Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neonx

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby neonx » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:41 am

TLS may be meeting tomorrow... but it's still sketchily up in the air because CLS is gonna surprise us with a still-unrevealed schedule of events.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks so much for the thanks and for all the encouragement! Good luck to everyone still waiting, especially my fellow forgotten (even if you're held now)!!! <3 you all!!!

swl56

Postby swl56 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:11 pm

i know chances are slim to none of getting in from ED deferred pile, but should i expect to hear anything at all (either acceptance or rejection)? does anyone know when?

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:21 pm

I feel like my visit to Columbia sucked out all of my excitement about law school and now I'm depressed. Hopefully nyu will be better. Thoughts?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:28 pm

mcweanis wrote:I feel like my visit to Columbia sucked out all of my excitement about law school and now I'm depressed. Hopefully nyu will be better. Thoughts?

This is a common sentiment among people visiting CLS, it seems. Not too comforting, especially when the NYU event (I thought) rocked.

If you head over, you might still be able to catch the free beer and pizza.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:29 pm

mcweanis wrote:I feel like my visit to Columbia sucked out all of my excitement about law school and now I'm depressed. Hopefully nyu will be better. Thoughts?

I wasn't at ASW (still held...) but I'm interested in hearing more about this...

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 pm

Is CLS the only school you have visited? I'll say that each of the schools I have visited have a very different vibe, so I wouldn't judge law school just based off one school!

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:32 pm

I honestly had the same feeling. Columbia was my dream school and it sucked the love right out of me

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:34 pm

I think Columbia's ASW needs some serious re-working. I really did not like their ASW. I felt like they weren't trying (their attitude was basically well unless you get into HYS you're coming here right so we aren't going to work too hard). Also, aside from an interesting discussion about IP law with Scott Hemphill, none of the panels were interesting and everything seemed kind of lame. I enjoyed NYU's ASW a lot better. More interesting panels, I felt like they wanted me to come there, and there was a general excitement and buzz that wasn't present at CLS. That said, now that it's been about a month, I feel more manipulated by NYU and looking at the schools rationally I still am torn between them.
Last edited by chasgoose on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:34 pm

Curry wrote:

I honestly had the same feeling. Columbia was my dream school and it sucked the love right out of me

explain please. :)

Edit: added a :) to sound more pleasant.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:37 pm

glitched wrote:
Curry wrote:

Check your PMs

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Curry wrote:
glitched wrote:
Curry wrote:

Check your PMs

sorry, but could you please PM me, as well? thanks!

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:40 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:sorry, but could you please PM me, as well? thanks!

Done

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:41 pm

When I visited the campus I wasn't terribly impressed either. The main campus is gorgeous, but the law school feels pretty secluded and it just felt more depressing. It's tough to describe, but it was just a feeling I had.

That said, I would still love for Columbia to accept me!

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:46 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:When I visited the campus I wasn't terribly impressed either. The main campus is gorgeous, but the law school feels pretty secluded and it just felt more depressing. It's tough to describe, but it was just a feeling I had.

That said, I would still love for Columbia to accept me!

Agreed, the law school buildings are kind of bland and corporate looking on the inside. Personally I think this is a problem throughout the Columbia campus. Even the pretty nice buildings on campus (with the exception of Low and Butler libraries) are usually pretty bland and ugly on the inside. Some of the undergrad dorms are almost criminal in the way that they took beautiful old NYC apartment buildings and tried to make them as characterless and soulless as possible. I understand that the dorms have to be small, but do they have to be so ugly too? The law school dorms did seem slightly better.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:49 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:55 pm

alphamoose wrote:
Curry wrote:

Done

Even though I'm here now, I'm still curious about your thoughts. Pm please? :)

+1 here...

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Just keep visiting schools! I left my visit to another school this past weekend SO excited for law school... and even classes in law school. You just have to find the right fit! :D

miamiman09

Postby miamiman09 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:14 pm

Since I didn't get in until earlier this week, I couldn't make it to the ASW. Got the admit letter from NYU this week as well, so same story there. I've decided to road trip and visit both of them early next week but unfortunately I won't get the full ASW treatment.

