Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ashleyryan

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ashleyryan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:42 pm

texaskk wrote:
samilabuena wrote:
jplwine wrote:
ashleyryan wrote:are there any forgottens who havent heard anything?!! i went complete in february and i haven't heard a peep.

+1

November

Still here from October... Sent an email a week ago asking about the status of my application (this after the woman I spoke to on the phone sounded surprised I hadn't heard anything and advised me to send an email) and I STILL haven't received a response. Feel like at this point they should let me in just to make up for all the anxiety they've caused me throughout this admissions cycle...

holy moly.. i agree. ugh. november is crazy!

i am going to call tomorrow morning

shouldvegoneforanMBA

Postby shouldvegoneforanMBA » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 am

hold on 2/2, no reserved letter yet. bad sign?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:10 am

shouldvegoneforanMBA wrote:hold on 2/2, no reserved letter yet. bad sign?

4/22 is still a while away. At this point, I'm just ready to withdraw...but still.

--ImageRemoved--

shouldvegoneforanMBA

Postby shouldvegoneforanMBA » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 am

yes but I have major deposits due on friday that I'd much rather not to have to put down

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:08 am

I am now really wishing I had used this two months ago when I wrote it.

thelaststraw05 wrote:
glitched wrote:you should send them a vomit covered envelope telling them they've been accepted into my list of schools.

I think a hold email would be more appropriate.

TheLastStraw05 wrote:Dear Columbia Law School:

I wish to inform you that, after careful consideration, your school has been placed in my "Hold" category. which means that you are still under active consideration for where I might attend.

To proved a context for your present status, I have applied to a dozen schools, been accepted at nine, and received merit based scholarships at three. This year I will only be selecting one school to attend, and this year's pool of schools is among the largest and most qualified in my history. Therefore, your current standing represents a testament to Columbia Law School's unique strengths and fit.

While I cannot speculate on my final decision, I want you to know that you are among a select group of schools that I continue to consider - and will continue to consider throughout the rest of this application season. While I know that a last minute decision on my behalf might not be convenient for you, I will let you know by sometime in May.

In the interim, should you wish to admit me by March 31st, I will gladly consider that supplemental material in my decision. If during this time you decide that you no longer wish to be considered for my attendance, kindly notify me by contacting me at XXXXXXX@gmail.com.

Thank you again for your patience. I look forward to being in touch as soon as I receive a decision.

Sincerely,

TheLastStraw05

cucullu

Postby cucullu » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:46 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:I am now really wishing I had used this two months ago when I wrote it.

thelaststraw05 wrote:
glitched wrote:you should send them a vomit covered envelope telling them they've been accepted into my list of schools.

I wish to inform you that, after careful consideration, your school has been placed in my "Hold" category. which means that you are still under active consideration for where I might attend.

To proved a context for your present status, I have applied to a dozen schools, been accepted at nine, and received merit based scholarships at three. This year I will only be selecting one school to attend, and this year's pool of schools is among the largest and most qualified in my history. Therefore, your current standing represents a testament to Columbia Law School's unique strengths and fit.

While I cannot speculate on my final decision, I want you to know that you are among a select group of schools that I continue to consider - and will continue to consider throughout the rest of this application season. While I know that a last minute decision on my behalf might not be convenient for you, I will let you know by sometime in May.

In the interim, should you wish to admit me by March 31st, I will gladly consider that supplemental material in my decision. If during this time you decide that you no longer wish to be considered for my attendance, kindly notify me by contacting me at XXXXXXX@gmail.com.

Thank you again for your patience. I look forward to being in touch as soon as I receive a decision.

Sincerely,

TheLastStraw05

ZOMGOSH. You are my snarky post twin!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=143852&p=4188221#p4188221

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:54 am

cucullu wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:I am now really wishing I had used this two months ago when I wrote it.

thelaststraw05 wrote:

Sincerely,

TheLastStraw05

ZOMGOSH. You are my snarky post twin!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=143852&p=4188221#p4188221

We are truly a snarktastic duo.

melamine

Postby melamine » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 am

have there been any march holds with responses yet?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:21 am

melamine wrote:have there been any march holds with responses yet?

I've been keeping up with this thread pretty closely and no, I don't believe so.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:23 am

jrose5 wrote:
melamine wrote:have there been any march holds with responses yet?

I've been keeping up with this thread pretty closely and no, I don't believe so.

