Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby 4102011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 pm

thecilent wrote:
hiddenfist wrote:I've given up on the hunt for a VCE. If it comes, it comes, but I am no longer going to stalk the mail carrier.

This is exactly where I am at this point. I actually forgot to check my mail yesterday, and ran outside at midnight to check.. of course there was no vce, but still, the point is I'm not obsessing anymore.

Yeah same. I still check it once a day, but it's not like, "SO EXCITED TO RUN HOME AND CHECK!!" it's like, "oh I guess I should check. Oh hey look, nothing there. I wonder what's for dinner...?"

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:18 pm

dulcatis wrote:
thecilent wrote:
hiddenfist wrote:I've given up on the hunt for a VCE. If it comes, it comes, but I am no longer going to stalk the mail carrier.

This is exactly where I am at this point. I actually forgot to check my mail yesterday, and ran outside at midnight to check.. of course there was no vce, but still, the point is I'm not obsessing anymore.

Yeah same. I still check it once a day, but it's not like, "SO EXCITED TO RUN HOME AND CHECK!!" it's like, "oh I guess I should check. Oh hey look, nothing there. I wonder what's for dinner...?"

lol Exactlyy

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:21 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:
thecilent wrote:You get fee waivers because they want as many people (esp URM) to apply as possible. If you fit what they're looking for, then terrific for you and them. If not, well then terrific for them (Y%).

It's not really that hard, people.

Very true, but so far I've gotten into every school ive gotten a fee waiver from, including UChicago and Cornell, so I'mma go for it.

That makes me feel better about my Cornell fee waiver not being an elaborate yield scheme. But looking back at my fee waivers, I've also gotten in everywhere that I had a fee waiver from so far. Granted, I haven't heard from my "reach" fee waiver schools (Cornell and WUSTL), but still... Worth a shot. To me, $12 is way worth not having to wonder a few months/years down the road if it would have made a difference.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Columbia didn't give me a waiver & told me that if I qualified, they'd e-mail me.

I guess that's where our troubles started :cry:

jamie9248922

Postby jamie9248922 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 pm

I just got an e-mail right now from Columbia offering me a fee waiver...My stats aren't nearly good enough, but I am a URM. I wonder if they simply want me to drive their acceptance rate down. What do you guys thinks?

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 pm

kjadkins wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:
thecilent wrote:You get fee waivers because they want as many people (esp URM) to apply as possible. If you fit what they're looking for, then terrific for you and them. If not, well then terrific for them (Y%).

Very true, but so far I've gotten into every school ive gotten a fee waiver from, including UChicago and Cornell, so I'mma go for it.

That makes me feel better about my Cornell fee waiver not being an elaborate yield scheme. But looking back at my fee waivers, I've also gotten in everywhere that I had a fee waiver from so far. Granted, I haven't heard from my "reach" fee waiver schools (Cornell and WUSTL), but still... Worth a shot. To me, $12 is way worth not having to wonder a few months/years down the road if it would have made a difference.

that's great... i got WLed at UVA after a fee waiver... am still pissed off about tht...

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Just got a fee waiver as well :P But will not apply at this time of course :D

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:29 pm

SentinelsOfEvil wrote:that's great... i got WLed at UVA after a fee waiver... am still pissed off about tht...

Ugh. I WISH i was WLed at UVA :(

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Just checked and there's nothing. That stuff NYU is supposedly sending isn't here either. If the NYU thing shows up before the Columbia thing then I officially give up, but at this point I just don't care.

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:36 pm

kjadkins wrote:
SentinelsOfEvil wrote:that's great... i got WLed at UVA after a fee waiver... am still pissed off about tht...

Ugh. I WISH i was WLed at UVA :(

If only I could transfer my WL, I would... Good luck with all your apps...

I entered this cycle extremely cynically... I thought every school was after a ranking increase... Since I'm an international student, my GPA doesn't count against the school averages... I thought my 179 LSAT would get me easily into every place other than HYS... A Berkeley rejection and a Chicago and UVA WL showed me that this is not entirely true...

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:36 pm

kjadkins wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:

That is my reasoning. I know Columbia will likely laugh my application all the way to the garbage can, but I think a hail mary is worth the $12

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:38 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:

That is my reasoning. I know Columbia will likely laugh my application all the way to the garbage can, but I think a hail mary is worth the $12

If they gave you a fee waiver, they won't laugh at your app... You definitely must apply if you have a fee waiver...

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:12 pm

So I guess it's about time for me to consider the following....Does CLS email or snail mail holds/denials/reserves? :?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Confused7 wrote:So I guess it's about time for me to consider the following....Does CLS email or snail mail holds/denials/reserves? :?

Sounds like email from their blog post. Especially reserve and hold because they are not final decisions, more like an update.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Confused7 wrote:So I guess it's about time for me to consider the following....Does CLS email or snail mail holds/denials/reserves? :?

Sounds like email from their blog post. Especially reserve and hold because they are not final decisions, more like an update.

THANK GOD for email, lol. Swift blow. Also consensus that hold is better than reserve? One is supposed to hear back by April and the other by May.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm

Wonder if I can get an app fee refund, since they are doing another wave of waivers (heh)? Impossible, I know, but I'm a little bitter that because I was ED the only decision I got was CLS's, and they would almost definitely have given me a waiver in this round *grumbles about wasted money*.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:19 pm

just wondering, has ANYONE in FL or the southeast in general received a VCE yet?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:24 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:just wondering, has ANYONE in FL or the southeast in general received a VCE yet?

Yes.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:26 pm

thecilent wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:just wondering, has ANYONE in FL or the southeast in general received a VCE yet?

Yes.

:( haha ok thanks

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:28 pm

thecilent wrote:

Yes.

What if we refine this to just, has anyone in FL received a VCE yet?

Seems like a lot of Floridians had not as of a few days ago.

bendurnotes4me

Postby bendurnotes4me » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:34 pm

Yeah I asked this a few pages back - I still haven't seen anyone on TLS or LSN from Florida with a VCE. And we didn't have any snow!

ExpectLess wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Yes.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:36 pm

bendurnotes4me wrote:Yeah I asked this a few pages back - I still haven't seen anyone on TLS or LSN from Florida with a VCE. And we didn't have any snow!

ExpectLess wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Yes.

hope! :D

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 pm

ExpectLess wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Yes.

I know one person who has a vce in fl. I'm not sure other than that one, though

bendurnotes4me

Postby bendurnotes4me » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:42 pm

thecilent wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Yes.

Do you know where this person is located in Florida?

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 pm

thecilent wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Yes.

What's a VCE?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”