Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bob77

New

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by bob77 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:51 pm

JC718 wrote:Hi, wondering if anyone held hasn't received a decision yet?
+1

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:52 pm

swl56 wrote:
nyckid wrote:
swl56 wrote:ED deferred... got put on reserve this morning.
Sorry to hear that. Was it via email?
yup :cry:
sorry to hear as well. :(

i still have no decision. anyone ED deferred get denied yet? would seem silly if they didn't deny us right out the bat in september and instead waited until now ....

if that's the case, trying to figure out if i should be checking my permanent snail mail address (which i'm 5,000 miles away from at the moment) or keep maniacally refreshing mozilla ....

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:06 pm

By some act of divine intervention, I got placed on Reserve, having applied only because a last minute fee waiver ensured that I wasn't wasting the equivalent of a nice steak dinner on a longshot. But...dreams sort of not really come true. Reserve at a dream school. I shall send my LOCI, but tell me, those who are in the know, how optimistic should a person on Reserve be?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:14 pm

ahduth wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:Definitely. Reading this thread makes me believe that Columbia's admissions does a lot more than numbers-> decision. There are a lot of 171s floating around, most with GPAs higher than mine, who have been dinged, while a friend who went to the same UG as I did with similar numbers and I are on reserve. I obviously have no experience getting off reserve, and if you went by this thread and got discouraged, you would probably just want to throw in the towel. But if Columbia really is your dream (like it is mine), send a LOCI, visit the school, do anything you can. Let them know you're still really into them. I can't say it will work, but I can say with some authority that not doing it will almost guarantee that you won't get in.
Yeah, I'd have to agree that the CLS admissions process appears to have a non-negligible "soft factor" component within the 25% to 50% percentile range. I was a shade under the 4.4 index and got in, whereas other 4.4 indices were held. I'm not sure what happened to these people subsequently, but have many people been getting in off holds?
That's for damn sure. I applied late, am Reject on LSP, and am not AA or an uber desirable URM, and was placed on Reserve.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
ahduth wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:Definitely. Reading this thread makes me believe that Columbia's admissions does a lot more than numbers-> decision. There are a lot of 171s floating around, most with GPAs higher than mine, who have been dinged, while a friend who went to the same UG as I did with similar numbers and I are on reserve. I obviously have no experience getting off reserve, and if you went by this thread and got discouraged, you would probably just want to throw in the towel. But if Columbia really is your dream (like it is mine), send a LOCI, visit the school, do anything you can. Let them know you're still really into them. I can't say it will work, but I can say with some authority that not doing it will almost guarantee that you won't get in.
Yeah, I'd have to agree that the CLS admissions process appears to have a non-negligible "soft factor" component within the 25% to 50% percentile range. I was a shade under the 4.4 index and got in, whereas other 4.4 indices were held. I'm not sure what happened to these people subsequently, but have many people been getting in off holds?
That's for damn sure. I applied late, am Reject on LSP, and am not AA or an uber desirable URM, and was placed on Reserve.
:) Lots of people think Columbia's reserve is one of the hardest soft rejects out there. Speaking practically, fine. You should probably deposit somewhere else, etc. But speaking idealistically, I still have hope.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:21 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
ahduth wrote:
:) Lots of people think Columbia's reserve is one of the hardest soft rejects out there. Speaking practically, fine. You should probably deposit somewhere else, etc. But speaking idealistically, I still have hope.
Oh believe me, I've deposited elsewhere. I have no illusions. But I appreciate the courtesy of a soft reject.

Why is their reserve one of the hardest soft rejects?

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Naked Dude wrote: Why is their reserve one of the hardest soft rejects?
Others may disagree with me. It seems Mich and UVA dump more applicants by volume on their WLs, but Columbia's rarely sees any movement.

