Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Confused7 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks Weirdlog. Today marks my ~2 week mark as well. Oh well...patience I suppose. :)

ehh2109
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ehh2109 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:59 pm

.
Last edited by ehh2109 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:09 pm

ehh2109 wrote:I'm trying to decide whether or not to apply to Columbia. I won't go there unless they offer serious $$. 178 LSAT, 3.76 GPA from an Ivy League school, 2 years work experience, and I'm guessing my LORs are pretty average. They gave me a fee waiver, but I don't want to apply if I wouldn't be serious about going there (since that makes people angry).

(I made a new account to match my LSN username, thus why it says this is my first post.)


I think people got Hamiltons/butlers before with your numbers... you have a shot to get good money.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Sentry » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:13 pm

ehh2109 wrote:I'm trying to decide whether or not to apply to Columbia. I won't go there unless they offer serious $$. 178 LSAT, 3.76 GPA from an Ivy League school, 2 years work experience, and I'm guessing my LORs are pretty average. They gave me a fee waiver, but I don't want to apply if I wouldn't be serious about going there (since that makes people angry).

(I made a new account to match my LSN username, thus why it says this is my first post.)

Why wouldn't you apply there? With that GPA you could get shut out of HYS.

People with 3.6-3.79 and 175-180
Yale 3 Accepted 27WL/Rejected
Stanford 1 Accepted 29WL/Rejected
Harvard 16 Accepted 27WL/Rejected
Last edited by Sentry on Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ehh2109
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ehh2109 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:17 pm

.
Last edited by ehh2109 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:21 pm

ehh2109 wrote:
Sentry wrote:
ehh2109 wrote:I'm trying to decide whether or not to apply to Columbia. I won't go there unless they offer serious $$. 178 LSAT, 3.76 GPA from an Ivy League school, 2 years work experience, and I'm guessing my LORs are pretty average. They gave me a fee waiver, but I don't want to apply if I wouldn't be serious about going there (since that makes people angry).

Why wouldn't you apply there? With that GPA you could get shut out of HYS.


Because I don't want to be $200,000 in debt when I graduate? I'd rather go to a school one or two lower ranked without paying for it than pay that much for CLS.


Well, there's no harm in applying (except the application fee, of course), and obviously you'll never know if you'd get big money unless you applied. Plus, all things equal, a CLS acceptance alone can be sufficient down the line to leverage more money from another school. Now, I don't know how much of this is exaggeration, but this one guy who went to my school claims his CLS acceptance with $0 was pretty much the single driving force is GW turning around and giving him a full scholarship WITHOUT EDing. Of course he tried it the other way after that and CLS wouldn't budge. And of course GW isn't anywhere near CLS's tier, a $75 application fee could very well turn into much more. YMMV.

ehh2109
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ehh2109 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:27 pm

.
Last edited by ehh2109 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:31 pm

No problem, glad I could throw my two cents in. And I may or may not have had a fee waiver as well (I have an LSAC one that covered it regardless), but because it's my top choice (hence the Early Decision there) I still would have paid the application fee if it was $300 out-of-pocket :D

ehh2109
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ehh2109 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:40 pm

.
Last edited by ehh2109 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Sentry » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:44 pm

ehh2109 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:No problem, glad I could throw my two cents in. And I may or may not have had a fee waiver as well (I have an LSAC one that covered it regardless), but because it's my top choice (hence the Early Decision there) I still would have paid the application fee if it was $300 out-of-pocket :D


Mine was hidden, but oh how I appreciated seeing it there. Pretty sure these applications are making me completely destitute.

email and ask for fee waivers. with your numbers you'll get quite a few.

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby pereira6 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:18 pm

ehh2109 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:No problem, glad I could throw my two cents in. And I may or may not have had a fee waiver as well (I have an LSAC one that covered it regardless), but because it's my top choice (hence the Early Decision there) I still would have paid the application fee if it was $300 out-of-pocket :D


Mine was hidden, but oh how I appreciated seeing it there. Pretty sure these applications are making me completely destitute.


I had an interesting situation. After a long time I had no e-mail for a fee waiver, so I sent the generic request to them, and they said if I didn't get an e-mail then I didn't get a fee waiver. Checked it again, yup, no fee waiver.

3 days later, when I actually applied, I had a fee waiver. Go figure.

