Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:24 pm

CLS's lack of knowledge of the existence of computer may push me to the point where im not considering them anymore. Slowly but surly Chicago is gaining the edge.

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby champsound » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 pm

CastleRock wrote:CLS's lack of knowledge of the existence of computer may push me to the point where im not considering them anymore. Slowly but surly Chicago is gaining the edge.


I think CLS has the computer situation down, hence the "status checker" online. But wtf can't you email me? They must be afraid of spam mail or something.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby law_monkey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:40 pm

champsound wrote:
CastleRock wrote:CLS's lack of knowledge of the existence of computer may push me to the point where im not considering them anymore. Slowly but surly Chicago is gaining the edge.


I think CLS has the computer situation down, hence the "status checker" online. But wtf can't you email me? They must be afraid of spam mail or something.


It's probably a prestige/classiness thing too. There is something special and traditional about opening up your mailbox to discover a decision, especially when you're not expecting one. However, I would prefer to just get a boring old email.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby 4102011 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:42 pm

law_monkey wrote:
champsound wrote:
CastleRock wrote:CLS's lack of knowledge of the existence of computer may push me to the point where im not considering them anymore. Slowly but surly Chicago is gaining the edge.


I think CLS has the computer situation down, hence the "status checker" online. But wtf can't you email me? They must be afraid of spam mail or something.


It's probably a prestige/classiness thing too. There is something special and traditional about opening up your mailbox to discover a decision, especially when you're not expecting one it's vomit colored and hugely delayed by snow storms. However, I would prefer to just get a boring old email.


FTFY

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:44 pm

law_monkey wrote:
champsound wrote:
CastleRock wrote:CLS's lack of knowledge of the existence of computer may push me to the point where im not considering them anymore. Slowly but surly Chicago is gaining the edge.


I think CLS has the computer situation down, hence the "status checker" online. But wtf can't you email me? They must be afraid of spam mail or something.


It's probably a prestige/classiness thing too. There is something special and traditional about opening up your mailbox to discover a decision, especially when you're not expecting one. However, I would prefer to just get a boring old email.

Using email sure brings harvard down a couple notches, eh?

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby tomwatts » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:48 pm

CastleRock wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
champsound wrote:
CastleRock wrote:CLS's lack of knowledge of the existence of computer may push me to the point where im not considering them anymore. Slowly but surly Chicago is gaining the edge.


I think CLS has the computer situation down, hence the "status checker" online. But wtf can't you email me? They must be afraid of spam mail or something.


It's probably a prestige/classiness thing too. There is something special and traditional about opening up your mailbox to discover a decision, especially when you're not expecting one. However, I would prefer to just get a boring old email.

Using email sure brings harvard down a couple notches, eh?

Harvard calls. I think the HYS personal phone call is a nice touch. I think the Columbia/NYU snail mail is lame.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby 4102011 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:50 pm

At least NYU upgraded to the DLS this year. LEARN FROM YOUR DOWNTOWN PEERS, COLUMBIA.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:52 pm

dulcatis wrote:At least NYU upgraded to the DLS this year. LEARN FROM YOUR DOWNTOWN PEERS, COLUMBIA.

Wasn't this the first year with Nyu status checker? NYC schools = lame. Get with the program.

GraniteState
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby GraniteState » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:13 am

CastleRock wrote:Why can't they just use fucking email?


Nothing is official until it's digital. Paper is just slow clutter.

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby champsound » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:07 am

CastleRock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:At least NYU upgraded to the DLS this year. LEARN FROM YOUR DOWNTOWN PEERS, COLUMBIA.

Wasn't this the first year with Nyu status checker? NYC schools = lame. Get with the program.


If Columbia is not downtown considering it is in Manhattan, then I must be living in the boonies considering I am like 10 mins walk from "downtown" DC. Love the Columbia > NYU elitism. In reality, I hope I end up getting into at least one of those schools.

Edit: Wow. I fail. I read NYC schools as NYU school. Epic fail.

User avatar
pinkzeppelin
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby pinkzeppelin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:30 am

VCE in Atlanta with Hamilton :) Letter dated 1/24

Excited beyond belief!

padthai
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby padthai » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:35 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:VCE in Atlanta with Hamilton :) Letter dated 1/24

Excited beyond belief!


Congrats!!! When did you get the VCE? Earlier today?
Btw you have killer stats
Last edited by padthai on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Knock » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:35 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:VCE in Atlanta with Hamilton :) Letter dated 1/24

Excited beyond belief!


Congrats! Looks like they give a lot of Hamiltons out.

justhoping
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby justhoping » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:49 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:VCE in Atlanta with Hamilton :) Letter dated 1/24

Excited beyond belief!


wow congrats! your cycle is so sick :shock:

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:09 am

champsound wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:At least NYU upgraded to the DLS this year. LEARN FROM YOUR DOWNTOWN PEERS, COLUMBIA.

Wasn't this the first year with Nyu status checker? NYC schools = lame. Get with the program.


