Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:00 am

How about a "Columbia switch to admission by lottery" theory? :)

GraniteState

Postby GraniteState » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:00 am

dulcatis wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Yeah who am I kidding? For us confuzzled applicants:

Form:

--LinkRemoved--

Spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=COCx7rcG

ahduth wrote:Dulcatis should probably just go work in i banking instead with her spreadsheet ninjitsu.

No. Just...no :(

NEW QUESTION: did anyone who got ignored by CLS get a grades request update?

Yup. In early December. They got the update weeks ago.

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:03 am

Maybe this is how CLS is making our decisions....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBhrpD1x8zo

:lol:

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:04 am

absolutazn87 wrote:Maybe this is how CLS is making our decisions....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBhrpD1x8zo

:lol:

:lol: :lol:

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:04 am

dulcatis wrote:I could see the wary-of-Rubenstein theory, but trying to crack the top 3 is pretty hardcore.

I think Chicago and CLS are really only separated by numerical quality of students (basically LSAT). There are some minor differences across categories, but I think that is the major one.

akikaze

Postby akikaze » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:06 am

bdubs wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I could see the wary-of-Rubenstein theory, but trying to crack the top 3 is pretty hardcore.

I think Chicago and CLS are really only separated by numerical quality of students (basically LSAT). There are some minor differences across categories, but I think that is the major one.

I think the soft factors also distinguish Columbia students from Chicago ones. Many people I know in Manhattan and in coastal California will not apply to Chicago schools simply because Chicago isn't an international center like NY or the CA metropolises. (That and the weather...) I don't think that UChicago has anywhere near the international flavor you'll find at CLS or NYU.

padthai

Postby padthai » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:07 am

GraniteState wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Yeah who am I kidding? For us confuzzled applicants:

Form:

--LinkRemoved--

Spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=COCx7rcG

ahduth wrote:Dulcatis should probably just go work in i banking instead with her spreadsheet ninjitsu.

No. Just...no :(

NEW QUESTION: did anyone who got ignored by CLS get a grades request update?

Yup. In early December. They got the update weeks ago.

Same here, but request came later. Why do you ask Dulc?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:07 am

akikaze wrote:I think the soft factors also distinguish Columbia students from Chicago ones. Many people I know in Manhattan and in coastal California will not apply to Chicago schools simply because Chicago isn't an international center like NY or the CA metropolises. (That and the weather...) I don't think that UChicago has anywhere near the international flavor you'll find at CLS or NYU.

They didn't want my flavor :mrgreen:

Postby 4102011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:08 am

Dunno, I just knew of at least three of us in the non-hold pile without a request. Was worth a shot!

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:09 am

I didn't get a grades request but I sent my grades to LSAC anyway. Unfortunately I did it late (the 24th) and in the middle of the storm period so I don't think LSAC even has them yet...

padthai

Postby padthai » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:10 am

Hmm..but it doesnt seem like many people received requests this year. At least in the RD crowd. And I think CLS had very specific/legit reasons for requesting my grades (3.8+)

Postby 4102011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:11 am

Mine...didn't go up. So I didn't send them.

santoinettea

Postby santoinettea » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:12 am

I got the "On hold" e-mail today. I could skim the past 50 pages, but if someone would be so kind as to tell me what this actually boils down to, I'd really appreciate it. Is it the same kind of deal as being waitlisted?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 am

akikaze wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I think the soft factors also distinguish Columbia students from Chicago ones. Many people I know in Manhattan and in coastal California will not apply to Chicago schools simply because Chicago isn't an international center like NY or the CA metropolises. (That and the weather...) I don't think that UChicago has anywhere near the international flavor you'll find at CLS or NYU.

I was only talking about USNWR, which doesn't really give a hoot about student appeal. They only rank schools based on a pre-defined set of criteria, many of which Chicago has an advantage in because its class sizes are much smaller.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:16 am

santoinettea wrote:I got the "On hold" e-mail today. I could skim the past 50 pages, but if someone would be so kind as to tell me what this actually boils down to, I'd really appreciate it. Is it the same kind of deal as being waitlisted?

Noone knows what it means. But it's not WL. WL is called Reserve, and you could still get it.

A small group of people are not held, and we can't figure out a reason.

Some of us have delusions that this means we've been accepted.

