Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CosmoLaw

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby CosmoLaw » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 pm

CastleRock wrote:I don't know if I'm happier with no hold and no admit, or if I'd be happier with a hold.

It's hard to judge, because they are not telling us what this category actually means. All it says is that you're still being actively considered,... which is what they've been doing since we go complete. It just seems like saying we're still pondering so don't badger us.

There is no actual update.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Held. 170/3.7, this is probably the best I could have expected. Best of luck to those of you who really want in, I just applied due to fee waiver. If they took me I'd probably have a heart attack.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:46 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I don't know if I'm happier with no hold and no admit, or if I'd be happier with a hold.

It's hard to judge, because they are not telling us what this category actually means. All it says is that you're still being actively considered,... which is what they've been doing since we go complete. It just seems like saying we're still pondering so don't badger us.

There is no actual update.

Until I hear otherwise, I am assuming I am in.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 pm

The DR what does it mean video cracks me up everytime. I died the first time I saw that

Spykuh

Postby Spykuh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 pm

VCE in the bay!!!! my dad said it was postmarked 1/31, but I will update with date confirmation whenever I see it. now to start the endless cls v. nyu debate!

akikaze

Postby akikaze » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:There is no actual update.

Agree and disagree; this deferral (which is essentially what we're seeing) is producing the desired effect: annoying those who have stellar stats/extras and were admitted to YHS (and who will withdraw, thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield); forcing the rest of us who are very interested to express our interest in concrete manners (thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield); and screening out those who might not have the stats/interest level/resources to get into and pay sticker at Columbia (thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield).

I mean, they may very well end up with a >50% yield using these tactics. I'd also point out that applicants who are held and withdraw or withdraw before any kind of decision push DOWN Columbia's acceptance rate (for no good reason) and make the school look more selective than it actually is.

Edit: I'd also note that they very interestingly phrased it as an "admissions decision", which (you're right) it isn't at all.
Last edited by akikaze on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:49 pm

Spykuh wrote:VCE in the bay!!!! my dad said it was postmarked 1/31, but I will update with date confirmation whenever I see it. now to start the endless cls v. nyu debate!

:shock:

^^ (for non held people aka not me)

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:51 pm

akikaze wrote:

Disagree; this deferral (which is essentially what we're seeing) is producing the desired effect: annoying those who have stellar stats/extras and were admitted to YHS (and who will withdraw, thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield); forcing the rest of us who are very interested to express our interest in concrete manners (thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield); and screening out those who might not have the stats/interest level/resources to get into and pay sticker at Columbia (thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield).

I mean, they may very well end up with a >50% yield using these tactics. I'd also point out that applicants who are held and withdraw or withdraw before any kind of decision push DOWN Columbia's acceptance rate (for no good reason) and make the school look more selective than it actually is.

I guess these manipulations are sort of inspiring lol. Well there's no update for people like me anywho. I'm still going to ride it till the end, or at least till april 1st. That's when I have accept at Canadian schools.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:52 pm

I really hope decisions trickle in between now and April and not towards the end of April.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:52 pm

CastleRock wrote:Until I hear otherwise, I am assuming I am in.

WIN!

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Confused7 wrote:I really hope decisions trickle in between now and April and not towards the end of April.

agreed.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Spykuh wrote:VCE in the bay!!!! my dad said it was postmarked 1/31, but I will update with date confirmation whenever I see it. now to start the endless cls v. nyu debate!

You need to post a photo or people will take you outback and shoot you. Some of us are hoping to see VCE since we weren't held.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:53 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Yeah who am I kidding? For us confuzzled applicants:

Form:

--LinkRemoved--

Spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=COCx7rcG

QF new page

QF new page, I join another group of forgotten! Hooray!

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:54 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:
Confused7 wrote:I really hope decisions trickle in between now and April and not towards the end of April.

agreed.

I'll make a point to ask them about this tomorrow, but I'm sure the answer will be "it's on a rolling basis, aka we're not going to tell you anything substantive." :/

Also for those people who are ultimately put on Reserve - is that the same as a waitlist? And if so, can Reserve people still defer?

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 pm

GraniteState wrote:No VCE, no email. DR.

