Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
law_monkey

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:29 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
CosmoLaw wrote:Has no one received a rejection yet? Or is everyone just inferring a rejection based on the absence of the much-adored VCE?

Just took a quick look at LSN. Nov and Dec applicants were getting in as late as March, so there's definitely still hope even if you don't get a VCE within the next few days.

Edit: Do your odds go down, per Dulc's spreadsheet? Yes. But you're not SOL.

And then there's the Sept/Oct applicants. I think our odds look a little different.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:31 pm

law_monkey wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:
CosmoLaw wrote:Has no one received a rejection yet? Or is everyone just inferring a rejection based on the absence of the much-adored VCE?

Just took a quick look at LSN. Nov and Dec applicants were getting in as late as March, so there's definitely still hope even if you don't get a VCE within the next few days.

And then there's the Sept/Oct applicants. I think our odds look a little different.

This...is true :(

tgir

Postby tgir » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:

Yeah, it looks like Sept/Oct who don't hear back around this time are pretty much all waitlist/deny.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:35 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:

Despite its complete inapplicability, I am going to suggest someone bring the precedent cat over from the NYU thread.

We already know Columbia's schedule is slightly different this year than it was last year (off by ~1 week), so why should we assume that everything that happened last year will also happen this year?

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:39 pm

The non-precedent cats.

what is this forum doing to me..........? i hate lolcats.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Ok I'm going to go out on a SUPER crazy limb here. I was just looking again and found 2 October people who got their letters in Feb. One of them was on Feb. 19th, so no matter how far away he lived if it was sent in the original batch he should've received it before then. I was reading his profile, and he was offered one of their fellowships. Considering the strength of some of the applicants waiting to hear, I think there is a teeny tiny possibility that their letter was delayed because of this additional component to their offer. Most of the Sept/Oct people are definitely screwed if they don't hear back in this batch; HOWEVER some of you might have a glimmer of hope. And I don't have any chance of getting offered a fellowship, so I'm suggesting this for some of you to grab onto and not out of my own desperation. :wink:

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:41 pm

law_monkey wrote:Ok I'm going to go out on a SUPER crazy limb here. I was just looking again and found 2 October people who got their letters in Feb. One of them was on Feb. 19th, so no matter how far away he lived if it was sent in the original batch he should've received it before then. I was reading his profile, and he was offered one of their fellowships. Considering the strength of some of the applicants waiting to hear, I think there is a teeny tiny possibility that their letter was delayed because of this additional component to their offer. Most of the Sept/Oct people are definitely screwed if they don't hear back in this batch; HOWEVER some of you might have a glimmer of hope. And I don't have any chance of getting offered a fellowship, so I'm suggesting this for some of you to grab onto and not out of my own desperation. :wink:

This is good sleuthing.

samsonyte16

Postby samsonyte16 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:42 pm

In today in DC. I had an index over 4.6. No mention of scholarship. Does anyone know if Columbia offers scholarship money after the initial letter?

Postby 4102011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Well the year before last year also had the same pattern. Obviously it could be different, but I'm not going to assume it's different just because I can't comprehend why they wouldn't admit me.

WHY AM I NOT A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE???

& I think they do smaller schollies late March/early April. Stalk LSN to be sure, though.

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:44 pm

samsonyte16 wrote:In today in DC. I had an index over 4.6. No mention of scholarship. Does anyone know if Columbia offers scholarship money after the initial letter?

That's odd. You would think CLS would want to entice you away from the likes of Harvard and Yale (with your numbers) with the offer of some juicy moolah... not good marketing CLS.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:48 pm

samsonyte16 wrote:In today in DC. I had an index over 4.6. No mention of scholarship. Does anyone know if Columbia offers scholarship money after the initial letter?

You got your letter in today's mail? By which I mean there is still hope for me here in DC?

