Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
miracle2011

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby miracle2011 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:36 pm

mel2010 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
ugbadger wrote:I just received a fall grade request email from Columbia. First of all, it seems really strange that they would wait this long to ask me (especially considering I already sent an update to LSAC).

Do you think this is a good or bad sign for being admitted? Also, what sort of impact does this have on when I will hear a decision. I got the impression that this was going to be the last big week for admissions and then mostly WL/rejections after that.

When did you go complete? I think you're one of the first RDers to get the request. Was it through email?

I went complete 12/15, RD, and got a grade request on 1/5. Nothing since then...I took it as a relatively good sign though, at least if your new grades are as good or better as your prior levels.

I am RD went complete late September and got a grade request 1/20. However it was weird because my LSAC said that Columbia had requested my updated grade report on 1/19. Maybe they just have a slow system?

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:40 pm

So maybe their slow system is preventing them for accepting all of us because they haven't gotten our most recent updates yet? And the people who applied on or after us who got their VCEs just happened to have all their info in? .....:D

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:50 pm

I just wish that they would at least have an NYU-esque "Decision letter sent" status update...I can somewhat understand wanting a more climactic notification than an e-mail, but at least then I wouldn't have to check my mail twice a day every day until potentially April. Bah!

blanknow

Postby blanknow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:05 pm

got my admitted students binder but no VCE? weird...

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:06 pm

blanknow wrote:got my admitted students binder but no VCE? weird...

Congrats! You're not the first. Maybe some VCEs have been lost.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:07 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
blanknow wrote:got my admitted students binder but no VCE? weird...

Congrats! You're not the first. Maybe some VCEs have been lost.

Location?
Postmark date?
Submit/UR date?

Congrats! And I apologize for badgering you, but I figured I'd get it out of the way.

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:17 pm

I too (St. Louis, submitted mid-October, 4.8 index) got an admitted students binder but no VCE! What is happening?

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:19 pm

jdstl wrote:I too (St. Louis, submitted mid-October, 4.8 index) got an admitted students binder but no VCE! What is happening?

Maybe they're sending an old school telegram to you?
that would be fun

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:21 pm

jdstl wrote:I too (St. Louis, submitted mid-October, 4.8 index) got an admitted students binder but no VCE! What is happening?

The letters are being lost by the NYC postal system due to the weather.

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:25 pm

ahduth wrote:

Awesome. Well, I know I'm in but have no idea if I got any scholly. More waiting...

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:31 pm

jdstl wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Awesome. Well, I know I'm in but have no idea if I got any scholly. More waiting...

I'd call the admissions office and ask them about the scholly with that index (phrasing it somewhat politically lol). If you have the binder, it's like... enough with the goofball Ivy League protocol, I need to make a business decision here.

GinaTheresa

Postby GinaTheresa » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:34 pm

ahduth wrote:
annie2010 wrote:
GinaTheresa wrote:This comparison of NYU vs Columbia is actually really helpful! Can you guys also start a comparison of NYCity vs Berkeley? :)

I checked that topic from previous years, but the thread got totally derailed. I don't know much about New York City or Northern CA, and I'm planning to visit both, but just from a quality-of-life standpoint, I'd love to hear other opinions. . . . (please??)

I have lived in Berkeley and now I live in NYC and from a quality of life standpoint Berkeley wins in my book by far. Quality of life there is just great in general. That being said, Columbia was still my first choice and I think its a stronger school than Berkeley (although Berkeley is absolutely a great school). I also find Morningside Heights to be a very livable place and much more mangable than other parts of the city. It's a more family friendly area, a little quieter, safe and great parks so I really enjoy it.
Please PM me if you have specific questions!

Yeah some of the people who came to NYU from northern California had a hard time of it, didn't really like New York at first. Not so much the people from LA though, I dunno. Downtown versus Morningside is definitely a personal preference thing - I like downtown for a lot of very reasons it's not as quiet or family-friendly. I want a lot of bars, clubs, coffeeshops, art galleries, theatres, restaurants, delis, people, people and people. All the noise and activity can be a culture-shock, and some people thrive on it, some people hate it.

edit: NYU is also closer to Brooklyn and all the stuff going on there too.

Great - thank you! I'm in Chicago now, so I'm imagining NYC as pretty similar - just more extreme in every way. Bigger, more snow, more crowded, more crime, etc. But also more to do, and more to see. My impression is that people just go out and do a lot more in NYC than in Chicago. (but I really have no idea.) Berkeley sounds very relaxed and friendly, but I'm not sure I would fit in out in CA. Thanks for your input!

