Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby glitched » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:26 pm

chasgoose wrote:
glitched wrote:
chasgoose wrote:Yeah, I'm an LA person who didn't get my 1/28 VCE until 2/2...THERE'S STILL HOPE!


chasgoose. i just read this and it put a smile on my face. :)


Yeah also keep in mind that mail was probably super screwed up by weather... Not only was weather in NYC worse last week than the week before, but weather all over the country was significantly worse


chasgoose. I just read this and it put a frown on my face. :(

cyxdev17
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby cyxdev17 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Got in yesterday in DC area... totally surprised. 170/3.8+. Guess not everything is about numbers, but I wouldn't say I have any amazing softs! (and no W/E). I must've gotten lucky :D

7ED
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby 7ED » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:50 pm

cyxdev17 wrote:Got in yesterday in DC area... totally surprised. 170/3.8+. Guess not everything is about numbers, but I wouldn't say I have any amazing softs! (and no W/E). I must've gotten lucky :D


Postmark?

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby artichoke » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:06 pm

melamine wrote:
artichoke wrote:Ok, I hate to ask this, but as this is my first visit to this particular thread, and as I have not been following along with Columbia, and as I have just spent the last 5 minutes trying to figure this out to no avail... what the hell does VCE stand for? :oops:


vomit-colored-envelope. the color of the envelope an acceptance comes in, apparently.

(or vomit-coloured-envelope, for people who can only read british).


Lol, thanks. I never would have guessed that on my own.

plurilingue
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby plurilingue » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:11 pm

.
Last edited by plurilingue on Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jtemp320 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:14 pm

chasgoose wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:VCE in LA! Postmarked 2/2


Yay LA VCE's! I don't know about you but I am not thrilled about the prospect of leaving...


Yeah I know what you mean - weather etc aside my girlfriend was with me when I got the letter and was doing her best to be excited for me...I could tell it wasn't easy

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jtemp320 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:16 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:VCE in LA! Postmarked 2/2


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CONGRATS, Ron Artest!!!!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FdW9sgWxyo

This what I feel like right now...

cyxdev17
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby cyxdev17 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:00 pm

7ED wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:Got in yesterday in DC area... totally surprised. 170/3.8+. Guess not everything is about numbers, but I wouldn't say I have any amazing softs! (and no W/E). I must've gotten lucky :D


Postmark?


Letter is Feb 2! Not sure about postmark cause it went to my house which I'm not at right now.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby law_monkey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:39 pm

glitched wrote:
chasgoose wrote:
glitched wrote:
chasgoose wrote:Yeah, I'm an LA person who didn't get my 1/28 VCE until 2/2...THERE'S STILL HOPE!


chasgoose. i just read this and it put a smile on my face. :)


Yeah also keep in mind that mail was probably super screwed up by weather... Not only was weather in NYC worse last week than the week before, but weather all over the country was significantly worse


chasgoose. I just read this and it put a frown on my face. :(


So I just got home and was able to inspect my GULC packet more closely. The postmark is 1/31, so it took 6 days to get out here. Let's keep the hope alive glitched!

7ED
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby 7ED » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:45 pm

cyxdev17 wrote:
7ED wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:Got in yesterday in DC area... totally surprised. 170/3.8+. Guess not everything is about numbers, but I wouldn't say I have any amazing softs! (and no W/E). I must've gotten lucky :D


Postmark?


Letter is Feb 2! Not sure about postmark cause it went to my house which I'm not at right now.


Niceeeee Congrats! When did you go complete?

cyxdev17
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby cyxdev17 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:09 pm

.
Last edited by cyxdev17 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyxdev17
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby cyxdev17 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:09 pm

7ED wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:
7ED wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:Got in yesterday in DC area... totally surprised. 170/3.8+. Guess not everything is about numbers, but I wouldn't say I have any amazing softs! (and no W/E). I must've gotten lucky :D


Postmark?


Letter is Feb 2! Not sure about postmark cause it went to my house which I'm not at right now.


Niceeeee Congrats! When did you go complete?


End of Nov; applied at beginning of Nov. Got a fall grades transcript request in the beginning of January (GPA went up a bit and it was the best semester I'd had when you include A+'s)

smscat
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby smscat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:27 pm

I JUST got a fee waiver - idk why they are doing it so late. It's a stretch but I'm going for it. I see people with numbers fairly close to mine getting accepted, but I got rejected from Berkeley. Do you think they have a shortage of applicants or something if they are sending out waivers now?

User avatar
AdamAndSteve
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby AdamAndSteve » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 pm

smscat wrote:I JUST got a fee waiver - idk why they are doing it so late. It's a stretch but I'm going for it. I see people with numbers fairly close to mine getting accepted, but I got rejected from Berkeley. Do you think they have a shortage of applicants or something if they are sending out waivers now?