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
santoinettea wrote:I got the "On hold" e-mail today. I could skim the past 50 pages, but if someone would be so kind as to tell me what this actually boils down to, I'd really appreciate it. Is it the same kind of deal as being waitlisted?

Noone knows what it means. But it's not WL. WL is called Reserve, and you could still get it.

It's not delusional if it could actually happen!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:17 am

bistduverrueckt wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Now I like your thinking.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:20 am

law_monkey wrote:OMG just caught up on the 20 PAGES!!! since I had to leave 3 hours ago. I can't believe the holds continued on for another hour!!! I'm also sitting at no hold/no VCE, but I don't have solid numbers by any means. For myself personally (and thus not for the whole forgotten group), I am terrified by the fact that I didn't get held. I'm hesitant to consider myself a part of the forgotten group until tomorrow, which I'm guessing may be when they start the reserve/ding emails. :cry: I'm officially enjoying what will probably be the last night I can hope to get into Columbia Law. But I still think some of you non-holds with higher numbers should keep the hope alive! :D

+1

2.7 HYP, 170, URM, 4.5 yrs we.

I knew it was a long shot, but the fee waiver made me get my hopes up.

math101

Postby math101 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:22 am

hellojd wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:
hellojd wrote:Just got the hold e-mail...

Hate to ask this, but i lost track of this thread when it exploded around page 190 lol. Could someone briefly tell me what hold entails in terms of chances / when we can expect a final decision?

They haven't been able to make a final decision, you should get one by the end of April, and nobody really knows the chances part. The numbers are all over the place.

HTH

ETA: you JUST got a hold email? as in just now? they're STILL sending them?

Woops, sorry guys! I'm international at the moment, and just woke up to a hold e-mail haha. To be precise, I got it in my inbox about 6 hours ago.

International as well, just checked my e-mail. Got a hold decision at 5:26pm EST on 2/2 (at least I think my e-mail is still set to EST). Stats: 169, 3.71 (3.84 degree). I think I'm personally headed for a ding.

Q: Can I just write it off as a waitlist on LSN and be done with it?

Edit: Located internationally, I mean. In Siberia to be more exact.

santoinettea

Postby santoinettea » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:24 am

r6_philly wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Now I like your thinking.

Haha, well best of luck to you guys! : ) The hold thing is so mysterious. The letter said we're under "active consideration," but google searches are indicating that "hold" means we go off into another pile for later consideration once they get a better feel for the applicant pool. I like the connotation of active though, so I'm going with that..... Maybe.

The letter also said we'll know no later than April 22nd; that's a long time to be up in the air.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:24 am

Wowwww. What a day to have so many meetings that I never even turned on my computer till I got home tonight at 11.

I am held. HOORAY FOR NO OUTRIGHT REJECTION!! And it looks like I am in good company (way too good company for me to eventually get accepted, but that's alright).

For the forgotten group, I am pretty sure that you will be receiving 1/28 batch VCEs in the next day or two. Obviously!

I only read every third page from 215 to 249... can someone tell me, are we still pming absoluteazn to get our stats on the spreadsheet or is there a form now? (For the holds, not the forgotten group)

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:26 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Wowwww. What a day to have so many meetings that I never even turned on my computer till I got home tonight at 11.

I am held. HOORAY FOR NO OUTRIGHT REJECTION!! And it looks like I am in good company (way too good company for me to eventually get accepted, but that's alright).

For the forgotten group, I am pretty sure that you will be receiving 1/28 batch VCEs in the next day or two. Obviously!

I only read every third page from 215 to 249... can someone tell me, are we still pming absoluteazn to get our stats on the spreadsheet or is there a form now? (For the holds, not the forgotten group)

There's a form now! And <3<3<3 Habit. We missed you today!

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:27 am

absolutazn87 wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:I'm following the trend and turning my "Hold" spreadsheet into a form too. :)

If you've been held, fill this form out!
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/viewfo ... c6MQ#gid=0

Results:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CJCcv50J

If you've already posted your numbers before in this thread or you've PMed me, don't fill out the form

QF new page

QF Habit :)

neonx

Postby neonx » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:28 am

Can someone cue me in on what "QF" means?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:28 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:For the forgotten group, I am pretty sure that you will be receiving 1/28 batch VCEs in the next day or two. Obviously!

<3 :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”