Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sgtpeppernyc

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Sgtpeppernyc wrote:My NYC office is closed, since everyone lives in CT....they declared it a work from home day, but it's looking like more of a "TLS from home" day :/

Hahaha that sounds much more fun. Jealously working in Midtown, where it sort of looks like there wasn't just a blizzard.

Hahaha - where in midtown? My office is by the central library, and I'd be lying if i said i wasn't slipping/sliding the entire walk to the subway last night. Immaturity FTW.

Postby 4102011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:09 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

Believe!

Then what about yesterday? :(

& SNOW DAYYYYYYY!!!!! except now I get to worry about the mail coming or not. It'd be too stalkerish to camp out in the lobby of my building and wait, yeah?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Sgtpeppernyc wrote:My NYC office is closed, since everyone lives in CT....they declared it a work from home day, but it's looking like more of a "TLS from home" day :/

Hahaha that sounds much more fun. Jealously working in Midtown, where it sort of looks like there wasn't just a blizzard.

i dont know.....i had a rough time walking to work this a.m. (home is walking distance to work thank god)- pools of melted snow, icy unplowed or slushed slippery sidewalks, and saw a split tree branch from the tree outside my midtown office building.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:10 pm

rs2004 wrote:

i dont know.....i had a rough time walking to work this a.m. (home is walking distance to work thank god)- pools of melted snow, icy unplowed or slushed slippery sidewalks, and saw a split tree branch from the tree outside my midtown office building.

Walking TO the subway in Brooklyn: impossible, took 3x as long as usual.
Walking FROM the subway to work: easy peasy.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:12 pm

dulcatis wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

Believe!

Then what about yesterday? :(

& SNOW DAYYYYYYY!!!!! except now I get to worry about the mail coming or not. It'd be too stalkerish to camp out in the lobby of my building and wait, yeah?

Not at all! With a good cover no one will notice. I, on the other hand, will be at work until 1. The mail usually comes between 12 and 12:30, so I will definitely be booking it home to check my mailbox and be in a full state of gloom for my 2:00 class if there's no VCE. Today will be fun! :D

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:13 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
rs2004 wrote:

when i was crossing the two-way street on east 57th and 1st, there was a young mom with a baby stroller just standing there planning how to get across the street as the little plowed passageway was too narrow for the stroller. i felt bad and went knee deep in snow to give her the space but the woman was superhuman, she just carried that stroller in her arms and crossed that street, not even batting an eye at the ankle-deep pool of water that she had to step in. that was pretty cool.

hoopla14

Postby hoopla14 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:15 pm

mtrl wrote:Hamilton'd. I am thrilled! But this is going to be a very difficult choice, as I was pretty set on Harvard.

Sigh, there goes my (admittedly, very weak) theory, but congrats!

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:17 pm

9539875917195 inches of snow in NYC... delaying hope until tomorrow? I can't take this anymore... *vomits*

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:18 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
rs2004 wrote:

This, definitely. Hilarious difference.

I'm near 37th and 8th. The avenues are well-plowed and the sidewalks, amazingly, are mostly shoveled.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:18 pm

hmm.. there is a chance these envelopes could arrive in TN today. My mail arrives between 11:30 and 12:30. I have an interview, which happens to be of a style Im not wholly prepared for, at 12:30. Travel time to the interview is between 25 and 45 minutes depending on traffic(unpredictable). Really considering how long I should wait for the envelope vs. the risk of being slightly late for said interview.

mss455

Postby mss455 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:21 pm

tkgrrett wrote:hmm.. there is a chance these envelopes could arrive in TN today. My mail arrives between 11:30 and 12:30. I have an interview, which happens to be of a style Im not wholly prepared for, at 12:30. Travel time to the interview is between 25 and 45 minutes depending on traffic(unpredictable). Really considering how long I should wait for the envelope vs. the risk of being slightly late for said interview.

PLEASE go to your interview ahead of time - that is only the proper etiquette. The mail will be here when you get back, plus not sure it will be in TN today. I understand I'ld be just like you too lol !!!!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:23 pm

mss455 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:hmm.. there is a chance these envelopes could arrive in TN today. My mail arrives between 11:30 and 12:30. I have an interview, which happens to be of a style Im not wholly prepared for, at 12:30. Travel time to the interview is between 25 and 45 minutes depending on traffic(unpredictable). Really considering how long I should wait for the envelope vs. the risk of being slightly late for said interview.

PLEASE go to your interview ahead of time - that is only the proper etiquette. The mail will be here when you get back, plus not sure it will be in TN today. I understand I'ld be just like you too lol !!!!

