Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:18 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Knock wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
I agree with all of this. Although I'm very tempted to email them like jd2014 did to try and gauge if I can expect a positive soonish future or a not-so-positive a couple week's off future...


Don't do it lawmonkey!!!!


Haha I'm definitely not! I just find it tempting. I wouldn't even know what to ask.


Haha- don't do it! 1) I had a legit reason to email and 2) I would actually prefer that they hadn't mentioned that couple of weeks thing (I didn't ask!)... believe me, the pain is not worth having slightly more information about your possible decision. It hurts, it hurts real bad.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby law_monkey » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 pm

jd2014! wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Knock wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
I agree with all of this. Although I'm very tempted to email them like jd2014 did to try and gauge if I can expect a positive soonish future or a not-so-positive a couple week's off future...


Don't do it lawmonkey!!!!


Haha I'm definitely not! I just find it tempting. I wouldn't even know what to ask.


Haha- don't do it! 1) I had a legit reason to email and 2) I would actually prefer that they hadn't mentioned that couple of weeks thing (I didn't ask!)... believe me, the pain is not worth having slightly more information about your possible decision. It hurts, it hurts real bad.


:( There's still the possibility that you're a part of the next wave that we all KNOW is coming.

ETA: Maybe they just want to make extra positive that the weather calms down so they're holding off on sending anything else since there've been so many problems with lost VCEs. People who got the binder first had to have been calling in about that. I know, I know - speculative post is speculative. Let a girl dream!

User avatar
CosmoLaw
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby CosmoLaw » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:21 pm

you may be in that wave too lawmonkey! There are too many of us still hanging about. There's got to be an answer!

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 pm

law_monkey wrote:
jd2014! wrote:
Haha- don't do it! 1) I had a legit reason to email and 2) I would actually prefer that they hadn't mentioned that couple of weeks thing (I didn't ask!)... believe me, the pain is not worth having slightly more information about your possible decision. It hurts, it hurts real bad.


:( There's still the possibility that you're a part of the next wave that we all KNOW is coming.


TITCR :D


I like your thinking.

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:25 pm

Were there this many flabbergasted people left after the first wave last year? I mean, it stands to reason that every year there will be people who are left without an acceptance who numbers-wise are there, or otherwise believed they at least had a solid chance. So, do we have an unusually large number of those people hanging around this year to lend credence to the thought that there will be a second wave? Oh, and we already know that they are emailing some decisions for the first time ever, so maybe they are switching it up in other ways, too. Hm... trying to cling to fading hope.

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby starrydreamz3 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 pm

jd2014! wrote:Were there this many flabbergasted people left after the first wave last year? I mean, it stands to reason that every year there will be people who are left without an acceptance who numbers-wise are there, or otherwise believed they at least had a solid chance. So, do we have an unusually large number of those people hanging around this year to lend credence to the thought that there will be a second wave? Oh, and we already know that they are emailing some decisions for the first time ever, so maybe they are switching it up in other ways, too. Hm... trying to cling to fading hope.


Last year on LSN there were over 2 full pages of acceptances, so far there isn't even 1 full page. I assume there should still be more to come.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
Last year on LSN there were over 2 full pages of acceptances, so far there isn't even 1 full page. I assume there should still be more to come.


Since YLS ding letters are in the mail this Friday, I don't know to look forward to mail or to dodge it. Worst case scenario: upchuck upon seeing the little white envelope.

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby whathojeeves » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:00 am

r6_philly wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
Last year on LSN there were over 2 full pages of acceptances, so far there isn't even 1 full page. I assume there should still be more to come.


Since YLS ding letters are in the mail this Friday, I don't know to look forward to mail or to dodge it. Worst case scenario: upchuck upon seeing the little white envelope.


I mean, if that's the plan, then you're definitely winding up with a VCE. End result: SCORE.

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby mel2010 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 am

starrydreamz3 wrote:
jd2014! wrote:Were there this many flabbergasted people left after the first wave last year? I mean, it stands to reason that every year there will be people who are left without an acceptance who numbers-wise are there, or otherwise believed they at least had a solid chance. So, do we have an unusually large number of those people hanging around this year to lend credence to the thought that there will be a second wave? Oh, and we already know that they are emailing some decisions for the first time ever, so maybe they are switching it up in other ways, too. Hm... trying to cling to fading hope.


Last year on LSN there were over 2 full pages of acceptances, so far there isn't even 1 full page. I assume there should still be more to come.


I agree, and LSN from last year also shows notifications slowing down to a trickle 1/26-2/8, followed by a big wave of mixed results 2/9-2/19. Then, in mid/late March, another little burst of acceptances (mostly 170-175 / 3.6-3.8 ranges). So if that's any indication (and who knows if it is) then I'd expect a few more VCEs in the next couple weeks and then a mini-wave in March.