If Columbia is not downtown considering it is in Manhattan, then I must be living in the boonies considering I am like 10 mins walk from "downtown" DC. Love the Columbia > NYU elitism. In reality, I hope I end up getting into at least one of those schools.

Edit: Wow. I fail. I read NYC schools as NYU school. Epic fail.


NYU is wayyy more downtown than CLS. Like, 100+ blocks farther downtown.

& omg VCEs why do you taunt us soooo :(

& CONGRATS pinkzeppelin!!!

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby champsound » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:13 am

dulcatis wrote:
champsound wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:At least NYU upgraded to the DLS this year. LEARN FROM YOUR DOWNTOWN PEERS, COLUMBIA.

Wasn't this the first year with Nyu status checker? NYC schools = lame. Get with the program.


If Columbia is not downtown considering it is in Manhattan, then I must be living in the boonies considering I am like 10 mins walk from "downtown" DC. Love the Columbia > NYU elitism. In reality, I hope I end up getting into at least one of those schools.

Edit: Wow. I fail. I read NYC schools as NYU school. Epic fail.


NYU is wayyy more downtown than CLS. Like, 100+ blocks farther downtown.

& omg VCEs why do you taunt us soooo :(

& CONGRATS pinkzeppelin!!!


wow pinkzeppelin FTW. congrats! amazing stats and cycle and everything.

Guess i'm speaking as someone who has to drive like 45 mins+ to get into downtown SF from suburbs.

User avatar
awahoya
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:57 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby awahoya » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:17 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:VCE in Atlanta with Hamilton :) Letter dated 1/24

Excited beyond belief!


Congratulations!!!

moneko
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby moneko » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:17 am

Knock wrote:
pinkzeppelin wrote:VCE in Atlanta with Hamilton :) Letter dated 1/24

Excited beyond belief!


Congrats! Looks like they give a lot of Hamiltons out.


on LSN i count 3 so far... does anyone know how many is usual?

@Pinkzeppelin: suuuper congrats! you're cleaning it up :)

hotshot234512
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:52 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby hotshot234512 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 am

Sorry for slow update. In with a Butler as of friday in new jersey, letter dated 1/24, but postmarked 1/25.

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:27 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
jd2014! wrote:Same old story. No mail in BK- again. I am beginning to believe my hope is ridiculous.


:( I really don't think so. In at NYU, in at Chicago even given their weird Rubenstein-motivated behavior - why not CLS?



Thanks... how long are we NYC peeps deciding to hold out for? Monday? I think I am throwing in the towel after that.

wsjch05
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:15 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby wsjch05 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:12 pm

hi, first time poster on this thread,

I've submitted my apps on Jan 19th. (174/3.58) Although I realize I am very late, and will likely be applying again next cycle, to learn that Columbia only notifies admitted students via snail mail makes me worried. I somehow mistakenly believed that they would surely send us an email....

I am moving to Korea in coming February, and there wouldn't be anyone left here to check in on my mail, I listed that my current address is only good until Feb.18th, and put my parents' address in Korea as my permanent address, but I am worried that they might confuse the two and there will be no way for me to retrieve whatever was sent.

Should I worry? Do they actually pay attention to what I wrote on "until when is the current address applicable"?

If you don't mind, how does NYU fare in this respect? I did the same thing for the NYU app.

padthai
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby padthai » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 pm

jd2014! wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:
jd2014! wrote:Same old story. No mail in BK- again. I am beginning to believe my hope is ridiculous.


:( I really don't think so. In at NYU, in at Chicago even given their weird Rubenstein-motivated behavior - why not CLS?



Thanks... how long are we NYC peeps deciding to hold out for? Monday? I think I am throwing in the towel after that.


Monday??!! onono that's way too soon..only gives us 1 more day. Dont freak me out like that.
Why are we even thinking that if we don't get in within the first 4 days or so, we're def not gonna get in? Last year's cycle seemed to go on longer than just 4 days...some of the people who got in later (Feb, Mar) had pre-Thanksgiving complete dates and were awarded with scholarship money
Last edited by padthai on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:17 pm

You can just send them an email in February to confirm they'll start using your permanent address.

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:24 pm

padthai wrote:
jd2014! wrote:

Thanks... how long are we NYC peeps deciding to hold out for? Monday? I think I am throwing in the towel after that.


Monday??!! onono that's way too soon..only gives us 1 more day. Dont freak me out like that.
Why are we even thinking that if we don't get in within the first 4 days or so, we're def not gonna get in? Last year's cycle seemed to go on longer than just 4 days...some of the people who got in later (Feb, Mar) had pre-Thanksgiving complete dates and were awarded with scholarship money



Well, I applied in Sept. It looks grim for me if I don't hear in the first wave. (Although I would love to be convinced otherwise, and will gladly receive an acceptance at any time!)

User avatar
vertex
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby vertex » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Got my VCE yesterday with the letter dated 1/25. Also in the mail was the Admitted Students Handbook.

Enrollment deposit waived for ED admits!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests