Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amorfati

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby amorfati » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:08 am

Also in off of the hold list as of yesterday! 176/3.6.

Fortunately for me I live in the city so I can make it to the admitted students days (starting tomorrow). Anyone else going to make the last minute trip?

agora139

Postby agora139 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:12 am

so jealous of all the hold --> admits! congrats to you all :)
i can has decision?

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:51 am

agora139 wrote:so jealous of all the hold --> admits! congrats to you all :)
i can has decision?

+ 1

I live in the city too and would love an admit as well.....:( Congrats to all!! Very strong numbers so far. Please dip lower for LSATs?

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:05 pm

I've been checking in periodically to see when holds started getting in, and it's finally happened. Congratulations to the new admits! Now my greed/hope for a CLS acceptance has returned.

texaskk

Postby texaskk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:07 pm

Ok, so... I'm really happy for all of the people who have gotten in after being held, truly I am, but does anyone else think it is just patently absurd that they are giving people whose applications have been "held for further review" decisions when there are still people who submitted in Oct. who have not been held or received any decision at all (aka the Forgotten)? If they are (as it seems they are) actually holding our applications for further review, why on earth couldn't they just send us a hold email and tell us that's what they were doing?!

BEYOND frustrated right now I am sorry

ryokoyuy

Postby ryokoyuy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:11 pm

texaskk wrote:Ok, so... I'm really happy for all of the people who have gotten in after being held, truly I am, but does anyone else think it is just patently absurd that they are giving people whose applications have been "held for further review" decisions when there are still people who submitted in Oct. who have not been held or received any decision at all (aka the Forgotten)? If they are (as it seems they are) actually holding our applications for further review, why on earth couldn't they just send us a hold email and tell us that's what they were doing?!

I feel your pain. At least partially, I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be to
have submitted in October and still be among the forgotten. I submitted in January, so I know
it's not really on to be frustrated, but seeing people that submitted at the same time held or admitted
while still hearing nothing is definitely frustrating.

ringdabell

Postby ringdabell » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:20 pm

any news for the held today? :?

I wonder if the admissions office send out an email at a specific time or what...

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:39 pm

texaskk wrote:Ok, so... I'm really happy for all of the people who have gotten in after being held, truly I am, but does anyone else think it is just patently absurd that they are giving people whose applications have been "held for further review" decisions when there are still people who submitted in Oct. who have not been held or received any decision at all (aka the Forgotten)? If they are (as it seems they are) actually holding our applications for further review, why on earth couldn't they just send us a hold email and tell us that's what they were doing?!

Who was it that said that the website says people who apply by December should hear by the end of March?

I think you have a legitimate beef if you don't get anything by tomorrow. Have you called yet?

texaskk

Postby texaskk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:41 pm

incompetentia wrote:

Who was it that said that the website says people who apply by December should hear by the end of March?

I think you have a legitimate beef if you don't get anything by tomorrow. Have you called yet?

That was me! The exact sentence from the website reads: "Candidates who have completed their applications by the end of December may expect to be notified by March."

Believe me, I am counting down the hours until I can make that call..

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Just be sure to start out with "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

That'll be the most effective.

capsman11

Postby capsman11 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 pm

How are admitted Holds being notified? E-mail? Snailmail?

texaskk

Postby texaskk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:54 pm

incompetentia wrote:Just be sure to start out with "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

That'll be the most effective.

Haha. Ok, so, to preserve my own sanity (what little is left) I went ahead and called and asked whether they'd be adhering to the policy of letting applicants who submitting by December know by March, and she gave the typical "I can look and see if a decision has been mailed but I can't tell you the content," so I said okay and gave her my info, and she said "Ok I see that your application was submitted in October, a decision hasn't been sent yet but you should be hearing from us very soon."

Who wants to bet that means I'll be getting my hold email b the end of today?
:lol:

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 pm

texaskk wrote:Haha. Ok, so, to preserve my own sanity (what little is left) I went ahead and called and asked whether they'd be adhering to the policy of letting applicants who submitting by December know by March, and she gave the typical "I can look and see if a decision has been mailed but I can't tell you the content," so I said okay and gave her my info, and she said "Ok I see that your application was submitted in October, a decision hasn't been sent yet but you should be hearing from us very soon."

Who wants to bet that means I'll be getting my hold email b the end of today?
:lol:

The only other person I know who got such a response was Fresh, and he got his Butler email the same day. I seriously doubt that you'll be getting a hold since people have already been coming off the list...I'll see you ten on an admit bro

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:57 pm

i dunno, a friend of mine just got held yesterday so they're still going out

edit: my friend was a february submit though

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:14 pm

TLS CLS/NYU ASW #2 Survey

If you're attending either/both admitted students days this weekend
in Manhattan and might be interested in a TLS meet-up, please
fill out this quick survey. This is so last minute, but I figured there
might be interested people.

