Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahlawg

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:36 pm

law_monkey wrote:
subtle wrote:
melamine wrote:before everyone starts freaking out... it's not their job to make decisions in such a way as to make their applicants happy. they have their system, and they'll make their decisions - they have a lot of sh** to deal with, and its unreasonable to expect their schedule to conform with what's going to make people happy.

I, for one, understand that. That said, it doesn't make it any less frustrating. I don't know about you, but I come here to vent with other people about how this whole process is driving me slightly batty.

It's not that people feel wronged in any way either. We're just confused because they seemed to place people on hold if they didn't have a decision for them yet, so we're surprised by the fact that there seems to be an unofficial hold. Status checkers add a little transparency to the process, and they at least help determine where you are in the process.

I did find a couple of people on LSN from last year who did not get their hold until March even though they applied in the fall.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:37 pm

law_monkey wrote:It's not that people feel wronged in any way either. We're just confused because they seemed to place people on hold if they didn't have a decision for them yet, so we're surprised by the fact that there seems to be an unofficial hold. Status checkers add a little transparency to the process, and they at least help determine where you are in the process.

They also add that exotic feel of going to school in the 21st century.

I think everyone's perfectly justified in being pissed off, unless they got a fee waiver. I paid like... 80 dollars or something for the honor of being put through this process.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Rejected today, letter dated 02/01/11. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:51 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Rejected today, letter dated 02/01/11. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Sorry to hear that. But if it's any consolation, your 'tar is $$$$$. One of the best albums I have ever heard.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:55 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
subtle wrote:
melamine wrote:before everyone starts freaking out... it's not their job to make decisions in such a way as to make their applicants happy. they have their system, and they'll make their decisions - they have a lot of sh** to deal with, and its unreasonable to expect their schedule to conform with what's going to make people happy.

I, for one, understand that. That said, it doesn't make it any less frustrating. I don't know about you, but I come here to vent with other people about how this whole process is driving me slightly batty.

It's not that people feel wronged in any way either. We're just confused because they seemed to place people on hold if they didn't have a decision for them yet, so we're surprised by the fact that there seems to be an unofficial hold. Status checkers add a little transparency to the process, and they at least help determine where you are in the process.

I did find a couple of people on LSN from last year who did not get their hold until March even though they applied in the fall.

If that's what happens to me I definitely won't be attending CLS just because I won't be at any of their ASWs or doing a campus visits before deposits. Not that that would offend them because obviously they're offering acceptances to the people they want, but the longer this is prolonged the less time I'll have to figure out a visit in the event that I would get accepted.

Ctgrapefruit

Postby Ctgrapefruit » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:02 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
subtle wrote:

Did those people wait it out?

7ED

Postby 7ED » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm

I am going to shoot them off a gentle e-mail inquiring about financial aid for students who havn't heard back yet (getting some aid is essential for me). Hopefully I might also be able to glean something about my admissions status.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:36 pm

7ED wrote:I am going to shoot them off a gentle e-mail inquiring about financial aid for students who havn't heard back yet (getting some aid is essential for me). Hopefully I might also be able to glean something about my admissions status.

Already did this around 4:55 PM today. It was too late by the time I thought of it. We'll know tomorrow I guess.

lshamlet

Postby lshamlet » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 pm

No offense but you guys really love to overcomplicate this as much as possible. I don't quite understand why people are freaking out to know that CLS simply hasn't made a decision on some applicants. Did you all really expect them to have a decision for every applicant come Feb? Why overanalyze it?

Ctgrapefruit

Postby Ctgrapefruit » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:44 pm

lshamlet wrote:No offense but you guys really love to overcomplicate this as much as possible. I don't quite understand why people are freaking out to know that CLS simply hasn't made a decision on some applicants. Did you all really expect them to have a decision for every applicant come Feb? Why overanalyze it?

I am so offended :x jk :D

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:54 pm

lshamlet wrote:No offense but you guys really love to overcomplicate this as much as possible. I don't quite understand why people are freaking out to know that CLS simply hasn't made a decision on some applicants. Did you all really expect them to have a decision for every applicant come Feb? Why overanalyze it?

shut up you're messing up my computational error calculations

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:05 pm

They are considerably slower than comparable schools that's why. The lack of transparency is what is making people insane. It's all relative.

lshamlet

Postby lshamlet » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:

They are considerably slower than comparable schools that's why. The lack of transparency is what is making people insane. It's all relative.

