Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahlawg

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Knock wrote:
CosmoLaw wrote:
Kswizzie wrote:
akikaze wrote:Agree and disagree; this deferral (which is essentially what we're seeing) is producing the desired effect: annoying those who have stellar stats/extras and were admitted to YHS (and who will withdraw, thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield); forcing the rest of us who are very interested to express our interest in concrete manners (thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield); and screening out those who might not have the stats/interest level/resources to get into and pay sticker at Columbia (thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield).

I mean, they may very well end up with a >50% yield using these tactics. I'd also point out that applicants who are held and withdraw or withdraw before any kind of decision push DOWN Columbia's acceptance rate (for no good reason) and make the school look more selective than it actually is.

Edit: I'd also note that they very interestingly phrased it as an "admissions decision", which (you're right) it isn't at all.

IDK if this is a good explanation... Is this move really driven by USNEWS rank concerns. Can the admissions staff at Columbia really expect their rank to change. They must know that the chances of passing Stanford are slim just as slim are the chances of NYU or Chicago passing them.

Perhaps these are just stabilizing tactics- necessary to maintain their present rank?

There's still the absolute score to consider as well. I just can't really see any other reasonable explanation besides what Akikaze theorized, short of they sent the hold email to a wider audience than they intended.

if you look at lsn from last year though, there were several people who were held only to later be wl with really great numbers just like those held this year. To be honest, I am not holding my breath.
The only hope is that somehow and for some reason, this year is different.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:24 pm

I think the weeding out theory seems about right. The only other thing it could be is them realizing the applicant pool stinks and needing to reevaluate many of their previous decisions. Either way. For those not held like my self it probably means something really good or really bad is on its way soon.

Unfortunately I am getting my hopes up irrationally.

Verisimi

Postby Verisimi » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:24 pm

It's very likely that they made some sort of technical error.

If they are in fact gaming the system, consider the effect of Chicago's Rubenstein money, which, for a class size of 200, theoretically adds 20 people with Harvard numbers to the top of their class, boosting up the percentiles and allowing them to concentrate the money they had allotted before on fewer applicants. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to think that Chicago could overtake Columbia, so making moves to stay at #4 seems possible.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:24 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Knock wrote:
CosmoLaw wrote:
Kswizzie wrote:
IDK if this is a good explanation... Is this move really driven by USNEWS rank concerns. Can the admissions staff at Columbia really expect their rank to change. They must know that the chances of passing Stanford are slim just as slim are the chances of NYU or Chicago passing them.

Perhaps these are just stabilizing tactics- necessary to maintain their present rank?

There's still the absolute score to consider as well. I just can't really see any other reasonable explanation besides what Akikaze theorized, short of they sent the hold email to a wider audience than they intended.

if you look at lsn from last year though, there were several people who were held only to later be wl with really great numbers just like those held this year. To be honest, I am not holding my breath.
The only hope is that somehow and for some reason, this year is different.

Eh, it's just weird that people like Tkgrret got held at CLS.

jiggawhut

Postby jiggawhut » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Held. Sigh. 174/3.56

At least the hold letter was nicer/less pompous than Harvard's.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:27 pm

jiggawhut wrote:Held. Sigh. 174/3.56

Did u just get the email? This is nuts
I'm still in limbo and wondering if the first wave is still going out?

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Fresh wrote:

Fresh, i'm pretty sure your Hamilton is on the way ;).

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Knock wrote:
Fresh, i'm pretty sure your Hamilton is on the way ;).

PShhhhhhhhhhhhh I wish

jiggawhut

Postby jiggawhut » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Fresh wrote:

Nope, the e-mail came in almost four hours ago.

Good luck!

Postby 4102011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:30 pm

dulcatis wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Yeah who am I kidding? For us confuzzled applicants:

Form:

--LinkRemoved--

Spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=COCx7rcG

ahduth wrote:Dulcatis should probably just go work in i banking instead with her spreadsheet ninjitsu.

No. Just...no :(

NEW QUESTION: did anyone who got ignored by CLS get a grades request update?

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:31 pm

dulcatis wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

Form:

--LinkRemoved--

Spreadsheet:

ahduth wrote:Dulcatis should probably just go work in i banking instead with her spreadsheet ninjitsu.

I did. The grade request came in mid january. Fun stuff

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:32 pm

dulcatis wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

Form:

--LinkRemoved--

Spreadsheet:

Nope. I haven't heard a peep from them in nearly 4 months :(

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:32 pm

I hope there's more clarity tomorrow about CLS's outlook on LOCI's. BTW, has anyone sent one in yet and do they prefer it via email or the "traditional" way?

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:33 pm

arkansawyer wrote:
dulcatis wrote:NEW QUESTION: did anyone who got ignored by CLS get a grades request update?

I did. The grade request came in mid january. Fun stuff

+1, received/completed/confirmed 1/5

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Knock wrote:I'm interested in hearing what the person who is going to call tomorrow reports back. It may affect whether I write a LOCI.

