Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:08 am

vertex wrote:Wait I filled out the FAFSA but I didn't have to pay for anything. What's NeedAccess?

It's a different paid service that most of the top schools require. $28 for an account. They ask for a lot more detailed information that each law school ask for (they present you different questions based on what schools you select).

needaccess.org

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 am

Cant remember if this has been answered or not.. do hamilton offers come with decision letters??

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:27 am

tkgrrett wrote:Cant remember if this has been answered or not.. do hamilton offers come with decision letters??

I think so. A quick search yielded:

Just in today, with a Hamilton.

and

But things feel different after you open that letter and see them talk about how much money they're willing to give you.

(with "that letter" being the acceptance letter)

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:29 am

eskimo wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Cant remember if this has been answered or not.. do hamilton offers come with decision letters??

I think so. A quick search yielded:

Just in today, with a Hamilton.

and

But things feel different after you open that letter and see them talk about how much money they're willing to give you.

(with "that letter" being the acceptance letter)

Sweet I thought so.. this will be a quick withdraw or dont withdraw decision then.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 am

r6_philly wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Thanks guys. I've filled out FAFSA to the best of my ability without having filed taxes yet. Did anyone else fill out the Need Access thing yet? My predicament is that I want to defer for a year to do a fellowship and I'm not sure if I should fill this out now or next year...

You have to pay for NeedAccess (once a year I think) so if you are not going this year I wouldn't pay for it. I guess if you decided to defer (and have the request granted) before the priority deadline then you won't have to do it for this year, if not you should do it anyway in case somehow you decide to attend anyway because filling it out late will delay your aid package (loans included). You have to go back to FAFSA once you file your taxes to update to actual numbers. Schools are probably going to ask you for copies of your tax return for verification and you want to make sure the forms match the updated FAFSA.

Thanks philly. I'll make a note to call schools tomorrow to confirm whether or not I should fill it out. It's only $28 anyway so it's not so bad even if I do have to do it this year for no reason. My only concern is that 1) I won't get the fellowship and, 2) schools don't grant my deferral request. Although I heard they are pretty lenient when it comes to the second one. Lastly, what's the "priority deadline"? I wasn't aware that schools had more than 1 deadline for financial aid.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:50 am

Confused7 wrote:Thanks philly. I'll make a note to call schools tomorrow to confirm whether or not I should fill it out. It's only $28 anyway so it's not so bad even if I do have to do it this year for no reason. My only concern is that 1) I won't get the fellowship and, 2) schools don't grant my deferral request. Although I heard they are pretty lenient when it comes to the second one. Lastly, what's the "priority deadline"? I wasn't aware that schools had more than 1 deadline for financial aid.

No problem, the priority deadline is usually the deadline that they use to guarantee that you receive an aid package before tuition is due. If you apply later you will still get paid but may not be in time. But since schools do admit students well into the summer, it isn't super important. However if you don't apply before the deadline if you are an early admit you may not get your package to compare to other schools in time. So as early as you can. It isn't really late until March anyway because many parents don't file taxes this year early. I won't be able to file taxes until mid Feb because all the forms that need to make their ways to me even though I am eager to get started.

Edited for wrong word.
Last edited by r6_philly on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:56 am

r6_philly wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Thanks philly. I'll make a note to call schools tomorrow to confirm whether or not I should fill it out. It's only $28 anyway so it's not so bad even if I do have to do it this year for no reason. My only concern is that 1) I won't get the fellowship and, 2) schools don't grant my deferral request. Although I heard they are pretty lenient when it comes to the second one. Lastly, what's the "priority deadline"? I wasn't aware that schools had more than 1 deadline for financial aid.

No problem, the priority deadline is usually the deadline that they use to guarantee that you receive an aid package before tuition is due. If you apply later you will still get paid but may not be in time. But since schools do admit students well into the summer, it isn't super important. However if you don't apply before the deadline if you are an early admit you may not get your package to compare to other schools in time. So as early as you can. It isn't really late until March anyway because many parents don't file taxes this year. I won't be able to file taxes until mid Feb because all the forms that need to make their ways to me even though I am eager to get started.

Good info. Yeah, this is my exact situation as well. Will definitely file EVERYTHING without questions if I just get some love from CLS this week. :D

Postby 4102011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:30 am

What is the priority deadline? March 1?

& if I remember my LSN stalking, Hamilton & Butler stuff comes with your initial letter and other stuff comes later.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:58 am

dulcatis wrote:What is the priority deadline? March 1?

& if I remember my LSN stalking, Hamilton & Butler stuff comes with your initial letter and other stuff comes later.

Butler is the half-scholly, right?

I wish Columbia at least hinted that some sort of decisions would be coming out soon... NYU updated their status checkers and Chicago tweeted in advance but Columbia is just a big black hole..... :|

ayahara

Postby ayahara » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Not to beat the unanswerable index question like a dead horse, but have we talked about whether it is as relevant if you have a below median LSAT? I am not talking reverse splitter territory: I am a 4.352, but I have a 171, and I don't know whether the 50/50 hope is applicable (especially without the ED boost).

