Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahlawg

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:35 pm

law_monkey wrote:
jd2014! wrote:
dbrddr wrote::lol:

My theory on why Columbia's taking so long is that they're waiting on a shipment of non-vomit-colored envelopes to confuse/surprise the crap out of everyone on TLS.

Or they are busy collecting enough vomit to color the envelopes...

Or they are busy creating personalized lolcats that will be found with our acceptance letters inside the vomit-colored envelopes.

I want a lolbunny

--ImageRemoved--

he's just so happy with that floor.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 pm

I nearly had a heart attack when I checked & found my UChicago envelope.

DAMN YOU, OTHER C.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:00 pm

dulcatis wrote:I nearly had a heart attack when I checked & found my UChicago envelope.

DAMN YOU, OTHER C.

Is it vomit-colored?

Postby 4102011 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Nah it's white, and had a big "University of Chicago" sticker thing so my freakout only lasted two seconds.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:32 pm

dulcatis wrote:Nah it's white, and had a big "University of Chicago" sticker thing so my freakout only lasted two seconds.

It was a lovely packet though!

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 pm

law_monkey wrote:
jd2014! wrote:
dbrddr wrote::lol:

My theory on why Columbia's taking so long is that they're waiting on a shipment of non-vomit-colored envelopes to confuse/surprise the crap out of everyone on TLS.

Or they are busy collecting enough vomit to color the envelopes...

Or they are busy creating personalized lolcats that will be found with our acceptance letters inside the vomit-colored envelopes.

If they did this, I would abandon Michigan and move to NYC.

Ok probably not but it would be tempting

adiaz43

Postby adiaz43 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 pm

hey guys long time reader clearly don't post to often as this is only my 2nd, just curious if anyone knows anything about application waiver fees from columbia? i received one and im not in their range (164/3.2/URM-cuban? so i don't even know if i count). thanks for your help.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 pm

adiaz43 wrote:hey guys long time reader clearly don't post to often as this is only my 2nd, just curious if anyone knows anything about application waiver fees from columbia? i received one and im not in their range (164/3.2/URM-cuban? so i don't even know if i count). thanks for your help.

They aren't indicative that you'll get in. According to convential TLS wisdom, Cuban isn't really given a full, proper URM boost, and your numbers are way out of their range. Many suspect that they send out some of these in order to ensure a high number of applications and a high number of applications rejected, ensuring a low admittance %. The odds are greatly against you. I personally wouldn't apply with those numbers.

ETA: To put some numbers in it, your index # is 3.66. a 4.3 gives you (very roughly) a 25% shot at admittance, and 4.4 is 50/50.
Last edited by Knock on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adiaz43

Postby adiaz43 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Knock wrote:
adiaz43 wrote:hey guys long time reader clearly don't post to often as this is only my 2nd, just curious if anyone knows anything about application waiver fees from columbia? i received one and im not in their range (164/3.2/URM-cuban? so i don't even know if i count). thanks for your help.

They aren't indicative that you'll get in. According to convential TLS wisdom, Cuban isn't really given a full, proper URM boost, and your numbers are way out of their range. Many suspect that they send out some of these in order to ensure a high number of applications and a high number of applications rejected, ensuring a low admittance %. The odds are greatly against you. I personally wouldn't apply with those numbers.

thats what i figured, thanks for your help.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 pm

adiaz43 wrote:
Knock wrote:

Np, best of luck to you on the rest of your cycle :).

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:54 pm

Knock wrote:
adiaz43 wrote:
Knock wrote:

That's not helpful. Although I agree that fee waivers do not mean that you will be accepted or even that they really want your application, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking the opportunity and applying. What exactly do you have to lose? Don't spend the rest of your life wondering because of someone's TLS advice (who btw, is your competitor and has a vested interest in you not applying, especially as a URM). Seriously.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Knock just said that he personally wouldn't apply, he didn't tell him anything super bitchy or anything. And considering Knock applied months ago and this guy would be applying in late January (presumably), he doesn't really have a vested interest because they're (probably) not going to be compared, as Knock's app has already been decided on most likely (ahhh!).

Also, Knock's URM too.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 pm

caligulove wrote:
Knock wrote:
adiaz43 wrote:
Knock wrote:

That's not helpful. Although I agree that fee waivers do not mean that you will be accepted or even that they really want your application, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking the opportunity and applying. What exactly do you have to lose? Don't spend the rest of your life wondering because of someone's TLS advice (who btw, is your competitor and has a vested interest in you not applying, especially as a URM). Seriously.

