know what happened there.

Basically just sharing some info to confirm what everyone has been saying about the letters in the mail right now.

But I still want to hold the envelope in my hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus they added status checkers, so I would rather wait for confirmation (while secretly being super excited and optimistic).

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:06 am

law_monkey wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:So I did some LSN searching, and for those of us receiving decision letters soon we can be pretty confident. The first RD rejects (they were before any WLs) were 1/6. There were, however, 4 ED rejects in December. One did not disclose numbers, two were significantly below NYU standards, and the other actually seemed like a reasonable candidate, so I don't know what happened there.

Basically just sharing some info to confirm what everyone has been saying about the letters in the mail right now.

But I still want to hold the envelope in my hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus they added status checkers, so I would rather wait for confirmation (while secretly being super excited and optimistic).

I completely agree. It's so hard for me to focus on my finals next week now. I really wasn't expecting to get a decision this fast. I went UR 12/3, I figured it would take more than 6 days (4 weekdays). Oh well, you won't hear any complaining from me (until I receive a rejection-filled purple envelope)

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:17 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

I completely agree. It's so hard for me to focus on my finals next week now. I really wasn't expecting to get a decision this fast. I went UR 12/3, I figured it would take more than 6 days (4 weekdays). Oh well, you won't hear any complaining from me (until I receive a rejection-filled purple envelope)

Same here! I still have 2 papers and a final left, but what have I been doing all night? Hanging out on TLS!!! But even once I get my envelope then I'm just going to stalk some other thread that I think is getting ready to release decisions. I think this is a sickness.

courtneyisfetch

Postby courtneyisfetch » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:58 am

Congrats everyone!

My status updated to Decision Sent today too! UR 11/30.

Does anyone know if NYU offers one year deferrals? I was unexpectedly offered a job and I was actually hoping to get in some work experience before law school...

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:05 am

Congrats to all! And wow, I can't physically keep up with this thread.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:05 am

courtneyisfetch wrote:Congrats everyone!

Does anyone know if NYU offers one year deferrals? I was unexpectedly offered a job and I was actually hoping to get in some work experience before law school...

I asked someone about this via PM and they said they easily deferred at NYU and that it wasn't difficult to do! All secondhand, but still good news!

courtneyisfetch

Postby courtneyisfetch » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:09 am

eskimo wrote:
courtneyisfetch wrote:Congrats everyone!

I asked someone about this via PM and they said they easily deferred at NYU and that it wasn't difficult to do! All secondhand, but still good news!

Oh!!! Thanks so much. =]

Eesh it's so hard to concentrate on finals...

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:12 am

Do you think NYU would hate us all if we just failed our last year of classes because we're too obsessed with getting our purple envelopes? I think they should admire our deep love and dedication.

courtneyisfetch

Postby courtneyisfetch » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:15 am

law_monkey wrote:

Do you think NYU would hate us all if we just failed our last year of classes because we're too obsessed with getting our purple envelopes? I think they should admire our deep love and dedication.

I'm pretty sure "deep love and dedication" are the true marks of a great law student/future lawyer. :)

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:15 am

law_monkey wrote:

I'm getting my Master's and I'm pretty sure nobody can really tell what graduate GPAs mean, so.... I think I'm good :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

I'm getting my Master's and I'm pretty sure nobody can really tell what graduate GPAs mean, so.... I think I'm good :D

It means it's getting curved to A-. I think something is seriously wrong if you get Bs. That's what some of my 2nd year friends are telling me. I don't know, I have no grades yet.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:21 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Lucky! My grades will definitely count, and I don't think I've ever done so little studying as I have this last month when decisions started rolling in. Getting accepted to law school = worst thing to ever happen to my GPA. :shock:

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:22 am

The second I got the Duke email my productivity shot down by at least 60%.

If I get T6secure, I fear for the other 40%. Spring ain't gonna be pretty.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:23 am

r6_philly wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

It means it's getting curved to A-. I think something is seriously wrong if you get Bs. That's what some of my 2nd year friends are telling me. I don't know, I have no grades yet.

My program actually gives out quite a few Bs. I've gotten 2 in my time here so far (after this semester I'm one class from having my degree). My graduate GPA is almost exactly the same as my undergrad GPA (which isn't terribly stellar). I'm in a Master of Accounting program, so it makes sense to have more of a grade disparity since it leads directly to mostly public accounting jobs.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:25 am

birdlaw117 wrote:My program actually gives out quite a few Bs. I've gotten 2 in my time here so far (after this semester I'm one class from having my degree). My graduate GPA is almost exactly the same as my undergrad GPA (which isn't terribly stellar). I'm in a Master of Accounting program, so it makes sense to have more of a grade disparity since it leads directly to mostly public accounting jobs.

Makes sense. So they curve to B+? lol Then C+ is a fail then? :lol:

I really hope to get a A+ or two because I was cheat out of them in my UG. It would be sweet to have a 4.0 +.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:25 am

eskimo wrote:The second I got the Duke email my productivity shot down by at least 60%.

If I get T6secure, I fear for the other 40%. Spring ain't gonna be pretty.

Agreed! I'm in my last lower level required class right now that I've avoided since freshman year, and it's a geology class. In a normal situation, I don't care about rocks. When I have Duke vs. Georgetown plus an NYU letter on the way, those poor rocks just don't stand a chance.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:27 am

r6_philly wrote:

I really hope to get a A+ or two because I was cheat out of them in my UG. It would be sweet to have a 4.0 +.

2 grades of C+ or worse and you either go on probation or get kicked out, I don't remember which (wasn't too worried about it). Yeah, B+ is probably the curve, maybe even B+/A-. It's sad that a B+/A- is a low curve for a grad school.

Also, really jealous about the A+ situation. I didn't have the chance in undergrad or grad school...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:47 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

2 grades of C+ or worse and you either go on probation or get kicked out, I don't remember which (wasn't too worried about it). Yeah, B+ is probably the curve, maybe even B+/A-. It's sad that a B+/A- is a low curve for a grad school.

Also, really jealous about the A+ situation. I didn't have the chance in undergrad or grad school...

Call it a benefit of paying for an Ivy? lol

I don't know if I will get it though. I am close on points, but I don't know where I stand. They like me a lot, so hopefully that helps? It's silly since I don't really need the GPA for anything but it would just be awesome to actually have a A+ for once in my life.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:04 am

Sorry to the people who hate cats. I couldn't resist. :D

--ImageRemoved--

moxiepostulate

Postby moxiepostulate » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:20 am

*shakes head*

I heart TLS. 50% lolcats, 40% neurosis, and 10% information you can't get anywhere else... We track purple envelopes across the country like local news stations track Santa during a christmas eve puff piece.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:26 am

moxiepostulate wrote:*shakes head*

I heart TLS. 50% lolcats, 40% neurosis, and 10% information you can't get anywhere else... We track purple envelopes across the country like local news stations track Santa during a christmas eve puff piece.

LOVE.

cruelestgame

Postby cruelestgame » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:18 am

dont forget like 5% hp references

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:24 am

cruelestgame wrote:dont forget like 5% hp references

10/20 still too? :cry: FML

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:51 am

TODAY?????

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:53 am

I walk-of-shamed it home, hoping to find an envelope in my mailbox.

Nothing as of yet. But if I get one today, I feel like God is condoning my actions.
Last edited by starrydreamz3 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”