Columbia 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Confused7

Silver

Re: Columbia 2011!

Post by Confused7 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:55 pm

annie2010 wrote:Don't know if this helps, but I got my packet today (ED admit) in Manhattan. Post-marked 1/25 and I live literally a stone's throw away from CLS. So if you live in NYC it could still be on its way!!!
So now we've got 1/24, 1/25, and 1/26??? Confusion all around! Thanks for letting us know annie. Hopefully 1/25 had love for both RD and ED admits.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:56 pm

awahoya wrote: すごく寒いよ!そうと言うんだけど私は四国に住んでいるから北海道と比べるとあんまり寒くない。なぜ日本にいましたか?  :)
なぜかと言うとやっぱり恋だね。。。大学の四年生の時日本に留学して彼女に会った。

あなたは?

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 pm

There is so much hope right now that I just want to freeze time and live forever in a netherworld where I always might be admitted to Columbia Law.

I mean, that would get old. But yay for still hope.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:59 pm

akikaze wrote:
thecilent wrote:
akikaze wrote:It may be nice to have CLS numbers-whore for admissions, but when it comes to actually spending three years with people who have nothing more than an ultra-high LSAT score, are double-Ivy, and have a respectable u/g GPA, well...that I can't envision. I actually want to know my classmates for the rest of my life, so ideally they'd be interesting people too =]
Know classmates? My gunning strategy only lets me socialize with classmates 3.5 hours per week (cut back to 0 hours during finals, obvi).
I know this was tongue-in-cheek, but I'd still like to know how you (or anyone else) would define "gunner" (a personality type that I've heard references to repeatedly but never fully grasped) -- I mean, I study obsessively and for many hours on end, but I'd still help other students, be gracious about good/bad performance, not talk about schoolwork once I leave the library (even if it is at midnight), and, I don't know... be generally nice to people? Does that count? If not, what is the quintessential gunner like?
The bold is pretty gunnery.

vertex

Bronze

Post by vertex » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:01 pm

akikaze wrote: I know this was tongue-in-cheek, but I'd still like to know how you (or anyone else) would define "gunner" (a personality type that I've heard references to repeatedly but never fully grasped) -- I mean, I study obsessively and for many hours on end, but I'd still help other students, be gracious about good/bad performance, not talk about schoolwork once I leave the library (even if it is at midnight), and, I don't know... be generally nice to people? Does that count? If not, what elements would capture the quintessence of a gunner?
If you get to law school and you can't identify the gunners in your classes, then it's you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:02 pm

I feel like to be a gunner, you have to be obsessed with class ranking, not just studying. You have to be gunning for first, and everyone else has a target on their back.

akikaze

New

Post by akikaze » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:I feel like to be a gunner, you have to be obsessed with class ranking, not just studying. You have to be gunning for first, and everyone else has a target on their back.
This is what I figured; I would imagine (perhaps wrongly? that everyone here enjoys learning.

hoopla14

New

Post by hoopla14 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Frankie55 wrote:For a bit of lighthearted relief for those waiting, check out the hipster stereotype on pg. 158 living in Williamsburg who doesn't know where Greenpoint is. ;) (jk bro)
Assume you mean me, though I'm not sure why? They asked about neighborhoods, GP is a different neighborhood from Williamsburg, with a different zip code.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:03 pm

thecilent wrote:
akikaze wrote: I know this was tongue-in-cheek, but I'd still like to know how you (or anyone else) would define "gunner" (a personality type that I've heard references to repeatedly but never fully grasped) -- I mean, I study obsessively and for many hours on end, but I'd still help other students, be gracious about good/bad performance, not talk about schoolwork once I leave the library (even if it is at midnight), and, I don't know... be generally nice to people? Does that count? If not, what is the quintessential gunner like?
The gunner title is normally held for those who are douchy about it. People who want to succeed at any cost. Other people are the least of their concerns. The more carnage they lay behind them the better.

