NYU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahlawg

Silver

Re: NYU 2011

Post by sarahlawg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:03 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
champsound wrote:
Hmm. I went 163->174. Trying to think of something to write for an addendum to NYU. Ideas to explain the 163?

Things during 163 not during the 174:
-did not sleep well
-nervous
-tiny arm-desk thing
-needed to piss pretty badly in the middle of the third section (not experimental apparently)
-~2 year span in between LSATs (guess I studied more the second time)

None of those really seem like a good reason...
My first score was lower than your first, but our retakes are the same. I got into NYU, here is my addendum, which seems to have worked so far except for with Harvard...

"Unfortunately, during the June 2010 LSAT, I let my nerves disrupt my concentration, which negatively affected my score. Since my score of XXX was below my expected testing abilities I decided to retake it in October 2010. I entered the October test with a different mindset, which I believe is reflected in my new score of a 174. Although both scores are shown on my report, I respectfully ask you to consider the 174 as indicative of my true abilities."

Hope that helped!

boy this is really making me wish I had written an addendum. Can't imagine it would help now.

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:04 pm

modmx wrote:this might be a awkward situation. should i just leave it and wait for the letter?
It has changed to "Decision Letter Sent", and then people have been able to access the admitted students website. Presumably a rejection would have the same thing but w/ no access. Don't know how long it takes for people to have access to asw - but I checked the day after and could access.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:13 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:
champsound wrote:
Hmm. I went 163->174. Trying to think of something to write for an addendum to NYU. Ideas to explain the 163?

-did not sleep well
-nervous
-tiny arm-desk thing
-needed to piss pretty badly in the middle of the third section (not experimental apparently)

My first score was lower than your first, but our retakes are the same. I got into NYU, here is my addendum, which seems to have worked so far except for with Harvard...

"Unfortunately, during the June 2010 LSAT, I let my nerves disrupt my concentration, which negatively affected my score. Since my score of XXX was below my expected testing abilities I decided to retake it in October 2010. I entered the October test with a different mindset, which I believe is reflected in my new score of a 174. Although both scores are shown on my report, I respectfully ask you to consider the 174 as indicative of my true abilities."

Hope that helped!

boy this is really making me wish I had written an addendum. Can't imagine it would help now.
If you don't have a decision rendered yet, fire off that addendum!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:39 pm

RJ127 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:
champsound wrote:

-did not sleep well
-nervous
-tiny arm-desk thing

Hope that helped!

If you don't have a decision rendered yet, fire off that addendum!
mine would be very similar to the above as far as reason, so it kind of feels hollow to write after I've been UR for almost 2 mos. They'll know I know they don't like multiple LSATs but I didn't send one in originally...ack, idk.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:21 am

Honestly I feel like post-application addenda for things like Previous LSATs are huge wastes of time, especially without a good reason. And no, things like "studied for the 2nd one" are not good reasons. This is basically assumed when they see improvement. An LSAT addendum should 1)be included in the original app and not as a WL breaker and 2)only concern very serious, tangible reasons.

LOCI's should focus on things like fall grades, new positions, new letters, new lsats, new developments, and a statement that says "I STILL WANT TO GO HERE RULL BAD." That's it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:59 am

mst wrote:Honestly I feel like post-application addenda for things like Previous LSATs are huge wastes of time, especially without a good reason. And no, things like "studied for the 2nd one" are not good reasons. This is basically assumed when they see improvement. An LSAT addendum should 1)be included in the original app and not as a WL breaker and 2)only concern very serious, tangible reasons.

LOCI's should focus on things like fall grades, new positions, new letters, new lsats, new developments, and a statement that says "I STILL WANT TO GO HERE RULL BAD." That's it.
Ugh, I wish you said this 2 days ago. I submitted an addenda for multiple LSATs without "serious, tangible reasons" by email as my application was still processing. If they put it in after they already review my file I'm going to look like a huge douchebag. According to the status checker, my file goes under review today. So I'll find out if it was a great idea or a huge mistake pretty soon.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:33 am

champsound wrote:
mst wrote:Honestly I feel like post-application addenda for things like Previous LSATs are huge wastes of time, especially without a good reason. And no, things like "studied for the 2nd one" are not good reasons. This is basically assumed when they see improvement. An LSAT addendum should 1)be included in the original app and not as a WL breaker and 2)only concern very serious, tangible reasons.

