Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lzyovrachievr

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby lzyovrachievr » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 am

eskimo wrote:Guys this time last year the CLS thread had 128 pages. We have over 250. :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is the new gunner thread.

hiddenfist

Postby hiddenfist » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:07 am

bendurnotes4me wrote:I'm pretty sure there will be another batch of holds today. I'm 4.4 (highest) index so not good enough to beat out some of these hold people but hopefully not ding material either. I went complete in mid-January but since other Jan completes have heard I don't think thats an issue anymore. And I'm abroad so if I'd been accepted I would have gotten an email. blargh

Another batch of holds would serve only as harbingers of the apocalypse.

padthai

Postby padthai » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 am

Dulcatis, can you please sort both the holds and non-holds spreadsheets according to index?
I want to compare the two but the numbers are all over the place. Thank you!

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:37 am

After a moment of thought, I have to agree with Columbia's use of hold in my case. Elements of my application, combined with my numbers, make it clear that I would not, and could not, attend Columbia with anything less than a full scholarship. Basically, offering me admission without also offering me the Hamilton would pretty clearly put me in a position where I would have no choice but to go elsewhere. Apparently, I wasnt quite in the Hamilton league.

padthai

Postby padthai » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:40 am

tkgrrett wrote:After a moment of thought, I have to agree with Columbia's use of hold in my case. Elements of my application, combined with my numbers, make it clear that I would not, and could not, attend Columbia with anything less than a full scholarship. Basically, offering me admission without also offering me the Hamilton would pretty clearly put me in a position where I would have no choice but to go elsewhere. Apparently, I wasnt quite in the Hamilton league.

But you're in the "acceptance to every other great school" league
Why didn't you apply to Yale?!

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:42 am

two things:

1) what's the consensus about sending a LOCI/additional recs? I am out of school so have no additional grades to send them. I wrote no "Why Columbia" and do have a potentially impressive rec from a law prof. that I could send along. My numbers are not strong for Columbia, so these "softs" are the only things that could push me over the edge, I'm guessing. Thoughts?

2) Has anyone been rejected yet?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:42 am

padthai wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:After a moment of thought, I have to agree with Columbia's use of hold in my case. Elements of my application, combined with my numbers, make it clear that I would not, and could not, attend Columbia with anything less than a full scholarship. Basically, offering me admission without also offering me the Hamilton would pretty clearly put me in a position where I would have no choice but to go elsewhere. Apparently, I wasnt quite in the Hamilton league.

But you're in the "acceptance to every other great school" league
Why didn't you apply to Yale?!

Have no interest in attending so didnt want to spend the money(Yale waiver process is a bit of a hassle.)... would take both Stanford and Harvard over it at comparable cost. I had an LSAC fee waiver that allowed me to apply to most of my schools for free. The only one I paid for was Stanford.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:45 am

amkid100 wrote:two things:

1) what's the consensus about sending a LOCI/additional recs? I am out of school so have no additional grades to send them. I wrote no "Why Columbia" and do have a potentially impressive rec from a law prof. that I could send along. My numbers are not strong for Columbia, so these "softs" are the only things that could push me over the edge, I'm guessing. Thoughts?

1) Planning on calling during my lunch break--I've already updated my grades, but considering sending in a LOCI/updated resume. I'll report back.
2) Not to my knowledge. RDers have only had VCEs and holds so far.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 am

This is reasonable.

Unfortunately I'm taking it more personally. I'm just at both medians so clearly don't require any bribes, and there's nothing negative in my app (that I know of) so I'm really just sad that CLS doesn't like me :(

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 am

c_dubya_s wrote:

1) Planning on calling during my lunch break--I've already updated my grades, but considering sending in a LOCI/updated resume. I'll report back.

Thanks.

The fact that no one has yet been rejected makes me less excited about still being in the game here :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 am

The Stig wrote:
I keep thinking that when I meet TLSers IRL, they are going to look like their avatars... e.g. castlerock will be a dog, r6 will be a young child, knock will either be a stanford football helmet or cat, dulc will be some dude/the chick from chuck, eski will be natty p, etc. etc.

