NYU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flips88

Diamond

Re: NYU 2011

Post by Flips88 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:39 pm

GraniteState wrote:Hi all, sorry if this has been answered, but if I'm able to log into NYU's admitted students website, is it safe to assume I've been accepted? My status checker says decision letter sent, but I haven't gotten it yet, and I was a very early applicant.

Edit: I realize this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm paranoid.
All signs point to yes, you are in. Congrats!

GraniteState

New

Post by GraniteState » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 pm

AWESOME! Best news I've heard in months. Thanks to Flips and hello for responding so quickly--now I can start telling people.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm

If some of those who got DLS 2/11 and were early applicants could post/PM their numbers, it would be very much appreciated. If this is a second pass-through, it could be a decent indication of what kind of numbers they're admitting now, and by extrapolation could shed light on the overall strength of the applicant pool at the T-14 at this point in the game (at or around the deadlines for most schools). (That might be going a little too far, but I certainly am curious.)

afLSAT

New

Post by afLSAT » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:If some of those who got DLS 2/11 and were early applicants could post/PM their numbers, it would be very much appreciated. If this is a second pass-through, it could be a decent indication of what kind of numbers they're admitting now, and by extrapolation could shed light on the overall strength of the applicant pool at the T-14 at this point in the game (at or around the deadlines for most schools). (That might be going a little too far, but I certainly am curious.)
Same here . . . please send, if you don't mind. I applied in November but retook LSAT in December, and I'm still U/R from November. Very interested.

Thx.

cassidylane

Bronze

Post by cassidylane » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Under review 1/13 and stillll waiting.....:(

Anyone else been waiting much longer?

edit: Just read back a few pages, some of you have been waiting a long time!! Yuck, not excited for this wait.
Last edited by cassidylane on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WarioLaw

Bronze

Post by WarioLaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:37 pm

I am DLS 02/11, but I was a relatively late app (UR 02/02 - DLS 02/11)

FWIW, LSAT: 173, GPA: 3.8

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:50 pm

WarioLaw wrote:I am DLS 02/11, but I was a relatively late app (UR 02/02 - DLS 02/11)

Thanks Wario. Sounds like, to the degree that there was a second pass-through, you weren't part of it. Solid numbers, congrats!

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:53 pm

WarioLaw wrote:I am DLS 02/11, but I was a relatively late app (UR 02/02 - DLS 02/11)

Pretty much identical stuff here, got DLS 2/11 also.

Guy

New

Post by Guy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:56 pm

UR since 12/1 cassidy. Enjoy

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swl56

Bronze

Post by swl56 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:23 pm

for those who have been waiting a while and are expecting a W/L (or worse, ding), have you written LOCIs or are you planning on waiting for the WL to send it in? i still don't know whether or not i should send one in yet (definitely expecting a WL, been UR since 1/5). thoughts would be appreciated! :D

and congrats to those DLS 2/11ers!

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Does NYU ding quickly or make you suffer? I'm asking because if I'm still UR since 1/25 does that mean there's still hope or they haven't gotten to me yet?

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 pm

swl56 wrote:for those who have been waiting a while and are expecting a W/L (or worse, ding), have you written LOCIs or are you planning on waiting for the WL to send it in? i still don't know whether or not i should send one in yet (definitely expecting a WL, been UR since 1/5). thoughts would be appreciated! :D

My bf got in and it has become my #1 choice. I definitely sent a LOCI in light of this information and I've been UR since 1/7. My view is that if you submitted your app >2.5 months ago like I did and you still haven't heard back, it definitely can't hurt to send them something to show that you're still interested.

I'm fully expecting to be dinged.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Gotti wrote:
swl56 wrote:for those who have been waiting a while and are expecting a W/L (or worse, ding), have you written LOCIs or are you planning on waiting for the WL to send it in? i still don't know whether or not i should send one in yet (definitely expecting a WL, been UR since 1/5). thoughts would be appreciated! :D

My bf got in and it has become my #1 choice. I definitely sent a LOCI in light of this information and I've been UR since 1/7. My view is that if you submitted your app >2.5 months ago like I did and you still haven't heard back, it definitely can't hurt to send them something to show that you're still interested.

Stay positive!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swl56

Bronze

Post by swl56 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:59 pm

Gotti wrote:

thank you for your answer! i will get started on writing that... one of my biggest reasons for wanting NYU so badly is to be close to my family and my boyfriend (4 years of UG away from home is enough for me...), but that reason doesn't seem very compelling. did your LOCI focus on that in particular or was it more of a Why NYU LOCI?