That's still not an excuse, I can understand being upset or worried that a school hasn't accepted you after people have begun to be accepted. That's fine, we all care. But a lot of people, especially in this thread, give off a really neurotic vibe, and I can just imagine them sitting there wringing their hands about "batches" and "waves" and "the forgotten" and "vomit-colored envelopes."

Just seems like a lot of people can't divorce themselves from the process and take it way too personally.
Last edited by lshamlet on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7ED

!

Postby 7ED » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:11 pm

Your heresy will not go unpunished. Idolaters be damned!

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:11 pm

lshamlet wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:

That's still not an excuse, I can understand being upset or worried that a school hasn't accepted you after people have begun to be accepted. That's fine, we all care. But a lot of people, especially in this thread, give off a really neurotic vibe, and I can just imagine them sitting there wringing their hands about "batches" and "waves" and "the forgotten" and "vomit-colored envelopes."

Just seems like a lot of people can't divorce themselves from the process and take it way too personally.

I mean I hear you. Look at my username and you'll know how I feel about it at this point. I always say everyone in awhile TLS makes me scared of what Law school will be like.

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 pm

lshamlet wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:

neuroticism is hot. :P

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:48 pm

lshamlet wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:

In the words of Michael Scott, "Business is always personal. It's the most personal thing in the world."

I don't think any of us "take it personally" when a law school chooses not to accept us. But if our neuroticism can help us through the stressful and overall crappy process that is applying to law school--I'm all for it. It's harder for some of us to take the non-chalant attitude you seem to be advancing--and yes, this might be a personality flaw of ours.

But, to quote Kesha this time, "We R who we R"

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Hey guys, I got the email confirming my acceptance today, still no VCE though.

Submitted 11/18, fall grades request mid-January.

WHOOO HOO!!

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Weirdlog wrote:
But, to quote Kesha this time, "We R who we R"

Excuse me, should be: "Ke$ha."

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:52 pm

Weirdlog wrote:I don't think any of us "take it personally" when a law school chooses not to accept us.

So.. on a scale of 1-10, how bad is it if I do? :oops: lol

Note: only if I'm over both medians. Lookin at you, CLS.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Ctgrapefruit wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
subtle wrote:

Did those people wait it out?

They were also given the 4/20something response date and were waitlisted like everyone else (well, most people).

jerrymander

Postby jerrymander » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:06 pm

VCE today on West Coast, submitted 1/7, complete 1/20, postmarked 2/3. Index 4.4.

Good luck everyone!

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:12 pm

RJ127 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:Rejected today, letter dated 02/01/11. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Sorry to hear that. But if it's any consolation, your 'tar is $$$$$. One of the best albums I have ever heard.

Ha, its all good. I expected it.

But yah, DOOM is most definitely in the T6 of hip-hop. (Wow, I feel like a nerd for saying that)

smscat

Postby smscat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Finally submitted my app!

Q: My LSAC Report has my transcript from last semester. Columbia was a last minute app because they just gave me a fee waiver. If I update my transcript, do I send it to them directly at this point or LSAC? Is it worth it? My GPA only went up .01, but I don't want them to think I'm not taking classes or something this semester.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 pm

If I'm not mistaken, 1) They normally do have a pretty good record of deciding about most of the strong/weak candidates at least, so this "hold for people who would normally get in" business and "forgotten-about super-strong applicants" category are both sort of weird, and 2) TLS is based on overanalyzing everything (cf. my data-mining posts on 170+ scorers, YLS and SLS decision dates, etc.).

I don't know if someone has hypothesized this yet in nearly 300 pages of thread, but I'm starting to wonder if snow delays have affected not just snail mail but decision rate. That is, CLS admissions people may have been slowed by being snowed out and may not have gotten to all of the apps that they normally get to. Yale is a good 1-2 weeks behind schedule, as far as I can tell, so why not CLS, too? That might be the reason for the extended waves of admits.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”