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby yoitsmebenny » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:41 pm

ehh2109 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
ehh2109 wrote:
Sentry wrote:Because I don't want to be $200,000 in debt when I graduate? I'd rather go to a school one or two lower ranked without paying for it than pay that much for CLS.


Well, there's no harm in applying (except the application fee, of course), and obviously you'll never know if you'd get big money unless you applied. Plus, all things equal, a CLS acceptance alone can be sufficient down the line to leverage more money from another school. Now, I don't know how much of this is exaggeration, but this one guy who went to my school claims his CLS acceptance with $0 was pretty much the single driving force is GW turning around and giving him a full scholarship WITHOUT EDing. Of course he tried it the other way after that and CLS wouldn't budge. And of course GW isn't anywhere near CLS's tier, a $75 application fee could very well turn into much more. YMMV.


Thanks, that helped. I'll submit. I got a fee waiver from CLS, so it's only $12. :)

You were seriously agonizing that much over $12?

User avatar
JoeShmoe11
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:49 pm

For anyone interested or who has a similar situation: My status is "Completion Pending" even though I submitted everything 8 days ago. I called an hour ago and the secretary (who was very nice! :D) said that "My application was almost done being compiled" or something to that extent. When I asked if this delay would keep me from being considered for ED she said "Your application will still be considered for early decision, I wouldn't worry. In fact I specifically remember someone going over your application".

I guess this answers a few questions: 1) If you are at "Completion Pending" right now don't worry! 2) They have not finished compiling all the apps yet which leads me to believe they may not have or are probably just starting going over apps for admission.

If anyone has any input feel free to to do so, just figured Id let everyone here know what I know.

padthai
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby padthai » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 pm

To the posters whose questions never got answered-

If you are a retaker, I think Columbia will take your highest LSAT score and your highest index. I mean, if they really care that much about rankings (which I'm sure they do), they would want to report high GPAs and LSATs to the ABA, right?

Although I'm pretty sure they look at all LSAT scores, they highest score will most heavily influence their decision.

ehh2109
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ehh2109 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:13 pm

.
Last edited by ehh2109 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Ghost » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:17 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

masson
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby masson » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Kili wrote:First batch of ED admits will likely come out in 8 days (assuming similarity to last year's cycle). Enjoy your holidays everyone before the anxiety kicks in :shock:

Thanks for the info! only 8 days away!!! but why am I feeling kinda anxious already.. sigh...

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby pereira6 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:09 pm

padthai wrote:To the posters whose questions never got answered-

If you are a retaker, I think Columbia will take your highest LSAT score and your highest index. I mean, if they really care that much about rankings (which I'm sure they do), they would want to report high GPAs and LSATs to the ABA, right?

Although I'm pretty sure they look at all LSAT scores, they highest score will most heavily influence their decision.


From the information I have, regardless of whether a law school averages applicants' LSATs or not, they only report the highest.

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby jd2014! » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Anybody know the date of the first RD acceptances last year?

User avatar
renaissanceman83
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby renaissanceman83 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:24 am

My status changed yesterday from completion pending to complete. According to the email, notification of acceptance or denial is only by mail. Was this the case last year? Curious too about when the first RD decisions came last year.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby shanemahsa » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:11 am

EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!!!

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby Ghost » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:04 am

.
Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ringdabell
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby ringdabell » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:48 pm

I RDed. and submitted my app on 11/2 ish.
My app status has everything checked but still "COMPLETIONG PENDING"
How long does it take for the status to change?
ANY RD heard back?

TrustMeI'mAnActress
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby TrustMeI'mAnActress » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:49 pm

ringdabell wrote:I RDed. and submitted my app on 11/2 ish.
My app status has everything checked but still "COMPLETIONG PENDING"
How long does it take for the status to change?
ANY RD heard back?


I'm in the same boat. Glad I'm not alone...

hulahoop
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:29 pm

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby hulahoop » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:24 pm

TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:
ringdabell wrote:I RDed. and submitted my app on 11/2 ish.
My app status has everything checked but still "COMPLETIONG PENDING"
How long does it take for the status to change?
ANY RD heard back?


I'm in the same boat. Glad I'm not alone...


same here. sounds like they are focusing on getting all the EDs processed before they concern themselves with us 'regular' folks.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”