Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:18 pm

shouldvegoneforanMBA wrote:Can someone please tell me what is included in an LOCI? is there a standard (preferably snark-less) format?

Search function: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jrose5 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:20 pm

My guess is that at this point their medians are mostly set in stone, and they truly just need to hang onto some applications for diversity purposes. If this is the case, then there may not be a whole lot that we can do to help our chances - whether or not we get off reserve could depend on what types of characteristics they're looking for to round out their class.

User avatar
dot
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby dot » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:56 am

Finally withdrew. Hope that helps someone on the WL or with $.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Whoa forgot I applied here. Got a last-minute fee waiver so I applied as a why not? and went complete at the end of February. For 12 bucks I don't mind boosting their selectivity in exchange for knowing that I at least tried. So yeah...not expecting anything, but would like to hear back soon, if only to cross CLS off my list once and for all. Yeah...apparently no guarantee of me hearing back by May because I went complete past Feb 15. I should be summarily rejected...but it would be nice to know...

CalGuy89
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby CalGuy89 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:59 am

dinged today. Good luck to everyone, off to Penn I go!

frijoles99
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:06 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby frijoles99 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:09 am

I haven't received an answer yet, what was the deal with the 22nd? Is that like a deposit deadline? Are all answers given out already? I want to call them or e-mail them, but I don't want to annoy them.

legaleagle9
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby legaleagle9 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:57 am

Hey guys. Sorry for the insanely stupid question, but what is "deferring ED". I know what ED is. Is it different?

serdog
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby serdog » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:33 am

georges2 wrote:I tried to confirm my spot on the reserve list today, after i provide the information exactly the same way i did on the application, i get a message saying "We cannot find your application for admission because the information you provided does not match any records in our database"
Anyone else having the same problem?

I've had the same issues I'm really happy to make the waitlist

expat17
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby expat17 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:22 am

CalGuy89 wrote:dinged today. Good luck to everyone, off to Penn I go!


Sorry to hear .... were you ED or a regular applicant that was held? Good luck at Penn!

expat17
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby expat17 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:25 am

legaleagle9 wrote:Hey guys. Sorry for the insanely stupid question, but what is "deferring ED". I know what ED is. Is it different?


"deferring ED" are those folks who originally applied ED, but were notified that their application would be "deferred" to the regular applicant cycle and would be considered instead in April.

judging by their strict adherence to deadlines ... i'm not so sure these folks (me included) will be hearing back in April ....

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jrose5 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:42 am

Someone on LSN has already reported a rejection following a WL.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ncata

:shock: Already..?? I am a little skeptical.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Dany » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:54 am

jrose5 wrote:Someone on LSN has already reported a rejection following a WL.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ncata

:shock: Already..?? I am a little skeptical.

They probably used WL to signify a Hold.

bob77
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby bob77 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:04 pm

frijoles99 wrote:I haven't received an answer yet, what was the deal with the 22nd? Is that like a deposit deadline? Are all answers given out already? I want to call them or e-mail them, but I don't want to annoy them.


i don't know exactly what the deal was with the 22nd... i think that was the date given to holds--have any holds still not heard back yet? i am a forgotten still without an answer though, e-mailed them and they said they'd continue releasing decisions through april.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:08 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Definitely. Reading this thread makes me believe that Columbia's admissions does a lot more than numbers-> decision. There are a lot of 171s floating around, most with GPAs higher than mine, who have been dinged, while a friend who went to the same UG as I did with similar numbers and I are on reserve. I obviously have no experience getting off reserve, and if you went by this thread and got discouraged, you would probably just want to throw in the towel. But if Columbia really is your dream (like it is mine), send a LOCI, visit the school, do anything you can. Let them know you're still really into them. I can't say it will work, but I can say with some authority that not doing it will almost guarantee that you won't get in.


Yeah, I'd have to agree that the CLS admissions process appears to have a non-negligible "soft factor" component within the 25% to 50% percentile range. I was a shade under the 4.4 index and got in, whereas other 4.4 indices were held. I'm not sure what happened to these people subsequently, but have many people been getting in off holds?

blueboy
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby blueboy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:38 pm

Just registered and am not very knowledgeable about Columbia Admissions.

Was waitlisted last year and withdrew and decided to take a year off and give it another go.

I haven't heard back from them yet at all, not even a waitlist, just a hold I guess. Just called them and they said no decision has been made on my application yet. Is that good or bad news? Do I see a ding coming in the future? :/

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jrose5 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:03 pm

blueboy wrote:Just registered and am not very knowledgeable about Columbia Admissions.

Was waitlisted last year and withdrew and decided to take a year off and give it another go.

I haven't heard back from them yet at all, not even a waitlist, just a hold I guess. Just called them and they said no decision has been made on my application yet. Is that good or bad news? Do I see a ding coming in the future? :/


It could still be soon. Last week I called to ask if a decision had been rendered, and they told me "not yet." That same afternoon (like 3 hours or so after my phone call) I got the WL email.

CalGuy89
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby CalGuy89 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:15 pm

expat17 wrote:
CalGuy89 wrote:dinged today. Good luck to everyone, off to Penn I go!


Sorry to hear .... were you ED or a regular applicant that was held? Good luck at Penn!


I was regular decision but not held; yesterday was the first time Columbia ever chose to speak to me.

blueboy
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby blueboy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:16 pm

jrose5 wrote:
blueboy wrote:Just registered and am not very knowledgeable about Columbia Admissions.

Was waitlisted last year and withdrew and decided to take a year off and give it another go.

I haven't heard back from them yet at all, not even a waitlist, just a hold I guess. Just called them and they said no decision has been made on my application yet. Is that good or bad news? Do I see a ding coming in the future? :/


It could still be soon. Last week I called to ask if a decision had been rendered, and they told me "not yet." That same afternoon (like 3 hours or so after my phone call) I got the WL email.


Thanks! (: Also, I have to retract my statement, not even a hold previously, just nothing nada. Good luck with your waitlist! If you get accepted, you can fulfil two persons' dreams I guess. (: When do you think they'd be done sending out all decisions -- just want to know how long I have to wait.

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:49 pm

Like many others I received the missing record error message on the online Reserve form. I called admissions and they told me they were aware of the problem and working to resolve it, but that I could send an email asking to remain in the Reserve group. Just wanted to let you all know.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Does the website say when you're under review or does it just go from "complete" to "decision"?

JC718
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby JC718 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:30 am

Hi, wondering if anyone held hasn't received a decision yet?

expat17
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby expat17 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:44 am

ED deferred - no decision yet. Notice said we would find out by April. 2 more days!

swl56
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby swl56 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:26 pm

ED deferred... got put on reserve this morning.

nyckid
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby nyckid » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:45 pm

swl56 wrote:ED deferred... got put on reserve this morning.


Sorry to hear that. Was it via email?

swl56
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby swl56 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:46 pm

nyckid wrote:
swl56 wrote:ED deferred... got put on reserve this morning.


Sorry to hear that. Was it via email?


yup :cry:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob loblaw law blog, BrainsyK, Christinabruin, lawlawland16 and 21 guests