Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawscholar20

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby lawscholar20 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Frasier27 wrote:Just got reserved via email.

Is "reserved" a WL?

waitlisteddd

Postby waitlisteddd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Kwax wrote:Held via email today. Glad to still be in the running :D

+1
although i wish i had your optimism. being held at this point is just ridiculous.

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:36 pm

lol so i sent them an email saying i have a scholarship deadline and to please respond before then. and they did! they responded the very same day! and held me.

come on now columbia, must we be so passive aggresive?

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:39 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:lol so i sent them an email saying i have a scholarship deadline and to please respond before then. and they did! they responded the very same day! and held me.

:lol: You told them that you needed a response and the best they could do was inform you that your response has been delayed. CLS really makes waiting miserable by giving you no indication of what's going on with your app...

afLSAT

Postby afLSAT » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:47 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:lol so i sent them an email saying i have a scholarship deadline and to please respond before then. and they did! they responded the very same day! and held me.

What were your submit / complete dates?

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:50 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:

:lol: You told them that you needed a response and the best they could do was inform you that your response has been delayed. CLS really makes waiting miserable by giving you no indication of what's going on with your app...

lol true, maybe I should write a followup letter:

Dear Columbia,

Just to clarify, when I asked for a response I assumed you understood that the response should be useful.

xoxo,

ChriLa425

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:51 pm

afLSAT wrote:

What were your submit / complete dates?

submitted 11/30 and complete 1/18

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Is anyone going to the accepted student's reception in DC tomorrow night?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:21 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:Is anyone going to the accepted student's reception in DC tomorrow night?

You don't belong with us angsties. Get out bro

bluecanary622

Postby bluecanary622 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:57 pm

incompetentia wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:Is anyone going to the accepted student's reception in DC tomorrow night?

Hey!
I applied to Columbia early February (I know, really late) – and I haven’t heard anything. I’m not surprised at all since I applied late, but I was wondering if anyone knows about how long it takes to get decisions and how they come (dings vs. WL vs. acceptance)—whether it’s through mail or e-mail.
Also, does anyone know about how long it takes to get a decision and when the latest we’ll hear by is? I have a couple schools that want a deposit by April 1—so I’m getting nervous I’m not going to hear back by then.
Thanks for any info!

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 pm

waitlisteddd wrote:
Kwax wrote:Held via email today. Glad to still be in the running :D

+1
although i wish i had your optimism. being held at this point is just ridiculous.

Well, at this point I've gotten a few acceptances that I'm happy with, so it had really taken my mind off the wait. I just kind of assumed that I was in a hopeless situation here until I got the email. At least, I know there's still a chance now. I interpret the late holds to mean "hey, we like you, but we need to make sure we have room for you after we finish accepting all the shoo-ins". Of course, that's the optimistic view. At the very least, it means they'll take one more look at my application. Given that Columbia was my top choice from the start and a bit of a reach, I'm happy with that.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Oh and before I forget, are you other holds going to send a LOCI? I'm not sure how much value it adds, but I suppose it really couldn't hurt either.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:53 pm

bluecanary622 wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

Hey!
I applied to Columbia early February (I know, really late) – and I haven’t heard anything. I’m not surprised at all since I applied late, but I was wondering if anyone knows about how long it takes to get decisions and how they come (dings vs. WL vs. acceptance)—whether it’s through mail or e-mail.
Also, does anyone know about how long it takes to get a decision and when the latest we’ll hear by is? I have a couple schools that want a deposit by April 1—so I’m getting nervous I’m not going to hear back by then.
Thanks for any info!

Columbia's the strange one this year. Decisions were all coming by snail mail until 14-16 Feb - around this time, they switched off to email for acceptances. (I believe dings are still arriving through snail mail.) We have seen occasional instances of snail mail WLs, although there aren't more than one or two reports of these.

(Summary: Dings by snail mail, everything else should be an email.)

Columbia still hasn't said anything more than "generally in the order they are received" and "through the end of April", which is fun for those of us who have been waiting since October.

bluecanary622

Postby bluecanary622 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 pm

incompetentia wrote:
bluecanary622 wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

Hey!
Thanks for any info!

Columbia's the strange one this year. Decisions were all coming by snail mail until 14-16 Feb - around this time, they switched off to email for acceptances. (I believe dings are still arriving through snail mail.) We have seen occasional instances of snail mail WLs, although there aren't more than one or two reports of these.

(Summary: Dings by snail mail, everything else should be an email.)

Columbia still hasn't said anything more than "generally in the order they are received" and "through the end of April", which is fun for those of us who have been waiting since October.

ahh, ok--thanks!

i'm not a fan of the idea of snail mail dings. an e-mail seems so much easier if its bad news!

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 pm

incompetentia wrote:

Quit cock blocking, brah. <3

bendurnotes4me

Postby bendurnotes4me » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:56 am

No more action on this front?

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:06 am

bendurnotes4me wrote:No more action on this front?

Guess not...I'll give it until mid-April and then withdraw. Too bad, would have liked to stay in NYC.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:07 am

Nope. I was on spring break all week last week, and I had myself completely convinced that there would be a reserve/ding letter sitting for me when I got home. How pathetic is it that I was actually disappointed when nothing was there?

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 am

law_monkey wrote:

Nope. I was on spring break all week last week, and I had myself completely convinced that there would be a reserve/ding letter sitting for me when I got home. How pathetic is it that I was actually disappointed when nothing was there?

I had the same reaction on my spring break, but then I got in afterward. I have faith in you.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:12 am

subtle wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

I had the same reaction on my spring break, but then I got in afterward. I have faith in you.

Haha thanks! I think someone said earlier that people who applied by December will hear by March, so there aren't that many days left. If I don't hear by then at least I can call the office again with that bit of info and be like WTF?

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:17 am

I definitely would. I will say this about the people who answer Columbia's phones--they sound nicer than Fordham and Brooklyn's. That was tangential, I know, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Anyway, I'm super rooting for you.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:26 am

Lets look at the bright side. The deposit deadline is May 1 which is a Sunday so the ABSOLUTE latest they can notify an applicant is Friday April 29 which is only in 39 days.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:29 am

Confused7 wrote:

Guess not...I'll give it until mid-April and then withdraw. Too bad, would have liked to stay in NYC.

Unfortunately I'll have to do the same. I need to find housing wherever I'm gonna be, and I'm guessing that'll take at least a couple of weeks (I probably should start looking even sooner than that, but I'm still holding out for my two super reaches).

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:29 am

BrightLine wrote:Lets look at the bright side. The deposit deadline is May 1 which is a Sunday so the ABSOLUTE latest they can notify an applicant is Friday April 29 which is only in 39 days.

Hahaha that would be so cruel to tell someone two days before the deposit deadline! My guess is that it has to come earlier. But I might have a scholarship deadline during the first week of April, and I let them know that a couple weeks ago. So hopefully they get back to me this week or next because if I get the other scholly I'll have to withdraw anyway. :shock:

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am

law_monkey wrote:
BrightLine wrote:Lets look at the bright side. The deposit deadline is May 1 which is a Sunday so the ABSOLUTE latest they can notify an applicant is Friday April 29 which is only in 39 days.

Hahaha that would be so cruel to tell someone two days before the deposit deadline! My guess is that it has to come earlier. But I might have a scholarship deadline during the first week of April, and I let them know that a couple weeks ago. So hopefully they get back to me this week or next because if I get the other scholly I'll have to withdraw anyway. :shock:

I don't really take the deposit deadline to mean anything... if they accept you too late for the deposit deadline they'll just extend it for you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”