Michigan did this to me recently, so I just applied for the class of 2015 to stick it to them. That being said, I wouldn't mind that year off...

plurilingue
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby plurilingue » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 pm

.
Last edited by plurilingue on Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smscat
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby smscat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:56 pm

plurilingue wrote:
smscat wrote:I JUST got a fee waiver - idk why they are doing it so late. It's a stretch but I'm going for it. I see people with numbers fairly close to mine getting accepted, but I got rejected from Berkeley. Do you think they have a shortage of applicants or something if they are sending out waivers now?


Frankly, with what r6 said about the decline in LSAT takers and the fact that (seemingly) hundreds of qualified applicants got held, yes. Columbia wants to size up the entire applicant pool before making further admissions offers.

It also looks like most schools have admitted far fewer applicants than at this point in previous cycles. This is partially to be expected since the December result came out quite late, but at the same time I think that there are few as half as many admits (on TLS/ LSN at least) as in previous years. This would suggest that the quality of the applicant pool overall is worse than in recent cycles.

Edit: I will note that I have marginal stats and got held for further review -- not surprising since I went complete in early January. But some candidates who went complete around the same time have already been admitted. These were typically candidates at median LSAT and above 75th on GPA, usually from reputable universities. Columbia is pouncing very quickly on candidates who can help maintain its medians.



Thanks for the info. I bank on my LSAT getting me into places (170)...I mean my gpa is fine at 3.67 but nothing amazing. I've held a good job/internship for a few years where I've done some interesting things, but it's my only real activity. I think I write a pretty good statement. Idk if Columbia will take me just to keep its LSAT median up - not that I have a mindblowing LSAT but it may be good enough. Idk. Do you think I should update my transcript? I applied in November to all other schools - so it's my last semester transcript. My gpa went up .01 points, so it's nothing different, but just to show them I'm still doing fine?

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby arism87 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 pm

smscat wrote:
plurilingue wrote:
smscat wrote:I JUST got a fee waiver - idk why they are doing it so late. It's a stretch but I'm going for it. I see people with numbers fairly close to mine getting accepted, but I got rejected from Berkeley. Do you think they have a shortage of applicants or something if they are sending out waivers now?


Frankly, with what r6 said about the decline in LSAT takers and the fact that (seemingly) hundreds of qualified applicants got held, yes. Columbia wants to size up the entire applicant pool before making further admissions offers.

It also looks like most schools have admitted far fewer applicants than at this point in previous cycles. This is partially to be expected since the December result came out quite late, but at the same time I think that there are few as half as many admits (on TLS/ LSN at least) as in previous years. This would suggest that the quality of the applicant pool overall is worse than in recent cycles.

Edit: I will note that I have marginal stats and got held for further review -- not surprising since I went complete in early January. But some candidates who went complete around the same time have already been admitted. These were typically candidates at median LSAT and above 75th on GPA, usually from reputable universities. Columbia is pouncing very quickly on candidates who can help maintain its medians.



Thanks for the info. I bank on my LSAT getting me into places (170)...I mean my gpa is fine at 3.67 but nothing amazing. I've held a good job/internship for a few years where I've done some interesting things, but it's my only real activity. I think I write a pretty good statement. Idk if Columbia will take me just to keep its LSAT median up - not that I have a mindblowing LSAT but it may be good enough. Idk. Do you think I should update my transcript? I applied in November to all other schools - so it's my last semester transcript. My gpa went up .01 points, so it's nothing different, but just to show them I'm still doing fine?


Sorry but I believe Columbia's LSAT median is 172, no?

plurilingue
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby plurilingue » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:03 pm

.
Last edited by plurilingue on Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPeterson
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby MPeterson » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:10 am

VCE in Alabama! Postmark 2/2, no mention of scholarship.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Dany » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:18 am

MPeterson wrote:VCE in Alabama! Postmark 2/2, no mention of scholarship.

Yayyyyy Alabama! Congrats!

Frankie55
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Frankie55 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:44 am

So is the assumption for The Forgotten (non-held) that an acceptance/rejection/WL is imminent?

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby glitched » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:46 am

Frankie55 wrote:So is the assumption for The Forgotten (non-held) that an acceptance/rejection/WL is imminent?


acceptance/rejection. i'm under the assumption all WL went out. This is for pre-Jan applications though. Anything after that is too late to truly tell.

But hey, it's columbia. they send out decisions... like a boss.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:52 am

glitched wrote:
Frankie55 wrote:So is the assumption for The Forgotten (non-held) that an acceptance/rejection/WL is imminent?


acceptance/rejection. i'm under the assumption all WL went out. This is for pre-Jan applications though. Anything after that is too late to truly tell.

But hey, it's columbia. they send out decisions... like a boss.


I haven't been following, how many people got reserves? Were there a lot?

justhoping
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby justhoping » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:07 am

r6_philly wrote:
glitched wrote:I haven't been following, how many people got reserves? Were there a lot?


I was under the impression -- very few. but then the "forgotten" are also not as numerous as the "held".

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:09 am

Haha looking at the LSN graph, they reserved a bunch of 170's. I wonder why then are a bunch of 168/169's held? I don't understand CLS's tactics.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, Baby Gaga, champagnepapi, Google Adsense [Bot], hwwong, Rosa Parks, smashbash, Yitzhak26 and 20 guests