Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
c_dubya_s

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:00 pm

Fresh wrote:'tis true. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/alicen

comeee onn mail

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jumpinjill
Here's another one from today--apparently a 1/24 letter. No location though.
Last edited by c_dubya_s on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:00 pm

ahduth wrote:
lshamlet wrote:
ahduth wrote:So am I the only person in this thread who would be picking NYU over CLS at equal money?

Why's that?

I have this vague sense that the professors might be marginally better, although I can't really back that up specifically. Just a lot of the talk about the textbooks all being written by NYU profs got to me I think lol.

The student body seems more diverse - for example, I love the fact that a lot of people do PI, even though I personally probably won't do PI.

Part of it is definitely a personal thing - I went to NYU for UG, and I know how dynamic the school is overall. I'm sure Columbia is just as energized but...

The downtown aspect is also huge for me personally, as you mention. To me, downtown is New York. Morningside is very, insular and isolated feeling. It's not bad, it's just not me.

All in all, a whole lot of nothing to be sure, but since CLS and NYU are basically equal in the eyes of firms doing hiring, I'd see myself heading back down there?

Just wondering if it was a rankings/lay prestige thing for everyone picking CLS, or if there was something else.

Huge effect, I would imagine.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:

comeee onn mail

Numbers too good. Can't compare. :(

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Confused7 wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:

comeee onn mail

Numbers too good. Can't compare. :(

At least that person's still pending at UVA. We have that in common.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:20 pm

ahduth wrote:
lshamlet wrote:
ahduth wrote:So am I the only person in this thread who would be picking NYU over CLS at equal money?

Why's that?

I have this vague sense that the professors might be marginally better, although I can't really back that up specifically. Just a lot of the talk about the textbooks all being written by NYU profs got to me I think lol.

The student body seems more diverse - for example, I love the fact that a lot of people do PI, even though I personally probably won't do PI.

Part of it is definitely a personal thing - I went to NYU for UG, and I know how dynamic the school is overall. I'm sure Columbia is just as energized but...

The downtown aspect is also huge for me personally, as you mention. To me, downtown is New York. Morningside is very, insular and isolated feeling. It's not bad, it's just not me.

All in all, a whole lot of nothing to be sure, but since CLS and NYU are basically equal in the eyes of firms doing hiring, I'd see myself heading back down there?

Just wondering if it was a rankings/lay prestige thing for everyone picking CLS, or if there was something else.

I like that NYU is big in PI, but I also like that CLS has sent a graduate on to be a Supreme Court Justice (yes, that is kind of silly, but it's a dream. Not that an NYU grad couldn't go on to do the same, so I guess it's just a superstitious thing). I also think I prefer the Morningside area, though I have only ever hung out there, not lived there (same with the Village). I can sort of see why you would say that downtown is New York, but I'd love to hear it in your words if you feel like expounding. Lastly, I definitely prefer the Columbia campus.

Edit: Also, oh yeah, uh, I did not get into NYU :mrgreen:
Last edited by Excellence = a Habit on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:22 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:At least that person's still pending at UVA. We have Everyone has that in common.

:wink:

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:23 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:

comeee onn mail

Northeast. Technically arrived on Saturday...got the slip in my mailbox, but couldn't get the package until today.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:24 pm

swfangirl wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:

comeee onn mail

Northeast. Technically arrived on Saturday...got the slip in my mailbox, but couldn't get the package until today.

Congrats!

GinaTheresa

Postby GinaTheresa » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:25 pm

This comparison of NYU vs Columbia is actually really helpful! Can you guys also start a comparison of NYCity vs Berkeley? :)

I checked that topic from previous years, but the thread got totally derailed. I don't know much about New York City or Northern CA, and I'm planning to visit both, but just from a quality-of-life standpoint, I'd love to hear other opinions. . . . (please??)

Mailbox101

Postby Mailbox101 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Does anyone know if the letters sent after 1/24 (without scholarships) are real? I know about the 1/25 batch, but it seems to be predominantly large scholarship recipients, and the 1/26 I'm not sure of... does anyone know/have an opinion?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:31 pm

Mailbox101 wrote:Does anyone know if the letters sent after 1/24 (without scholarships) are real? I know about the 1/25 batch, but it seems to be predominantly large scholarship recipients, and the 1/26 I'm not sure of... does anyone know/have an opinion?

IIRC, at least two people have reported receiving letters postmarked 1/26, and I don't think they were scholarships. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

annie2010

Postby annie2010 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:35 pm

GinaTheresa wrote:This comparison of NYU vs Columbia is actually really helpful! Can you guys also start a comparison of NYCity vs Berkeley? :)

I checked that topic from previous years, but the thread got totally derailed. I don't know much about New York City or Northern CA, and I'm planning to visit both, but just from a quality-of-life standpoint, I'd love to hear other opinions. . . . (please??)

I have lived in Berkeley and now I live in NYC and from a quality of life standpoint Berkeley wins in my book by far. Quality of life there is just great in general. That being said, Columbia was still my first choice and I think its a stronger school than Berkeley (although Berkeley is absolutely a great school). I also find Morningside Heights to be a very livable place and much more mangable than other parts of the city. It's a more family friendly area, a little quieter, safe and great parks so I really enjoy it.
Please PM me if you have specific questions!
Last edited by annie2010 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 pm

I have an inutition that when my mail back home is checked in around a half hour the vce will be there.