Err, i'm trying to give good advice. Sometimes good advice may hurt, but I would appreciate if someone told honest advice even if it wasn't the best news. Again, Cuban isn't really considered "URM," at least in the traditional, full-boost, manner generally though of when you mention URM.

Trust me, 1 person applying or not applying is a huge deal. I've read dozens of PSs, DSs, LOCIs, and given what I feel is honest advice even when people are arguably much more "competitive," even when that school is my dream school. But the way I think about it, is that TLS is such a small percentage of the applicant pool, there's no point in having a competitive (in a cutthroat manner that is, nothing wrong with some friendly competition :)) attitude.

Feel free to disagree with me, I make no claims, never have and never will, that my opinion is the only correct one, or an infallible one. I just try and give honest input/opinion in the manner I would like to receive it as well.

Also, everything Dulcatis said.

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:40 pm

I wasn't trying to question your motives, and I generally agree with the advice you gave regarding fee waivers. At the same time I wanted to let adiaz know that it would not hurt to send in an app, he/she would lose nothing except for that $12 - a small price to pay for even the most infinitely small chance of getting into a school of this caliber. I don't disagree with being realistic, but I also don't agree with not taking every opportunity that comes your way, because you never know what might come of it. So in my honest opinion, this person should apply; I would tell you the same if your numbers were similar.

I also want to add that, as rare as it is, T10 schools do take applicants with those kinds of numbers when something in their app catches the eye of someone in admissions. It could literally be anything that makes them stand out and lead someone to throw them a bone. One may call it divine intervention but on the off chance that it does happen it would be worth it to apply.
Err, i'm trying to give good advice. Sometimes good advice may hurt, but I would appreciate if someone told honest advice even if it wasn't the best news. Again, Cuban isn't really considered "URM," at least in the traditional, full-boost, manner generally though of when you mention URM.

Trust me, 1 person applying or not applying is a huge deal. I've read dozens of PSs, DSs, LOCIs, and given what I feel is honest advice even when people are arguably much more "competitive," even when that school is my dream school. But the way I think about it, is that TLS is such a small percentage of the applicant pool, there's no point in having a competitive (in a cutthroat manner that is, nothing wrong with some friendly competition :)) attitude.

Feel free to disagree with me, I make no claims, never have and never will, that my opinion is the only correct one, or an infallible one. I just try and give honest input/opinion in the manner I would like to receive it as well.

Also, everything Dulcatis said.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 pm

Sorry for being a super noob, but is there an Under Review status?

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:46 pm

No, just Complete.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:09 am

Man, I want a personalized lolcat along with my acceptance.

dbrddr

Postby dbrddr » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:11 am

Obama's Solicitor General nominee is a CLS alum (Editor-in-Chief of the Columbia Law Review)

dianaw

Postby dianaw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:13 am

adiaz43 wrote:
Knock wrote:

I think you should definitely apply! You already have a fee waiver, and the application's the same as any other, no extra essays, what's the worst that can happen? Same as not applying!

*btw not taking sides, i just think there's no harm in trying

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:16 am

LinzerTorte wrote:Man, I want a personalized lolcat along with my acceptance.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:21 am

Knock wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:Man, I want a personalized lolcat along with my acceptance.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Casey2889

Postby Casey2889 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:46 am

dbrddr wrote:Obama's Solicitor General nominee is a CLS alum (Editor-in-Chief of the Columbia Law Review)

Eric Holder also went to CLS (and Columbia UG, what up), not to mention that, despite people only seeming to care that he went to HLS, Obama graduated from Columbia UG.

/reppin the UG

hellome

Postby hellome » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 am

Good morning Columbia, rise and shine!!

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:54 am

dianaw wrote:
adiaz43 wrote:
Knock wrote:

I think you should definitely apply! You already have a fee waiver, and the application's the same as any other, no extra essays, what's the worst that can happen? Same as not applying!

*btw not taking sides, i just think there's no harm in trying

+1. Probably not going to happen, but for only $12 I'd say it's worth a shot

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:04 am

So they probably worked through the weekend to get packages sent out yesterday...

Good luck IN new york city today!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”