That's a long time to wait... :?

padthai
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby padthai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:30 am

mel2010 wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
jd2014! wrote:Were there this many flabbergasted people left after the first wave last year? I mean, it stands to reason that every year there will be people who are left without an acceptance who numbers-wise are there, or otherwise believed they at least had a solid chance. So, do we have an unusually large number of those people hanging around this year to lend credence to the thought that there will be a second wave? Oh, and we already know that they are emailing some decisions for the first time ever, so maybe they are switching it up in other ways, too. Hm... trying to cling to fading hope.


Last year on LSN there were over 2 full pages of acceptances, so far there isn't even 1 full page. I assume there should still be more to come.


I agree, and LSN from last year also shows notifications slowing down to a trickle 1/26-2/8, followed by a big wave of mixed results 2/9-2/19. Then, in mid/late March, another little burst of acceptances (mostly 170-175 / 3.6-3.8 ranges). So if that's any indication (and who knows if it is) then I'd expect a few more VCEs in the next couple weeks and then a mini-wave in March.

That's a long time to wait... :?


Oh God...a LONG wait. This whole process is so emotionally and physically draining :( Hang in there everyone

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 am

HOPE monster!!!!!!!!! (this profile is great- works for CLS and HLS) :


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/georgina

User avatar
whatshouldIdo11
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby whatshouldIdo11 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:49 am

I just received a fee waiver from Columbia, which is strange to me this late in the cycle. Are they down on applicants this year? If I applied now, would I actually have a chance of acceptance? 167/174, 3.91

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:50 am

whatshouldIdo11 wrote:I just received a fee waiver from Columbia, which is strange to me this late in the cycle. Are they down on applicants this year? If I applied now, would I actually have a chance of acceptance? 167/174, 3.91


Yes, do it!

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby champsound » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:53 am

whatshouldIdo11 wrote:I just received a fee waiver from Columbia, which is strange to me this late in the cycle. Are they down on applicants this year? If I applied now, would I actually have a chance of acceptance? 167/174, 3.91


you might as well apply to HYS now, your stats seem very competitive.

User avatar
whatshouldIdo11
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby whatshouldIdo11 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:56 am

Alright, if you say so! (It astonishes me how quickly people respond on these forums, lol)

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:00 pm

whatshouldIdo11 wrote:Alright, if you say so! (It astonishes me how quickly people respond on these forums, lol)

Well some of us live here (mostly r6)

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:02 pm

jd2014! wrote:HOPE monster!!!!!!!!! (this profile is great- works for CLS and HLS) :


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/georgina


It is uplifting to see that her LSAT was accepted a little later in the game.
It is downlifting to see her LSAT.

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby DorianGray89 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:06 pm

Just got a waiver as well. I'm a URM with low numbers for Columbia, no idea why I got it. Going to apply, but I know it's a long shot.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:11 pm

CastleRock wrote:
whatshouldIdo11 wrote:Alright, if you say so! (It astonishes me how quickly people respond on these forums, lol)

Well some of us live here (mostly r6)


Not really because I missed 2 posts. But out of the many computer screens in front of me right now, one has TLS on it most of the time.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:13 pm

You get fee waivers because they want as many people (esp URM) to apply as possible. If you fit what they're looking for, then terrific for you and them. If not, well then terrific for them (Y%).

It's not really that hard, people.

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:14 pm

law_monkey wrote:
jd2014! wrote:HOPE monster!!!!!!!!! (this profile is great- works for CLS and HLS) :


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/georgina


It is uplifting to see that her LSAT was accepted a little later in the game.
It is downlifting to see her LSAT.



True.. there are a couple of other examples that I found uplifting (choosing, of course, to focus on the outliers rather than the general bloodbath for Sept/Oct apps after today). I am much too lazy to post those though. Suffice it to say there are people (even those with low to mid-range numbers, 3.6-3.7, 170-174) who applied between Sept and November and got some love as late as March. I am delusional at this point.

User avatar
hiddenfist
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby hiddenfist » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:15 pm

Ran to the mailbox this morning to find nothing behind the packet from Georgetown.

I've given up on the hunt for a VCE. If it comes, it comes, but I am no longer going to stalk the mail carrier.

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby DorianGray89 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:15 pm

thecilent wrote:You get fee waivers because they want as many people (esp URM) to apply as possible. If you fit what they're looking for, then terrific for you and them. If not, well then terrific for them (Y%).

It's not really that hard, people.


Very true, but so far I've gotten into every school ive gotten a fee waiver from, including UChicago and Cornell, so I'mma go for it.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:16 pm

hiddenfist wrote:I've given up on the hunt for a VCE. If it comes, it comes, but I am no longer going to stalk the mail carrier.

This is exactly where I am at this point. I actually forgot to check my mail yesterday, and ran outside at midnight to check.. of course there was no vce, but still, the point is I'm not obsessing anymore.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:
thecilent wrote:You get fee waivers because they want as many people (esp URM) to apply as possible. If you fit what they're looking for, then terrific for you and them. If not, well then terrific for them (Y%).

It's not really that hard, people.


Very true, but so far I've gotten into every school ive gotten a fee waiver from, including UChicago and Cornell, so I'mma go for it.

Oh, I meant in no way not to go for it. Fee waivers = win.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”