Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WestOfTheRest

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:14 pm

I wish columbia would just tell me on the phone if they have sent me anything. I also wish they would just make a clear statement as to whether or not they are sending emails to canadians

ACcommando

Postby ACcommando » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:15 pm

camelcrema wrote:
ACcommando wrote:Received a letter of admission with Butler Fellowship in DC today, dated 1/24 and postmarked 1/25. The Admitted Student Handbook came on Saturday though.

Congrats! Are you leaning towards Columbia w/Butler, or Yale?

Thanks! Probably Yale, but I'm going to have to think about it.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:15 pm

moxiepostulate wrote:Zilch. Got the letter from NYU postmarked on the 28th. Hopes are feeling rather substantially dashed right about now.

May need to begin the classic socal debate of NYU v. Berkeley, haha.

Yeah my internal NYU v. Penn debate has been playing in my head for a few months now. I just want my ding so I can officially cross CLS off my list. (Insert pouty face smiley).

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:17 pm

I wish they would realize these are our LIVES they're affecting. Some of us have to make travel plans, figure out where we're taking families next year, weigh our options, etc. I can understand a school taking the time to make decisions, but once those decisions are made they need to put aside their pride in an outdated method of notification and LET US KNOW.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:18 pm

GULC package, no VCE. Lalalalala.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:23 pm

eskimo wrote:I wish they would realize these are our LIVES they're affecting. Some of us have to make travel plans, figure out where we're taking families next year, weigh our options, etc. I can understand a school taking the time to make decisions, but once those decisions are made they need to put aside their pride in an outdated method of notification and LET US KNOW.

This. Although the adcomms aren't dumb and depending on the school might include current students, so I'm sure they do realize that a lot of decisions are at stake here. But their persistence in the use snail mail is very frustrating.

camelcrema

Postby camelcrema » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:24 pm

eskimo wrote:I wish they would realize these are our LIVES they're affecting. Some of us have to make travel plans, figure out where we're taking families next year, weigh our options, etc. I can understand a school taking the time to make decisions, but once those decisions are made they need to put aside their pride in an outdated method of notification and LET US KNOW.

Weren't you dead set on Chicago?

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:26 pm

Penn acceptance letter, no GULC package, no VCE
...my dad commented, "You know most people would smile if they got an acceptance letter from Penn Law." haha definitely helped to put all of this into perspective. regardless of whether or not we get VCEs, all of us have already been accepted into really really great schools!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:27 pm

camelcrema wrote:

This wasn't directed at me, but I think that a lot of us who are in love with certain schools still want to visit the other ones before crossing them off our lists. Sometimes the visit can be very influential in the decision making process, so it'd be great to be able to buy plane tickets now if it's necessary. And the people with families need to bring the whole list of options to the table so that SOs know what they might expect.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:34 pm

Not to derail the current direction of this thread, but has someone created an "In at Columbia" thread yet? Or are we going to be doing the Q&A's on ASW, traveling to NY, etc. on the FB page?

GraniteState

Postby GraniteState » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:39 pm

Confused7 wrote:
ugbadger wrote:I just received a fall grade request email from Columbia. First of all, it seems really strange that they would wait this long to ask me (especially considering I already sent an update to LSAC).

Do you think this is a good or bad sign for being admitted? Also, what sort of impact does this have on when I will hear a decision. I got the impression that this was going to be the last big week for admissions and then mostly WL/rejections after that.

When did you go complete? I think you're one of the first RDers to get the request. Was it through email?

I'm an RDer, got a fall grades request by email in early December. Still no VCE.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:41 pm

law_monkey wrote:
camelcrema wrote:Weren't you dead set on Chicago?

This wasn't directed at me, but I think that a lot of us who are in love with certain schools still want to visit the other ones before crossing them off our lists. Sometimes the visit can be very influential in the decision making process, so it'd be great to be able to buy plane tickets now if it's necessary. And the people with families need to bring the whole list of options to the table so that SOs know what they might expect.