If you don't mind, what part of DC are you in? You can be general.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 pm

I know this is slightly off topic, but we can all use a distraction anyway. It's my 500 post-iversary!!! While I know that this pales in comparison to many of the other TLS regulars, I still don't want to waste it on something boring. And I'm putting it in this thread because it's so tense in here right now. So I now bring you my 500th post:

You know you’re a TLS junkie when:
1) You get excited about benchmarks in number of posts.
2) Your electronic friends know your decisions before other friends and family members.
3) You need to use blockers on your computer in order to be productive on other tasks.
4) You know every school’s admissions patterns, status checker terminology, and methods of notification.
5) You notice when other users change their tars.
6) All of your non pre-law friends IRL know what TLS stands for as it holds a normal place in your everyday conversations.
7) You auTTTomatically change every word with a “t” so it has three in a row.
8) You commonly respond to things you agree to IRL with “This,” “Win,” and “Plus one!”
9) The first thing you do when you wake up every morning is log on, you’re late to work/class because you had to get through just one more thread, the first thing you do when you get to class/work is log on, the only thing you do when traveling from work/class to home and vice versa is log on via phone, and it’s the last thing you check before going to bed.
10) You have mastered the art of lolcating.

And now to get back on topic: Congrats to all the new VCEs!!!

samsonyte16

Postby samsonyte16 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:

You got your letter in today's mail? By which I mean there is still hope for me here in DC?

I know. I'm already in at Harvard but really love NYC so I was hoping Columbia would make it difficult. Oh well, I guess there's still hope at NYU. I'm near U St., if that helps.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 pm

law_monkey wrote:I know this is slightly off topic, but we can all use a distraction anyway. It's my 500 post-iversary!!! While I know that this pales in comparison to many of the other TLS regulars, I still don't want to waste it on something boring. And I'm putting it in this thread because it's so tense in here right now. So I now bring you my 500th post:

2) Your electronic friends know your decisions before other friends and family members.
3) You need to use blockers on your computer in order to be productive on other tasks.
4) You know every school’s admissions patterns, status checker terminology, and methods of notification.
6) All of your non pre-law friends IRL know what TLS stands for as it holds a normal place in your everyday conversations.
8) You commonly respond to things you agree to IRL with “This,” “Win,” and “Plus one!”
9) The first thing you do when you wake up every morning is log on, you’re late to work/class because you had to get through just one more thread, the first thing you do when you get to class/work is log on, the only thing you do when traveling from work/class to home and vice versa is log on via phone, and it’s the last thing you check before going to bed.

Wow, you just described me way more than I want to admit. I have especially noticed myself adding "plus one" to conversations and emails recently.

Edit: And congrats on 500th post! I remember when I first started seeing you around the GULC thread. Oh the old days...
Last edited by Excellence = a Habit on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

champsound

Postby champsound » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 pm

law_monkey wrote:I know this is slightly off topic, but we can all use a distraction anyway. It's my 500 post-iversary!!! While I know that this pales in comparison to many of the other TLS regulars, I still don't want to waste it on something boring. And I'm putting it in this thread because it's so tense in here right now. So I now bring you my 500th post:

loved how the number 8 turned into a smiley with sunglasses

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:55 pm

champsound wrote:

loved how the number 8 turned into a smiley with sunglasses

Haha whoops

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Haha Fun read, lmonkey. Pretty true.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

samsonyte16 wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:

I know. I'm already in at Harvard but really love NYC so I was hoping Columbia would make it difficult. Oh well, I guess there's still hope at NYU. I'm near U St., if that helps.

Thanks. And congratulations!!!

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:00 pm

180!

and speaking of benchmarks in number of posts. congrats on 500!

Postby 4102011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Ahahaha so true! <3 I always want to say "TITCR" IRL. It's bad :oops: & those all apply to me, too :)

timmna

Postby timmna » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Congrats! And I have noticed "I'm TLSing" has become a common statement in my household.

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 pm

dulcatis wrote:

Ahahaha so true! <3 I always want to say "TITCR" IRL. It's bad :oops: & those all apply to me, too :)

lol yeah..same. and #9 is killing my productivity at work :D

well that...and work iphone mafia...
Last edited by absolutazn87 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Dulc, what time is your mail-check today?

Postby 4102011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:03 pm

jd2014! wrote:Dulc, what time is your mail-check today?

Gonna check at three. Don't know if any mail will make it though, my roomie says it's pretty bad out there. Scared :(

I am officially giving up on CLS once I get my GULC package. Eep!

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:04 pm

dulcatis wrote:
jd2014! wrote:Dulc, what time is your mail-check today?

Gonna check at three. Don't know if any mail will make it though, my roomie says it's pretty bad out there. Scared :(

I am officially giving up on CLS once I get my GULC package. Eep!

Aren't we glad we all applied to GULC so we'd have this benchmark now? :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”