Trying to set up the visits, CLS has been very helpful. I left a message and got a personal callback from Jill Nussbaum. They have a guided tour of the law school every day and can give me a 1-day pass to get into all the buildings and one of the residences. NYU, on the other hand, has been the opposite of helpful. They don't have regularly schedule tours I can join, only a "self-guided" version. I called the Admissions Office and they said that the one person that can help set something up for me is out of town on vacation and that I can email them and they will respond when they get back next week (best case scenario, I hear from them the day before I plan to drive an entire day to visit). Top that off with Columbia's nice acceptance packet (devoid of FinAid, though :( ) versus NYU's letter and campus map in an envelope, and first impressions are certainly favoring CLS.

Which is why I'm disheartened to hear negative post-ASW reviews! Those that can elaborate, please PM or post. Also, anyone that has suggestions about where to go/who to talk to/what to do when I'm visiting next week, your advice would be very much appreciated.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Ding via snail mail

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:18 pm

miamiman09 wrote:Since I didn't get in until earlier this week, I couldn't make it to the ASW. Got the admit letter from NYU this week as well, so same story there. I've decided to road trip and visit both of them early next week but unfortunately I won't get the full ASW treatment.

Trying to set up the visits, CLS has been very helpful. I left a message and got a personal callback from Jill Nussbaum. They have a guided tour of the law school every day and can give me a 1-day pass to get into all the buildings and one of the residences. NYU, on the other hand, has been the opposite of helpful. They don't have regularly schedule tours I can join, only a "self-guided" version. I called the Admissions Office and they said that the one person that can help set something up for me is out of town on vacation and that I can email them and they will respond when they get back next week (best case scenario, I hear from them the day before I plan to drive an entire day to visit). Top that off with Columbia's nice acceptance packet (devoid of FinAid, though :( ) versus NYU's letter and campus map in an envelope, and first impressions are certainly favoring CLS.

Which is why I'm disheartened to hear negative post-ASW reviews! Those that can elaborate, please PM or post. Also, anyone that has suggestions about where to go/who to talk to/what to do when I'm visiting next week, your advice would be very much appreciated.

Are you sure columbia offers guided tours?
http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... g/taketour

hiya24

Postby hiya24 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:23 pm

Curry wrote:

Done

Could you please PM me too? Thanks!

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 pm

Sorry so many of you had a bad time. As someone who participated in Admit outreach, I feel bad that your experiences did not live up to your expectations - although I (obviously) disagree about the school and campus being "lame" and "boring." If you have any questions or concerns that I can address, please feel free to PM.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:29 pm

Lem37 wrote:Sorry so many of you had a bad time. As someone who participated in Admit outreach, I feel bad that your experiences did not live up to your expectations - although I (obviously) disagree about the school and campus being "lame" and "boring." If you have any questions or concerns that I can address, please feel free to PM.

I don't really think it's Columbia's fault. There is just something off about the ASW that I couldn't put my finger on. Also, my issues with Columbia's campus are of a greater frustration stemming from four years of seeing the bleak asylum-chic dorms my sister had to live in (just because they are small doesn't mean they also have to be ugly) and seeing how the campus seems to abuse its nice buildings by completely gutting the interiors. To be perfectly honest, I kind of like CLS better than most of Columbia's campus once you get inside... That said, despite my frustration with aesthetics and the ASW, I realized that NYU was more fun, but also more manipulative so in the end its still a wash for me deciding between the two.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:30 pm

Dany wrote:

Just keep visiting schools! I left my visit to another school this past weekend SO excited for law school... and even classes in law school. You just have to find the right fit! :D

Yeah but you were extremely pro-that school from the beginning. They would've had to spit at you to change your mind LOL. You might be the most enthusiastic person about a school I've ever seen. They need to have you do recruiting next year :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”