Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mcweanis

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby mcweanis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:52 pm

Don't be sad lem! You were my favorite person that I met.

I also can't put my finger on what wasn't right at cls. I met a lot of people I didn't like, but most of them will be at nyus asw (I'm sitting in a panel right now!) I think there was a lack of excitement and energy among current students (minus lem). Both my classes were boring but that's probably just coincidence. By the end of the day I was like 'no way im going here.'

I'm at nyu now and love it so far - what do you mean manipulate?? Pm!
Last edited by mcweanis on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:54 pm

Ps - I was totally set on cls before this weekend; I was barely even considering nyu - so I dont think I was biased; if anything my expectations were to high.

I also went to penn's asw and loved it. This will be a tough choice.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm

mcweanis wrote:Don't be sad lem! You were my favorite person that I met.

I also can't put my finger on what wasn't right at cls. I met a lot of people I didn't like, but most of them will be at nyus asw (I'm sitting in a panel right now!) I think there was a lack of excitement and energy among current students (minus lem). Both my classes were boring but that's probably just coincidence. By the end of the day I was like 'no way im going here.'

My opinion is also skewed by a meeting I had with a dean and some employees from Social justice initiatives. My mom knows him and got me a meeting, and he basically said Columbia was cold and competitive, not collegial, and that nyu was a better choice for a pi person - ad he runs the pi program!!

I don't want to doubt you, but the person running the program telling you that? That's just too hard to believe. I really should've gone to this ASW to be the fact-checker...too bad I couldn't make it.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:00 pm

(edited for angry mom). Someone also brought up the petition to reform cls' crappy pi program that students made last year, and the panelists kind of danced around it.
Last edited by mcweanis on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:14 pm

I was at the ASP in early March and thoroughly enjoyed it. I met a lot of really cool people (both admits and current students), although there were a few who stuck out as potential gunners.

All in all, I loved my experience there and thought the events were well-planned and executed. I'm a bit surprised at all the negative feedback for this particular ASP.

miamiman09

Postby miamiman09 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:17 pm

Curry wrote:
miamiman09 wrote:Since I didn't get in until earlier this week, I couldn't make it to the ASW. Got the admit letter from NYU this week as well, so same story there. I've decided to road trip and visit both of them early next week but unfortunately I won't get the full ASW treatment.

Trying to set up the visits, CLS has been very helpful. I left a message and got a personal callback from Jill Nussbaum. They have a guided tour of the law school every day and can give me a 1-day pass to get into all the buildings and one of the residences. NYU, on the other hand, has been the opposite of helpful. They don't have regularly schedule tours I can join, only a "self-guided" version. I called the Admissions Office and they said that the one person that can help set something up for me is out of town on vacation and that I can email them and they will respond when they get back next week (best case scenario, I hear from them the day before I plan to drive an entire day to visit). Top that off with Columbia's nice acceptance packet (devoid of FinAid, though :( ) versus NYU's letter and campus map in an envelope, and first impressions are certainly favoring CLS.

Which is why I'm disheartened to hear negative post-ASW reviews! Those that can elaborate, please PM or post. Also, anyone that has suggestions about where to go/who to talk to/what to do when I'm visiting next week, your advice would be very much appreciated.

Are you sure columbia offers guided tours?
http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... g/taketour

From CLS's website and confirmed by the email I received from Jill Nussbaum: "The Law School offers guided tours for admitted students between the dates of February 22 through April 21. The tours are scheduled from 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. (Monday - Thursday) and begin at the Office of Admissions (1125 Amsterdam Avenue, between 115th and 116th streets, 5th Floor)."

However, that's under "Visiting Columbia" on the Admitted Students website. As you pointed out, under the same heading on the regular website it explicitly states that they do NOT offer daily guided tours. Weird.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:39 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:44 pm

mcweanis wrote:I feel like my visit to Columbia sucked out all of my excitement about law school and now I'm depressed. Hopefully nyu will be better. Thoughts?

How so? Maybe it's just me but I was amazed and impressed by their ASW and I'm psyched to maybe go there.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:52 pm

I feel like the last dozen or whatever posts shows that choosing a law school should not be a formulaic decision. It isn't as simple as USNWR + $$ considerations = best school for you at attend. There are so many personal variables that are at play and that's the sort of thing that gets lost a lot of the time around here.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:12 pm

alphamoose wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I feel like the last dozen or whatever posts shows that choosing a law school should not be a formulaic decision. It isn't as simple as USNWR + $$ considerations = best school for you at attend. There are so many personal variables that are at play and that's the sort of thing that gets lost a lot of the time around here.

+ten million. This is so true. The only reason I felt the need to give my (pretty worthless) opinion was because everyone was being super negative and I wanted to help give another side.

Especially when comparing NYU and Columbia. The two have very similar prestige, placement, etc., but VERY different student bodies and atmospheres (as far as I can tell at least). I loved NYU and thought CLS was just okay (obviously still very good, I just mean relative). But there are a lot of people who are just the opposite, and that should be expected.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:16 pm

alphamoose wrote: let's be real, no one likes their law school that much.

This is the attitude that I felt from the cls students...but I've met a lot of kids at a decent amount of schools that really are enjoying law school. I know also know law students who hate their classes and the law but they still are enjoying themselves because of their classmates and other outside-the-classroom experiences. I will say that I've never left an ASW feeling like I do now...