Ugh, I wish you said this 2 days ago. I submitted an addenda for multiple LSATs without "serious, tangible reasons" by email as my application was still processing. If they put it in after they already review my file I'm going to look like a huge douchebag. According to the status checker, my file goes under review today. So I'll find out if it was a great idea or a huge mistake pretty soon.
Meh. I agree that the addendum should ideally be part of the original application. I'm not sure sure it needs to have "serious, tangible reasons." Of course that would be ideal, and we should all have fantastic reasons why our first LSAT scores blew. But even when that's not the case, I think schools (most of them, anyway) want to hear something from you about it. The interviews I read with T-14 admissions deans while I was putting my application together suggested that most of them want to get an explanation from you. If I recall correctly, most of their comments seemed to implicitly assume that we would all have great reasons, which of course isn’t so. But I’d rather that they read an addendum from me and then conclude that “that’s not a really great reason for the increase” then not get one and wonder why I didn’t follow directions.

I think the key to a decent addendum when you don’t have very good reasons is not to make it sound like you’re grasping for excuses. Just saying, “I should have prepared better for the first one. I was very enthusiastic about attending law school and I didn’t want to wait another year to apply, but I should have. I have learned this lesson, as demonstrated by x” is fine, I think - admitting fault and showing that you’re smarter now.

For my own LSAT addendum (I went from a 163 to a 171), I wrote that after I had registered for the December test, things kicked into gear at my job and I had to work late nights all the time. (This was bolstered by my PS, which was largely about my job, and an LOR from my boss about what a hard worker I am.) I said I should have resigned myself to skipping the test, but I didn’t want to wait another year to go to law school. I should have been more patient. I took the test again the next September, using the calmer summer months to study, and came in much better prepared.

It has seemed to work so far… I mean, NYU has clearly waitlisted me, but that could have happened even without the 163. I’m in everywhere that I could have counted on, and held at CLS.

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:43 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
champsound wrote:

Meh. I agree that the addendum should ideally be part of the original application. I'm not sure sure it needs to have "serious, tangible reasons." Of course that would be ideal, and we should all have fantastic reasons why our first LSAT scores blew. But even when that's not the case, I think schools (most of them, anyway) want to hear something from you about it. The interviews I read with T-14 admissions deans while I was putting my application together suggested that most of them want to get an explanation from you. If I recall correctly, most of their comments seemed to implicitly assume that we would all have great reasons, which of course isn’t so. But I’d rather that they read an addendum from me and then conclude that “that’s not a really great reason for the increase” then not get one and wonder why I didn’t follow directions.

I think the key to a decent addendum when you don’t have very good reasons is not to make it sound like you’re grasping for excuses. Just saying, “I should have prepared better for the first one. I was very enthusiastic about attending law school and I didn’t want to wait another year to apply, but I should have. I have learned this lesson, as demonstrated by x” is fine, I think - admitting fault and showing that you’re smarter now.

For my own LSAT addendum (I went from a 163 to a 171), I wrote that after I had registered for the December test, things kicked into gear at my job and I had to work late nights all the time. (This was bolstered by my PS, which was largely about my job, and an LOR from my boss about what a hard worker I am.) I said I should have resigned myself to skipping the test, but I didn’t want to wait another year to go to law school. I should have been more patient. I took the test again the next September, using the calmer summer months to study, and came in much better prepared.

It has seemed to work so far… I mean, NYU has clearly waitlisted me, but that could have happened even without the 163. I’m in everywhere that I could have counted on, and held at CLS.
ahhh! i'm not sure what to do now. i had a huge debate with myself over whether or not to send an LSAT addendum (increased from a 167 to 175 oct-dec tests). i ultimately decided against it because i also send an addendum concerning my low freshman year gpa, and didn't want to sound like i was making excuses for every less than perfect aspect of my application. also, i figured that a 167 is good enough that if i retook after it, i obviously thought i could do much much better (and did). was this all a mistake??

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:50 am

agora139 wrote:
champsound wrote:

ahhh! i'm not sure what to do now. i had a huge debate with myself over whether or not to send an LSAT addendum (increased from a 167 to 175 oct-dec tests). i ultimately decided against it because i also send an addendum concerning my low freshman year gpa, and didn't want to sound like i was making excuses for every less than perfect aspect of my application. also, i figured that a 167 is good enough that if i retook after it, i obviously thought i could do much much better (and did). was this all a mistake??

