Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LinzerTorte

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby LinzerTorte » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:17 pm

dulcatis wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:I haven't checked in here since people first started getting the vom-velopes. Are NYCers freaking out if they didn't get one yesterday? Are we holding out hope for today? I'm in Brooklyn and had an empty mailbox last night...

Grumbles! We have been freaking out, but perhaps irrationally. Only two (I think) people in Manhattan got letters yesterday, so there are definitely a lot left to go in that borough. At least one person got one in Queens. Several people got them in Brooklyn. However, due to the little bit of snow yesterday and the general weirdness of NYC mail patterns, there is speculation that not all is lost. The fact that you haven't gotten yours yet adds to this optimism. I forget - are you in Central Brooklyn?

Two Manhattan, three Brooklyn, & two Queens if my spreadsheet's right (I stopped paying attention for a while). For last year it was the first two days for NYCers, but what with the lovely weather we're having, maybe tomorrow too?

& congrats!!

Congrats new VCE-receivers, and with the nonsense outside occurring here, I would not be shocked if assorted NYC people don't get letters until Friday, let alone people off of the island of Manhattan.

lotus924

Postby lotus924 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:18 pm

lotus924 wrote:
thunderflesh wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I have some good/bad news for all the international applicants. I spoke with Columbia's admission office this morning and they informed me that emails are not sent out to every international applicant. She said that only in certain cases (which she failed to specify) are emails sent out prior to decision letters. So if this is the case, we could be in but not find out for the next couple weeks (approximately three weeks for me if NYU was any indication).

This sounds a bit strange and suspect to me, but this is the information given to me from the Columbia admissions office. I am hoping that it is correct.

They might have said that b/c of Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if they just did snail mail for Toronto but e-mail for, I don't know, Prague.

I agree. It's highly plausible that international applicants in the Americas would not get emails
whereas applicants from other continents do get them.

I'm in Asia and received the email on the 25th :D

Congrats!!

Thanx!! and good luck!

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:19 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:I haven't checked in here since people first started getting the vom-velopes. Are NYCers freaking out if they didn't get one yesterday? Are we holding out hope for today? I'm in Brooklyn and had an empty mailbox last night...

Grumbles! We have been freaking out, but perhaps irrationally. Only two (I think) people in Manhattan got letters yesterday, so there are definitely a lot left to go in that borough. At least one person got one in Queens. Several people got them in Brooklyn. However, due to the little bit of snow yesterday and the general weirdness of NYC mail patterns, there is speculation that not all is lost. The fact that you haven't gotten yours yet adds to this optimism. I forget - are you in Central Brooklyn?

Two Manhattan, three Brooklyn, & two Queens if my spreadsheet's right (I stopped paying attention for a while). For last year it was the first two days for NYCers, but what with the lovely weather we're having, maybe tomorrow too?

& congrats!!

Congrats new VCE-receivers, and with the nonsense outside occurring here, I would not be shocked if assorted NYC people don't get letters until Friday, let alone people off of the island of Manhattan.

More time for hope is good.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 pm

I'd be surprised if non-NYCers did not start hearing today, unless the envelopes didn't get to fly out yet. Has anyone outside of NYC & non-International heard yet? I could possibly not be paying close enough attention

Postby 4102011 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

& congrats!!

I want to believe! We'll see how optimistic I am after checking my mail at 5 :(

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:38 pm

dulcatis wrote:I want to believe! We'll see how optimistic I am after checking my mail at 5 :(

Good luck!!!

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:40 pm

My roommate is on envelope-watch (seriously having a roommate who works from home ROCKS), but I expect we won't get anything with this weather. DC is terrified of snow.

Also, someone got a follow-up acceptance package from GULC yesterday here in DC, which I did not get, so my mail service might just suck regardless of weather.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:42 pm

I can't believe today is the day I should be hearing. Been waiting so long for this. Will be severely disappointed if there is no VCE.

annie2010

Postby annie2010 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Congrats to the new admits! yay!!!

Hey are the dates for the asw in the packet??

bostonld

Postby bostonld » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Fresh wrote:I'd be surprised if non-NYCers did not start hearing today, unless the envelopes didn't get to fly out yet. Has anyone outside of NYC & non-International heard yet? I could possibly not be paying close enough attention

Yes :D Just received in New England

Postby 4102011 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:44 pm

thunderflesh wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I want to believe! We'll see how optimistic I am after checking my mail at 5 :(

Good luck!!!

Thanks! I'm strangely calm about it right now. I'm sure I'll start freaking out while I'm in class waiting to go home and check, though. But having a consolation prize of a giant batch of brownies is pretty awesome.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:46 pm

dulcatis wrote:But having a consolation prize of a giant batch of brownies is pretty awesome.

Ugh. I'm starving.

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:46 pm

thecilent wrote:
dulcatis wrote:But having a consolation prize of a giant batch of brownies is pretty awesome.

Ugh. I'm starving.

I want one!!

Postby 4102011 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:47 pm

thecilent wrote:

Ugh. I'm starving.

Y'know what would make you feel better?

VOMIT.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

annie2010 wrote:Congrats to the new admits! yay!!!

Hey are the dates for the asw in the packet??

March 2 & 3 and March 30 & 31.

Unfortunately I'm not going to either one, can't fly back :cry:
Buuuuuut I will be going to the "Monday at Columbia" on April 18 if anyone wants to get a drink! :)

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

To International Applicants (esp. Canadian),

I just called admissions and asked whether emails are being sent out for Canadian applicants. She said that the ad. com. depending on the address MAY opt for email but doesn't necessarily do so. So if you have received no email, it does not indicate a rejection. They are not consistent in their emails.

Yay?

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

So the only RD decisions that have come up thus far are acceptances, right? And for rejections/WL's, do we know whether Columbia sends decisions by email or snail mail?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:49 pm

dulcatis wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Ugh. I'm starving.

Y'know what would make you feel better?

VOMIT.

Indeed.

bosox777

Postby bosox777 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:49 pm

Just got the letter! Boston area, complete 12/17.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Congrats bosox. This is def getting exciting now.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm

mrmangs wrote:So the only RD decisions that have come up thus far are acceptances, right? And for rejections/WL's, do we know whether Columbia sends decisions by email or snail mail?

Last year's thread indicates that they were sent via snail mail too. That should begin some time in early Feb?

EDIT: Congrats bosox!!

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:51 pm

dulcatis wrote:
thunderflesh wrote:

Good luck!!!

Thanks! I'm strangely calm about it right now. I'm sure I'll start freaking out while I'm in class waiting to go home and check, though. But having a consolation prize of a giant batch of brownies is pretty awesome.

Yeah, same thing happened to me last night, dulc. Which is why I have been a bit sheepish and kept my big fat mouth shut ITT. My mailbox checker found no vomit, so I am now going back and forth between bracing myself for a rejection and holding out hope that something will pop up today. Hopefully the snow doesn't mess things up too much. Again, living vicariously through you, so I am looking forward to your 5 pm mail check. Also, I ate lots of chocolate last night to console myself...

schrute13

Postby schrute13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Vomit (colored envelope) in my mailbox!! I submitted around 11/15, complete 12/15, RD. Stats-171/3.8ish. Congrats to all the other admits!

schrute13

Postby schrute13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Oh and i'm in the DC area, btw

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm

dulcatis wrote:
thunderflesh wrote:

Good luck!!!

You made me lust. I just had a brownie. You know I promised myself I wouldn't have one today (For the record, I have had one everyday for the past 2 weeks). But oh waiting for these envelopes made me relapse.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”