Law school willene miserable if you don't find a school that is right for you. Please visit schools!

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:21 pm

shouldn't liking your law school be a top priority? lol some people say it's only three years, but schools as good as NYU and Columbia, might as well make it an awesome three year experience. And I for one will think I will do better in school if I am happier. But that's just me.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:25 pm

cucullu

Postby cucullu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:

My opinion is also skewed by a meeting I had with a dean and some employees from Social justice initiatives. My mom knows him and got me a meeting, and he basically said Columbia was cold and competitive, not collegial, and that nyu was a better choice for a pi person - ad he runs the pi program!!

I don't want to doubt you, but the person running the program telling you that? That's just too hard to believe. I really should've gone to this ASW to be the fact-checker...too bad I couldn't make it.

Concur with the bolded sentiment. But something WAS just a bit off. I feel a bit sad for some reason now.

I also had a similar experience to above with one of the Social Justice Initiatives staffers. The person I spoke with had very few answers to my specific questions about Columbia's programs--this was apparently one of the newer staffers. Not sure that being new really counts as an excuse though. I mean, it's your job, right? The day did absolutely nothing to improve my preliminary, based-on-reputation-only impression of Columbia's (lack of?) commitment to PI. Blargh.

By the end of the day I just wanted to go lay down in a quiet room. Which was a bummer because I started off really enjoying meeting other admits and current students. If I met you today, I probably thought you were cool. 8) I thought the day took a nose dive energy wise mid-morning and never recovered. Again... not really sure why. Anyone else think they know why?

Also, anyone else think the professors seemed too cool for school? They've been friendlier at other ASWs I've attended.

NYU, please be awesome tomorrow!

P.S. People who have said NYU is manipulative--what do you mean by that? Feel free to PM me. I'm curious to know what I should be paying attention to tomorrow.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:28 pm

cucullu wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:

Concur with the bolded sentiment. But something WAS just a bit off. I feel a bit sad for some reason now.

I also had a similar experience to above with one of the Social Justice Initiatives staffers. The person I spoke with had very few answers to my specific questions about Columbia's programs--this was apparently one of the newer staffers. Not sure that being new really counts as an excuse though. I mean, it's your job, right? The day did absolutely nothing to improve my preliminary, based-on-reputation-only impression of Columbia's (lack of?) commitment to PI. Blargh.

By the end of the day I just wanted to go lay down in a quiet room. Which was a bummer because I started off really enjoying meeting other admits and current students. If I met you today, I probably thought you were cool. 8) I thought the day took a nose dive energy wise mid-morning and never recovered. Again... not really sure why. Anyone else think they know why?

Also, anyone else think the professors seemed too cool for school? They've been friendlier at other ASWs I've attended.

NYU, please be awesome tomorrow!

P.S. People who have said NYU is manipulative--what do you mean by that? Feel free to PM me. I'm curious to know what I should be paying attention to tomorrow.

When I said manipulative, I guess I meant more that I just fell prey to their pitch a bit harder. Maybe it was because CLS made almost no pitch, but I realized that I might have just been too high on NYU because of the shortcomings of CLS's ASD.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:31 pm

alphamoose wrote:
The Stig wrote:

This is the attitude that I felt from the cls students...but I've met a lot of kids at a decent amount of schools that really are enjoying law school. I know also know law students who hate their classes and the law but they still are enjoying themselves because of their classmates and other outside-the-classroom experiences. I will say that I've never left an ASW feeling like I do now...

Law school willene miserable if you don't find a school that is right for you. Please visit schools!

Thats not exactly what I was saying though.. The students I talked to seemed to really like it, they had good things to say about most everything and were really enjoying themselves. They just didn't rave about it to the point where I felt they were being insincere. Or maybe people do like law school so much they rave about it and I'm missing something.

Okay yeah I see what you are saying. It's like a mediocre letter of recommendation that is "damning with faint praise"-when everyone at other schools raves about their experience (to an extent), cls students who said that they "enjoy it" or "like it" I get the willies.

Also, I really agree with cucullu's summary of the bolded part. Not really sure what it was, but it was something...

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:34 pm

NYU definitely tries to sell themselves a bit more, and it sounds like they're more skillful at doing so. The red carpet was DEFINITELY out, and it was pretty easy to fall for.

However, I think a lot of what they said in this process is still backed up by factual evidence.

(Except for the 2L guaranteeing biglaw, of course.)

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:35 pm

i think i know what it was... there was no alcohol at Columbia's ASD.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:37 pm

glitched wrote:i think i know what it was... there was no alcohol at Columbia's ASD.

I had alcohol. Lots and lots of it. Too much in fact.

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:47 pm

Last edited by Kaitlyn on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:54 pm

For the record: Curry did not attend the ASW, but went separately.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:02 pm

incompetentia wrote:For the record: Curry did not attend the ASW, but went separately.

I also went separately

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:31 pm

glitched wrote:i think i know what it was... there was no alcohol at Columbia's ASD.

There was on the first day...

Also I kind of liked the not going overboard to sell themselves...it seemed less fake (at least to me).

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:36 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:Also I kind of liked the not going overboard to sell themselves...it seemed less fake (at least to me).

Or lazy/don't care about you... either way :wink:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”