Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby 4102011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:30 pm

So who wants to start the "I was seriously confused by Columbia" thread?

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby arism87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
If this is true, why admit 4.2s? (No offense to y'all, mega congrats)


Maybe they reviewed applications and made decisions BEFORE they realized how crappy this pool (ahem, present company excluded) is.

What, are they going to turn around a re-review the 3000 applications they already went through?

This looks like a panic move.


Perhaps. Just saying, if I were them, and in panic mode, my reaction would be LETS ADMIT ALL THE >4.3/4.4s THAT WE CAN ASAP, not LETS PISS EM ALL OFF WITH A FAKE DECISION EMAIL!

lol

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:30 pm

timmna wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:held at 5:52 EST...1st non-acceptance of the cycle. :cry:


Aw, sorry! A lot of URMs are being held though.


aw thanks, timmna! sorry about your hold, too. good luck!!....and good luck to everyone else, as well. today was rough.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby glitched » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:30 pm

i believed NY is closed for the day.

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby timmna » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:31 pm

I see a couple people on LSN are marking this as a WL.

logistikon
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby logistikon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:31 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
logistikon wrote:soooo are the hold e-mails done for the day? i'm a 4.375 so i don't consider myself an auto-ding sooooooooo WHY HAVE THEY NOT CONTACTED ME


Because your VCE is in the mail already?


you are a good friend :D

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Knock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:31 pm

I blame the blizzard. Perhaps it drove the admissions office into snow-madness.

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby eaa1537 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
If this is true, why admit 4.2s? (No offense to y'all, mega congrats)


Maybe they reviewed applications and made decisions BEFORE they realized how crappy this pool (ahem, present company excluded) is.

What, are they going to turn around a re-review the 3000 applications they already went through?

This looks like a panic move.


if it's a panic move shouldn't they be ADMITTING the qualified applicants and maybe offering Hamiltons or Butlers to those who they feel have acceptances to HYS??

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 pm

dulcatis wrote:So who wants to start the "I was seriously confused by Columbia" thread?

I kinda wanted to keep it all here

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby 4102011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 pm

arism87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
If this is true, why admit 4.2s? (No offense to y'all, mega congrats)


Maybe they reviewed applications and made decisions BEFORE they realized how crappy this pool (ahem, present company excluded) is.

What, are they going to turn around a re-review the 3000 applications they already went through?

This looks like a panic move.


Yeah, this probably doesn't...endear CLS to anyone.



Perhaps. Just saying, if I were them, and in panic mode, my reaction would be LETS ADMIT ALL THE >4.3/4.4s THAT WE CAN ASAP, not LETS PISS EM ALL OFF WITH A FAKE DECISION EMAIL!

glitched wrote:i believed NY is closed for the day.


I WISH. Got to walk to school this morning on a bunch of ice. WAS SUPER FUN.

edited for quotefail
Last edited by 4102011 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 pm

arism87 wrote:
Perhaps. Just saying, if I were them, and in panic mode, my reaction would be LETS ADMIT ALL THE >4.3/4.4s THAT WE CAN ASAP, not LETS PISS EM ALL OFF WITH A FAKE DECISION EMAIL!

lol


Come on! Don't think for a moment that there are not >1500 LOCIs being written right now!

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Imagine cls really was reading this thread.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Perhaps. Just saying, if I were them, and in panic mode, my reaction would be LETS ADMIT ALL THE >4.3/4.4s THAT WE CAN ASAP, not LETS PISS EM ALL OFF WITH A FAKE DECISION EMAIL!

lol


Come on! Don't think for a moment that there are not >1500 LOCIs being written right now!

Nah fuck that philly. Im not writing a damn thing. I know you were kidding but im serious
Last edited by thecilent on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby arism87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Perhaps. Just saying, if I were them, and in panic mode, my reaction would be LETS ADMIT ALL THE >4.3/4.4s THAT WE CAN ASAP, not LETS PISS EM ALL OFF WITH A FAKE DECISION EMAIL!

lol


Come on! Don't think for a moment that there are not >1500 LOCIs being written right now!


Lol. If i had those numbers and had been admitted to YHS, I'm pretty sure Columbia would've lost me tonight.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:34 pm

timmna wrote:I see a couple people on LSN are marking this as a WL.


I put it as D? I didn't know what to put it. Sure feels like a waitlist though.

somewhere
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby somewhere » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:I see you are new to TLS.


Well, "new" is relative; I've been around long enough at least to see that there's a very broad belief here that LSAT/GPA account for everything.

And while, looking at LSN's scatterplots, it sure does seem that admissions departments exaggerate how holistic they are (or, just as likely: TLS/LSN's self-selection bias makes it appear that way), I've hardly seen any threads on TLS that don't have case after case of people acting shocked about one decision or another which actually aren't terribly shocking if you believe what admissions departments actually say. How many times should we be shocked before we question our assumptions?