Why don't you send it in as a LOCI rather than an LSAT-specific addendum. Reiterate your interst in NYU, explain why they continue to be your top-choice and how they are well suited to your interests and such. And a add a 2-3 line paragraph, addressing perhaps a new position, grades, or the like. And add a quick line saying while you may not have performed at par with your capabilities in the original LSAT, it was nonetheless a a learning experience and your real performance is indicated by your second LSAT. blah blah blah I suppose?????

Just my $0.02

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:51 am

I went to one of their information sessions, & here's what I wrote down about the LSAT addendum stuff:
LSAT Stuff
o They do note cancellations when evaluating, and average LSATs to get a look at your “history”
o She suggested writing an addendum addressing why you took it more than once, including cancellations (Someone asked about even if it’s a not-so-compelling reason and she kind if edged around it by saying that the ideal method is to study hard the first time so you don’t have to retake it, while saying that it’s very common to have retakes) because multiple tests “put questions in reader’s mind”
o Err on the side of providing more information
o DEFINITELY write an addendum if your score jump is 6+ points, and if it’s 6+ points then they’ll consider the higher one as more indicative of your ability

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:52 am

ah i like that idea! interesting. is it okay to send a LOCI without being WL/held or the like?

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 pm

agora139 wrote:ah i like that idea! interesting. is it okay to send a LOCI without being WL/held or the like?
I don't know how NYU perceives it, but Stanford encourages them if you've been UR for more than a 1-2 months

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Received my purple envelope today. Good to know, confirmation that access to admitted students website is admittance to NYU (for those who are really paranoid). Postmarked 1/31

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:42 pm

melamine wrote:Received my purple envelope today. Good to know, confirmation that access to admitted students website is admittance to NYU (for those who are really paranoid). Postmarked 1/31
Woop! Nice. In which region? I'm waiting for my BPE out in LA

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:43 pm

RJ127 wrote:
melamine wrote:Received my purple envelope today. Good to know, confirmation that access to admitted students website is admittance to NYU (for those who are really paranoid). Postmarked 1/31
Woop! Nice. In which region? I'm waiting for my BPE out in LA

oops - sorry postmarked 2/1 - i live in the midwest.

freon

New

Post by freon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Sorry to ask, but how long after it said DLS were people notified of rejections/WLs?

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:45 pm

agora139 wrote:
champsound wrote:

I could be wrong, but unless you have a good reason (more than just I studied more/didn't get enough sleep/etc.) I don't really see how much an addendum really helps, especially if the rest of your application was already sent. I mean when they see a jump like that, they probably assume you studied more for the second one even if you didn't send an addendum. The addendum probably won't make much of a difference unless you have a reason that is more substantial than what they already assume. Granted this could just be me justifying not sending an addendum for a 9 point jump for tests 3 years apart (I didn't get a lot of sleep/didn't really study the first time).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lucylove

New

Post by lucylove » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:54 pm

just got the ding email.... no change in the status checker :(

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:02 pm

lucylove wrote:just got the ding email.... no change in the status checker :(
Sorry about that. Hope I don't come across as insensitive, but what were your sent and UR dates?

lucylove

New

Post by lucylove » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:04 pm

jman77 wrote:
Sorry about that. Hope I don't come across as insensitive, but what were your sent and UR dates?

No worries... submitted and went complete in the first week of November

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:10 pm

lucylove wrote:
jman77 wrote:

No worries... submitted and went complete in the first week of November
Thanks... getting close to my UR date. Sorry again for the ding.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Applied 1/1/11, Current Status:Application under review Current Status Date: 1/7/2011
GPA: 3.9 and 163 and URM, thinking WL :( So much for dream reaches.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:39 pm

kruiz88 wrote:Applied 1/1/11, Current Status:Application under review Current Status Date: 1/7/2011

You haven't been waiting very long....not even remotely long. Don't lose the faith.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Still 11/1 here. Come on NYU. Just waitlist/ding me already.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:44 pm

kruiz88 wrote:Applied 1/1/11, Current Status:Application under review Current Status Date: 1/7/2011

You have a higher GPA than I do and a higher LSAT, and I got in. We're both URM. I think you have hope.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”