Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
incompetentia

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby incompetentia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:11 pm

jman77 wrote:
easternstandardtime1 wrote:
jman77 wrote:Yup, looks like the e-mail went out to all applicants admitted so far.

Does this include the 2/2 postmark batch??

Not sure. I was part of the 1/24 batch. Anyone from later dates get the same e-mail?

Just to point out, this is exactly 14 days after 1/24. It sounds like they may be waiting 2 weeks and following up with an email as a reminder/backstop in case the letter did not arrive.

EDIT: Fuck
Last edited by incompetentia on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:12 pm

jman77 wrote:Not sure. I was part of the 1/24 batch. Anyone from later dates get the same e-mail?

I got it, I was a 1/31 postmark.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:15 pm

*Gets angry for the first time*

glitched

Postby glitched » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:16 pm

Casey2889 wrote:hey guys some good news from those who haven't been admitted yet via VCE. i got the following e-mail today:

Hello XXXXX,

We hope this email finds you well and congratulations (once again) on your acceptance to Columbia Law School. Our students are excited about the prospect of having you join them at Columbia next fall and are eager to share their experiences with you, as well as answer any questions you might have. We wanted to let you know that one of our current students (or other members of the Columbia community) may be giving you a call in the next few weeks, so if you receive a call from an unfamiliar area code, answer it - it may be your future classmate!

We look forward to seeing you on our campus soon.

Warm wishes,

The Admissions Team

Columbia Law School

i actually go to Columbia UG and it looks like the snow delayed my mail from, uh, crossing amsterdam avenue. so for those of you who might be further away, good news could be on the way!

so let me get this straight, you didn't get an acceptance in the mail yet but you received this email?
Last edited by glitched on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dot

Postby dot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:18 pm

glitched wrote:
Casey2889 wrote:hey guys some good news from those who haven't been admitted yet via VCE. i got the following e-mail today:

Hello XXXXX,

We hope this email finds you well and congratulations (once again) on your acceptance to Columbia Law School. Our students are excited about the prospect of having you join them at Columbia next fall and are eager to share their experiences with you, as well as answer any questions you might have. We wanted to let you know that one of our current students (or other members of the Columbia community) may be giving you a call in the next few weeks, so if you receive a call from an unfamiliar area code, answer it - it may be your future classmate!

Warm wishes,

The Admissions Team

Columbia Law School

i actually go to Columbia UG and it looks like the snow delayed my mail from, uh, crossing amsterdam avenue. so for those of you who might be further away, good news could be on the way!

so let me get this straight, you didn't get an acceptance in the mail yet but you received this letter email?

easternstandardtime1

Postby easternstandardtime1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Did any person admitted with a 2/2 postmark get the follow-up acceptance e-mail?

Edit: or NOT get the e-mail?
Last edited by easternstandardtime1 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casey2889

Postby Casey2889 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:27 pm

dot wrote:
glitched wrote:

Hello XXXXX,

Warm wishes,

The Admissions Team

Columbia Law School

so let me get this straight, you didn't get an acceptance in the mail yet but you received this letter email?

yeah, but the mail staff at my school is notoriously overwhelmed and everything from birthday cards to netflix dvds are always several days late, sometimes 7-10 days during peak weeks at beginnings of semesters. we also don't get mail saturdays.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Casey2889 wrote:

yeah, but the mail staff at my school is notoriously overwhelmed and everything from birthday cards to netflix dvds are always several days late, sometimes 7-10 days during peak weeks at beginnings of semesters. we also don't get mail saturdays.[/quote]
Any idea when your acceptance date would've been?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:44 pm

No email, no VCE or rejection today. Looks like I'm definitely not part of the 2/2 group.

Casey2889

Postby Casey2889 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Casey2889 wrote:

yeah, but the mail staff at my school is notoriously overwhelmed and everything from birthday cards to netflix dvds are always several days late, sometimes 7-10 days during peak weeks at beginnings of semesters. we also don't get mail saturdays.

Any idea when your acceptance date would've been?[/quote]

no, but i'll post back once i actually get it....are scholarship offers enclosed in the VCE btw or do you have to subsequently ask to apply?

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:50 pm

incompetentia wrote:No email, no VCE or rejection today. Looks like I'm definitely not part of the 2/2 group.

According to the international applicant two pages ago, there is apparently now a 2/7 group as well.

Melo15

Postby Melo15 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:50 pm

easternstandardtime1 wrote:Did any person admitted with a 2/2 postmark get the follow-up acceptance e-mail?

Edit: or NOT get the e-mail?