I used to get to interviews fashionably late (like 5 minutes). There is some gamesmanship in these things. If you show up 15-20 minutes a head of time you seem eager and desperate. If you show up somewhat casual but professional, they feel that you have other options and may recruit you/bend to your needs IF they like what they see. I would either not get a call back, or can negotiate cost upwards.

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Good luck to everyone today! For people who are waiting I dont think you should lose hope yet, I think the mail IS messed up because I received my vomit but not my GULC packet and i'm in DC where others outside of the city have gotten it....so it could happen that people in Nyc haven't received vce yet.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:I used to get to interviews fashionably late (like 5 minutes). There is some gamesmanship in these things. If you show up 15-20 minutes a head of time you seem eager and desperate. If you show up somewhat casual but professional, they feel that you have other options and may recruit you/bend to your needs IF they like what they see. I would either not get a call back, or can negotiate cost upwards.

Haha.. Im the only candidate for the job right now and they would be doing me a favor by giving it to me so no negotiations. The interview is basically a test (problem solving/data analysis stuff). Problem is, I graduated a month and have since forgotten how to do math.

Ehh.. Im gonna get there on time but Im gonna be pissed if I get an envelope while Im gone.
Last edited by rundoxierun on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Question: do we have any sense of what areas/zip codes of BK have already received VCEs?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:30 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I used to get to interviews fashionably late (like 5 minutes). There is some gamesmanship in these things. If you show up 15-20 minutes a head of time you seem eager and desperate. If you show up somewhat casual but professional, they feel that you have other options and may recruit you/bend to your needs IF they like what they see. I would either not get a call back, or can negotiate cost upwards.

Haha.. Im the only candidate for the job right now and they would be doing me a favor by giving it to me so no negotiations. The interview is basically a test (problem solving/data analysis stuff). Problem is, I graduated a month and have since forgotten how to do math.

Ehh.. Im gonna get there on time but Im gonna be pissed super excited if I get an envelope while Im gone.

FTFY/M :)

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mss455 wrote:

I used to get to interviews fashionably late (like 5 minutes). There is some gamesmanship in these things. If you show up 15-20 minutes a head of time you seem eager and desperate. If you show up somewhat casual but professional, they feel that you have other options and may recruit you/bend to your needs IF they like what they see. I would either not get a call back, or can negotiate cost upwards.

tell me you are joking.

if someone came to my firm 5 minutes late for an interview, that is an automatic minus, even if the person has a hotshot resume. this is of course, my firm's own set of rules, but i think it would apply to most offices that would want to employ respectable, respectful adults who will be a good fit to that particular workplace.

it has been my experience that an office full of intelligent strong-resumed professionals will likely hire someone who will be willing to be a good fit to the office and a team player, as opposed to someone who thinks he or she is superior or deserves to be treated better. in fact, we recently fired a harvard grad who thought he was the bee's knees and just was not a team player.

of course, every office has its own set of rules but i would always always always err in the side of caution, in job-searching especially in a job market like today.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:32 pm

jd2014! wrote:Question: do we have any sense of what areas/zip codes of BK have already received VCEs?

Someone said Greenpoint, and I'm Cobble Hill.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Interview etiquette is nice, but everytime this thread lights up I think there is info about VCEs. Can you guys maybe take this outside?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 pm

NEVAR!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 pm

rs2004 wrote:tell me you are joking.

Unfortunately I am not. Business negotiations (like hiring) is an art. Of course you adjust your strategies based on who the audience is, but there is a lot of game playing. Disclaimer: don't know about the legal world.

Not everyone is privy to this game playing, BTW.

Postby 4102011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:37 pm

eskimo wrote:NEVAR! gdane

Hahaha yeah staying on-topic while trying to keep myself from stalking my mailman (if he's even coming!!) is impossible :(

EVERYONE GO HERE AND PLAY MAFIA WITH ME.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145301

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:37 pm

jd2014! wrote:Interview etiquette is nice, but everytime this thread lights up I think there is info about VCEs. Can you guys maybe take this outside?

Not at 11:30 AM on a snow day. There is NO WAY to see VCE at the moment, so this is perfect for killing time. Feel free to up the ante with some lolcats.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:38 pm

Mafia is the ONLY WAY to make the wait go by faster!

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:38 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
jd2014! wrote:Question: do we have any sense of what areas/zip codes of BK have already received VCEs?

Someone said Greenpoint, and I'm Cobble Hill.

Bah. I can't make sense of this.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”