Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ahduth

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ahduth » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:51 am

law_monkey wrote:But CLS has been using priority, so all the LAers have been getting their stuff 2 days after it gets sent. Kind of amazing really! But if you want to be optimistic, the VCEs they shipped yesterday will be here tomorrow!

Note: I know there's no evidence of a 2/3 VCE yet, but why can't LA be the first?

CLS isn't using priority, just first class.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:57 am

First class mail... hm... not that I'm convinced I'll get an acceptance from CLS, but I suppose that means it'll take a little longer for any mail from them to reach us here in the South.

Congrats to the new admits! I am completely envious.

Tinkerz Belle

Postby Tinkerz Belle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:08 am

Well, my mom usually calls me everyday. She didn't call today, which leads me to believe the mailman brought bad news...:cry:

GraniteState

Postby GraniteState » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:11 am

glitched wrote:it looks like they've made at least some type of decision for EVERYONE before 1/10.

False. Applied 3-4 months ago, got fall grades request in early December, submitted unofficial in Dec and official in 1st week of Jan.

No hold, no reserve, no VCE, no ding.

glitched

Postby glitched » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:40 am

GraniteState wrote:
glitched wrote:it looks like they've made at least some type of decision for EVERYONE before 1/10.

False. Applied 3-4 months ago, got fall grades request in early December, submitted unofficial in Dec and official in 1st week of Jan.

Yeah I'm saying its in the mail somewhere.

GraniteState

Postby GraniteState » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:43 am

glitched wrote:
GraniteState wrote:

Yeah I'm saying its in the mail somewhere.

Hope so, but I'm in the Northeast--stuff doesn't take too long to get to me from New York.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:44 am

ahduth wrote:
law_monkey wrote:But CLS has been using priority, so all the LAers have been getting their stuff 2 days after it gets sent. Kind of amazing really! But if you want to be optimistic, the VCEs they shipped yesterday will be here tomorrow!

Note: I know there's no evidence of a 2/3 VCE yet, but why can't LA be the first?

Yeah, I'm an LA person who didn't get my 1/28 VCE until 2/2...THERE'S STILL HOPE!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:51 am

chasgoose wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Yeah, I'm an LA person who didn't get my 1/28 VCE until 2/2...THERE'S STILL HOPE!

Really??? OMG! That's awesome! All the other LA people on here had a 2 day turnaround. Not that I want to keep reviving hope bubbles or anything. :wink:

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:25 am

law_monkey wrote:
chasgoose wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Really??? OMG! That's awesome! All the other LA people on here had a 2 day turnaround. Not that I want to keep reviving hope bubbles or anything. :wink:

Yeah I mean there was a weekend in the middle of that, but it still was like 3-4 business days.

dot

Postby dot » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:03 am

Just woke up from a pretty bad dream:

-lost my purse
-lost my jacket
-had some weird blood disorder that was turning the inside of my mouh dark dark red and causing other unknown problems (impending death)

But then... I got a VCE (and nyu purple envelope which I didn't care too much about cuz I knew previously I had been admitted) and grabbed it and saw a sticker on the outside that said Hamilton, so I ripped it open but instead of the acceptance letter, th first pages were some more application forms to be filled out. Before I could flip through the rest of the pages to find the acceptance letter with note of a Hamilton, I woke up

Generally after waking from bad dreams, I just get up. But this time, I tried to get back into the dream to find tha damn acceptance letter. Never did, more bad stuff just kept happening to me :(

padthai

Postby padthai » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 am

Aww at least you got a VCE in the dream! I just woke up from a dream too where I got both a small white envelope AND a large yellowish envelope from CLS...lol wtf both a rejection and an acceptance?!

Anyway, here's to another day of waiting for the mail. Like mentioned before, I think us no news people are going to get some kind of a decision in the mail soon.

Kent M

Postby Kent M » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:38 am

I've had dreams as well but they were pretty normal. It was just me opening the envelope and feeling really happy before waking up.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Just created a separate thread for all those that were held: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146728

MPeterson

Postby MPeterson » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:33 pm

GraniteState wrote:

Same here. I applied in late Oct., nothing at all yet from Columbia.

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:19 pm

Is it obsessive that we dream about law schools? Spell Nerd anyone??? Hahaha

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:26 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:Is it obsessive that we dream about law schools? Spell Nerd anyone??? Hahaha

I had one of the worst nightmares about the LSAT ever the night before I took it. I was actually relieved the next morning when I woke up and realized I still had to take it. I also had nightmares about Penn the night before I got in. It was such a weird coincidence. Maybe my subconscious will guess when CLS is coming too so I can have a little heads up!