In general, douche bags.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

vertex wrote:
akikaze wrote: I know this was tongue-in-cheek, but I'd still like to know how you (or anyone else) would define "gunner" (a personality type that I've heard references to repeatedly but never fully grasped) -- I mean, I study obsessively and for many hours on end, but I'd still help other students, be gracious about good/bad performance, not talk about schoolwork once I leave the library (even if it is at midnight), and, I don't know... be generally nice to people? Does that count? If not, what elements would capture the quintessence of a gunner?
If you get to law school and you can't identify the gunners in your classes, then it's you.
This is the official gunner/douche bag test.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm

CastleRock wrote:
thecilent wrote:
akikaze wrote: I know this was tongue-in-cheek, but I'd still like to know how you (or anyone else) would define "gunner" (a personality type that I've heard references to repeatedly but never fully grasped) -- I mean, I study obsessively and for many hours on end, but I'd still help other students, be gracious about good/bad performance, not talk about schoolwork once I leave the library (even if it is at midnight), and, I don't know... be generally nice to people? Does that count? If not, what is the quintessential gunner like?
The gunner title is normally held for those who are douchy about it. People who want to succeed at any cost. Other people are the least of their concerns. The more carnage they lay behind them the better.

In general, douche bags.
Ehh I still think studying obsessively is gunner status. But I mean yeah there is def a lot worse

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:07 pm

thecilent wrote:Ehh I still think studying obsessively is gunner status.
Probably on of the main characteristics, but definitely not an sufficient characteristic. If this was sufficient characteristic, everyone in a t6 school should probably be considered a gunner.

pdiddy89

New

Post by pdiddy89 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:10 pm

any chicago sightings? i have a 4.4 index and am beginning to worry..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 pm

CastleRock wrote:
thecilent wrote:Ehh I still think studying obsessively is gunner status.
Probably on of the main characteristics, but definitely not an sufficient characteristic. If this was sufficient characteristic, everyone in a t6 school should probably be considered a gunner.
Well there prob are a lot of gunners at t6. But yeah I gotya. You're prob right

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 pm

pdiddy89 wrote:any chicago sightings? i have a 4.4 index and am beginning to worry..
Knock wrote:Image

pdiddy89

New

Post by pdiddy89 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:15 pm

does that mean i should start getting worried knock?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:16 pm

pdiddy89 wrote:does that mean i should start getting worried knock?
Nah, give it at least through Monday or Tuesday, especially since there appears to be a new, 1/26 batch that was sent out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dianaw

New

Post by dianaw » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:23 pm

same boat, chicago, my nyu letter was sent on the 21st and I still haven't received it yet though...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm

dianaw wrote:
same boat, chicago, my nyu letter was sent on the 21st and I still haven't received it yet though...
6 days is nothing. It took me 11 days, someone else 13, and Castlerock waited almost 3 weeks to receive his.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Why can't they e-mail?? This is all going to drive me CRAZY. We don't know if we're not in, or if there's new batches, or if there's crazy snow messing everything up.

--ImageRemoved--

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:26 pm

dulcatis wrote:Why can't they e-mail?? This is all going to drive me CRAZY. We don't know if we're not in, or if there's new batches, or if there's crazy snow messing everything up.

--ImageRemoved--
Ha, weren't you the one who "preferred snail mail because you only have to worry once a day" when I said schools should just email? :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:28 pm

Knock wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Why can't they e-mail?? This is all going to drive me CRAZY. We don't know if we're not in, or if there's new batches, or if there's crazy snow messing everything up.

--ImageRemoved--
Ha, weren't you the one who "preferred snail mail because you only have to worry once a day" when I said schools should just email? :P
Some people can't keep their opinions straight.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 pm

CastleRock wrote:
Knock wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
Some people can't keep their opinions straight.
I'm just teaaaasing. <3 <3 <3 Dulcatis.

hotthaichick

Bronze

Post by hotthaichick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:31 pm

Ship87 wrote:Postmarked 1/24

Edit: wrote 12/24 earlier, obviously mistake lol.. too jittery right now
Congrats Ship!!! Acceptance #2!!!!:):):)

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:32 pm

No puke or GULC mailing in NW Arkansas.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”