Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
law_monkey

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby law_monkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:49 pm

dulcatis wrote:I think the issue is not how awesome CLS is compared to public schools, but how much prettier NYU/UChicago/UPenn/UVA/UMich are.

Or at least that's my main concern XD

This. Looking at Penn pics makes me very very happy. Columbia pics - not so much.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:50 pm

law_monkey wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I think the issue is not how awesome CLS is compared to public schools, but how much prettier NYU/UChicago/UPenn/UVA/UMich are.

This. Looking at Penn pics makes me very very happy. Columbia pics - not so much.

Seriously. Looking at CLS pictures and going, "200k+ in debt, but good LRAP...but THERE for three years" versus like, Hogwarts for way less but worse LRAP.

ARGH.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:51 pm

dulcatis wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Seriously. Looking at CLS pictures and going, "200k+ in debt, but good LRAP...but THERE for three years" versus like, Hogwarts for way less but worse LRAP.

ARGH.

Am I the only one who isn't a huge fan of the Michigan library? It's too open for me haha. I'd prefer my own little space and not have to be able to see every single other person in the entire library.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:53 pm

law_monkey wrote:

You will be happy at Penn, and probably not so much at Columbia if you don't like competitive atmospheres.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Knock, can we at least agree that in general, UMich's law school is prettier than Columbia's? XD

Even if you hate Hogwarts.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 pm

dulcatis wrote:Knock, can we at least agree that in general, UMich's law school is prettier than Columbia's? XD

Haha, from an aesthetic perspective sure :).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 pm

Knock wrote:
Am I the only one who isn't a huge fan of the Michigan library? It's too open for me haha. I'd prefer my own little space and not have to be able to see every single other person in the entire library.

Is that the law library or the main library? My favorite library is still Fisher at Penn. Shame it isn't the law library.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 pm

Knock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

ARGH.

Must be. Either way though I think they have a normal modern library underneath the fancy reading room.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Knock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Knock, can we at least agree that in general, UMich's law school is prettier than Columbia's? XD

...what would non-aesthetically pretty be? Pretty competition? D:

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:57 pm

dulcatis wrote:
Knock wrote:

I think I misread what you wrote ;).

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:59 pm

Knock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
Knock wrote:

Ohhh knockers. How've you been? <3

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:00 am

dulcatis wrote:
Knock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
Knock wrote:

Pretty much the same as everyone who hasn't received a VCE :P.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:02 am

Knock wrote:Pretty much the same as everyone who hasn't received a VCE :P.

I'm still confused. I thought you were set on staying away from the snow?

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:03 am

CastleRock wrote:
Knock wrote:Pretty much the same as everyone who hasn't received a VCE :P.

I'm still confused. I thought you were set on staying away from the snow?

That would be my preference, but my decision is fairly open right now. I might have to just suck it up.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:15 am

Knock wrote:

The graduate library is <5 minutes from the Lawbrary and it has private study rooms and secluded tables and such

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 am

Fresh wrote:
Knock wrote:

The graduate library is <5 minutes from the Lawbrary and it has private study rooms and secluded tables and such

true, and the underground part of the library is off-limits to undergrads (unlike the reading room, which is often filled with lots of greek-lifers on their blackberries)... Fresh, it sounds like you might know what I'm talking about?

ETA: Underground - http://www.law.umich.edu/virtualtour/do ... /index.htm

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 am

dulcatis wrote:
Knock wrote:I think I misread what you wrote ;).

New nickname? I think YES.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 am

The Stig wrote:
Fresh wrote:
Knock wrote:

true, and the underground part of the library is off-limits to undergrads (unlike the reading room, which is often filled with lots of greek-lifers on their blackberries)... Fresh, it sounds like you might know what I'm talking about?

ETA: Underground - http://www.law.umich.edu/virtualtour/do ... /index.htm

Haha you just described almost the entire student body at my UG.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 am

The Stig wrote:

very accurate

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:02 am

Fresh wrote:
The Stig wrote:

very accurate

Did you ever see that blog started by the umich law students about it? it was called reading room undergrad d-bags or something like that...pretty hilarious but not very flattering to umich law students

ON-Topic Post: VCE storm for tomorrow!

GraniteState

Postby GraniteState » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:30 am

law_monkey wrote:

The pictures posted from inside CLS look good to me. Then again, obsessing over the possibility of a vomit-colored envelope might be skewing my judgment.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:44 am

r6_philly wrote:So the only person who think CLS is not ugly is the only person would wouldn't drop the $ at MVP to attend? The irony...

I guess I never looked into their LRAP since I never intend on using it.

Not sure if you meant me, but if so, I definitely NEVER meant to say that I would choose MVP with $ over CLS. I'm not 100% sure what I would choose if I were so lucky as to be given the chance, but it would be a huge decision.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 am

The Stig wrote:ON-Topic Post: VCE storm for tomorrow!

I feel sick...

Edit: and not in the good "vomit is coming!" way.
Last edited by Dany on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:51 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
r6_philly wrote:So the only person who think CLS is not ugly is the only person would wouldn't drop the $ at MVP to attend? The irony...

I guess I never looked into their LRAP since I never intend on using it.

Not sure if you meant me, but if so, I definitely NEVER meant to say that I would choose MVP with $ over CLS. I'm not 100% sure what I would choose if I were so lucky as to be given the chance, but it would be a huge decision.

I meant myself, sorry for being ambiguous. Although I probably won't get the VCE so no dilemma there.

hotshot234512

Postby hotshot234512 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:00 am

Just wondering since there' has been some general law school talk here, about $ versus no $, how do you goes feel about Butler versus Harvard? Pro for Columbia is that it is very close to the people I care about, but I would rather go to Harvard I think, although both are awesome and nobody could go wrong with either. I think a lot of people here choose hls over even the hamilton, but it is nonetheless a tough choice for me. Can anyone speak on the relative campus atmospheres and overall beauty?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”