Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wiseguy33

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby wiseguy33 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:16 pm

altagracia wrote:i feel like deleting my gmail account all together... every time a new email comes through, time freezes. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

This x 100.

expat17

Postby expat17 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:17 pm

superdesai wrote:Rejected via snail mail.

was yours dated 4/15 as well?

altagracia

Postby altagracia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:25 pm

is it safe to assume, Acceptances/Holds/WL's/Reserves are notified via email and Rejections will receive letters?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:26 pm

altagracia wrote:is it safe to assume, Acceptances/Holds/WL's/Reserves are notified via email and Rejections will receive letters?

Thus far that has been the trend.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:29 pm

I think we should all be safe now, no? It's after 5, after all!

superdesai

Postby superdesai » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:30 pm

expat17 wrote:
superdesai wrote:Rejected via snail mail.

was yours dated 4/15 as well?

Haven't seen the letter yet, my sister called me with the result. I'd assume it also was 4/15, I'm in Chicago.

noncontributingzero

Postby noncontributingzero » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Sorry to hear about the rejections. Were you guys held?

jplwine

Postby jplwine » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:41 pm

noncontributingzero wrote:Sorry to hear about the rejections. Were you guys held?

No. Applied mid-January, went complete early February and hadn't heard anything since.

altagracia

Postby altagracia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:41 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I think we should all be safe now, no? It's after 5, after all!

Seems like you're only safe If you don't recieve snail mail today.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:56 pm

So what's the consensus on Held applicants? Have rejections started rolling, should I lose all hope?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:00 pm

Ikki wrote:So what's the consensus on Held applicants? Have rejections started rolling, should I lose all hope?

You do realize someone reported a rejection like 10ish posts ago... Right? Did you read the thread prior to posting?

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:01 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Ikki wrote:So what's the consensus on Held applicants? Have rejections started rolling, should I lose all hope?

You do realize someone reported a rejection like 10ish posts ago... Right? Did you read the thread prior to posting?

Of course not.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Seems like not a ton of March holds have heard back, which kind of concerns me. I worry that they'll rush through us this week instead of giving us full consideration. :S

Also, the fact that most decisions from April--> now have been WLs has also been disheartening. They might just be sifting through the piles and making sure they don't accidentally turn away a nobel prize winner.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Ikki wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Of course not.

And why would you? It's not like you're wasting space and people's time to prevent you from having to read for 30 seconds. C'mon man...

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:09 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Ikki wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Of course not.

And why would you? It's not like you're wasting space and people's time to prevent you from having to read for 30 seconds. C'mon man...

Shit, click the flag icon before I completely spam this thread.

lateblooming

Postby lateblooming » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Moderators, I wish to file a formal complaint against Ikki for wasting my time and space.

I was put on reserve. Does this mean I'm special?

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:30 pm

lateblooming wrote:Moderators, I wish to file a formal complaint against Ikki for wasting my time and space.

I was put on reserve. Does this mean I'm special?

Unfortunately, I don't think really, really sucking is a punishable offense.

Sami28

Postby Sami28 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:50 pm

Sorry if this has already been discussed (or if I'm overlooking easy-to-find information), but is it OK to deposit at Columbia while still in review at other schools, or do you need to withdraw from schools you haven't heard from?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 am

Sami28 wrote:Sorry if this has already been discussed (or if I'm overlooking easy-to-find information), but is it OK to deposit at Columbia while still in review at other schools, or do you need to withdraw from schools you haven't heard from?

I don't know what the language actually is for Columbia, but Dean Asha had a blog post that essentially said that the ABA does not allow schools to require you to withdraw applications that have not received a decision before you deposit. Basically what I'm saying is, you don't have to withdraw from schools you haven't heard from.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:34 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Sami28 wrote:Sorry if this has already been discussed (or if I'm overlooking easy-to-find information), but is it OK to deposit at Columbia while still in review at other schools, or do you need to withdraw from schools you haven't heard from?

I don't know what the language actually is for Columbia, but Dean Asha had a blog post that essentially said that the ABA does not allow schools to require you to withdraw applications that have not received a decision before you deposit. Basically what I'm saying is, you don't have to withdraw from schools you haven't heard from.

I wish people would stop citing that as an authority. How do you think schools have gotten away from having these policies for years? Because LSAC does not enforce it. Do you think a school is really going to be convinced to let your deadline slide because LSAC told them they can't do it?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:41 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

I wish people would stop citing that as an authority. How do you think schools have gotten away from having these policies for years? Because LSAC does not enforce it. Do you think a school is really going to be convinced to let your deadline slide because LSAC told them they can't do it?

Whatever, I don't care. Here is the link to the blog: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/archive/2011/04/06/scholarship-deadlines-truth-is-power.aspx

Make your own opinions on whether to believe Cardinals or the Dean of Admissions at Yale. But ask yourself how the waitlist process could ever possibly work if this wasn't the case. Quite frankly, if everyone had to withdraw from schools in order to put down a deposit, it wouldn't.

glitched

Postby glitched » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:43 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

LSAC has no power over law schools? they are just the administration that creates the LSAT, administers it, and organizes the law school applications for applicants and law schools.

and yes - you can submit your deposit at a school while still in review at other schools. but you are supposed to withdraw from schools that you have been given a decision. read the agreement you are signing beforehand though. it will state something along the lines of... "I have no commitment to attend another law school, have not deferred enrollment at another law school, will not apply to another law school, and have withdrawn from other law schools to which I was admitted." Nothing in there about withdrawing from schools in which you were not admitted, which includes schools you have not had a decision.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:52 am

glitched wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

LSAC has no power over law schools? they are just the administration that creates the LSAT, administers it, and organizes the law school applications for applicants and law schools.

and yes - you can submit your deposit at a school while still in review at other schools. but you are supposed to withdraw from schools that you have been given a decision. read the agreement you are signing beforehand though. it will state something along the lines of... "I have no commitment to attend another law school, have not deferred enrollment at another law school, will not apply to another law school, and have withdrawn from other law schools to which I was admitted." Nothing in there about withdrawing from schools in which you were not admitted, which includes schools you have not had a decision.

Direct quote from U of C's regular decision commitment response form: "When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2014, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. "

glitched

Postby glitched » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:54 am

yeah. well every school will be different so read columbia's before you sign up.

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:58 am

Knock wrote:
glitched wrote:

Direct quote from U of C's regular decision commitment response form: "When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2014, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. "[/quote]

It's a request...but not like it's BINDING you?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”