Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ilovemulch

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ilovemulch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:23 pm

cbp3443 wrote:Still alive... Just going to make it harder when I do get the damn email.

+1. Get it over with CLS.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Held 2/2, reserved 4/20. God, this is getting tedious.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:34 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Held 2/2, reserved 4/20. God, this is getting tedious.

Sorry Grumbles. Where you headed?

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:37 pm

how about still being in the forgotten category no hold no waitlist no reserve no nothing. i really feel neglected.if this process doesnt officially end by friday, goodbye to cls. good luck to you all

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Held in March, just got my reserve.

noncontributingzero

Postby noncontributingzero » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Held in March. Put on reserve today.

The Policies and Practices section said particular attention is focused on recent developments. Does anyone think the process is biased towards those still in school? I graduated last year and have nothing new to offer...

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:55 pm

noncontributingzero wrote:Held in March. Put on reserve today.

The Policies and Practices section said particular attention is focused on recent developments. Does anyone think the process is biased towards those still in school? I graduated last year and have nothing new to offer...

Perhaps promotions for those who are still working?

lastMinuteGuy

Postby lastMinuteGuy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Reserve as well this afternoon, held in Feb. Thought with a 4.5+ index I was in good shape, but such is life.

math101

Postby math101 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Held 2/2, Reserved today (4:24pm, EST), sent an LOCI with updated employment information and possibly an additional LOR, although I can't quite remember, numbers well below their standards.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 pm

March hold, Not-rejected-from-Columbia, class of 2014.

vesstan

Postby vesstan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Any holds >> [maddening] silence left?

cbp3443

Postby cbp3443 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 pm

vesstan wrote:Any holds >> [maddening] silence left?

Me! Held in March. The 14th? or the 16th or thereabouts.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 pm

2/2, my friend.

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:33 pm

yup, applied in Oct, held 2/2 --> silence.

Any hold-->dings out there?

vesstan

Postby vesstan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Last edited by vesstan on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Last edited by plurilingue on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 pm

plurilingue wrote:I have to say, from what's happened this week -- a slew of held people with excellent applications, multiple acceptances, and offers from NYU getting reserved -- it seems that theories circulating earlier this year about Columbia using the "hold" function differently were without merit. Perhaps a wave of admits will come in tomorrow, on Friday, or even after the deposit deadline, but I don't see how anything really changed.

Columbia's admissions process is the same as any other school fighting for the upper 1-2% of LSAT test takers: admit mostly candidates at or above median LSAT during the cycle, get as many as possible to matriculate, and then very selectively round out the rest of the class as necessary. That said, outcomes at Columbia (and Penn) appear to be particularly favorable if you're at or above median, while those even one point below face a very different fate....

Also, Habit, I am really surprised that you weren't admitted.

This.

But I hope those of you held and still without answer get in soon. A few hours ago I was still in your position and I remember how badly I wanted to get in!

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:58 pm

plurilingue wrote:I have to say, from what's happened this week -- a slew of held people with excellent applications, multiple acceptances, and offers from NYU getting reserved -- it seems that theories circulating earlier this year about Columbia using the "hold" function differently were without merit. Perhaps a wave of admits will come in tomorrow, on Friday, or even after the deposit deadline, but I don't see how anything really changed.

Columbia's admissions process is the same as any other school fighting for the upper 1-2% of LSAT test takers: admit mostly candidates at or above median LSAT during the cycle, get as many as possible to matriculate, and then very selectively round out the rest of the class as necessary. That said, outcomes at Columbia (and Penn) appear to be particularly favorable if you're at or above median, while those even one point below face a very different fate....

I am honestly really confused by Columbia. In at Harvard, Chicago, and NYU, and reserved here. Admissions is weird.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:59 pm

ebeth wrote:

I am honestly really confused by Columbia. In at Harvard, Chicago, and NYU, and reserved here. Admissions is weird.

I think you have wonderful options, even without columbia!

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 pm

ebeth wrote:

I believe the admission deans at Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia got together and had a draft of the candidates. Protects their interests to guarantee a good yield while making it easier to make a decision. Yale and Chicago did not participate. NYU was not invited.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 pm

CastleRock wrote: I think you have wonderful options, even without columbia!

Thank you, I am extremely grateful and not really sad, just...befuddled.

ETA: glitched, that's exactly it :wink:

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:04 pm

glitched wrote:
ebeth wrote:

I believe the admission deans at Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia got together and had a draft of the candidates. Protects their interests to guarantee a good yield while making it easier to make a decision. Yale and Chicago did not participate. NYU was not invited.

Lol, good call. This seems to fit my cycle as well.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:22 pm

plurilingue wrote:Also, Habit, I am really surprised that you weren't admitted.

Really? That's so kind. But my index was hilariously low and I'm not that special... on paper :wink:

There were some candidates this cycle though with absolutely slamming indices, solid softs and acceptances to peer schools or better who have been reserved or who haven't heard yet, which really does seem bewildering in this supposedly lackluster cycle.

glitched wrote:I believe the admission deans at Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia got together and had a draft of the candidates. Protects their interests to guarantee a good yield while making it easier to make a decision. Yale and Chicago did not participate. NYU was not invited.

This is hilarious.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Good luck to those still waiting!

Excellence = a Habit, I will trade you your Michigan admission and 6 superbowls for my CLS admission :twisted:

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:49 pm

BrightLine wrote:Good luck to those still waiting!

Excellence = a Habit, I will trade you your Michigan admission and 6 superbowls for my CLS admission :twisted:

Hmmmm, sorry, no can do! :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”