Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
T6Hopeful

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:05 am

padthai wrote:It would have to only be for RD, right? ED people are guaranteed a decision by the end of December and a lot of fall grades don't get released til after.

Well, not necessarily. I believe I've heard of ED candidates who will get a fall grades request, and I think given the option to remain considered early decision at that point. So kind of like "if you want we'll still bound you to the contract but we'll still give you a boost." I remember talking to someone from my school who ED'd a few years ago saying he was called and asked to explain a D he got. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I wonder if he meant that the admissions readers called him, or just the admissions staff asking him to submit an addendum. The first seems very intimidating. :shock:

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:16 am

Nola wrote:I am ready for next week. Bring on the decisions Columbia. Has anybody who has gotten in had their status change on the status checker before hand?

Status checkers don't change after you go complete (if I recall correctly).

canuck

Postby canuck » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Does anyone know if you can take classes in the business school at Columbia that count towards your JD? Thanks

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Does anyone else find this profile disconcerting?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/trc332/jd

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:36 pm

shanemahsa wrote:Does anyone else find this profile disconcerting?

...how so?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:38 pm

eskimo wrote:

...how so?

Someone who gets rejected at Columbia ED got into NYU, Chicago, and got $$$ at Penn and UVA.

holborn

Postby holborn » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:40 pm

canuck wrote:Does anyone know if you can take classes in the business school at Columbia that count towards your JD? Thanks

hi, columbia 1L. yes you can and they recently launched a new joint 3 year JD/MBA program starting next year. Due to that I think theyre adding a few classes that will be mixed law/business (both in terms of approach and students). And if none of that appeals to you, theres a certain number of credits you can take that count towards your JD from other columbia schools. you probably have to get approval/forms/etc for that though.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Hannibal wrote:
eskimo wrote:

...how so?

Someone who gets rejected at Columbia ED got into NYU, Chicago, and got $$$ at Penn and UVA.

He didn't get rejected, he got deferred and withdrew (which was a good call IMO based on the other great offers he had.) Further, he said of his deferral "oh well kind of saw it coming" so he probably messed up something in his Columbia application. I don't see any reason to be disconcerted. Guy had a great cycle.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Hannibal wrote:
eskimo wrote:

...how so?

This. I'm surprised he got deferred at all... Also, With my LSATs averaged, i'm like at the same index :shock:

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:43 pm

eskimo wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
eskimo wrote:

...how so?

He didn't get rejected, he got deferred and withdrew (which was a good call IMO based on the other great offers he had.) Further, he said of his deferral "oh well kind of saw it coming" so he probably messed up something in his Columbia application. I don't see any reason to be disconcerted. Guy had a great cycle.

A deferral is pretty much a soft rejection.

Edit: Isn't it?

canuck

Postby canuck » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:45 pm

holborn wrote:
canuck wrote:Does anyone know if you can take classes in the business school at Columbia that count towards your JD? Thanks

hi, columbia 1L. yes you can and they recently launched a new joint 3 year JD/MBA program starting next year. Due to that I think theyre adding a few classes that will be mixed law/business (both in terms of approach and students). And if none of that appeals to you, theres a certain number of credits you can take that count towards your JD from other columbia schools. you probably have to get approval/forms/etc for that though.

Thanks! Do you know when the latest time is that one can can enter that 3 year JD/MBA program? Can you apply for the MBA portion in your 1L year, or do you need to be in it from the get-go?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Even if it's a "soft rejection" he did say he saw it coming, so unless you guys want to PM him and ask what happened, there's no reason to freak out about it.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:53 pm

eskimo wrote:Even if it's a "soft rejection" he did say he saw it coming, so unless you guys want to PM him and ask what happened, there's no reason to freak out about it.

I PMed him :)

I really hope this all becomes irrelevant on tuesday :D

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Yea this guys profile scares me too, regardless of him "expecting" rejection - at a 4.357 he's got almost the exact same index as me. He might have said he "expected rejection" simply because he thinks he has bad luck or because he perceived law school acceptances as relatively random.

Hopefully (and this is absolutely awful to say) he had some kind of academic misconduct or something or put together a poor essay. I mean I wish he had gotten in and whatnot but it'd make me feel a bit better. Personally I'd be fairly disappointed with his cycle (though I would've probably gone with NYU).