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Did anyone else get their decision emailed to them twice? No joke, I got a waitlist email at 11 and again at 3 today.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:35 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Naked Dude wrote: Why is their reserve one of the hardest soft rejects?
Others may disagree with me. It seems Mich and UVA dump more applicants by volume on their WLs, but Columbia's rarely sees any movement.
Yeah...I'm sure it varies year to year... Whatever, doesn't cost anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

save the world

New

Post by save the world » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:57 pm

bob77 wrote:
JC718 wrote:Hi, wondering if anyone held hasn't received a decision yet?
+1
+1

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:04 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Did anyone else get their decision emailed to them twice? No joke, I got a waitlist email at 11 and again at 3 today.
super-secret ranked waitlist. you're on both of them.

swl56

Bronze

Post by swl56 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:50 pm

haha i got it twice as well... i was hoping the first time was a mistake and the second time around was the "real decision" (an acceptance)... but alas.

sargell83

Bronze

Post by sargell83 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:39 pm

placed on reserve today as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

math101

Bronze

Post by math101 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:11 am

Withdrew from this WL and Chicago's today. Not that that's helping anyone. It was actually a bit tougher than I thought it would be. Now all that's left is for NU to WL me, so I can withdraw from that too.

nyckid

New

Post by nyckid » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:31 pm

No movement today? I guess tomorrow's the big day. I think there's one other deferred ED here who still hasn't heard?

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:06 pm

nyckid wrote:No movement today? I guess tomorrow's the big day. I think there's one other deferred ED here who still hasn't heard?
that would be me, ma'm / sir!

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:07 pm

expat17 wrote:
nyckid wrote:No movement today? I guess tomorrow's the big day. I think there's one other deferred ED here who still hasn't heard?
that would be me, ma'm / sir!
you think they're dragging on us because we are just that useless that it doesn't matter when we get put on reserve ...or should we dare to speculate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdtorque

New

Post by jdtorque » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:41 am

Ding. Expected, but still stings. Now it's just Cornell (please!) or my local safety school. Good luck to those still waiting

shouldvegoneforanMBA

New

Post by shouldvegoneforanMBA » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:13 am

Does everyone who gets placed on reserve have something in the email that says "first reserve"? are there two categories of reserve, first and regular?

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:16 am

shouldvegoneforanMBA wrote:Does everyone who gets placed on reserve have something in the email that says "first reserve"? are there two categories of reserve, first and regular?

nope, all reserve pool is the same (stinking and overcrowded) heap. they whittle away the list over time, like a slow death. the first reserve refers to the fact that all have made it through "cut 1." they will likely do another "cut 2" in june or something, at which point they will rename the survivors second reserve ... and so on and so on.

EDIT: excuse my pessimism, but the CLS reserve/waitlist is notoriously long and drawn out.

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:17 am

jdtorque wrote:Ding. Expected, but still stings. Now it's just Cornell (please!) or my local safety school. Good luck to those still waiting

Sorry to hear. :( Did you just find out right now or was it sitting in your inbox?

Crossing my fingers for you for Cornell!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jdtorque

New

Post by jdtorque » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:49 am

expat17 wrote:
jdtorque wrote:Ding. Expected, but still stings. Now it's just Cornell (please!) or my local safety school. Good luck to those still waiting

Sorry to hear. :( Did you just find out right now or was it sitting in your inbox?

Crossing my fingers for you for Cornell!

Actually got it in the mail yesterday. As I understand, the bad news comes in snail mail, good news electronically

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:25 am

expat17 wrote:
shouldvegoneforanMBA wrote:Does everyone who gets placed on reserve have something in the email that says "first reserve"? are there two categories of reserve, first and regular?

nope, all reserve pool is the same (stinking and overcrowded) heap. they whittle away the list over time, like a slow death. the first reserve refers to the fact that all have made it through "cut 1." they will likely do another "cut 2" in june or something, at which point they will rename the survivors second reserve ... and so on and so on.

EDIT: excuse my pessimism, but the CLS reserve/waitlist is notoriously long and drawn out.
And not to mention virtually impossible to get off. As much as I wanted CLS earlier, I'm gonna consider this a soft ding.

bluecanary622

New

Post by bluecanary622 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:14 pm

so, if you have heard absolutely nothing at any point... and submitted before the deadline... safe to assume a ding and its in the mail? since they say they promise decisions by May 1st and all.

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm

According to LSN,no one was let in last year off the reserve. Does that seem right/accurate to you all?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”