law_monkey wrote:Lem37 wrote:Hey-O wrote:Lem37 wrote:
FYI, the people who you plan to call can't legally give you your decision over the phone, and likewise probably can't give you a timeline.
I don't know if this is true. I got my decision from Stanford over the phone (I called them and it wasn't an acceptance), because they'd mailed my letter to the wrong address.
Regardless, that seems like extremely exceptional circumstances - rather than "legally," what I meant to say is that most law schools, including Columbia, have a policy whereby the Admissions/Registrar can't release decisions over the phone (barring, of course, the congratulatory calls that come from Penn, etc.).
My advice: sit tight. Relax. Don't make travel plans - "Mondays" and ASW aren't for a few weeks anyway, so there's no need to finalize arrangements yet. The reason why CLS has two ASWs is so that the people they accept in their later waves can come to the second one in April.
Which is fine except that the longer you wait on plane tickets, the more they go up. And some people have scheduling issues/other reasons for wanting to do their visits at a certain time. I'm not saying the adcomms need to cater to our traveling needs, just that there are legitimate reasons other than impatience that people want an answer soon.
If you call Admissions and discuss these traveling needs, then what Admissions is going to tell you is that you're free to visit the school and sit in on a class on your own time - just not at ASW. This isn't a bad idea if you're actually worried about plane prices, because you'll be able to see a lot of the campus and meet professors and students. Plenty of people visit year-round.
But think of it this way: 9,000 people applied to CLS last year - they ultimately only accepted around 1,000, and several hundred of those were accepted in later waves. If Admissions made an exception for every applicant who called and complained of plane prices and travel plans, then they'd be hard pressed to make allowances for the several-thousand other applicants who would soon be calling with their own exceptional circumstances.
I'm not trying to be callous. I was in your exact position two years ago - in fact, I didn't hear from NYU until March. I'm just trying to remind you that there are literally thousands of other people waiting for decisions from CLS. Realistically, calling isn't going to help you at all. If you're that worried about travel costs, then schedule your own visit and ask some current students to host you.