I will not behave any different than a young child. I promise. And I have more hair and a tad bit uglier. :lol:

VCE today?

champsound

Postby champsound » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:49 am

Wow, what happened to this thread? I haven't looked at it since about pg 225 or so. Last I heard, we started getting some holds.

bendurnotes4me

Postby bendurnotes4me » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:54 am

Maybe CLS read this thread and decided we were getting too clever with all our spreadsheets and what not and just decided to throw us for a loop

Postby 4102011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:55 am

padthai wrote:Dulcatis, can you please sort both the holds and non-holds spreadsheets according to index?
I want to compare the two but the numbers are all over the place. Thank you!

I sorted the no-holds one, but the holds spreadsheet is azn's. Will ask him about this later if I remember.

eskimo wrote:Also I need to pick uglier avatars so when I don't look like a movie star people aren't disappointed. hahaha

& this. Sadly, I do not look like the girl from Chuck. Or..like a guy, I hope. :|

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:55 am

c_dubya_s wrote:

I will look forward to your report! I am so ready to write a LOCI.

r6_philly wrote:
The Stig wrote:
I keep thinking that when I meet TLSers IRL, they are going to look like their avatars... e.g. castlerock will be a dog, r6 will be a young child, knock will either be a stanford football helmet or cat, dulc will be some dude/the chick from chuck, eski will be natty p, etc. etc.

Yes. :mrgreen:
I will not behave any different than a young child. I promise. And I have more hair and a tad bit uglier. :lol:

VCE today?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:00 am

The Stig wrote:I keep thinking that when I meet TLSers IRL, they are going to look like their avatars... e.g. castlerock will be a dog, r6 will be a young child, knock will either be a stanford football helmet or cat, dulc will be some dude/the chick from chuck, eski will be natty p, etc. etc.

I thought Knock was a hot girl covered in tennis balls for the longest time.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 am

Hmm... I think I should've EDed at CLS. Whoops.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 am

piccolittle wrote:
The Stig wrote:I keep thinking that when I meet TLSers IRL, they are going to look like their avatars... e.g. castlerock will be a dog, r6 will be a young child, knock will either be a stanford football helmet or cat, dulc will be some dude/the chick from chuck, eski will be natty p, etc. etc.

I thought Knock was a hot girl covered in tennis balls for the longest time.

Man--I really need an avatar so you people can get a mental image of me. I'll choose carefully.

Eponymous

Postby Eponymous » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:05 am

justhoping wrote:i'm on a tangent here just out of curiosity, is the vomit colour Columbia's school colour? and how long has it been called "vomit"?

Columbia's color is a baby/sky blue that (so Columbia undergrads claim) is actually known as "Columbia Blue" -- a virtually proprietary hue, a la "Knightsbridge Scarlet."

WRT the "hold/non-hold/general chaos" debacle...

It seems to me that the most plausible explanation is, indeed, that the no-hold/no-VCE crowd (okay, small cocktail party, not "crowd") is headed for accept/reject soon. Maybe WL, but why bother, at this point, with a WL? However, if that were definitely the case, then one would expect to see the stats in the spreadsheet take on a bi-modal quality. Interestingly, from a purely numbers-driven perspective (index numbers), the range of numbers/scores for the no-hold/no-VCE/presumptive-imminent-decisions group is NOT bi-modal. There is a fairly smooth continuum of numbers.

In other words, one theory is that Columbia currently has THREE GROUPS of applicants who have either just heard or who are about to hear the disposition of their applications: (1) ADMIT (=no hold/no VCE, attractive numbers) or (2) HOLD (=borderlines and many splitters, some URM) or (3) REJECT (=no hold/no VCE, numbers not so compelling). But if that were the simple case, then one would expect that the spreadsheet for "no holds" would show the attractive numbers, followed by a sort of no-man's land into which the "holds" would have fallen, if they were not sorted into a separate group, followed by less attractive numbers. That does not appear to be the case.

I have multiple theories about what the "hold" means, but most of them come down to this: multiple causes, and multiple likely outcomes from the list. It seems to me that the "hold list" is sort of a pre-waitlist-waitlist (as others have theorized), combined with some late-ish apps and some decisions delayed by a late December LSAT, by snow, and by the general vicissitudes of life.

Two additional relevant observations:

(1) The adcoms have, until recent years, been used to dealing with applicants who understand the application process, and who react to it, as singletons. There never used to be the "hive mind" effect created by the internet (by chat rooms, forums, etc.) Therefore, in years past, any individual applicant who received a "waitlist" or a “hold" was free to make of that information/feedback what he or she would – but was forced to do so in a vacuum. The applicant was likely to be annoyed, frustrated, perhaps puzzled, maybe even relieved. But the applicant would experience these emotions in private. The reaction of [i]insulted outrage[i] (or at least miffed indignation) that many are experiencing is, in great part, an artifact of the internet.

The current “holds” have instant and widespread access to the particulars of other “holds,” and the reaction is not an individual’s unhappy, weak, somewhat insecure mewing of, “Why not me?” The individual’s reaction becomes part of the roar of a crowd. A “hold” is angry, rather than unhappy, confident in the righteousness of, if not one’s own cause, then in the cause of so many others so unjustifiably and so carelessly “held.” One can imagine that an eventual April acceptance will be greeted rather differently by an applicant who feels that he or she has been casually mis-treated and taken for granted, versus an applicant (of theoretical years ago) who feels (would have felt) slightly overlooked and somewhat unappreciated, but who is (was) generally relieved and glad to be remembered and welcomed at last.

It may be that Columbia has not anticipated such a “group think” reaction. An unintended consequence of a widespread and simultaneous “hold” that has been perpetrated in the age of the internet…? Possibly. (If so, one would assume that Columbia will not repeat this.)

(2) I notice an unusual dearth of 175-plus LSATs in both spreadsheets. (Count ‘em up.) Not sure what that says. Obviously, it may say something about the LSAT scores of those who have already been accepted, who are not represented on the spreadsheets. It may simply reflect the generally lower numbers of LS applicants across the board this year (see LSAC info). Not sure. In any event, it is hard for me to escape the supposition that a significant aspect of the “holds” process/approach is Columbia’s attempt to balance out (maximize) its numbers during a cycle in which the highest LSAT scores seem to be a relative rarity – at least in its own applicant pool.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:13 am

For those of us who have contemplated how this year's pool compares to last year's, I just compared LSN data from both. Students who report being admitted last year (overall) vs. this year (until now) have nearly identical quartiles.

Hmm.

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16 am

Eponymous wrote:I have multiple theories about what the "hold" means, but most of them come down to this: multiple causes, and multiple likely outcomes from the list. It seems to me that the "hold list" is sort of a pre-waitlist-waitlist (as others have theorized), combined with some late-ish apps and some decisions delayed by a late December LSAT, by snow, and by the general vicissitudes of life.

I'd agree with this analysis - although I'm sure there will be some people who are admitted/denied without ever making it onto the waitlist.

Now, this may be premature - especially for someone w my numbers - but how likely is it to be admitted off of Columbia's waitlist? Duke apparently didn't touch theirs last cycle, what about Columbia? Also, some have speculated that the quality/# of applicants is down this year. How will that affect things? How does Columbia's waitlist work? There are multiple rounds, right?

Yup, just asked a string of questions in a row. Sorry to be such a pain.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:20 am

HELD!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! *Lights hair on fire again*

How can they go into a second day of holds??? They held almost the entire applicant ppol yesterday!

Everyone hide from their email!

arism87

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:21 am

jd2014! wrote:HELD!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! *Lights hair on fire again*

I'm sorry! (I think? Maybe not? Idk if it's bad.. ? lol) Just now?!

Edit to add: just kidding, you edited to answer that.

How ridiculous

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:22 am

jd2014! wrote:HELD!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! *Lights hair on fire again*

How can they go into a second day of holds??? They held almost the entire applicant ppol yesterday!

Wow.. more holds?!?! No way.. no way.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:22 am

Jeez...

Should I scramble to turn off my email handler or accept my impending hold?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”