Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
delusional

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby delusional » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:59 pm

CapHillLove wrote:In with a Hamilton in the mid-atlantic!

Got there yesterday and was postmarked 1/25. It came at the same time as the admissions binder (no post-mark), so there was definitely a weather delay there... normally mail from ny takes 2 days.

Congratulations, but crap, I hope there's still a Hamilton left for me...

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:00 pm

csscarle wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:
csscarle wrote:Decided to stop lurking so hard and contribute a little for those that are playing the waiting game, since I'm actively using the TLS forum for dates and wait periods myself with other schools that are a little more veiled in terms of application status.

172/3.8 Non-URM.

Applied: 12/22

Complete: 01/06

Admitted Letter: 01/26

Hope this helps somebody....

Hmmm...was that a letter dated 1/26, or a letter you received 1/26? And where are you located?
Congrats!!!!

Thanks! That was the date received. I, unfortunately, already threw out its envelope. And I'm in NJ which I guess I made pretty clear by using "hard" as an adverb.

"Note-to-self": Stop using NJ slang when discussing Law School matters, it will invite many "Jersey Shore" jokes... :P

Nah you have a VCE which many of us in this thread are still lacking. You're immune to our judgment.

Edited for major quoting fail. :mrgreen:

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Yay me too! Then I just need Harvard to stop holding my app and send me my ding too and this whole process will finally be over!

No need to wish for it, the hammer will come!

You rang?

Oh, shit, wrong hammer. My bad. Carry on.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Yay me too! Then I just need Harvard to stop holding my app and send me my ding too and this whole process will finally be over!

No need to wish for it, the hammer will come!

You rang?

Oh, shit, wrong hammer. My bad. Carry on.

:lol: not that hammer

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:10 pm

So, I have a hopeful tidbit for you NYCers: I know someone who overnighted an envelope from NYC to another address in NYC on the 26th. It still hasn't arrived, and it was overnighted folks. Within New York. Do you know what this means??? If it arrives tomorrow, it will have taken 4 business days to overnight a package. Imagine what that means for regular mail! The hope monster strikes again.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:14 pm

jd2014! wrote:So, I have a hopeful tidbit for you NYCers: I know someone who overnighted an envelope from NYC to another address in NYC on the 26th. It still hasn't arrived, and it was overnighted folks. Within New York. Do you know what this means??? If it arrives tomorrow, it will have taken 4 business days to overnight a package. Imagine what that means for regular mail! The hope monster strikes again.

That's pretty impressive that it's taken so long...jeez! I won't be checking my mail til around 8 PM tomorrow, so woo!

champsound

Postby champsound » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 pm

dulcatis wrote:
jd2014! wrote:So, I have a hopeful tidbit for you NYCers: I know someone who overnighted an envelope from NYC to another address in NYC on the 26th. It still hasn't arrived, and it was overnighted folks. Within New York. Do you know what this means??? If it arrives tomorrow, it will have taken 4 business days to overnight a package. Imagine what that means for regular mail! The hope monster strikes again.

That's pretty impressive that it's taken so long...jeez! I won't be checking my mail til around 8 PM tomorrow, so woo!

Should have just walked the envelope over to the other address... but maybe that would have taken 4+ days too.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:23 pm

I hope this also means that they had trouble mailing it out to other states too. That's how I'm reading your post anyway. Hope you don't mind! :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:23 pm

I will give up hope when the first ding/WL shows up. That's all.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:I will give up hope when the first ding/WL shows up. That's all.

I will give up when all the people in this thread who we all know are going to get in have received their VCEs and the likelihood of another batch going out is nonexistent.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:37 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I will give up hope when the first ding/WL shows up. That's all.

I will give up when all the people in this thread who we all know are going to get in have received their VCEs and the likelihood of another batch going out is nonexistent.

I take that time to be when they send out dings and WLs. :)

I don't know how I would attend anyway, so don't take me too seriously. I just want to get in so I could give my mom a New Year's gift.

oxford_don

Postby oxford_don » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:41 pm

[]
Last edited by oxford_don on Mon May 12, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

I take that time to be when they send out dings and WLs. :)

I don't know how I would attend anyway, so don't take me too seriously. I just want to get in so I could give my mom a New Year's gift.

Awwww. My mom would be proud, but she doesn't really want me to be in NYC so it wouldn't be the best news for her. I honestly don't know if I would really attend either because I don't think their rumored ultra-competitive environment would suit me. And not that I would base my decision off of this, but it makes me sad that it's so freaking ugly. However their LRAP is almost as good as HYS, so I still find it very tempting. And as much as I hate to admit it I am a little bit of a prestige whore. :oops:

In with a Hamilton in Chicago. Letter was dated 1/24. This makes things complicated...

Congrats!!! Was the postmark 1/24 too?

