NYU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
birdlaw117

Re: NYU 2011

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:37 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I'm a Brooklynite, too. I'm in Park Slope (South Slope if you roll like that). I lived in Clinton Hill until a few months ago and loved it. Anyway, I'll be waiting for a while, just went under review on 12/7...

Your UR date is 4 days after me and I got a decision sent today. Oh, and our numbers are similar...

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:I'm a Brooklynite, too. I'm in Park Slope (South Slope if you roll like that). I lived in Clinton Hill until a few months ago and loved it. Anyway, I'll be waiting for a while, just went under review on 12/7...

Your UR date is 4 days after me and I got a decision sent today. Oh, and our numbers are similar...

Gah! I hate waiting. The weekend will be a brief respite, at least. At work I probably load up the ol' NYU status checker once an hour.

Edit: That gives me hope for my app, though. Congrats!

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Good luck! Here's hoping that NYU shows Brooklyn plenty of love. The more Brooklyn folks at NYU, the more we can convince everyone else that there's more to New York than just Manhattan!

bkhopeful

Postby bkhopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 pm

good luck! [based on the stats in your profile, you shouldn't worry too much.] if i get into / go to nyu, i'm definitely staying in bk.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:48 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Gah! I hate waiting. The weekend will be a brief respite, at least. At work I probably load up the ol' NYU status checker once an hour.

Thanks! (I hope!) I have you on my LSN watch list because we have similar numbers and dates (creepy? mayyybbeee...), I bet you don't have to wait too long before you get a decision.

IncorrectReversal

Postby IncorrectReversal » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Just checked, status - Decision letter sent 12/9. Prematurely very excited!! Went under review around 11/30

Postby 4102011 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Awww thanka guys :) SUPER EXCITED. Got it as i was going to class, so I was runnin down bway clutching a purple envelope :) Will post pics of the mangled envelope once I get home!

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:00 pm

bkhopeful wrote:

good luck! [based on the stats in your profile, you shouldn't worry too much.] if i get into / go to nyu, i'm definitely staying in bk.

Yep, I'm definitely staying in BK too. I wonder for how many folks that will be the case. I feel like most folks will be in the village, but I don't really know.

Personally, I'd never move back to Manhattan.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:00 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Nice. I live in Prospect Lefferts Gardens.

santacruz

Postby santacruz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:00 pm

sew252 wrote:Just checked, status - Decision letter sent 12/9. Prematurely very excited!! Went under review around 11/30

nice. you own this sew252. the cosmos whispered it to me.

bkhopeful

Postby bkhopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:02 pm

gendefect wrote:
bkhopeful wrote:

Yep, I'm definitely staying in BK too. I wonder for how many folks that will be the case. I feel like most folks will be in the village, but I don't really know.

my boyfriend is @ nyu now, and many of his classmates/friends live in bk. he lived in a law dorm during 1L. it was a mega-ripoff (tiny room, huge fee), though he enjoyed rolling out of bed and crossing the street to class. for 2L & 3L he's lived in bk and loved it.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:04 pm

gendefect wrote:
bkhopeful wrote:

Why?

annie2010

Postby annie2010 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:05 pm

IncorrectReversal wrote:Just checked, status - Decision letter sent 12/9. Prematurely very excited!! Went under review around 11/30

Same same same...but i only applied on 11/15! I feel like its all too fast! Hopefully thats a good thing. But if youre excited maybe i will be too!

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:09 pm

Knock wrote:Still UR 11/10. Oh well, congrats everyone who has gotten in so far :mrgreen:.

Same. Congrats guys!

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm happy for you guys. Mainly because I know everyone in here worked hard.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:13 pm

thecilent wrote:
gendefect wrote:
bkhopeful wrote:

Why?

For reasons too numerous and varied to post here, especially since it would be a major thread derail (though if you'd really like to know, feel free to PM me and I'll happily write you a short novel on the topic :) ). But to generalize, essentially, Brooklyn is a) far more affordable, b) more relaxed and laid-back (and quieter), and c) it's a little more rough around the edges, as opposed to a more polished Manhattan, and I like that about it.

EDIT: I should say, that's my opinion anyway. I'm sure plenty of folks live in Manhattan and love it and some would certainly disagree with my characterization. But that's my personal feeling on the matter.

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:15 pm

annie2010 wrote:
Same same same...but i only applied on 11/15! I feel like its all too fast! Hopefully thats a good thing. But if youre excited maybe i will be too!

I Love your Tar haha!

pixystics

Postby pixystics » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:16 pm

location?

DC

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:17 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Nice. I live in Prospect Lefferts Gardens.

Hey, I'm in Kensington! Representing the non-trendy Brooklyn neighborhoods!

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:24 pm

gendefect wrote:For reasons too numerous and varied to post here, especially since it would be a major thread derail (though if you'd really like to know, feel free to PM me and I'll happily write you a short novel on the topic :) ). But to generalize, essentially, Brooklyn is a) far more affordable, b) more relaxed and laid-back (and quieter), and c) it's a little more rough around the edges, as opposed to a more polished Manhattan, and I like that about it.

EDIT: I should say, that's my opinion anyway. I'm sure plenty of folks live in Manhattan and love it and some would certainly disagree with my characterization. But that's my personal feeling on the matter.

I agree completely. This is, of course, a personal preference thing, but these are basically the same reasons I moved out here and will remain here. I can understand why people coming to NYC for the first time would want to live in Manhattan, but I think a good many of them will be ready to move out to BK after a year.

Anyone who wants any NYC-specific questions answered can PM me as well.
Last edited by sgtgrumbles on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkhopeful

Postby bkhopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:25 pm

gendefect wrote:
thecilent wrote:
gendefect wrote:
bkhopeful wrote:good luck! [based on the stats in your profile, you shouldn't worry too much.] if i get into / go to nyu, i'm definitely staying in bk.

Why?

For reasons too numerous and varied to post here, especially since it would be a major thread derail (though if you'd really like to know, feel free to PM me and I'll happily write you a short novel on the topic :) ). But to generalize, essentially, Brooklyn is a) far more affordable, b) more relaxed and laid-back (and quieter), and c) it's a little more rough around the edges, as opposed to a more polished Manhattan, and I like that about it.

+1000

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:26 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Anyone who wants any NYC-specific questions answered can PM me as well.

There is a good chance I will take you up on this offer. But I'm gonna wait til I have my purple in hand... Just in case.

TrustMeI'mAnActress

Postby TrustMeI'mAnActress » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:29 pm

Congrats to all those admitted/who show decision letter sent!! Do most people who have been accepted have numbers above both medians?

J.Straw from Wichita

Postby J.Straw from Wichita » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:30 pm

I got my acceptance letter today! (12/6er, I submitted back in Sept) Congratulations to the other admitted students & best of luck to you guys who are still waiting.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:32 pm

TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:Congrats to all those admitted/who show decision letter sent!! Do most people who have been accepted have numbers above both medians?

While I am not going to say beyond doubt I am accepted, I am 173 and around 25th% for GPA. So, in a word... No.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”