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:41 pm

canuck wrote:
holborn wrote:

Thanks! Do you know when the latest time is that one can can enter that 3 year JD/MBA program? Can you apply for the MBA portion in your 1L year, or do you need to be in it from the get-go?

I asked Columbia about this. They are letting 1Ls apply this year because the program is brand new and wasn't offered when they applied. They couldn't guarantee anything about whether 1Ls will be allowed to do so next year (most other schools who have this -- Penn and Northwestern -- won't let you do this).

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:47 pm

bdubs wrote:
canuck wrote:
holborn wrote:

I asked Columbia about this. They are letting 1Ls apply this year because the program is brand new and wasn't offered when they applied. They couldn't guarantee anything about whether 1Ls will be allowed to do so next year (most other schools who have this -- Penn and Northwestern -- won't let you do this).

I wouldn't say most. Those could be an exception since their MBA is rated higher than their law schools. I know NYU lets you apply even into your 2L year.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:59 pm

shanemahsa wrote:I wouldn't say most. Those could be an exception since their MBA is rated higher than their law schools. I know NYU lets you apply even into your 2L year.

NYU is 4 years. There are a very limited number of 3 year JD/MBA programs. Columbia also offers a 4 year JD/MBA and you can definitely apply for that during your 1L year.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:23 pm

bdubs wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:I wouldn't say most. Those could be an exception since their MBA is rated higher than their law schools. I know NYU lets you apply even into your 2L year.

NYU is 4 years. There are a very limited number of 3 year JD/MBA programs. Columbia also offers a 4 year JD/MBA and you can definitely apply for that during your 1L year.

Ohhhhhh. RC/knowledge fail :oops:

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Any predictions about the next wave of ED acceptances this week? M? Tu? W? Th?
My money is on Tuesday, although I would love for it to be tomorrow.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:38 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Any predictions about the next wave of ED acceptances this week? M? Tu? W? Th?
My money is on Tuesday, although I would love for it to be tomorrow.

I feel the same way. Seems like they usually come out tuesday or later. Hopefully they have like a wave of acceptances tues-fri :)

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:31 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:

Yea this guys profile scares me too, regardless of him "expecting" rejection - at a 4.357 he's got almost the exact same index as me. He might have said he "expected rejection" simply because he thinks he has bad luck or because he perceived law school acceptances as relatively random.

Hopefully (and this is absolutely awful to say) he had some kind of academic misconduct or something or put together a poor essay. I mean I wish he had gotten in and whatnot but it'd make me feel a bit better. Personally I'd be fairly disappointed with his cycle (though I would've probably gone with NYU).

I feel like some sort of misconduct would be the only possible explanation. You don't write a poor essay applying ED unless you are an idiot and he obviously isn't/wasn't.

vertex

Postby vertex » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Tomorrow's the big day, everyone. Hold on to your hats!!

canuck

Postby canuck » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:54 pm

bdubs wrote:
canuck wrote:
holborn wrote:

Ah I see. Maybe I'll call at the beginning of the summer and check. Might be worth having a go at the GMAT. That said, I'm not sure my math will be strong enough to do well in my MBA classes, even if I pull off the GMAT.

My main interest in the business school is some very interesting looking courses for sports management.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:22 pm

vertex wrote:Tomorrow's the big day, everyone. Hold on to your hats!!

LoL! You've been saying that a lot...you're bound to be right at least once, right? haha

Apollue

Postby Apollue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:59 pm

obrienfa wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:

I feel like some sort of misconduct would be the only possible explanation. You don't write a poor essay applying ED unless you are an idiot and he obviously isn't/wasn't.

And how would academic misconduct prevent him from being admitted at Columbia when he's getting money at other T10 schools?
I think you guys place -far- too much importance on your index. Honestly, adcoms aren't just looking at your index and tossing your app in a pile, and effort doesn't just miraculously produce strong essays. Sometimes, laboring over an essay for dozens of hours just doesn't yield an essay that you're very proud of. Maybe he didn't think his personal statement was tailored towards Columbia strongly enough.
We never read his application. We have two numbers to work with. If you find those numbers disconcerting, you're misunderstanding the point of a 'holistic' approach.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”