Still a number of us 2/2 holds waiting. Hoping. Expecting rejection/reserve.

ashleyryan

Postby ashleyryan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:01 am

I am a forgotten.. I called, was told to e-mail and CLS e-mailed me back five minutes later. I just asked whether or not a decision had been made and if they were issues with my application...

Dear Ashley,

Thank you for your interest in Columbia Law School. As of today, a decision has not yet been sent on your behalf. We will continue sending decisions through the end of April.

Best wishes,

Columbia Law School
Office of Admissions
Mail Code 4004
435 West 116th Street
New York, NY 10027
Telephone: (212) 854-2670
Fax: (212) 854-1109

waaaaaa

bob77

Postby bob77 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:06 am

ashleyryan wrote:I am a forgotten.. I called, was told to e-mail and CLS e-mailed me back five minutes later. I just asked whether or not a decision had been made and if they were issues with my application...

Dear Ashley,

Thank you for your interest in Columbia Law School. As of today, a decision has not yet been sent on your behalf. We will continue sending decisions through the end of April.

Best wishes,

Columbia Law School
Office of Admissions
Mail Code 4004
435 West 116th Street
New York, NY 10027

waaaaaa

"a decision has not yet been sent" lol

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:14 am

I have to say without a doubt that CLS' process has been the most non-transparent, frustrating one for me this cycle.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:28 am

Confused7 wrote:I have to say without a doubt that CLS' process has been the most non-transparent, frustrating one for me this cycle.

I would agree, except Penn, Virginia, and Cornell have all been super weird for me too.

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:39 pm

ebeth wrote:
Confused7 wrote:I have to say without a doubt that CLS' process has been the most non-transparent, frustrating one for me this cycle.

I would agree, except Penn, Virginia, and Cornell have all been super weird for me too.

Columbia, Penn, Cornell, Brooklyn, Fordham, and Yale were by far the weirdest.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:41 pm

subtle wrote:
ebeth wrote:

I don't have experience applying to those schools, but at least YLS is YLS and they can do whatever they want. Also the fact that I had no delusion of grandeur of being able to get into YLS in the first place, whereas with CLS I didn't think it was a complete crapshoot. Sigh.

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Confused7 wrote:
subtle wrote:
ebeth wrote:

I don't have experience applying to those schools, but at least YLS is YLS and they can do whatever they want. Also the fact that I had no delusion of grandeur of being able to get into YLS in the first place, whereas with CLS I didn't think it was a complete crapshoot. Sigh.

The fact that I have a WL at Yale and not a big fat letter in the mail that just says LOLOLOLOLOL is a testament to YLS's weirdness. Really, this entire admissions process is just a black hole.

Anyway, you're one of the ones still waiting? I'll be rooting for you. Now that law_monkey has a decision, I need someone new to root for.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:45 pm

subtle wrote:
ebeth wrote:

Northeastern schools are struggling.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:47 pm

They do get the most apps.

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:They do get the most apps.

You. Stop with the reason.

Bar tonight? I'm going to harass you until you come. We're running out of time, buddyyyyy. Graduation is fast approaching.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:10 pm

ashleyryan wrote:I am a forgotten.. I called, was told to e-mail and CLS e-mailed me back five minutes later. I just asked whether or not a decision had been made and if they were issues with my application...

Dear Ashley,

Best wishes,

Columbia Law School
Office of Admissions
Mail Code 4004
435 West 116th Street
New York, NY 10027

waaaaaa

That's just.... I don't know what to say about that.

NYU's administration is a mess, but you get answers eventually. CLS is just... weird.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 pm

What does transparent v non transparent in the context of law school admissions? How is CLS better or worse than anyone else?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 pm

RJ127 wrote:
subtle wrote:
ebeth wrote:

Northeastern schools are struggling.

Stanford would like to join that party.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 pm

BrightLine wrote:

What does transparent v non transparent in the context of law school admissions? How is CLS better or worse than anyone else?

I was referring to the fact that CLS' status check is basically useless after you go complete and their sudden switch-up of sending emails v.s. VCEs for decisions in the middle of the cycle was unexpected. I was previously held at HLS as well, but at least HLS has been steadily giving answers to their holds whereas I think CLS is really holding onto us until April 22nd. Again, this is just my experience as I've obviously only applied to a limited number of schools.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:58 pm

For me they sent an email with a scanned copy of a letter which came 2 days letter in the "VCE"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”