And by DR, I mean "DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE SKY. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!"

I applaud this joke.

akikaze

Postby akikaze » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Confused7 wrote:
CosmoLaw wrote:

agreed.

I'll make a point to ask them about this tomorrow, but I'm sure the answer will be "it's on a rolling basis, aka we're not going to tell you anything substantive." :/

Also for those people who are ultimately put on Reserve - is that the same as a waitlist? And if so, can Reserve people still defer?

Reserve = waitlist, and no they can't defer.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 pm

akikaze wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
CosmoLaw wrote:

agreed.

Reserve = waitlist, and no they can't defer.

Ah, thanks. So I guess they're just sending out Holds now. Rejections and reserves come later.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Howdy, I also got held....for those of you who know me on tls you know my stats are not steller....

should I consider this as a sign to write a why columbia and supplement or would that be annoying????

akikaze

Postby akikaze » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:06 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:Howdy, I also got held....for those of you who know me on tls you know my stats are not steller....

should I consider this as a sign to write a why columbia and supplement or would that be annoying????

I don't think a LOCI will do anything for people whose stats are out of range. Great softs will help those below the 25th percentile on either GPA or LSAT (or even both), but a LOCI will (I think at least) likely only help those who have a good shot of being admitted anyway.

Could try it though.

Kswizzie

Postby Kswizzie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 pm

akikaze wrote:

Agree and disagree; this deferral (which is essentially what we're seeing) is producing the desired effect: annoying those who have stellar stats/extras and were admitted to YHS (and who will withdraw, thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield); forcing the rest of us who are very interested to express our interest in concrete manners (thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield); and screening out those who might not have the stats/interest level/resources to get into and pay sticker at Columbia (thereby protecting Columbia's acceptance rate and yield).

Edit: I'd also note that they very interestingly phrased it as an "admissions decision", which (you're right) it isn't at all.

IDK if this is a good explanation... Is this move really driven by USNEWS rank concerns. Can the admissions staff at Columbia really expect their rank to change. They must know that the chances of passing Stanford are slim just as slim are the chances of NYU or Chicago passing them.

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Kswizzie wrote:
akikaze wrote:

IDK if this is a good explanation... Is this move really driven by USNEWS rank concerns. Can the admissions staff at Columbia really expect their rank to change. They must know that the chances of passing Stanford are slim just as slim are the chances of NYU or Chicago passing them.

Perhaps these are just stabilizing tactics- necessary to maintain their present rank?

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:17 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:
Kswizzie wrote:
akikaze wrote:

Perhaps these are just stabilizing tactics- necessary to maintain their present rank?

There's still the absolute score to consider as well. I just can't really see any other reasonable explanation besides what Akikaze theorized, short of they sent the hold email to a wider audience than they intended.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:19 pm

In my mind, being "held" at Columbia purely means "we haven't lost your application." It's obviously not the acceptance people want, but it's in no way a bad sign in and of itself; you are still being actively considered. I wouldn't necessarily write a LOCI, especially if someone else is about to ask CLS admissions about whether those are helpful...but I guess it probably can't hurt.

Meanwhile, those of us who haven't been held (and who, like me, don't have amazing stats), are now consigned to wonder if they're making paper airplanes with our applications.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with CLS, or any office of admissions. All of this is purely conjecture that I made up because of my particular situation and a desire to rationalize the situation to my liking.

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:21 pm

Nothing here, praying to god that means a vce is on the way.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:21 pm

mel2010 wrote:In my mind, being "held" at Columbia purely means "we haven't lost your application." It's obviously not the acceptance people want, but it's in no way a bad sign in and of itself; you are still being actively considered. I wouldn't necessarily write a LOCI, especially if someone else is about to ask CLS admissions about whether those are helpful...but I guess it probably can't hurt.

Meanwhile, those of us who haven't been held (and who, like me, don't have amazing stats), are now consigned to wonder if they're making paper airplanes with our applications.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with CLS, or any office of admissions. All of this is purely conjecture that I made up because of my particular situation and a desire to rationalize the situation to my liking.

I'm interested in hearing what the person who is going to call tomorrow reports back. It may affect whether I write a LOCI.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”