I hope you are not like this when it comes to finding a mate. :lol:

Monkeys are supposed to be loyal creatures.

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:43 pm

law_monkey wrote:
camelcrema wrote:

I know, right? I was dead set on NYU, until I visited Columbia's website, and signed up. They asked me if they were my number one choice, and I realized that Hey! They were!

(That was a joke. There are obviously a thousand ways you can be influenced to change your mind, and if you're lucky enough to have a few options, why not check them all out to the fullest?)

vertex

Postby vertex » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:49 pm

jman77 wrote:Not to derail the current direction of this thread, but has someone created an "In at Columbia" thread yet? Or are we going to be doing the Q&A's on ASW, traveling to NY, etc. on the FB page?

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=139512

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
camelcrema wrote:Weren't you dead set on Chicago?

I hope you are not like this when it comes to finding a mate. :lol:

Monkeys are supposed to be loyal creatures.

:lol: :lol: :lol: What??? FWIW I think that choosing a law school and choosing a spouse are two completely different things that have waaaayyy different approaches. But that was a way hilarious comment. Also, you've been flirting around with other schools too, so don't even pretend like you're a set-in-stone Penn guy.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:57 pm

law_monkey wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: What??? FWIW I think that choosing a law school and choosing a spouse are two completely different things that have waaaayyy different approaches. But that was a way hilarious comment. Also, you've been flirting around with other schools too, so don't even pretend like you're a set-in-stone Penn guy.

See but I am a Penn guy. I never passed myself off as a Penn Law guy. :wink:

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Well then I hope that we both end up at Penn so we can be study buddies since you are clearly a master of the loophole.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:05 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Well then I hope that we both end up at Penn so we can be study buddies since you are clearly a master of the loophole.

I will cause a commotion while you run around and steal wallets from the crowd.

(it's a monkey reference) :D

camelcrema

Postby camelcrema » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:05 pm

This thread needs pictures of Columbia that do not look severe and sterile. I like these (but they are not mine, so I am hesitant to post them in the law school pictures thread):

Edited for image fail.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

I will cause a commotion while you run around and steal wallets from the crowd.

(it's a monkey reference) :D

Haha pretty sure I want to study the law, not break it.

Also, I just checked my mail and got an invite to the NYU ASWs with a cute little map that was postmarked 1/28. So anything coming from NYC earlier than that definitely would have reached me by now. :(

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm

law_monkey wrote: Also, I just checked my mail and got an invite to the NYU ASWs with a cute little map that was postmarked 1/28. So anything coming from NYC earlier than that definitely would have reached me by now. :(

Further proof the mail is weird. I haven't gotten that yet and I'm on the same coast as NYU...

On the subject of NYC related mail, something from Brooklyn postmarked 1/24 arrived in my mailbox today so maybe there is still hope for VCEs from last week.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:31 pm

law_monkey wrote:

Also, I just checked my mail and got an invite to the NYU ASWs with a cute little map that was postmarked 1/28. So anything coming from NYC earlier than that definitely would have reached me by now. :(

I gave up earlier today, so I am actually in a good mood. I am more concerned about scholarship from Penn and/or matching now. Have HYS at the back of my mind but I am moving to the selection process now.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

I gave up earlier today, so I am actually in a good mood. I am more concerned about scholarship from Penn and/or matching now. Have HYS at the back of my mind but I am moving to the selection process now.

That's where I am. My life would be perfect right now if only I had a Penn portfolio to flip through!!! :D

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:34 pm

law_monkey wrote:

YES! Thanks! I've been dying to know what it was (my dad said something came from NYU but isn't answering to tell me what it is lol) Mystery solved!

But yeah, sad about no VCE here too

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:35 pm

arism87 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

YES! Thanks! I've been dying to know what it was (my dad said something came from NYU but isn't answering to tell me what it is lol) Mystery solved!

But yeah, sad about no VCE here too

Haha I just answered your question in the NYU thread.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”