Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:00 am

ilovemulch wrote:
Knock wrote:
glitched wrote:
I wish people would stop citing that as an authority. How do you think schools have gotten away from having these policies for years? Because LSAC does not enforce it. Do you think a school is really going to be convinced to let your deadline slide because LSAC told them they can't do it?


LSAC has no power over law schools? they are just the administration that creates the LSAT, administers it, and organizes the law school applications for applicants and law schools.

and yes - you can submit your deposit at a school while still in review at other schools. but you are supposed to withdraw from schools that you have been given a decision. read the agreement you are signing beforehand though. it will state something along the lines of... "I have no commitment to attend another law school, have not deferred enrollment at another law school, will not apply to another law school, and have withdrawn from other law schools to which I was admitted." Nothing in there about withdrawing from schools in which you were not admitted, which includes schools you have not had a decision.


Direct quote from U of C's regular decision commitment response form: "When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2014, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. "


It's a request...but not like it's BINDING you?[/quote]

True, not sure about that.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby glitched » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:00 am

yeah... and what are they gonna do? sue you? 8)

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:00 am

Just to be clear, I think Asha should be right and schools should follow it. That doesn't mean they do.

I didn't say LSAC doesn't have the power, just that they don't exercise it. And glitched, you are right, read the school's contract, because everyone is different.

Also, Dean Z at Michigan mentioned once that LSAC generally doesn't enforce it's statement on good practices.

The only reason why i say be careful is because I don't want other applicants sacrificing their spots because they thought something was true and it wasn't. Just make sure to read your contract and ask questions if you have them.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:02 am

glitched wrote:yeah... and what are they gonna do? sue you? 8)


No. Just revoke admission...

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:02 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
glitched wrote:yeah... and what are they gonna do? sue you? 8)


No. Just revoke admission...


Or scholarships.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:38 am

finally just got a reserve email. held in Feb.

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:43 am

sarahlawg wrote:finally just got a reserve email. held in Feb.


:( Sorry sarah... You've been a lifer here.

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jrose5 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:48 am

sarahlawg wrote:finally just got a reserve email. held in Feb.

Sorry to hear...

expat17
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby expat17 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:49 am

is there anyone out there who was deferred from ED who has heard anything back? even deny or reserve?

i know i know, we have no hope. i'm just curious when or if they have already put any ED deferred's out of their misery and off the tiny thread of hope that gets so attractive to cling to ...

User avatar
altagracia
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby altagracia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:54 am

"Reserve" may still lead to a Yes. Don't count yourself out yet. Good Luck!

BBeauty
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby BBeauty » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 am

Placed on reserve this morning, Held 3/23.

User avatar
altagracia
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby altagracia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:57 am

BBeauty wrote:Placed on reserve this morning, Held 3/23.



This morning what time?

BBeauty
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby BBeauty » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:01 am

altagracia wrote:
BBeauty wrote:Placed on reserve this morning, Held 3/23.



This morning what time?


9:39eastern

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jrose5 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:12 am

May I ask if today's reserves followed up their holds with any new material?

BBeauty
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby BBeauty » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:16 am

jrose5 wrote:May I ask if today's reserves followed up their holds with any new material?


I only sent a LOCI with recent job promotion and current responsibilities (I work for a huge law firm in NYC).

User avatar
BuckeyeGirl
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby BuckeyeGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:36 am

Just thought I'd check in as someone who got the Reserve email this AM after being deferred early decision. With my numbers (and how this cycle has gone) I'm kind of shocked and excited. I was definitely assuming a rejection and not even thinking about it!

Good luck to everyone still waiting :)

User avatar
altagracia
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby altagracia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:45 am

BuckeyeGirl wrote:Just thought I'd check in as someone who got the Reserve email this AM after being deferred early decision. With my numbers (and how this cycle has gone) I'm kind of shocked and excited. I was definitely assuming a rejection and not even thinking about it!

Good luck to everyone still waiting :)


Congrats! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guy
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:54 pm

Postby Guy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:03 am

Seems like a few reserves each day. Whats the order? Can people share their stats, first letter of last name? Credit Card information?

expat17
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby expat17 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:07 am

BuckeyeGirl wrote:Just thought I'd check in as someone who got the Reserve email this AM after being deferred early decision. With my numbers (and how this cycle has gone) I'm kind of shocked and excited. I was definitely assuming a rejection and not even thinking about it!

Good luck to everyone still waiting :)


Congrats indeed! Spoken from a fellow ED deferred I bet it feels great mostly to just have the information out there and the process over with!

Did you send in any additional materials, or did their decision to you come just out of the blue?

Gives me hope that one day I might wake up and have a response too ... after nothing since December, any news is good news at this point!

User avatar
altagracia
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby altagracia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:11 am

Ok so I am thinking of submitting additional information even though I have not been placed on Reserve or on Hold. My question is, I want to submit two additional LOR's and a LOCI. Do you think I will be super annoying to admissions or appear extremely eager. This is the only school I applied to.

expat17
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby expat17 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 am

altagracia wrote:Ok so I am thinking of submitting additional information even though I have not been placed on Reserve or on Hold. My question is, I want to submit two additional LOR's and a LOCI. Do you think I will be super annoying to admissions or appear extremely eager. This is the only school I applied to.


depends how quick you can get the LORs in. Are they already written and in your position, or do you need to get people to write them first? Because my advice would be to submit the LOCI first. Time is not on your side at this point, so best to get the LOCI in first, then deal with the letter (or two) as you receive them.

User avatar
altagracia
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby altagracia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:27 am

expat17 wrote:
altagracia wrote:Ok so I am thinking of submitting additional information even though I have not been placed on Reserve or on Hold. My question is, I want to submit two additional LOR's and a LOCI. Do you think I will be super annoying to admissions or appear extremely eager. This is the only school I applied to.


depends how quick you can get the LORs in. Are they already written and in your position, or do you need to get people to write them first? Because my advice would be to submit the LOCI first. Time is not on your side at this point, so best to get the LOCI in first, then deal with the letter (or two) as you receive them.


Thanks for the suggestion. I was also thinking to have to the LORs emailed and have the originals mailed in.

Thanks again!

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby bmore » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:59 am

Reserve 9:32

User avatar
ebeth
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ebeth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:13 pm

The fact that I was held on 2/2 and have received no email is slightly alarming.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Xifeng » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 pm

.
Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bakewelltart, blueapple, carlos_danger, guybourdin, hopeful applicant, mlp12, tinafeyclone, VapidP and 23 guests