Meaning that when I next post I will either be completely elated or pissed at my intuition/mail/snow/the use of mail over e-mail/the world.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Mailbox101 wrote:Does anyone know if the letters sent after 1/24 (without scholarships) are real? I know about the 1/25 batch, but it seems to be predominantly large scholarship recipients, and the 1/26 I'm not sure of... does anyone know/have an opinion?

IIRC, at least two people have reported receiving letters postmarked 1/26, and I don't think they were scholarships. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty sure you're correct. I don't think there was a 1/25 batch. The only letters so far have been dated 1/24 and 1/26.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:50 pm

annie2010 wrote:
GinaTheresa wrote:This comparison of NYU vs Columbia is actually really helpful! Can you guys also start a comparison of NYCity vs Berkeley? :)

I have lived in Berkeley and now I live in NYC and from a quality of life standpoint Berkeley wins in my book by far. Quality of life there is just great in general. That being said, Columbia was still my first choice and I think its a stronger school than Berkeley (although Berkeley is absolutely a great school). I also find Morningside Heights to be a very livable place and much more mangable than other parts of the city. It's a more family friendly area, a little quieter, safe and great parks so I really enjoy it.

Yeah some of the people who came to NYU from northern California had a hard time of it, didn't really like New York at first. Not so much the people from LA though, I dunno. Downtown versus Morningside is definitely a personal preference thing - I like downtown for a lot of very reasons it's not as quiet or family-friendly. I want a lot of bars, clubs, coffeeshops, art galleries, theatres, restaurants, delis, people, people and people. All the noise and activity can be a culture-shock, and some people thrive on it, some people hate it.

edit: NYU is also closer to Brooklyn and all the stuff going on there too.

ugbadger

Postby ugbadger » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:53 pm

I just received a fall grade request email from Columbia. First of all, it seems really strange that they would wait this long to ask me (especially considering I already sent an update to LSAC).

Do you think this is a good or bad sign for being admitted? Also, what sort of impact does this have on when I will hear a decision. I got the impression that this was going to be the last big week for admissions and then mostly WL/rejections after that.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:54 pm

ahduth wrote:
annie2010 wrote:

Yeah some of the people who came to NYU from northern California had a hard time of it, didn't really like New York at first. Not so much the people from LA though, I dunno. Downtown versus Morningside is definitely a personal preference thing - I like downtown for a lot of very reasons it's not as quiet or family-friendly. I want a lot of bars, clubs, coffeeshops, art galleries, theatres, restaurants, delis, people, people and people. All the noise and activity can be a culture-shock, and some people thrive on it, some people hate it.

That is a very good point. Thanks for expounding.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:56 pm

ahduth wrote:
annie2010 wrote:

That is a very good point. Thanks for expounding.

Yeah, its already enough of a pain to get downtown from Columbia (well especially if you are hitting up East Village/LES) getting to Brooklyn is even worse...

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:59 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:

Pretty sure you're correct. I don't think there was a 1/25 batch. The only letters so far have been dated 1/24 and 1/26.

Nope, there have been more confirmed 1/25 than 1/26s, on which there were only 2. With the second 1/26, I assume that that is legit.

Update on the mail in general for any NYC peeps still here--got the Columbia viewbook today, no postmark date, and got the infamous GULC package today, postmarked (priority) 1/28. Remember, I have the super-fast mailman--that being said, everything was on the floor in front of the mailboxes AGAIN, all wrapped up in one rubber band, and I had to dig through everyone in the building's mail to get it. It looks like the mail person just chucked the mail in the building and ran out again, haha.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:59 pm

ugbadger wrote:I just received a fall grade request email from Columbia. First of all, it seems really strange that they would wait this long to ask me (especially considering I already sent an update to LSAC).

Do you think this is a good or bad sign for being admitted? Also, what sort of impact does this have on when I will hear a decision. I got the impression that this was going to be the last big week for admissions and then mostly WL/rejections after that.

Hm, no idea, but now I am living in fear of my email! :shock:

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:00 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:

Nope, there have been more confirmed 1/25 than 1/26s, on which there were only 2. With the second 1/26, I assume that that is legit.

Update on the mail in general for any NYC peeps still here--got the Columbia viewbook today, no postmark date, and got the infamous GULC package today, postmarked (priority) 1/28. Remember, I have the super-fast mailman--that being said, everything was on the floor in front of the mailboxes AGAIN, all wrapped up in one rubber band, and I had to dig through everyone in the building's mail to get it. It looks like the mail person just chucked the mail in the building and ran out again, haha.

Are we talking about postmark date or letter date? There have been a bunch where the postmark date on the envelope was 1/25--I was just referring to the date on the letter itself.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:07 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:

Are we talking about postmark date or letter date? There have been a bunch where the postmark date on the envelope was 1/25--I was just referring to the date on the letter itself.

Ah, I think we are referring to the 1/25 postmark, but that seems to be the more relevant datapoint, no?

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:10 pm

we care about postmarks 'round hurr.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 pm

ugbadger wrote:I just received a fall grade request email from Columbia. First of all, it seems really strange that they would wait this long to ask me (especially considering I already sent an update to LSAC).

When did you go complete? I think you're one of the first RDers to get the request. Was it through email?

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:27 pm

Confused7 wrote:

When did you go complete? I think you're one of the first RDers to get the request. Was it through email?

I went complete 12/15, RD, and got a grade request on 1/5. Nothing since then...I took it as a relatively good sign though, at least if your new grades are as good or better as your prior levels.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”