(I am also suffering a major crisis of the real because I seem to be on the slooooow fast track to NYU's waitlist, and my Columbia Consider is becoming my only hope)

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:28 pm

ayahara wrote:Not to beat the unanswerable index question like a dead horse, but have we talked about whether it is as relevant if you have a below median LSAT? I am not talking reverse splitter territory: I am a 4.352, but I have a 171, and I don't know whether the 50/50 hope is applicable (especially without the ED boost).

(I am also suffering a major crisis of the real because I seem to be on the slooooow fast track to NYU's waitlist, and my Columbia Consider is becoming my only hope)

did you retake? I'm surprised you're not in at NYU. I know their median upped to 172 last year, but when you look at LSN so far, I hate seeing the sea of green and not being included (we have very similar numbers, but I retook, which is my justification for why NYU hates me =()

I'll be rooting for you for Columbia! I'm hoping the 50/50 will work in our favor.

ayahara

Postby ayahara » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:37 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
ayahara wrote:Not to beat the unanswerable index question like a dead horse, but have we talked about whether it is as relevant if you have a below median LSAT? I am not talking reverse splitter territory: I am a 4.352, but I have a 171, and I don't know whether the 50/50 hope is applicable (especially without the ED boost).

did you retake? I'm surprised you're not in at NYU. I know their median upped to 172 last year, but when you look at LSN so far, I hate seeing the sea of green and not being included (we have very similar numbers, but I retook, which is my justification for why NYU hates me =()

I'll be rooting for you for Columbia! I'm hoping the 50/50 will work in our favor.

I didn't retake AND applied early September, which makes it considerably more difficult to see that wave of green pass one by and not feel defective (and equally difficult not to wallow in ED regrets!). I will likewise root for you, and hope to see you in NYC!

pdiddy89

Postby pdiddy89 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:06 pm

is there a UR status for columbia? I am still at complete, can I expect a decision anytime soon?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:08 pm

pdiddy89 wrote:is there a UR status for columbia? I am still at complete, can I expect a decision anytime soon?

No.

The first wave of RD acceptances should be within 2 weeks for pre-thanksgiving people.

pdiddy89

Postby pdiddy89 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:09 pm

I applied 10/30, so a shot at a letter this week?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:10 pm

pdiddy89 wrote:I applied 10/30, so a shot at a letter this week?

You should if it didn't take you 2 months to go complete.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
pdiddy89 wrote:is there a UR status for columbia? I am still at complete, can I expect a decision anytime soon?

No.

The first wave of RD acceptances should be within 2 weeks for pre-thanksgiving people.

Someone needs to go stalk Columbia's adcomm office, and/or the nearest post office, and let us know when they see a big stalk of brownish-greenish envelopes. I'm sure we can all pitch in and help pay for their time.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:12 pm

kazu wrote:
dulcatis wrote:What is the priority deadline? March 1?

Butler is the half-scholly, right?

I wish Columbia at least hinted that some sort of decisions would be coming out soon... NYU updated their status checkers and Chicago tweeted in advance but Columbia is just a big black hole..... :|

Uh seriously. I am going to be going INSANE this week/until people in NYC hear back. And then if I don't hear in the first two days, I will open a bottle of wine and buy a dozen cupcakes and wallow in my grief.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:16 pm

kazu wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

No.

Someone needs to go stalk Columbia's adcomm office, and/or the nearest post office, and let us know when they see a big stalk of brownish-greenish envelopes. I'm sure we can all pitch in and help pay for their time.

If I was studying or working at or near Columbia I would totally do this.

Other volunteers? You can't miss it since they usually have administrative assistants and/or student volunteers do this. Quick, someone go sign up for daily self-guided tours starting tomorrow! :mrgreen:

pdiddy89

Postby pdiddy89 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:20 pm

i went complete on 11/15. when do they start sending out letters?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm

man, looking at LSN from last year...looks like all the beautiful acceptances came for two wonderful weeks...and then the bloodbath began. This thread is going to get crazy for the next month.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Soooo who's gonna call the admissions office and ask when the first wave of decisions will come out?

Nose goes!

-touches nose-

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:40 pm

sarahlawg wrote:man, looking at LSN from last year...looks like all the beautiful acceptances came for two wonderful weeks...and then the bloodbath began. This thread is going to get crazy for the next month.

Brace yourself for LOLcats.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:43 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:man, looking at LSN from last year...looks like all the beautiful acceptances came for two wonderful weeks...and then the bloodbath began. This thread is going to get crazy for the next month.

Brace yourself for LOLcats.

Wahhh! I just hope they're on the same schedule as last year so we don't have to wait eeeven longer!

& not it for calling them :)

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:46 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Soooo who's gonna call the admissions office and ask when the first wave of decisions will come out?

Nose goes!

-touches nose-

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”