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

oxford_don wrote:In with a Hamilton in Chicago. Letter was dated 1/24. This makes things complicated...

Not unexpected! Congrats!

CapHillLove

Postby CapHillLove » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:52 pm

oxford_don wrote:In with a Hamilton in Chicago. Letter was dated 1/24. This makes things complicated...

Yeah. I'm kind of freaking out.

oxford_don

Postby oxford_don » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 pm

[]
Last edited by oxford_don on Mon May 12, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evrydyhonestliar

Postby Evrydyhonestliar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 pm

I know I should give up, especially after a week of empty mailboxes, but part of me just won't and I don't want to get my feelings hurt!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:05 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Awwww. My mom would be proud, but she doesn't really want me to be in NYC so it wouldn't be the best news for her. I honestly don't know if I would really attend either because I don't think their rumored ultra-competitive environment would suit me. And not that I would base my decision off of this, but it makes me sad that it's so freaking ugly. However their LRAP is almost as good as HYS, so I still find it very tempting. And as much as I hate to admit it I am a little bit of a prestige whore. :oops:

My mom loves Columbia. One of the reasons she sent me here so many years ago. When I told her I was applying to law school, she told me to go to Columbia.

I am over my prestige whoring - unless it's Harvard.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:09 pm

law_monkey wrote:Awwww. My mom would be proud, but she doesn't really want me to be in NYC so it wouldn't be the best news for her. I honestly don't know if I would really attend either because I don't think their rumored ultra-competitive environment would suit me. And not that I would base my decision off of this, but it makes me sad that it's so freaking ugly. However their LRAP is almost as good as HYS, so I still find it very tempting. And as much as I hate to admit it I am a little bit of a prestige whore. :oops:

That's like my EXACT dilemma! If their LRAP weren't so awesome, MVP would be an obvious choice :/ Goddamn CLS being so ugly! & the COL so expensive!

I just don't know what to DO. & I can't decide if it'd be better for CLS to reject me so I don't have to make the decisions or not...blah.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:16 pm

dulcatis wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Awwww. My mom would be proud, but she doesn't really want me to be in NYC so it wouldn't be the best news for her. I honestly don't know if I would really attend either because I don't think their rumored ultra-competitive environment would suit me. And not that I would base my decision off of this, but it makes me sad that it's so freaking ugly. However their LRAP is almost as good as HYS, so I still find it very tempting. And as much as I hate to admit it I am a little bit of a prestige whore. :oops:

That's like my EXACT dilemma! If their LRAP weren't so awesome, MVP would be an obvious choice :/ Goddamn CLS being so ugly! & the COL so expensive!

I just don't know what to DO. & I can't decide if it'd be better for CLS to reject me so I don't have to make the decisions or not...blah.

Wait... I don't think CLS is ugly. I mean, the building itself is not awesome, but it's not terrible either, from what I remember. The library is kind of lame, but I would just study in the main library instead (this is feasible, no?). And the overall campus is fantastic, at least in my opinion. I went to UG at a really urban campus without any quad or central element, and to me Columbia's campus is the opposite of that, and has some really stunning buildings that I'd get to walk by every day. Why do people think it is so ugly?

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

Wait... I don't think CLS is ugly. I mean, the building itself is not awesome, but it's not terrible either, from what I remember. The library is kind of lame, but I would just study in the main library instead (this is feasible, no?). And the overall campus is fantastic, at least in my opinion. I went to UG at a really urban campus without any quad or central element, and to me Columbia's campus is the opposite of that, and has some really stunning buildings that I'd get to walk by every day. Why do people think it is so ugly?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&p=3933983#p3933983

The inside of the law buildings don't seem so awesome. I just don't know how much law students actually would go over to the main campus and use those buildings, especially since they'd presumably have a lot of undergrads in there. My school has no campus, but the pics azn took of CLS's law buildings don't impress me very much :/

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:29 pm

So the only person who think CLS is not ugly is the only person would wouldn't drop the $ at MVP to attend? The irony...

I guess I never looked into their LRAP since I never intend on using it.

champsound

Postby champsound » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:36 pm

Hah. Go to public school in California for K-12. Anything will look nice. Columbia looks awesome to me.

r6_philly wrote:So the only person who think CLS is not ugly is the only person would wouldn't drop the $ at MVP to attend? The irony...

I guess I never looked into their LRAP since I never intend on using it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:43 pm

champsound wrote:Hah. Go to public school in California for K-12. Anything will look nice. Columbia looks awesome to me.

Please don't make me compare to Philly public schools. I used to work in them. Columbia looks like a million bucks.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:46 pm

I think the issue is not how awesome CLS is compared to public schools, but how much prettier NYU/UChicago/UPenn/UVA/UMich are.

Or at least that's my main concern XD

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”