Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dabbadon8

Silver

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by dabbadon8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 pm

AdamAndSteve wrote:Haha, lowest LSAT and GPA on that list. The URM force is strong with this one.

But, anyway, I'm going to go ahead and guess that this "forgotten" group is a waitlist group in the making considering the strength of the #s around me.
It looks that way I guess. Maybe an exception or two in there.

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
Knock wrote:
I see you are new to TLS.
forward wrote:Okay, this is NOT the place for a debate on what does or should matter to AdComms. It's pretty clear that with the avalanche of holds that something is up at CLS. We're trying to figure that out. CLS is historically quite numbers-based, but holds today went up and down the pool. Something deeper must be afoot. There are countless other threads to debate the merits of softs vs. numbers.
Credited.
hmmm... i believe the other guy and I were giving an explanation for the holds. your explanation is: i don't know - we're trying to figure that out. it must be a vast conspiracy... something deep and mysterious. no?

TrustMeI'mAnActress

Bronze

Post by TrustMeI'mAnActress » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:08 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
AdamAndSteve wrote:Haha, lowest LSAT and GPA on that list. The URM force is strong with this one.

But, anyway, I'm going to go ahead and guess that this "forgotten" group is a waitlist group in the making considering the strength of the #s around me.
It looks that way I guess. Maybe an exception or two in there.
I don't think we can knock this "forgotten" group quite yet. There are certainly strong numbers bundled in and the quality of non-numerical factors is unknown.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:09 pm

melamine wrote:hmmm... i believe the other guy and I were giving an explanation for the holds. your explanation is: i don't know - we're trying to figure that out. it must be a vast conspiracy... something deep and mysterious. no?
No, it's just cack handed bureaucracy.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:10 pm

melamine wrote:
hmmm... i believe the other guy and I were giving an explanation for the holds. your explanation is: i don't know - we're trying to figure that out. it must be a vast conspiracy... something deep and mysterious. no?
Actually, my explanation was that the blizzard caused snow-madness in the admissions office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Looks like I'm late to the party but held as well, 172/3.72. Wasn't expecting more than a waitlist and this doesnt really change that. GL to the rest of you.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:11 pm

melamine wrote: hmmm... i believe the other guy and I were giving an explanation for the holds. your explanation is: i don't know - we're trying to figure that out. it must be a vast conspiracy... something deep and mysterious. no?
So I looked at your profile and saw "No. 169, 3.75. Ivy. PhD, with really good extracurriculars"

So I'm wondering what great softs you have since what TLSers think are good softs aren't really. PM it if you want?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:15 pm

Can't catch up on everything but no hold email here and the package from yesterday was roomie's last textbook. Sigh.

easternstandardtime1

New

Post by easternstandardtime1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:16 pm

When LSAC sends out LSAT scores, it sometimes takes hours for the e-mail to arrive in someone's inbox (presumably because of the large number of e-mail recipients). Does anybody think that is happening here?

As in - are we safe for today as of 7:15 EST?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:16 pm

arism87 wrote:
melamine wrote: hmmm... i believe the other guy and I were giving an explanation for the holds. your explanation is: i don't know - we're trying to figure that out. it must be a vast conspiracy... something deep and mysterious. no?
So I looked at your profile and saw "No. 169, 3.75. Ivy. PhD, with really good extracurriculars"

So I'm wondering what great softs you have since what TLSers think are good softs aren't really. PM it if you want?
Uh - i didn't say my extracurriculars were good enough to get into Columbia - or that my scores were good enough to get into Columbia either, lol. I fully expect either a ding, or a hold at some point in the near future. Stay on task! (And fwiw - i'm pretty sure my LSAT and grades put me in the lower 25% of NYU - so it must have been softs).

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Yeah usually I would have no problem believing that maybe Columbia is magically holistic but I just dont see it.. seems like one of these 10ish other schools and scholarship committees wouldve figured it out by now. I dont have AMAZING softs but they are definitely solid at the very least.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:17 pm

melamine wrote:
arism87 wrote:

Uh - i didn't say my extracurriculars were good enough to get into Columbia - or that my scores were good enough to get into Columbia either, lol. I fully expect either a ding, or a hold at some point in the near future. Stay on task! (And fwiw - i'm pretty sure my LSAT and grades put me in the lower 25% of NYU - so it must have been softs).
That's cool, and congrats on NYU! Just wondered what good softs are, it seems to have changed..

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:19 pm

arism87 wrote:

arism, don't you think you are taking this a bit too far? i think we all get that being held is very disappointing but melamine was just trying to see the held situation from a different point of view. even melamine's interpretation of what good softs are, what s/he was saying was that in a sea of applicants with high numbers and softs like a MA, a job, etc. these softs are commonplace and doesn't set applicants apart from one another.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Is it wrong that seeing some rejections would make me feel better about being held?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:20 pm

rs2004 wrote:
arism87 wrote:

arism, don't you think you are taking this a bit too far? i think we all get that being held is very disappointing but melamine was just trying to see the held situation from a different point of view. even melamine's interpretation of what good softs are, what s/he was saying was that in a sea of applicants with high numbers and softs like a MA, a job, etc. these softs are commonplace and doesn't set applicants apart from one another.
She didn't exactly cuss him out or anything, she just asked a simple, reasonable question.

justhoping

Bronze

Post by justhoping » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:20 pm

easternstandardtime1 wrote:When LSAC sends out LSAT scores, it sometimes takes hours for the e-mail to arrive in someone's inbox (presumably because of the large number of e-mail recipients). Does anybody think that is happening here?

As in - are we safe for today as of 7:15 EST?
i didn't know those hold e-mails were sent through lsac, thought they were sent directly from adm. office?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 pm

WTF NO HOLD NO NOTHING?!?!?!!!!???? wrote: r6
dulcatis
justhoping
RJ127
absolutazn87
Philip_J_Fry
Kent M
TrustMeI'mAnActress
glitched
ahduth
pastadog
eskimo

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:22 pm

rs2004 wrote:
arism87 wrote:

I think it's a valid question, although an unnecessary one. And yes, I understand the argument. I just wanted to know what DOES set an applicant apart.

Anyway, I'll stop :)

easternstandardtime1

New

Post by easternstandardtime1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:22 pm

eskimo wrote:
dulcatis
justhoping
RJ127
absolutazn87
Philip_J_Fry
Kent M
TrustMeI'mAnActress
glitched
ahduth
pastadog
eskimo
+1

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm 168 3.75 with a hold

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:23 pm

eskimo wrote:
dulcatis
justhoping
RJ127
absolutazn87
Philip_J_Fry
Kent M
TrustMeI'mAnActress
glitched
ahduth
pastadog
eskimo
jtemp320
Am I doing it rite?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:24 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
eskimo wrote:
dulcatis
justhoping
RJ127
absolutazn87
Philip_J_Fry
Kent M
TrustMeI'mAnActress
glitched
ahduth
pastadog
eskimo
jtemp320
easternstandardtime1
Am I doing it rite?
yeah, you good.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:24 pm

arism87 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
arism87 wrote:

I think it's a valid question, although an unnecessary one. And yes, I understand the argument. I just wanted to know what DOES set an applicant apart.

who knows. but yea it is really dispiriting to see so many people with high numbers being held. it makes really little sense. columbia strikes again.

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:25 pm

arism87 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
arism87 wrote:

aaww, we coo, we coo.

alphagamma

Bronze

Post by alphagamma » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Held.

169/177, 4.0, complete in late November.

:(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”