Form: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewfor ... Q0dhRmc6MQ

Results: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CK_hnpQC

llamaman

Postby llamaman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:35 pm

Is this week's ASW the last? For those of you who felt the warm embrace of NYU's ASW but are held at CLS, are you anticipating a diificult decision if admitted? I don't see how I could make an informed decision about my "fit" with CLS without spending a couple days in the community. Walking aimlessly around campus/doing a tour/speaking with random people doesn't seem to cut it.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:37 pm

llamaman wrote:Is this week's ASW the last? For those of you who felt the warm embrace of NYU's ASW but are held at CLS, are you anticipating a diificult decision if admitted? I don't see how I could make an informed decision about my "fit" with CLS without spending a couple days in the community. Walking aimlessly around campus/doing a tour/speaking with random people doesn't seem to cut it.

I don't think you will be able to glean much more from CLS's ASW.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:42 pm

I went to the March 3-4 NYU ASW and loved it. However, I received no money from NYU.

My numbers should be high enough to make it into CLS off hold. If they admit me with no money, I'll be highly torn. (I am looking into PI to start with, so money isn't as big a concern as it may be for other people...it's also pulling me slightly toward NYU.)

I believe there is an April 18 event that Columbia runs, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it for that. FFFFfffffffff

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:50 pm

incompetentia wrote:For Columbia, the index is as follows:

(0.045 x LSAT) + (0.559 x GPA) - 5.512

that means my index is 3.986. Is that bad for Columbia? I got placed on hold last month, with a lovely "hold" letter.
Any predictions? I think some schools might have given my a urm boost, not sure since I am "other hispanic."

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:52 pm

llamaman wrote:Is this week's ASW the last? For those of you who felt the warm embrace of NYU's ASW but are held at CLS, are you anticipating a diificult decision if admitted? I don't see how I could make an informed decision about my "fit" with CLS without spending a couple days in the community. Walking aimlessly around campus/doing a tour/speaking with random people doesn't seem to cut it.

It's the last 2-day program at CLS, but they do have another shorter one-day event on April 18 (kind of a condensed ASW).

As someone who was admitted at NYU awhile ago but held at Columbia, I was getting really nervous about the possibility of having to make that decision without really getting to see Columbia. Fortunately, Columbia just took me off the hold list, so I'm looking forward to going to ASW tomorrow! Too bad that NYU's and Columbia's ASWs overlap, though - I'm not sure what I'll do about Thursday... for anyone else hoping to do both, what's your plan?

llamaman

Postby llamaman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:54 pm

chasgoose wrote:

I don't think you will be able to glean much more from CLS's ASW.

I take it you attended?

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:55 pm

amorfati wrote:

It's the last 2-day program at CLS, but they do have another shorter one-day event on April 18 (kind of a condensed ASW).

As someone who was admitted at NYU awhile ago but held at Columbia, I was getting really nervous about the possibility of having to make that decision without really getting to see Columbia. Fortunately, Columbia just took me off the hold list, so I'm looking forward to going to ASW tomorrow! Too bad that NYU's and Columbia's ASWs overlap, though - I'm not sure what I'll do about Thursday... for anyone else hoping to do both, what's your plan?

Head down to NYU in the afternoon on Thursday. Nothing interesting really happens until the evening.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:58 pm

amorfati wrote: Too bad that NYU's and Columbia's ASWs overlap, though - I'm not sure what I'll do about Thursday... for anyone else hoping to do both, what's your plan?

Here's the schedule from the previous NYU ASW.

The consensus in the NYU thread seems to be that the Thursday events are much less useful (although I did enjoy greatly the class visit that I had). If CLS has useful stuff going as late as 4 or 5, you probably won't miss all that much, if you're not interested in hearing 2Ls saying that they can guarantee biglaw jobs for you if you go there.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:13 pm

incompetentia wrote:
amorfati wrote: Too bad that NYU's and Columbia's ASWs overlap, though - I'm not sure what I'll do about Thursday... for anyone else hoping to do both, what's your plan?

Here's the schedule from the previous NYU ASW.

The consensus in the NYU thread seems to be that the Thursday events are much less useful (although I did enjoy greatly the class visit that I had). If CLS has useful stuff going as late as 4 or 5, you probably won't miss all that much, if you're not interested in hearing 2Ls saying that they can guarantee biglaw jobs for you if you go there.

Yeah, I'm not particularly interested in the biglaw scene anyway. I have heard that the second days are better at both ASWs, but unfortunately, I probably have to work on Friday (and won't find out for sure until that morning). I'm wondering if it would be better to just do all of Columbia's (since I think that's where I'll probably end up anyway), or if I should at least give NYU's a chance... there are definitely some things I like better about NYU, but I'm not sure if it will be enough to sway me from my Columbia dream! (Although I am a sucker for sexy libraries, and CLS is definitely lacking on that front.)

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Would Apr 14-15 at NYU be an option for you at all? I would seriously think about splitting the two up if you don't think Friday will be a valid option.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”