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 pm

swl56 wrote:
Gotti wrote:

thank you for your answer! i will get started on writing that... one of my biggest reasons for wanting NYU so badly is to be close to my family and my boyfriend (4 years of UG away from home is enough for me...), but that reason doesn't seem very compelling. did your LOCI focus on that in particular or was it more of a Why NYU LOCI?
I think that for a LOCI, that's exactly the type of information that is compelling. At this point, I think one of the major things they're looking for an applicant is liklihood of attending if admitted (to boost yield). Obviously, you still need to be an attractive candidate in other ways, but if you can show them that for personal reasons you would be very likely to attend, they will look favorably on that (from what I understand).

swl56

Bronze

Post by swl56 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
swl56 wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I think that for a LOCI, that's exactly the type of information that is compelling. At this point, I think one of the major things they're looking for an applicant is liklihood of attending if admitted (to boost yield). Obviously, you still need to be an attractive candidate in other ways, but if you can show them that for personal reasons you would be very likely to attend, they will look favorably on that (from what I understand).
this answer makes me happy :D THANK YOU!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
swl56 wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Yeah I mean I'm still sure I'm going to be dinged...my LSAT is far too low (164, non-URM) but I have a very high GPA so who knows!

I combined a why nyu and a personal LOCI into one...I said my fiance was just accepted and will be attending in the fall. It's very important to us to be in the same city and if accepted I will withdraw all my applications immediately. I told them I would have ED'd if I had the means to do so before the ED deadline (and I would have). Then I told them about why I liked NYU so much etc etc. But yeah I agree with Habit - they hear/read tons of things like "oh i like this program i love that program" every day...showing them why you want to go there for personal reasons is a good idea.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WarioLaw

Bronze

Post by WarioLaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Gotti wrote:
I combined a why nyu and a personal LOCI into one...I said my fiance was just accepted and will be attending in the fall. It's very important to us to be in the same city and if accepted I will withdraw all my applications immediately. I told them I would have ED'd if I had the means to do so before the ED deadline (and I would have). Then I told them about why I liked NYU so much etc etc. But yeah I agree with Habit - they hear/read tons of things like "oh i like this program i love that program" every day...showing them why you want to go there for personal reasons is a good idea.
Don't underestimate the fiance card since they must believe that not accepting you would increase the likelihood of losing your husband to be. Not that that is the sole reason you would be accepted, but I have to imagine that could make up a few points in the LSAT. Best of luck!

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:07 pm

WarioLaw wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Don't underestimate the fiance card since they must believe that not accepting you would increase the likelihood of losing your husband to be. Not that that is the sole reason you would be accepted, but I have to imagine that could make up a few points in the LSAT. Best of luck!
+1. good luck!
i do have to wonder though, do you think personal appeals like these and other ones that say 'i will DEFINITELY go here if accepted' make you less likely to receive merit $? (not that i would have any chance at some from nyu, just curious in general..)

peaches2132

New

Post by peaches2132 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:16 pm

For those who wrote (or will write) a LOCI, are you emailing or mailing them?

beadedcortinas

New

Post by beadedcortinas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:25 pm

afLSAT wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:If some of those who got DLS 2/11 and were early applicants could post/PM their numbers, it would be very much appreciated. If this is a second pass-through, it could be a decent indication of what kind of numbers they're admitting now, and by extrapolation could shed light on the overall strength of the applicant pool at the T-14 at this point in the game (at or around the deadlines for most schools). (That might be going a little too far, but I certainly am curious.)
Same here . . . please send, if you don't mind. I applied in November but retook LSAT in December, and I'm still U/R from November. Very interested.

Thx.
Hey all, I got a DLS 2/11 and was able to sign on to the admitted students website last night. I wasn't an early app, I think I went complete in January, and my numbers are 173/3.7

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:34 pm

peaches2132 wrote:For those who wrote (or will write) a LOCI, are you emailing or mailing them?
I wrote it in a word document (formatted just like a letter) and emailed it over & asked that it be added to my file. I got confirmation the next morning that it has been added.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:35 pm

agora139 wrote:
WarioLaw wrote:
Gotti wrote:
+1. good luck!
i do have to wonder though, do you think personal appeals like these and other ones that say 'i will DEFINITELY go here if accepted' make you less likely to receive merit $? (not that i would have any chance at some from nyu, just curious in general..)
No idea...but with a 164 I'll be happy to pay sticker at nyu :)

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:35 pm

WarioLaw wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Hmmm I never even thought of it like this!!
Should I have mentioned his name & LSAC number?? shit. I should have. Should I call and update?

NYC_7911

Bronze

Post by NYC_7911 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Have those of you that have been accepted already submitted Need Access? I'm really hoping (although it's a long shot) to be considered for some kind of merit aid, and I can't figure out whether I need to have submitted it before being invited for a dean's scholarship. Anyone know? Invitations were sent out about this time last year, so...?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”