I had a 2/2 letter, but didn't get an email.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:55 pm

incompetentia wrote:No email, no VCE or rejection today. Looks like I'm definitely not part of the 2/2 group.

Me neither. Soooo we now know that either a) we have a rejection in the mail, b) a 2/7 batch was sent out today in addition to the international emails so they should start showing up in mailboxes tomorrow, c) there's going to be an even later acceptance batch , d) there's a possibility of more holds/WLs going out, or e) we are non-decisions like Castlerock. I feel so informed.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:56 pm

law_monkey wrote:

Me neither. Soooo we now know that either a) we have a rejection in the mail, b) a 2/7 batch was sent out today in addition to the international emails so they should start showing up in mailboxes tomorrow, c) there's going to be an even later acceptance batch , d) there's a possibility of more holds/WLs going out, or e) we are non-decisions like Castlerock. I feel so UNinformed.

FTFY and everyone else.

melamine

Postby melamine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:02 pm

just to note - someone has posted a VCE (acceptance) with a completion date of 1/19. on LSN.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:05 pm

And with fairly average numbers (for CU). Sigh...

melamine

Postby melamine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:06 pm

law_monkey wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
Fresh wrote:
CastleRock wrote:Ok guys, so some interesting news to report on my front.

For those of you who don't know my situation, I am in the forgotten group, my application was submitted in december, and both my numbers are above the 75th percentile. I was just able to confirm that no decision has been rendered on my file. Meaning no VCE or rejection has been mailed to me, no hold or waitlist, just nothing.

I don't know what the fuck to think and I am ready to cry.

Did u call?

yep

ARE YOU SERIOUS??? So that means that some of the forgotten (maybe not all of us, but I'm sure it's not just you) literally don't have decisions yet? I wonder why they didn't just hold you then? :(

before everyone starts freaking out... it's not their job to make decisions in such a way as to make their applicants happy. they have their system, and they'll make their decisions - they have a lot of sh** to deal with, and its unreasonable to expect their schedule to conform with what's going to make people happy. nobody's been wronged - they haven't committed some egregious crime. if you're even applying to Columbia, chances are you're going to end up at a great school anyway.
Last edited by melamine on Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:08 pm

melamine wrote:before everyone starts freaking out... it's not their job to make decisions in such a way as to make their applicants happy. they have their system, and they'll make their decisions - they have a lot of sh** to deal with, and its unreasonable to expect their schedule to conform with what's going to make people happy.

I, for one, understand that. That said, it doesn't make it any less frustrating. I don't know about you, but I come here to vent with other people about how this whole process is driving me slightly batty.

melamine

Postby melamine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:10 pm

subtle wrote:
melamine wrote:before everyone starts freaking out... it's not their job to make decisions in such a way as to make their applicants happy. they have their system, and they'll make their decisions - they have a lot of sh** to deal with, and its unreasonable to expect their schedule to conform with what's going to make people happy.

I, for one, understand that. That said, it doesn't make it any less frustrating. I don't know about you, but I come here to vent with other people about how this whole process is driving me slightly batty.

haha - no i understand that too. it's just starting to feel like people think that they're being wronged or that columbia's committed some horrible crime, or that its all so unfair. i don't mind venting - just it can get to be a bit much.

Ctgrapefruit

Postby Ctgrapefruit » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Last edited by Ctgrapefruit on Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Ctgrapefruit wrote:
subtle wrote:

True that. I don't even want them to make me happy. I just want them to make sense.

I think Columbia would drive me less crazy if they had a status checker that updated. Like, for Penn, you most likely won't get a decision before you have at least 2 status updates. That I can handle. I'm irritated waiting for the status updates, but at least I know that I don't have to freak out on Fridays yet.

Columbia's insistence on mailing decisions and not telling you when they're coming has me stalking my mail lady. She a) thinks I'm crazy, b) sympathizes and c) has started telling me that there's no news.

dot

Postby dot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:19 pm

melamine wrote:just to note - someone has posted a VCE (acceptance) with a completion date of 1/19. on LSN.

Someone other than me?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:19 pm

an admitted students follow up threademail, eh? and the plot thickens
Last edited by sarahlawg on Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melamine

Postby melamine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:23 pm

dot wrote:
melamine wrote:just to note - someone has posted a VCE (acceptance) with a completion date of 1/19. on LSN.

Someone other than me?

naah its you - sorry i didn't see your post until after i posted, lol.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:28 pm

subtle wrote:

It's not that people feel wronged in any way either. We're just confused because they seemed to place people on hold if they didn't have a decision for them yet, so we're surprised by the fact that there seems to be an unofficial hold. Status checkers add a little transparency to the process, and they at least help determine where you are in the process.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”