Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ashleyryan

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ashleyryan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:03 am

when did some of you guys submit and hear back?

i applied mid jan. i know i won't be hearing anything soon, but this waiting game makes me anxious !

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:15 am

ashleyryan wrote:when did some of you guys submit and hear back?

i applied mid jan. i know i won't be hearing anything soon, but this waiting game makes me anxious !

IIRC, there was someone who submitted in mid-January (maybe early) and heard something back already. I'd check LSN.

dot

Postby dot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:27 am

ahduth wrote:

IIRC, there was someone who submitted in mid-January (maybe early) and heard something back already. I'd check LSN.

I think it was an early-Jan submit, mid-Jan complete

melamine

Postby melamine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:07 am

dot wrote:
ahduth wrote:

He went complete on the 18th, if i remember correctly. Latest completion date with decision from what i can see.

champsound

Postby champsound » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 am

melamine wrote:
dot wrote:
ahduth wrote:

He went complete on the 18th, if i remember correctly. Latest completion date with decision from what i can see.

Hmm, if that is true. Then I should hear something soon with my completion date of 1/20.

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Eponymous wrote:A thought...

I would be extremely interested to know what the gender breakdown is for applicants in various "non-forgotten" categories, to date (i.e., accepted/rejected/waitlisted/held).

It stands to reason that gender relates to "diversity," surely -- logically, male-vs-female may more truly represent "diversity" than does melanin/not so much melanin. (Not commenting on AA, just pointing out that which is so taken for granted that we may have overlooked it -- that is, gender-as-diversity.)

Related to this question (but not sole motivation for the question) is my haphazard and non-scientific observation that females may be over-represented in this forum. (Not commenting on male/female differences here, or on nature versus nurture, per se, just relating a moderately wild-assed guess.)

If it were discovered that there is/are serious gender trend[s] is the various decision/non-decision groups, that would be of interest -- at least of a significance on par with the trends that may be seen RWT submission and appl-complete dates.

Just sayin' ... (Well, askin', anyway...)

I think TLS is fairly even, gender-wise. If it feels to you like women are a majority, it is probably because most forums on the web are so male-dominated (in terms of contributors/posters, not people viewing the site). So by comparison, it might seem like they're overrepresented, when in reality TLS is one of the few sites where women are more accurately represented. See for instance:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/01/31/133375307/facing-serious-gender-gap-wikipedia-vows-to-add-more-women-contributors

Anyway, I'm sure schools try to avoid 70/30 type distributions of gender, but I don't think anything is really that skewed one way or the other, in terms of either student bodies or applicant pools; so 95% of the time, I don't think schools even think about applicants' gender. Every phase in the process has seemed close to 50/50 to me; when I took my LSAT there were similar numbers of men/women, same with my prep course, same with law school forums, facebook groups, etc.

Also, you love punctuation hehe.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Where are my other forgotten friends? Nothing against the January completes, but some of us have been waiting FOREVER!!! I feel like we would've been in the first batch of ding letters if we're getting one (not necessarily, but it seems likely to me), so if we can just survive another couple mailbox checks - and hopefully find a VCE instead! Good luck forgotten!!!

Postby 4102011 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:11 pm

law_monkey wrote:Where are my other forgotten friends? Nothing against the January completes, but some of us have been waiting FOREVER!!! I feel like we would've been in the first batch of ding letters if we're getting one (not necessarily, but it seems likely to me), so if we can just survive another couple mailbox checks - and hopefully find a VCE instead! Good luck forgotten!!!

<3

TrustMeI'mAnActress

Postby TrustMeI'mAnActress » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:13 pm

dulcatis wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Where are my other forgotten friends? Nothing against the January completes, but some of us have been waiting FOREVER!!! I feel like we would've been in the first batch of ding letters if we're getting one (not necessarily, but it seems likely to me), so if we can just survive another couple mailbox checks - and hopefully find a VCE instead! Good luck forgotten!!!

<3

+1 <3

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:17 pm

TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

<3

+1 <3

+<3

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:19 pm

Any numbers patterns in terms of us forgotten peoples? I'd assume that we're just waiting for VCEs to show up at this point and that we're not a group that's being held even longer, but...

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Just checked my mail....nothing but a Times magazine. The wait continues....

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:50 pm

mel2010 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

<3

+1 <3

+<3

mememe <3

Postby 4102011 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

incompetentia wrote:Any numbers patterns in terms of us forgotten peoples? I'd assume that we're just waiting for VCEs to show up at this point and that we're not a group that's being held even longer, but...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CJjV7YMP

Was the spreadsheet. But some people have gotten news since then and I didn't add them all. If people remember decisions you don't see on there, PM me and I'll add them.

For non-held, non-decision people who haven't yet, here's the form if you want to be added:

--LinkRemoved--

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:03 pm

mel2010 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

<3

+1 <3

+<3

GraniteState

Postby GraniteState » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:04 pm

It won't let the quote thing continue, but +1 early applicant still forgotten.

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:

Checked my mail- got big plastic package with now label other than weird area code- got really excited for CLS!!!- opened to see... .Penn Law package... not even Penn scholly info... not happy.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:

Checked my mail- got big plastic package with now label other than weird area code- got really excited for CLS!!!- opened to see... .Penn Law package... not even Penn scholly info... not happy.

But I thought you were already set on Stanford.

melamine

Postby melamine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:Checked my mail- got big plastic package with now label other than weird area code- got really excited for CLS!!!- opened to see... .Penn Law package... not even Penn scholly info... not happy.

which brings up a good question. i heard that withdrawing from a school once accepted doesn't increase the chances of admission for people who are on the waitlist. but i take it that withdrawing from a school before they send you an acceptance does increase the chances of admission for all other lower-evaluated applicants. yes? lol.

champsound

Postby champsound » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:

http://whitewhine.tumblr.com/

melamine

Postby melamine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:24 pm

champsound wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:

http://whitewhine.tumblr.com/

they spelled "wine" wrong. it should be white wine.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Amazing.

texaskk

Postby texaskk » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:28 pm

I see the mailman coming down my street.. Crosssing fingers SOOO hard

champsound

Postby champsound » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:

Amazing.

Yeah, looking back, I think this site is the epitome of 98% of what is said on this thread.

texaskk

Postby texaskk » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:31 pm

JK, big white package he was carrying was Penn portfolio. But no rejection letter yet! The forgotten live on

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”