NYU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
somewhere

Bronze

Re: NYU 2011

Post by somewhere » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:39 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
somewhere wrote:
law_monkey wrote: Don't know if this will give you hope or not, but right now there's actually a decent number (on TLS anyway) of committed NYU people who have already sent in their deposits that are riding the HLS waitlist. The Harvard waitlist (which actually gets used) starts seeing movement in May, so it is definitely possible that some of these people will get picked up by HYS - hopefully opening spots for some of you!!!
Well, they don't sound very much like "committed NYU people," then. Or else they'd tell HLS to shove it. :wink:
Haha true, but I meant committed as in "I sent in the deposit and given all of the current options that are realistically in front of me NYU is my choice." That fun fuzzy gray area that can possibly give WLers a small glimmer of hope. :D
I specifically know someone in this situation...*cough*

Edit: Absent a full ride to NYU, anyone qualifying for need based aid would be financially wise not to tell HLS to "shove it." Just sayin'
The "absent a full ride to NYU" qualification to your assertion is quite specifically relevant to at least two people involved in this little exchange.

(Also, if you're committed to public interest, the quality of NYU's program and of their LRAP make that "financially wise" calculation tricky, with or without a full ride.)

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:53 pm

somewhere wrote: The "absent a full ride to NYU" qualification to your assertion is quite specifically relevant to at least two people involved in this little exchange.

(Also, if you're committed to public interest, the quality of NYU's program and of their LRAP make that "financially wise" calculation tricky, with or without a full ride.)
I guess I was speaking to general statistics, rather than your specific situation. Ooh, what an awesome situation to be in though! Good luck!

Edit: I still think keeping your options open is a good idea :)

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:38 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
somewhere wrote: The "absent a full ride to NYU" qualification to your assertion is quite specifically relevant to at least two people involved in this little exchange.

I guess I was speaking to general statistics, rather than your specific situation. Ooh, what an awesome situation to be in though! Good luck!

Edit: I still think keeping your options open is a good idea :)
Thanks! (Even though I already told Harvard to shove it. :wink: )

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm sorry if my question is redundant as I've not been following this thread at all really... is it possible to negotiate the scholarship award? I got the dean's award for 20000$ annually,... but as I am not eligible for loans in the U.S. and there's only so much loans I can get in Canada, I would like to negotiate a larger amount.. also, does NYU offer interest-free loans?

Thanks in advance!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:15 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:I'm sorry if my question is redundant as I've not been following this thread at all really... is it possible to negotiate the scholarship award? I got the dean's award for 20000$ annually,... but as I am not eligible for loans in the U.S. and there's only so much loans I can get in Canada, I would like to negotiate a larger amount.. also, does NYU offer interest-free loans?

Thanks in advance!
It is possible to appeal your award, but my impression is you should have a rather large award from a near-peer institution (MVPBD probably?) and even then you'll only get a bit more. That might all be different in your case - I'd call the financial aid office and ask them, they're quite helpful and can tell you what to do. Both in regards to an appeals and any special loans NYU might have available.

You might want to post in the In at NYU or the NYU Class of 2014 threads - I didn't appeal, because the middle fell out of my cycle completely, leaving me nothing to appeal with... :x

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:26 pm

thanks, I intend to call on monday... that's the final day for me to deposit and I've left everything off to the last minute,... it's my mistake

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:34 pm

I think the middle T14's deadlines are all today, so you may not have much leverage on that end :(

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:I think the middle T14's deadlines are all today, so you may not have much leverage on that end :(
I know... plus I don't have much leverage either way as I didn't apply to many u.s. schools so no offers to boast about... I just hope they take pity on me because unless I'm eligible for some institutional loans, I can't attend law school in the states as the max I'm allowed to borrow from Canadian banks is 80K... I'm still short lol

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:36 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think the middle T14's deadlines are all today, so you may not have much leverage on that end :(
I know... plus I don't have much leverage either way as I didn't apply to many u.s. schools so no offers to boast about... I just hope they take pity on me because unless I'm eligible for some institutional loans, I can't attend law school in the states as the max I'm allowed to borrow from Canadian banks is 80K... I'm still short lol
You can't borrow from American banks? I'd definitely talk to the finaid office - during the presentation they gave at ASW, I got the impression they were all over this stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Mon May 02, 2011 1:01 pm

ahduth wrote:
CosmoLaw wrote:
You can't borrow from American banks? I'd definitely talk to the finaid office - during the presentation they gave at ASW, I got the impression they were all over this stuff.
International students are eligible for private (but not federal) educational loans through lenders such as Chase, Citi, and Sallie Mae. You will need a US citizen or permanent resident as a cosigner to guarantee the loan however.

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Mon May 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Just deposited.. so I guess I'm in

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:Just deposited.. so I guess I'm in
You don't sound terribly enthusiastic. I think you've got the NYU ethos down. :D

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Mon May 02, 2011 9:31 pm

ahduth wrote:
You don't sound terribly enthusiastic. I think you've got the NYU ethos down. :D
haha, although I'm not a terribly cheerful person in general, my less than chipper tone can be attributed to the fact that I have not yet secured my loans and I gave up a sure thing in it's stead.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Mon May 02, 2011 9:45 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:
ahduth wrote:
haha, although I'm not a terribly cheerful person in general, my less than chipper tone can be attributed to the fact that I have not yet secured my loans and I gave up a sure thing in it's stead.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1550

Your new community to support you and possibly help you secure such loans.

edit: actually... TLS in general would probably be more useful LOL but whatever. welcome.

itimgtd

New

Post by itimgtd » Thu May 12, 2011 9:15 pm

in via email off the waitlist 8 hours ago. PM me for numbers. Good luck to the those who are still waiting!!!

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Thu May 12, 2011 10:10 pm

itimgtd wrote:in via email off the waitlist 8 hours ago. PM me for numbers. Good luck to the those who are still waiting!!!
wow the WL is quick, I presumed they don't use it till June-ish... Congratulations however!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 am

FYI for the new admittees: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=140482

These people are asshats, all of them, including me. Be forewarned.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”