Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby timmna » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:08 pm

I wonder what their plan is with us mediocre URMs...

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Okay. I have some questions, and I am about to go start looking up the answers on LSN, but it will be sort of painstaking, so I figured i'd at least ask them here as well.

- Based on extrapolation from LSN numbers, have the same number of people been admitted to CLS so far as had been admitted last year when the holds came out?
- How many applicants total do we think are held (based on extrapolation from last year's LSN data and the number of TLSers who have filled out azn's form)?
- What proportion of those held were admitted last year?
- Based on the answer to question 1, can we expect the proportion to be similar this year?

Given the rapid pace of this thread in the past few days, I wouldn't be surprised if I'd missed a few illuminating comments that pertain to these questions.


I hear people say this kind of thing a lot (i.e. twice as many people were accepted by this time last year, etc), but there are a lot of people who don't put their dates in until later in/at the end of the cycle, so I think it's really hard to look at that data during the cycle.

It looks like a small proportion were held last year and admitted before others were rejected/put on the first reserve. then a few were admitted and others put on second reserve. and then they moved to third reserve. and then rejections.

That's what I got out of my search for the last half hour. My brain hurts.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
FTFE(veryone)


I must say I have seen your posts on all the boards and also on last years boards. Are you a professional law school applicant?
Just wondering


Ummm wtf. r6 is a super awesome person who applied to much of the T14 last year, applied pretty late so did not have a cycle to his liking, and applied again this year. In the mean time he's passed on much of the wisdom he's acquired by going through this whole ordeal twice, gives us tons of info on the cities he or some of his relatives have lived in, and provided lots of entertainment on the way. So in short, don't take stabs at r6.

I didn't realize TLS bonds went this deep. I wouldn't have give the guy more than a frowning emoticon.


Yeah but masterhearts is the one who's been going around on every single thread talking about how wrong TLS is about his URM status. So I've taken issue with his posts on several previous occasions and never said anything about it.

GraniteState
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby GraniteState » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:12 pm

timmna wrote:I wonder what their plan is with us mediocre URMs...


Your numbers are far from mediocre.

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby timmna » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:12 pm

GraniteState wrote:
timmna wrote:I wonder what their plan is with us mediocre URMs...


Your numbers are far from mediocre.


Why thank you! Could write a quick LOR to Harvard for me?

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Okay. I have some questions, and I am about to go start looking up the answers on LSN, but it will be sort of painstaking, so I figured i'd at least ask them here as well.

- Based on extrapolation from LSN numbers, have the same number of people been admitted to CLS so far as had been admitted last year when the holds came out?
- How many applicants total do we think are held (based on extrapolation from last year's LSN data and the number of TLSers who have filled out azn's form)?
- What proportion of those held were admitted last year?
- Based on the answer to question 1, can we expect the proportion to be similar this year?

Given the rapid pace of this thread in the past few days, I wouldn't be surprised if I'd missed a few illuminating comments that pertain to these questions.


I hear people say this kind of thing a lot (i.e. twice as many people were accepted by this time last year, etc), but there are a lot of people who don't put their dates in until later in/at the end of the cycle, so I think it's really hard to look at that data during the cycle.

It looks like a small proportion were held last year and admitted before others were rejected/put on the first reserve. then a few were admitted and others put on second reserve. and then they moved to third reserve. and then rejections.

That's what I got out of my search for the last half hour. My brain hurts.


Thanks, that's very helpful. It also looks like it will take forever to ID the people on LSN who got held as opposed to waitlisted. This might be a project for the weekend. If you remember, were those that were accepted off of the held list the obvious ones (the ones with great numbers who never belonged there in the first place) or were there any acceptances for borderlines?

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 pm

timmna wrote:
GraniteState wrote:
timmna wrote:I wonder what their plan is with us mediocre URMs...


Your numbers are far from mediocre.


Why thank you! Could write a quick LOR to Harvard for me?


Timmna you're one of the forgotten right?

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby mel2010 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:16 pm

dulcatis wrote:I am just so confused at this point. I kind of want to be held so I won't feel so alone :cry:


Sorry, reading through to catch up...and this would be really depressing in a non-TLS context. :(

GraniteState
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby GraniteState » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:16 pm

timmna wrote:
GraniteState wrote:
timmna wrote:I wonder what their plan is with us mediocre URMs...


Your numbers are far from mediocre.


Why thank you! Could write a quick LOR to Harvard for me?


Wouldn't help. HLS made it very clear that it wasn't me, it was them, blah blah blah.

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby timmna » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:16 pm

law_monkey wrote:
timmna wrote:
GraniteState wrote:
timmna wrote:I wonder what their plan is with us mediocre URMs...


Your numbers are far from mediocre.


Why thank you! Could write a quick LOR to Harvard for me?


Timmna you're one of the forgotten right?


Nope. Held by both C and H. Having a regular cuddlefest over here.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Okay. I have some questions, and I am about to go start looking up the answers on LSN, but it will be sort of painstaking, so I figured i'd at least ask them here as well.

- Based on extrapolation from LSN numbers, have the same number of people been admitted to CLS so far as had been admitted last year when the holds came out?
- How many applicants total do we think are held (based on extrapolation from last year's LSN data and the number of TLSers who have filled out azn's form)?
- What proportion of those held were admitted last year?
- Based on the answer to question 1, can we expect the proportion to be similar this year?

Given the rapid pace of this thread in the past few days, I wouldn't be surprised if I'd missed a few illuminating comments that pertain to these questions.


