Columbia 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
starrydreamz3

Re: Columbia 2011!

Postby starrydreamz3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm

vertex wrote:Called the admissions office today about ASWs.

Both ASWs are in March (first week and last week, I think).

Did you ask what color envelopes they're sending acceptances out in this year? This is vital information.

vertex

Postby vertex » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:19 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:

Did you ask what color envelopes they're sending acceptances out in this year? This is vital information.

This color.

Also for the ED admits (and maybe the early RD ones), he said our packets go out late Jan so "expect them early February."

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:

This may have been addressed earlier in the thread(if so I am sorry), but why do we think that Columbia is doing snail mail this year? Didn't they send ED acceptances, deferrals, and dings via email?
Last edited by bdubs on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 pm

bdubs wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:

This may have been addressed earlier in the thread(if so I am sorry), but why do we think that Columbia is doing snail mail this year? Didn't they send ED acceptances and denials via email?

They do RD via regular mail (I think).

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:00 pm

You don't know the specific days by any chance do you?

vertex

Postby vertex » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:23 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:

March 2-3 and March 30-31, but he didn't sound really confident about it, so I wouldn't make any definite plans.

Also, yes, those are weekdays. I think CLS does their ASWs on weekdays since last year I'm pretty sure it was.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:10 pm

vertex wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

March 2-3 and March 30-31, but he didn't sound really confident about it, so I wouldn't make any definite plans.

Also, yes, those are weekdays. I think CLS does their ASWs on weekdays since last year I'm pretty sure it was.

I am pretty sure this is correct because they usually schedule them to be the same week as NYU, and NYU has them March 3-4 and March 31-April 1.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:38 pm

eskimo wrote:
vertex wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

I am pretty sure this is correct because they usually schedule them to be the same week as NYU, and NYU has them March 3-4 and March 31-April 1.

Neither of which are during my spring break meaning I would have to miss a week of school to attend both (provided I get accepted at Columbia). I wonder how my professors are going to take the fact that I plan on never being in class this semester due to ASWs...

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 pm

Wait. So people who are accepted do not receive an email or anything? Just snail mail?

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:42 pm

law_monkey wrote:
eskimo wrote:
vertex wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:[

Neither of which are during my spring break meaning I would have to miss a week of school to attend both (provided I get accepted at Columbia). I wonder how my professors are going to take the fact that I plan on never being in class this semester due to ASWs...

I was just thinking about this. Thank the Lord that I am going to be off for most of the month of march.

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:42 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Wait. So people who are accepted do not receive an email or anything? Just snail mail?

If it remains like years past? Yes. Just snail mail for accepts, rejections, and WLs

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:45 pm

law_monkey wrote:Neither of which are during my spring break meaning I would have to miss a week of school to attend both (provided I get accepted at Columbia). I wonder how my professors are going to take the fact that I plan on never being in class this semester due to ASWs...

Yeah, I am freaking about ASWs. I have a ton of commitments at school + work + 18 hours of class, but I'm not spending $200,000 on a law degree without being absolutely sure about where I want to go, so I want to go to as many ASW's as possible to compare them to my top choice. Plus, everywhere I applied is very far away from where I am now. I'm going to be missing a LOT of class. :|

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 pm

daisyduke wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Wait. So people who are accepted do not receive an email or anything? Just snail mail?

If it remains like years past? Yes. Just snail mail for accepts, rejections, and WLs

Well shit. I made this mistake of having the incompetent USPS forward my mail home during winter break and now I don't get mail at either address (already lost several acceptance packages).

Does anybody know the carrier that ships the acceptance letter/package? Is it USPS or something else like UPS or Fedex?

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:51 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
daisyduke wrote:

Well shit. I made this mistake of having the incompetent USPS forward my mail home during winter break and now I don't get mail at either address (already lost several acceptance packages).

Does anybody know the carrier that ships the acceptance letter/package? Is it USPS or something else like UPS or Fedex?

I forwarded my mail over winter break and I had no problems. Are they really messing up your mail? :(

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Knock wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
daisyduke wrote:

I forwarded my mail over winter break and I had no problems. Are they really messing up your mail? :(

Me too. I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems :( I can't imagine it won't be fixed by the time we start hearing from CLS, but I really hope it is! :?

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:08 am

Me too. I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems :( I can't imagine it won't be fixed by the time we start hearing from CLS, but I really hope it is! :?

The only letter I have received is the one telling me my mail has been forwarded. No monthly bills, none of the acceptance letters already sent (I called and talked to some admissions offices), no junk mail-- nothing. It is only supposed to be lost--er, forwarded-- until the 15th, thankfully. When are acceptances supposed to come out?