It is surprising, for sure, how many people with high numbers have been held today. I bet quite a few of them will actually get in eventually. But none of this seems shocking to me. Why did some of these people get held when somebody with sub-4.2 index get accepted? Because the latter person had a more compelling application to the admissions people at Columbia, despite lower numbers. This is not shocking.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby 4102011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:34 pm

arism87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Perhaps. Just saying, if I were them, and in panic mode, my reaction would be LETS ADMIT ALL THE >4.3/4.4s THAT WE CAN ASAP, not LETS PISS EM ALL OFF WITH A FAKE DECISION EMAIL!

lol


Come on! Don't think for a moment that there are not >1500 LOCIs being written right now!


Lol. If i had those numbers and had been admitted to YHS, I'm pretty sure Columbia would've lost me tonight.


It's just asking for people to go and fall in love with another school :/

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm

thecilent wrote:Imagine cls really was reading this thread.


Image

plurilingue
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby plurilingue » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm

.
Last edited by plurilingue on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
thecilent wrote:Imagine cls really was reading this thread.


Image

lol

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm

somewhere wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I see you are new to TLS.


Well, "new" is relative; I've been around long enough at least to see that there's a very broad belief here that LSAT/GPA account for everything.

And while, looking at LSN's scatterplots, it sure does seem that admissions departments exaggerate how holistic they are (or, just as likely: TLS/LSN's self-selection bias makes it appear that way), I've hardly seen any threads on TLS that don't have case after case of people acting shocked about one decision or another which actually aren't terribly shocking if you believe what admissions departments actually say. How many times should we be shocked before we question our assumptions?

It is surprising, for sure, how many people with high numbers have been held today. I bet quite a few of them will actually get in eventually. But none of this seems shocking to me. Why did some of these people get held when somebody with sub-4.2 index get accepted? Because the latter person had a more compelling application to the admissions people at Columbia, despite lower numbers. This is not shocking.


I want to strike out everything you have written, but I guess you're right.

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby timmna » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
timmna wrote:I see a couple people on LSN are marking this as a WL.


I put it as D? I didn't know what to put it. Sure feels like a waitlist though.


I just added it to my comments section. Which is starting to resemble a suicide note.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:36 pm

So.... is no news bad news? I am wondering if my joint degree application is keeping me out of the fray, or if I am already in the "reserve" pile.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby arism87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:37 pm

thecilent wrote:
somewhere wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I see you are new to TLS.


Well, "new" is relative; I've been around long enough at least to see that there's a very broad belief here that LSAT/GPA account for everything.

And while, looking at LSN's scatterplots, it sure does seem that admissions departments exaggerate how holistic they are (or, just as likely: TLS/LSN's self-selection bias makes it appear that way), I've hardly seen any threads on TLS that don't have case after case of people acting shocked about one decision or another which actually aren't terribly shocking if you believe what admissions departments actually say. How many times should we be shocked before we question our assumptions?

It is surprising, for sure, how many people with high numbers have been held today. I bet quite a few of them will actually get in eventually. But none of this seems shocking to me. Why did some of these people get held when somebody with sub-4.2 index get accepted? Because the latter person had a more compelling application to the admissions people at Columbia, despite lower numbers. This is not shocking.


I want to strike out everything you have written, but I guess you're right.


pffft! What's "shocking" is that those applications would be so much more compelling than these tons of held people with super high numbers! I feel like if people have that great of an application they are probably aware of it and would share with TLS, right? (Not that we'd listen..)

Edit: again, sorry to those I'm referring to, I'm happy for you and we all know the numbers game is pretty silly in reality
Last edited by arism87 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:37 pm

somewhere wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I see you are new to TLS.


Well, "new" is relative; I've been around long enough at least to see that there's a very broad belief here that LSAT/GPA account for everything.

And while, looking at LSN's scatterplots, it sure does seem that admissions departments exaggerate how holistic they are (or, just as likely: TLS/LSN's self-selection bias makes it appear that way), I've hardly seen any threads on TLS that don't have case after case of people acting shocked about one decision or another which actually aren't terribly shocking if you believe what admissions departments actually say. How many times should we be shocked before we question our assumptions?

It is surprising, for sure, how many people with high numbers have been held today. I bet quite a few of them will actually get in eventually. But none of this seems shocking to me. Why did some of these people get held when somebody with sub-4.2 index get accepted? Because the latter person had a more compelling application to the admissions people at Columbia, despite lower numbers. This is not shocking.


I have a most compelling application. Well I am not held yet... Hmmm




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, Baidu [Spider], canafsa, carlos_danger, Cfitz, christinaxcarrie, curry1, Google Adsense [Bot], guybourdin, hammy393, joezze, lawschool2017712, Maaza, notausername, Photomike2, pleaseclassof2020, proteinshake, sec_undergrad, ssolli, Torres1893 and 27 guests