Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dabbadon8

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:52 pm

Got dinged yesterday. Letter dated 2/1. Was surprised since most people with my numbers at least got a WL. Doesn't matter much since the two are functionally equivalent. I got my hopes up with not being held or waitlisted but I really shouldn't of. Anyways, I am glad not to have to think about it anymore.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:54 pm

melamine wrote:hey - look. speculation that HAPPENS to apply to someone's application is totally fair game - otherwise 99% of this thread's discussions should be eliminated. you certainly think its fair game - i.e., the "Columbia must be irrational" discussion for 30+ pages. i certainly didn't take any of that personally. given that his points are actually relevant (i.e., not about avatars or inane chatter) i'm finding it a lot more interesting to read - even if i might disagree with some of it.

I would never take anything personal, I am just responding because it turned out to be directed at me. His points may not be relevant - that's what I am arguing, so don't put the wagon before the horse. Glad the discussion is interesting, I will keep it up.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Knock wrote:
jrose5 wrote:Not that I think I can end this huge debate, but as my brother likes to chide me when he sees me on these forums: you've already turned in your applications, no amount of speculation about how law schools XYZ will view your application will really influence their ultimate decision... So maybe it's time to take a step back and wait patiently.

If you speculate really, REALLY hard, it will come true though.

I already said I probably wouldn't attend before any decision was handed out ... so it's not like I am bitter or something. I genuinely disagree with plurilingue's statements. And now the flip-floping.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:59 pm

jrose5 wrote:Not that I think I can end this huge debate, but as my brother likes to chide me when he sees me on these forums: you've already turned in your applications, no amount of speculation about how law schools XYZ will view your application will really influence their ultimate decision... So maybe it's time to take a step back and wait patiently.

Haha so true. Everyone I know IRL yells at me every time they catch me on the forum. They think all the speculation talk just makes the whole thing worse and that I'm going crazy! I probably am, but it still makes me feel like I have more control over the situation when I try and guess what's happening. And I love the company. :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:01 pm

law_monkey wrote:

Haha so true. Everyone I know IRL yells at me every time they catch me on the forum. They think all the speculation talk just makes the whole thing worse and that I'm going crazy! I probably am, but it still makes me feel like I have more control over the situation when I try and guess what's happening. And I love the company. :D

Also, what better things can a bunch of college seniors itching to graduate do? Seriously?

melamine

Postby melamine » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Also, what better things can a bunch of college seniors itching to graduate do? Seriously?

um, according to their law school personal statements, they can SAVE THE WORLD!!!!!!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Truth. Hours of homework I've done so far this semester: Maybe three (that's probably being generous). Hours of TLSing: it's best not to go there. :oops: And melamine how did you guess what my statement was about???

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:08 pm

melamine wrote:um, according to their law school personal statements, they can SAVE THE WORLD!!!!!!

Maybe eventually, but right now they are stuck taking electives.

BTW if everyone's PS say they can save the world then mine really is lacking :oops:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:09 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Got dinged yesterday. Letter dated 2/1. Was surprised since most people with my numbers at least got a WL. Doesn't matter much since the two are functionally equivalent. I got my hopes up with not being held or waitlisted but I really shouldn't of. Anyways, I am glad not to have to think about it anymore.

Sorry :( Michigan for you?

melamine

Postby melamine » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
melamine wrote:um, according to their law school personal statements, they can SAVE THE WORLD!!!!!!

Maybe eventually, but right now they are stuck taking electives.

BTW if everyone's PS say they can save the world then mine really is lacking :oops:

i bet a few years from now when i've gotten my JD, it will be really hilarious and awkward to go back and read through my personal statement. *sigh*.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:Got dinged yesterday. Letter dated 2/1. Was surprised since most people with my numbers at least got a WL. Doesn't matter much since the two are functionally equivalent. I got my hopes up with not being held or waitlisted but I really shouldn't of. Anyways, I am glad not to have to think about it anymore.

Sorry :( Michigan for you?

Looks that way. I'm excited for the first ASW. Just did the math and figured it would cost me 80k more to go to columbia that made me feel a little better. Congrats on your cycle btw. I am very jealous of that $ at UVA.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:16 pm

melamine wrote:i bet a few years from now when i've gotten my JD, it will be really hilarious and awkward to go back and read through my personal statement. *sigh*.

Actually that's a good thing because that means you've matured/grown/learned a lot. If your perspective stays the same from mid 20's to mid 30's - that's scary. I am so glad I can look at stuff I wrote in my 20's and laugh, it's a good thing.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:19 pm

Sorry dabbadon. One good thing is that at least you have closure now. Do you mind sharing where you're located?

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:31 pm

law_monkey wrote:

Sorry dabbadon. One good thing is that at least you have closure now. Do you mind sharing where you're located?

So.Fla. The envelope showed up all by itself and before the mail got there that day. I think it may of come the day before and got placed in my neighbors mail by accident and they brought it over. And yeah it is good to have closure. I can go buy some Michigan stuff now.

GraniteState

Postby GraniteState » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:34 pm

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Sorry to hear that, almost-numbers-twin.

GraniteState

Postby GraniteState » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Knock wrote:

If you speculate really, REALLY hard, it will come true though.

This.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:43 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

So.Fla. The envelope showed up all by itself and before the mail got there that day. I think it may of come the day before and got placed in my neighbors mail by accident and they brought it over. And yeah it is good to have closure. I can go buy some Michigan stuff now.

I'm glad you have another school you're really excited about! And I think that's true for most of us in this thread. If the whole Columbia thing doesn't work out we all have some really amazing options.

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:34 pm

sorry dabbadon

Eponymous

Postby Eponymous » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:17 pm

A thought...

I would be extremely interested to know what the gender breakdown is for applicants in various "non-forgotten" categories, to date (i.e., accepted/rejected/waitlisted/held).

It stands to reason that gender relates to "diversity," surely -- logically, male-vs-female may more truly represent "diversity" than does melanin/not so much melanin. (Not commenting on AA, just pointing out that which is so taken for granted that we may have overlooked it -- that is, gender-as-diversity.)

Related to this question (but not sole motivation for the question) is my haphazard and non-scientific observation that females may be over-represented in this forum. (Not commenting on male/female differences here, or on nature versus nurture, per se, just relating a moderately wild-assed guess.)

If it were discovered that there is/are serious gender trend[s] is the various decision/non-decision groups, that would be of interest -- at least of a significance on par with the trends that may be seen RWT submission and appl-complete dates.

Just sayin' ... (Well, askin', anyway...)

justhoping

Postby justhoping » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:44 pm

wow... sorry! time to hide from the mailman!

vertex

Postby vertex » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:54 am

Tomorrow is the last wave of admits! Everyone hold on to your cats!

bendurnotes4me

Postby bendurnotes4me » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:40 am

vertex wrote:Tomorrow is the last wave of admits! Everyone hold on to your cats!

How do we know that? Just based on last year's waves?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:50 am

vertex wrote:Tomorrow is the last wave of admits! Everyone hold on to your cats!

How is that possible? What about people who applied close to the deadline?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:46 am

jrose5 wrote:

How is that possible? What about people who applied close to the deadline?

Pretty sure he's joking and you guys just walked right into it... :mrgreen:

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 am

I'm going to detonate a kitten or two if I don't get a decision letter today. NYU took four days to reach me, so a 2/2 postmark -should- be today...

At this point, the lack of response at all is ridiculously unnerving, especially when it seems like everybody else has gotten at least some sort of confirmation that their application is being looked at.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”