+1

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Just to make sure people don't think I am messing with them in what is already a very confusing situation (seriously people who do that are awful), I thought I would include some pictures of my VCE with the postmark date...

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

I can't imagine I'm the only one that received one of these, and I have to believe that at least some of the people who submitted before I did and didn't get a hold e-mail will be receiving one soon.

Seeing the stats for some people that were held makes me seriously wonder how I got in and they didn't. I was 3.5x at HYP (and although Columbia accepted 41% of students from my school two years ago, I am below the 50th percentile GPA-wise for all law school applicants from my school according to LSAC), 168/177. 2.5 years out of college, worked in the film industry for a year and kind of got fired/left on my own because it was not a good scene and have been SAT tutoring since. I had one academic recommendation (although the professor was more my boss than anything) and one recommendation from my former job. Wrote a pretty good PS but nothing special. Who knows how they make their decisions up there, maybe the snow really did make them crazy...

Edited because I can't add pictures properly...
Last edited by chasgoose on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:41 pm

chasgoose wrote:Just to make sure people don't think I am messing with them in what is already a very confusing situation, I thought I would include some pictures of my VCE with the postmark date...

I can't imagine I'm the only one that received one of these, and I have to believe that at least some of the people who submitted before I did and didn't get a hold e-mail will be receiving one soon.

Seeing the stats for some people that were held makes me seriously wonder how I got in and they didn't. I was 3.5x at HYP (and although Columbia accepted 41% of students from my school two years ago, I am below the 50th percentile GPA-wise for all law school applicants from my school according to LSAC), 168/177. 2.5 years out of college, worked in the film industry for a year and kind of got fired/left on my own because it was not a good scene and have been SAT tutoring since. I had one academic recommendation (although the professor was more my boss than anything) and one recommendation from my former job. Wrote a pretty good PS but nothing special. Who knows how they make their decisions up there, maybe the snow really did make them crazy...

Congrats. You need to upload your pics though, go to http://www.imageshack.com

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Knock wrote:
chasgoose wrote:Just to make sure people don't think I am messing with them in what is already a very confusing situation, I thought I would include some pictures of my VCE with the postmark date...

Congrats. You need to upload your pics though, go to http://www.imageshack.com

Yeah, just figured that out lol.

modmx

Postby modmx » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:45 pm

I'd like to jump into this thread and need some advice.

Also held today, very surprised since I'm a 3.92/167.

Judging from what I've read over the last few pages ITT, Columbia is not a big fan of LOCI? Would it be dangerous to send in a letter that specifically mentions the hold on my file but why I am a good fit? Would an additional, and 4th LOR help?

I am also considering not to send an updated transcript as my GPA took a dip down. would this be ok if I'm already at their 75% for GPA?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Knock wrote:
Eh, it's just weird that people like Tkgrret got held at CLS.

yeah, I mean considering this is their first year emailing the holds, it's possible there was some problem there.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:48 pm

modmx wrote:I'd like to jump into this thread and need some advice.

Judging from what I've read over the last few pages ITT, Columbia is not a big fan of LOCI? Would it be dangerous to send in a letter that specifically mentions the hold on my file but why I am a good fit? Would an additional, and 4th LOR help?

I am also considering not to send an updated transcript as my GPA took a dip down. would this be ok if I'm already at their 75% for GPA?

You shouldn't be very surprised with a 167 :|. I think the short answer is, no one here really knows. This caught most of us by surprised. I don't think a LOCI or 4th LOR would hurt, but your odds aren't good either way. Personally, I'm waiting for the person who volunteered to call CLS tomorrow and see if they can get a feel on what exactly this hold was and whether they are wanting LOCIs.

Definitely don't send in an updated transcript unrequested if your GPA went down.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:49 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
yeah, I mean considering this is their first year emailing the holds, it's possible there was some problem there.

i wouldn't be surprised if it was a mistake of some sort, but the holds came out in a prolonged stream it seemed. so i feel like they would have caught their mistake idk

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:51 pm

dulcatis wrote:NEW QUESTION: did anyone who got ignored by CLS get a grades request update?

I didn't get a request but I did send an update.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Knock wrote:
modmx wrote:I'd like to jump into this thread and need some advice.

You shouldn't be very surprised with a 167 :|. I think the short answer is, no one here really knows. This caught most of us by surprised. I don't think a LOCI or 4th LOR would hurt, but your odds aren't good either way. Personally, I'm waiting for the person who volunteered to call CLS tomorrow and see if they can get a feel on what exactly this hold was and whether they are wanting LOCIs.

Definitely don't send in an updated transcript unrequested if your GPA went down.

I think she/he means surprised that they did not get rejected and put on hold....

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:51 pm

I think "the person who volunteered to call CLS tomorrow" is me, haha. :p Unless someone else wants to call as well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”