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:44 pm

GinaTheresa wrote:Great - thank you! I'm in Chicago now, so I'm imagining NYC as pretty similar - just more extreme in every way. Bigger, more snow, more crowded, more crime, etc. But also more to do, and more to see. My impression is that people just go out and do a lot more in NYC than in Chicago. (but I really have no idea.) Berkeley sounds very relaxed and friendly, but I'm not sure I would fit in out in CA. Thanks for your input!

NYC is really very different from Chicago. And much less crime, not more.

ugbadger

Postby ugbadger » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 pm

Confused7 wrote:
ugbadger wrote:I just received a fall grade request email from Columbia. First of all, it seems really strange that they would wait this long to ask me (especially considering I already sent an update to LSAC).

Do you think this is a good or bad sign for being admitted? Also, what sort of impact does this have on when I will hear a decision. I got the impression that this was going to be the last big week for admissions and then mostly WL/rejections after that.

When did you go complete? I think you're one of the first RDers to get the request. Was it through email?

I went complete on 12/17, and yes I got the request through email.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:53 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
GinaTheresa wrote:Great - thank you! I'm in Chicago now, so I'm imagining NYC as pretty similar - just more extreme in every way. Bigger, more snow, more crowded, more crime, etc. But also more to do, and more to see. My impression is that people just go out and do a lot more in NYC than in Chicago. (but I really have no idea.) Berkeley sounds very relaxed and friendly, but I'm not sure I would fit in out in CA. Thanks for your input!

NYC is really very different from Chicago. And much less crime, not more.

Think a 24 hour Chicago. With more of it. And a subway that goes everywhere (at least in Manhattan) unlike the CTA.

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:54 pm

Just got my daily mail update: GULC packet but no VCE. My mail is lost theory has officially gone down the drain :(

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:03 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:Just got my daily mail update: GULC packet but no VCE. My mail is lost theory has officially gone down the drain :(

:( I'm sure there's a similar story waiting for me at home. There's still hope for another wave!

timmna

Postby timmna » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:04 pm

It's time for my mailman and I to have a little "chat."

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:04 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:Just got my daily mail update: GULC packet but no VCE. My mail is lost theory has officially gone down the drain :(

For the record, I think this GULC-correlation theory or whatever it is, is bunk. When mail gets screwed up, it doesn't get screwed up in some sort of organized, linear fashion. A box gets set aside here, a pickup gets missed. Stuff from out of town gets processed more quickly, because it came via train, versus local stuff that has to both get picked up and sorted locally before it makes it back out. You mail carrier misses an envelope.

Even UPS was losing crap in New York - my sister is haggling with them over a package they admit is just gone.

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:06 pm

Got my GULC packet too! No VCE though...

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:07 pm

ahduth wrote:

For the record, I think this GULC-correlation theory or whatever it is, is bunk. When mail gets screwed up, it doesn't get screwed up in some sort of organized, linear fashion. A box gets set aside here, a pickup gets missed. Stuff from out of town gets processed more quickly, because it came via train, versus local stuff that has to both get picked up and sorted locally before it makes it back out. You mail carrier misses an envelope.

Even UPS was losing crap in New York - my sister is haggling with them over a package they admit is just gone.

I like what you say. Especially given how many people have received the binder without receiving the VCE.

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
ahduth wrote:For the record, I think this GULC-correlation theory or whatever it is, is bunk. When mail gets screwed up, it doesn't get screwed up in some sort of organized, linear fashion. A box gets set aside here, a pickup gets missed. Stuff from out of town gets processed more quickly, because it came via train, versus local stuff that has to both get picked up and sorted locally before it makes it back out. You mail carrier misses an envelope.

I like what you say. Especially given how many people have received the binder without receiving the VCE.

That's true. Maybe we should all just be hoping for a binder at this point instead.

Also this USPS ridiculousness has me worried my fall grades will never reach LSAC. They were sent out of NYC around the time of the blizzard last week :(

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:15 pm

In case anyone else has the items arrive separately, I e-mailed and they said the items are sent separately and sometimes one gets lost, wait a week and then call. :D

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:48 pm

jdstl wrote:In case anyone else has the items arrive separately, I e-mailed and they said the items are sent separately and sometimes one gets lost, wait a week and then call. :D

Thanks jdstl!!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Ugggg I can't check my mail for another couple hours, but I'm sure that at most there will be a GULC packet. I realized what a spoiled brat this process has made me when I got a scholarship from Fordham and I just briefly skimmed the letter and shrugged. Apparently satisfaction for me only comes in the form of a VCE.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”