On another nerdy note, I had a fortune cookie a couple weeks ago and the fortune said, "You will have a tantalizing prospect in the near future." I immediately yelled out, "I'm getting Harvard or Columbia!" At the same time that my friend was like, "Ooo sounds like there's a boy coming your way." Guess I know where my priorities are now. :oops:

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Oh hey guys. Been busy with work the last couple months, but getting to that point.

Any word on those of us who submitted in October or so, but haven't heard back anything at this point? Are we definitely getting decisions soon at least?

Somewhere, Booya takes a shot

glitched

Postby glitched » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:15 pm

incompetentia wrote:Oh hey guys. Been busy with work the last couple months, but getting to that point.

Any word on those of us who submitted in October or so, but haven't heard back anything at this point? Are we definitely getting decisions soon at least?

TL, DR version of the past few DAYS:
Acceptances started streaming in by snail mail postmarked as early as 1/24. There are a few known "batches" of acceptances postmarked 1/24, 1/25, 1/26, 1/31, and 2/2. First class mail - not priority. There was a blizzard in NY that caused a storm of speculations and theories, all but seem irrelevant at this point.
There was a huge wave of holds notified by email on 2/2 and 2/3 which included many many well-qualified candidates. They hear back in April.
There was another wave of reserves notified by email on 2/3 which too included many well-qualified candidates. They hear back in May.
There was a group of denied applicants notified by snail mail, postmarked 2/1. We don't know if it is the only "batch."

If you haven't received an email and applied before 1/10, our best guess is that you will receive a decision in the mail within the next few days. Or your file was lost. Or Columbia has a "Not officially held, but actually being held until the next wave" batch.

That's about it.

Edit: Someone received an acceptance who went complete 1/18. Take it as you want to take it.
Last edited by glitched on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Glitched, are you sure? It looks like mainly the early Jan applicants who are auto admits are getting VCEs... Have other early Jan applicants heard back?

glitched

Postby glitched » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:22 pm

jrose5 wrote:Glitched, are you sure? It looks like mainly the early Jan applicants who are auto admits are getting VCEs... Have other early Jan applicants heard back?

there was one. he was lost in the chaos. lol most likely early Jan were just auto-admits. If you applied late December early Jan, I'd seriously not take a no-news to mean everything.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Do we have any reason to believe that alphabetical order has anything to do with it? I mean, I can't come up with any other reason for the people who applied early, seem reasonably well-qualified (i.e. high index number), and haven't heard anything as yet.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:38 pm

tomwatts wrote:Do we have any reason to believe that alphabetical order has anything to do with it? I mean, I can't come up with any other reason for the people who applied early, seem reasonably well-qualified (i.e. high index number), and haven't heard anything as yet.

In which direction? My last name begins with A.

melamine

Postby melamine » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:45 pm

glitched wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Oh hey guys. Been busy with work the last couple months, but getting to that point.

TL, DR version of the past few DAYS:
Acceptances started streaming in by snail mail postmarked as early as 1/24. There are a few known "batches" of acceptances postmarked 1/24, 1/25, 1/26, 1/31, and 2/2. First class mail - not priority. There was a blizzard in NY that caused a storm of speculations and theories, all but seem irrelevant at this point.
There was a huge wave of holds notified by email on 2/2 and 2/3 which included many many well-qualified candidates. They hear back in April.
There was another wave of reserves notified by email on 2/3 which too included many well-qualified candidates. They hear back in May.
There was a group of denied applicants notified by snail mail, postmarked 2/1. We don't know if it is the only "batch."

If you haven't received an email and applied before 1/10, our best guess is that you will receive a decision in the mail within the next few days. Or your file was lost. Or Columbia has a "Not officially held, but actually being held until the next wave" batch.

That's about it.
=

Glitched - one student claimed to have a VCE, where he went complete 1/18. So people who went complete into mid-late January might want to pay attention. (i take it complete date is probably a little more relevant than apply-date).

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Ok, I hate to ask this, but as this is my first visit to this particular thread, and as I have not been following along with Columbia, and as I have just spent the last 5 minutes trying to figure this out to no avail... what the hell does VCE stand for? :oops:

melamine

Postby melamine » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:48 pm

artichoke wrote:Ok, I hate to ask this, but as this is my first visit to this particular thread, and as I have not been following along with Columbia, and as I have just spent the last 5 minutes trying to figure this out to no avail... what the hell does VCE stand for? :oops:

vomit-colored-envelope. the color of the envelope an acceptance comes in, apparently.

(or vomit-coloured-envelope, for people who can only read british).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”