Fwiw, I submitted in mid-late November.

Thanks guys!

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:12 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:

The only letter I have received is the one telling me my mail has been forwarded. No monthly bills, none of the acceptance letters already sent (I called and talked to some admissions offices), no junk mail-- nothing. It is only supposed to be lost--er, forwarded-- until the 15th, thankfully. When are acceptances supposed to come out?

Fwiw, I submitted in mid-late November.

Thanks guys!

Are you back at your school address now? I found out when my roommate returned to school that they only forward 1st or 2nd class mail and the rest is still delivered to the original address. Most of my stuff went to my school address still. My NYU letter didn't get forwarded bc they don't send 1st class like most of the rest of the schools. CLS stuff won't come out for at least another week probably so hopefully it will all be straightened by then. GL!!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 am

eskimo wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Neither of which are during my spring break meaning I would have to miss a week of school to attend both (provided I get accepted at Columbia). I wonder how my professors are going to take the fact that I plan on never being in class this semester due to ASWs...

Yeah, I am freaking about ASWs. I have a ton of commitments at school + work + 18 hours of class, but I'm not spending $200,000 on a law degree without being absolutely sure about where I want to go, so I want to go to as many ASW's as possible to compare them to my top choice. Plus, everywhere I applied is very far away from where I am now. I'm going to be missing a LOT of class. :|

That's exactly how I feel. Stalking all the schools' websites is not giving me any tiebreakers. I definitely need to actually set foot on campus before I make this decision. Plus since I'm on the west coast I have to leave the day before because none of the red-eye flights get me in on time if the programs start in the morning. I may not go to law school if I flunk out of my last semester of classes due to lack of attendance. :shock:

Postby 4102011 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:22 am

People don't really post about if they receive a follow-up e-mail at some point, but LSN definitely indicates that RD accepted people get notified via snail mail.

law_monkey wrote:
eskimo wrote:

That's exactly how I feel. Stalking all the schools' websites is not giving me any tiebreakers. I definitely need to actually set foot on campus before I make this decision. Plus since I'm on the west coast I have to leave the day before because none of the red-eye flights get me in on time if the programs start in the morning. I may not go to law school if I flunk out of my last semester of classes due to lack of attendance. :shock:

Seriously, I want to actually get a feel for the school and the students and whatnot, and looking at my calendar, fitting everything in is going to be a complete nightmare. I'm going to be gone the entire month of March :/ Bahhhh!

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:25 am

dulcatis wrote:Seriously, I want to actually get a feel for the school and the students and whatnot, and looking at my calendar, fitting everything in is going to be a complete nightmare. I'm going to be gone the entire month of March :/ Bahhhh!

My planner is going to give me nightmares. There are some weekends where I literally can't even write in anything else (and those aren't even soon - they're all the way in March and April!! :shock: :| )

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:27 am

That's why I am visiting now. I also don't necessarily like the horse and pony should schools put on. I am slightly allergic to marketing. So I will only attend ASWs after my initial screening. (not that I have that many to choose from :roll: )

GraniteState

Postby GraniteState » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:28 am

vertex wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:

This color.

Also for the ED admits (and maybe the early RD ones), he said our packets go out late Jan so "expect them early February."

Wait, didn't ED people hear in December? I'm confused. Don't most RD acceptances come at the end of January?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:29 am

eskimo wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Seriously, I want to actually get a feel for the school and the students and whatnot, and looking at my calendar, fitting everything in is going to be a complete nightmare. I'm going to be gone the entire month of March :/ Bahhhh!

My planner is going to give me nightmares. There are some weekends where I literally can't even write in anything else (and those aren't even soon - they're all the way in March and April!! :shock: :| )

I'm having scheduling issues too. A couple of my favorites are on the same weekend, so that basically means I'll have to decide beforehand since I'm more than likely going to be more impressed with the schools where I actually attend the ASW.

I also don't necessarily like the horse and pony should schools put on.

I'm the opposite. I've put all this time into convincing them to take me. It's my turn to be wooed!

Postby 4102011 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:34 am

eskimo wrote:

My google calendar has been taken over by ASW dates! UVA's being a certain weekend -> having to choose a certain UMich one, which means I have to choose another of X's school, etc etc. It's one giant clusterfuck! & if i were going to chicago's it'd spill over into April, too!

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:04 am

dulcatis wrote:My google calendar has been taken over by ASW dates! UVA's being a certain weekend -> having to choose a certain UMich one, which means I have to choose another of X's school, etc etc. It's one giant clusterfuck! & if i were going to chicago's it'd spill over into April, too!

OMG.

THIS IS WHY LOGIC GAMES ARE ON THE LSAT. :shock:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”