I hear people say this kind of thing a lot (i.e. twice as many people were accepted by this time last year, etc), but there are a lot of people who don't put their dates in until later in/at the end of the cycle, so I think it's really hard to look at that data during the cycle.

It looks like a small proportion were held last year and admitted before others were rejected/put on the first reserve. then a few were admitted and others put on second reserve. and then they moved to third reserve. and then rejections.

That's what I got out of my search for the last half hour. My brain hurts.


Thanks, that's very helpful. It also looks like it will take forever to ID the people on LSN who got held as opposed to waitlisted. This might be a project for the weekend. If you remember, were those that were accepted off of the held list the obvious ones (the ones with great numbers who never belonged there in the first place) or were there any acceptances for borderlines?



None of the people who I read got accepted (or talked about others getting accepted) put their numbers in. They were not nearly as spreadsheet oriented as us. Shame on them, totally not helpful. The 2011-2012 people are going to love us.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:20 pm

sarahlawg wrote:None of the people who I read got accepted (or talked about others getting accepted) put their numbers in. They were not nearly as spreadsheet oriented as us. Shame on them, totally not helpful. The 2011-2012 people are going to love usdulc.


FTFM

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby timmna » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 pm

GraniteState wrote:Wouldn't help. HLS made it very clear that it wasn't me, it was them, blah blah blah.


Don't feel bad. I'm pretty sure that soon I'm going to get "I think we should see other people."

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby gatorgirl4life » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:28 pm

timmna wrote:
GraniteState wrote:Wouldn't help. HLS made it very clear that it wasn't me, it was them, blah blah blah.


Don't feel bad. I'm pretty sure that soon I'm going to get "I think we should see other people."


and i'll get, "we didn't forget you...we're actually avoiding you."

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:31 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:I didn't realize TLS bonds went this deep. I wouldn't have give the guy more than a frowning emoticon.


Yeah but masterhearts is the one who's been going around on every single thread talking about how wrong TLS is about his URM status. So I've taken issue with his posts on several previous occasions and never said anything about it.


Yeah but (s)he went to an ivy!

omg.. I need to get off TLS. I'm participating in activities I used to hate.

But I also <3 r6.

User avatar
xtine
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby xtine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Just got home annnnnnnnd REJECTED! Not surprised, just had to give it a try. I guess now I need to decide between UVA, Northwestern and Gtown! Good luck to everybody left in the pool!

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:33 pm

law_monkey wrote:
timmna wrote:
GraniteState wrote:
timmna wrote:I wonder what their plan is with us mediocre URMs...


Your numbers are far from mediocre.


Why thank you! Could write a quick LOR to Harvard for me?


Timmna you're one of the forgotten right?

No, but her numbers twin right here is. :lol:

Timmna when did you go complete at Columbia?

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 pm

xtine wrote:Just got home annnnnnnnd REJECTED! Not surprised, just had to give it a try. I guess now I need to decide between UVA, Northwestern and Gtown! Good luck to everybody left in the pool!


:( So sorry. Fantastic choices though!
sarahlawg wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:None of the people who I read got accepted (or talked about others getting accepted) put their numbers in. They were not nearly as spreadsheet oriented as us. Shame on them, totally not helpful. The 2011-2012 people are going to love usdulc.


FTFM


QF Truth

justhoping
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby justhoping » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:37 pm

xtine wrote:Just got home annnnnnnnd REJECTED! Not surprised, just had to give it a try. I guess now I need to decide between UVA, Northwestern and Gtown! Good luck to everybody left in the pool!


officially switching from fearing e-mail to fearing snailmail, sigh....

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby timmna » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
law_monkey wrote: Timmna you're one of the forgotten right?

No, but her numbers twin right here is. :lol:

Timmna when did you go complete at Columbia?


12/2. 2 months to the day I was held.

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:38 pm

eskimo wrote:lol hold.

I don't care to wait until April for a decision, so looks like my gut feeling was right all along! <3 CHI!

Good luck to everyone still waiting! <3 <3 <3

aw sorry eski!! <3

but enjoy chicago!!! ....tho maybe not this week :lol:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Timmna you're one of the forgotten right?

No, but her numbers twin right here is. :lol:



Ok then let's be friends! :D

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby timmna » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:44 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Timmna you're one of the forgotten right?

No, but her numbers twin right here is. :lol:



Ok then let's be friends! :D


Awwww

lshamlet
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby lshamlet » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Quick question everyone...

When CLS requests your fall grades, do you think that means they have finished reviewing your app and need to see your grades to confirm their decision, or do you think that means they stopped reviewing your app/didn't review it, and will continue/begin to review it when they receive your fall grades?

I'm trying to decide if I should consider myself complete in Jan (when I sent my transcript), or in Nov (when I sent my app in)...Any thoughts?

c_dubya_s
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 pm

lshamlet wrote:Quick question everyone...

When CLS requests your fall grades, do you think that means they have finished reviewing your app and need to see your grades to confirm their decision, or do you think that means they stopped reviewing your app/didn't review it, and will continue/begin to review it when they receive your fall grades?

I'm trying to decide if I should consider myself complete in Jan (when I sent my transcript), or in Nov (when I sent my app in)...Any thoughts?

I'd have to believe that they reviewed your app and saw something that made them want to request your grades, so I would consider you complete in November (or whenever your status checker went to complete).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, ad34964n, aw_1234, Baby Gaga, BobBoblaw, cyclawps, fattsdomino, jer0689, Keilz, Lmorina126, yuppitsme and 41 guests